• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OPM: FFXVI coming 2021, next gen console exclusive (PS5)

Chukhopops

I'm curious how much it will sell during the exclusivity period and after considering the somewhat controversial reception of FFXV when it came out.

It seems most people ended up liking it after a few fixes and re-releases but from my point of view FFXV was the biggest disappointment of the generation, mostly because I was so hyped for it (still have the Special Edition hidden somewhere) and it was a gigantic letdown.

Not gonna fall down the hype trap on this one, hope it will be good though.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
final-fantasy-16-pc.jpg

I don't get where the confusion comes from, everything is right there!

Pallas

I think 2021 release date is way too optimistic but I’m still excited about this game. I’m Expecting 2022/2023 release date personally.

I dont play Fallout since i hardly managed to finish Fallout 3. I prefer New Vegas. I deleted Fallout 4 after a 2 hours or so.

I didnt finish Skyrim because it was boring and smaller than Morrorwind and Oblivion regards dungeon design. The Dragons are all repetitive as fuck and not really a big point of the game.

I dont plan on buying the next Elder Scrolls. I dont plan on buying the next Fallout if its not going to be a huge improvement over Fallout 3 and Fallout 4

But i may give FF 16 a try because i liked FF 7 Remake.

Bethesda is a glorified AA developer who acts like a AAA developer but all their games have huge flaws

I’ll give you Fallout4 was a disappointment but Skyrim was literally and arguably game of the generation last generation, I think you’re too harsh though by calling them glorified AA developer, they are one of the reasons that open world/sandbox environment games are such a hit these days.

Also the “nice trade” comment isn’t just Fallout/TES games, Starfield for one and let’s not think Zenimax is just Bethesda, they have several other good studios.

Next gen is going to be a exciting and I’m glad Xbox is going to be offering a unique experience like Playstation has been offering this and next gen.

Last edited:
After seeing Final Fantasy VII Remake as a timed exclusive on PS4 it wouldn't surprise me if Final Fantasy XVI is a timed exclusive for PS5 as well.

As much as I would like to see it happen, I can't see Final Fantasy XVI releasing in 2021. Especially after Square-Enix said the graphics seen in Final Fantasy XVI reveal were not finalised.

Elcid

Banned
Crazy to me that Playstation secured such a huge exclusive. Seems like Square Enix is pretty deep in bed with Sony atm.

Hell yeah! Finally a PS5 exclusive. That's like the first one I've heard of, other than Godfall and I have no interest in that since Gearbox is trash. Everything else is cross-gen and multiplatform.

You can never go wrong with the winning team. PlayStation and Switch owners are in for a 2021 treat when it comes to exclusives.

I feel for those that have become desensitized to the wait times. And this is just the start of this gen. Jesus!

Last edited:
Reactions: MrS
That would be great if they stick to their target release of 2021 but it is a brand new mainline Final Fantasy so I would expect a delay.

It will release on the PS5 in 2022 and then, given Square Enix are the publisher (not Sony), it will come to the PC in 2023.

Last edited:

Myths

If I were Sony, I would pay Square for future Final Fantasys to stay on PS. IDK and ask Square for a Parasite Eve remake.
I’ve been craving a PE Remake for a dog’s age. And I’ll continue to mention it (and vagrant Story) persistently. Can you imagine what a (nearly) fully footed bill by Sony for PE’s budget would look like as a PS5 exclusive? Plus competing with the likes of RE. 🔥

Digity

I’ve been craving a PE Remake for a dog’s age. And I’ll continue to mention it (and vagrant Story) persistently. Can you imagine what a (nearly) fully footed bill by Sony for PE’s budget would look like as a PS5 exclusive? Plus competing with the likes of RE. 🔥
We need a new Brave Fencer Musashi.

Last edited:

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
Didn't Square lose the source code?

These original multiplatform games launched as consoles exclusive are a dumb decision by the developers. It only benefits the platform holder...

I honestly don't understand these 3rd party exclusive deals. The developers lose a crapload of money by ignoring other platforms.
Id rather have this than behemoth monopolistic mega corps gobbling up 3rd party devs and their franchises only so they can prevent games on the other platform.... cough cough ms... cough...
At least pc and xbox owners will get this, albiet a bit late. Really that is a good thing. Bugs get ironed out and usually dlc and complete editions.
Why do we need to play games on day 1 at full price.
I have a multi-system backlog a millon miles long and can wait for any game. (its why my backlog is so large, steam, psplus and switch e-shop sales, mean lots and lots of unfinished games for peanuts).

I was originally referring to PC gaming, explicitly.
And, oh, the irony: Sony was the one reaching exclusivity deals with Bethesda.
For crap games imo.. I have no interest in deathloop, or what not. I have interest in tes6, doom, prey, fallout, prey...

Its ok though. MS did me a favor (along with the release of balders gate 3) . It didn't help that the ps5 pre-order fiasco was so fucked that I couldn't get a pre-order first thing that morning do to scalpers asshats.

You see without guaranteed bethesda support on ps5 and not getting the pre-order, I used the money I had saved for ps5 and upgrated my pc. From i3-3.2ghz 8gb ddr3 to ryzen 3600, 16gb ram , ssd, and gtx 1650super. This guarantees me at least any ms exclusives and bethesda games... and I still don't need to ever buy a bloody xbox.

Will get a ps5 to completment my pc and switch when they are freely available and more games are out. I can wait. Hopefully some will be available when ff16 comes out or before then. Really i just want it for demons souls as it my fav souls game.

Last edited:

Myths

They’ll just have to get it done again from scratch. What I did find interesting was their development idea behind T3B, treating it as a PS3 game and then scaling thereafter for PSP.

killatopak

I’m still buying both consoles but this is why PS5 is priority.

No need to suffer bullshit like timed exclusives not coming to my console.

XSX on the other will be my exclusive bethesda machine.

kuncol02

Banned
On Nintendo I didn't even know about this franchise, other than some reviews. They never bothered to bring it over to Europe. FFVII was the first mainline FF that saw a worldwide release and marketing to match IIRC.
So now we will act, like FFVI is not best in series and even more, Final Fantasy before playstation was unknown. Not that NES Final Fantasy saved Square right?

SkylineRKR

So now we will act, like FFVI is not best in series and even more, Final Fantasy before playstation was unknown. Not that NES Final Fantasy saved Square right?

idk.

I didn't know FF before VII. FF3 was reviewed here and there but that menu based combat looked dumb to me.

And I did play 3/6 later on. But I don't like it as much as FFVII. The way FFVII started, I think that was the perfect way to draw in a bigger crowd. FMV video of a city, mercs jumping off a train fighting soldiers and breaking in. Thats what kept me going. If FFVI was my first FF, who knows. Might've put it away.

Last edited:

Yumi

When does the FF7R exclusivity end? We'd have a better idea, I'd assume, of where this game could end up if FF7R heads there as well, right?
March 3rd 2021, one year after release.

I think you are right. Once we see how soon it comes to other platforms after that date ,should be indicative of how soon XVI will release on other platforms after the exclusivity deal is done.

ZZZZ

March 3rd 2021, one year after release.

I think you are right. Once we see how soon it comes to other platforms after that date ,should be indicative of how soon XVI will release on other platforms after the exclusivity deal is done.
It ends on April 10th 2021, actually.

Last edited:
These original multiplatform games launched as consoles exclusive are a dumb decision by the developers. It only benefits the platform holder...

I honestly don't understand these 3rd party exclusive deals. The developers lose a crapload of money by ignoring other platforms.

Honestly though, the game will sell much better on the PS5 since it’s a Japanese game and I’m sure SquareEnix and Sony knows that. FF7:R is already hit over 5 million units months ago and I doubt it would of went pass half a million on XBOX in that time frame and that’s being generous. Now if this was something like COD, Madden or Assassins Creed, then yeah they would be probably losing a plethora of money keeping it exclusive.

CrysisFreak

Banned
I felt bad for Sony fans when I initially heard of the Bethesda purchase, then I remember Sony has locked down my favorite hero and my favorite JRPG franchise.
PlayStation is the FF console since over two decades so you'd have a PlayStation if it was your fave franchise.

Vawn

Banned

He's saying it was mostly unknown for him because the games never came out where he lived. It's difficult to appreciate games that you can't get access to.

It was with Final Fantasy VII that the series became a worldwide mega-hit.

I do agree that FFVI is the best in the series and I became a fan from the very first one on the NES, and especially with IV on SNES. But, even in America, we only got three of the six Nintendo FF games.

GeorgPrime

Banned
I think 2021 release date is way too optimistic but I’m still excited about this game. I’m Expecting 2022/2023 release date personally.

I’ll give you Fallout4 was a disappointment but Skyrim was literally and arguably game of the generation last generation, I think you’re too harsh though by calling them glorified AA developer, they are one of the reasons that open world/sandbox environment games are such a hit these days.

Also the “nice trade” comment isn’t just Fallout/TES games, Starfield for one and let’s not think Zenimax is just Bethesda, they have several other good studios.

Next gen is going to be a exciting and I’m glad Xbox is going to be offering a unique experience like Playstation has been offering this and next gen.

Thats something i dont understand.

A game that was in parts worse than Morrorwind and even Oblivion (Oblivion was worse than Morrorwind) is the holy grail of Open World? So if the content declines the more people love it?

Witcher 3 is for me the best example how to do an Open World and way above Skyrim.

The Dragons were the main element of Skyrim but all the dragons were just copy and paste content which were quite boring after you discovered how one dragon works. Everything else was just well orchestrated marketing glibberish.

I got burned several times by Bethesda. If i have to expect the same quality for Starfield... then i wont buy it anyway.

And the rest of Zenimax.... i can only name one game that i can remember and thats Doom.

Last edited:
Top Bottom