• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OPM: FFXVI coming 2021, next gen console exclusive (PS5)

cormack12

Gold Member
Official PlayStation magazine via gamesradar

wbiAqGZ.jpeg

vnpSBc.jpg

final-fantasy-16-pc.jpg

EDMIX

I really hope they can improve the graphics before then. The reveal trail was underwhelming considering the mainline FF games have always featured flagship visuals.

After seeing how Cyberpunk 2077 and AC Valhalla improved after previews, I feel they are going to do fine. I think it was correct to show gameplay and let gamers know what they realistically will be able to play and not simply a CGI trailer that makes fans think its coming YEARS away or something. So I think it looks pretty good and its likely going to look way better later on.

i still believe its 2022 title

Likely. They did work on this game for over 4 years already, so I feel it could still be 2021, but 2022 is safe and more realistic. If it really does come 2021.....damn, Square really had a plan to Fallout 4 us with a release date soon after reveal lol

Maybe they planned this for years and really wanted to only reveal it when they knew it was within a time frame that a release window was likely a solid one and not a leap or something.

Ixion

People still care about Final Fantasy? I was sure that even most hardcore fans stopped carrying about that series after FFXIII.

FF7 Remake came out this year and it was a critical/commercial hit. FF14 is the second most popular MMO these days. Also, FF15, while greatly flawed, is one of the top selling games in the series with over 9 million units sold. So definitely still a lot of interest.

fermcr

These original multiplatform games launched as consoles exclusive are a dumb decision by the developers. It only benefits the platform holder...

I honestly don't understand these 3rd party exclusive deals. The developers lose a crapload of money by ignoring other platforms.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I thought was a given anyway?

Still, nice to know it's coming so soon..... now we just have to hope its a lot better than 15.

Is it? I feel like it's more popular than anything else at the moment, but obviously second to WoW in its prime.

FFXIV is easily the best Final Fantasy game in a long time, if you just play it like a single-player game.

Heavensward is pretty much the best FF story.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
These original multiplatform games launched as consoles exclusive are a dumb decision by the developers. It only benefits the platform holder...

I honestly don't understand these 3rd party exclusive deals. They lose a crapload of money by ignoring other platforms.

Depends who they're making the deal with. Final Fantasy always sells the vast majority on PlayStation. Before, XIII the series was always a console exclusive anyway.

Most people would have bought it on PlayStation anyway. Of those who WOULD have bought it on Xbox, many will just get it on PlayStation anyway, leaving a relatively small number of people who would have bought the game, but now won't.

The problem arises when you take a franchise associated with a platform away from that platform. Tomb Raider, for example, was always associated with PlayStation since the PS1 days. The decision to hold Rise of the Tomb Raider off PS4 for a year bit SE firmly on the ass. The same would be true if something like BioShock 4 became a PS5 console exclusive.

Brofist

Is it? I feel like it's more popular than anything else at the moment, but obviously second to WoW in its prime.

FFXIV is easily the best Final Fantasy game in a long time, if you just play it like a single-player game.

Still a decent ways behind WoW now.

Weirdly, I am aniticipating this game. It’s like having an abusive spouse, I just can’t bring myself to quit this franchise, no matter how forcefully or abused me...

fermcr

Depends who they're making the deal with. Final Fantasy always sells the vast majority on PlayStation. Before, XIII the series was always a console exclusive anyway.

Most people would have bought it on PlayStation anyway. Of those who WOULD have bought it on Xbox, many will just get it on PlayStation anyway, leaving a relatively small number of people who would have bought the game, but now won't.

The problem arises when you take a franchise associated with a platform away from that platform. Tomb Raider, for example, was always associated with PlayStation since the PS1 days. The decision to hold Rise of the Tomb Raider off PS4 for a year bit SE firmly on the ass. The same would be true if something like BioShock 4 became a PS5 console exclusive.

Yes, it will sell more copies on the PS5, but, lets say FF16 would sell 3-4 million copies on Xbox and PC... That's a lot of money. Who's covering those costs?... Sony?

Last edited:

Ixion

I could definitely be wrong since I'm not into MMOs, but I always hear about how WoW is still the most popular one (especially when including WoW Classic). Here is one article that goes over the monthly player counts. It mentions how FFXIV has become very popular due to the expansions, but WoW still beats it in monthly players.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Yet Final Fantasy VII Remake has had a comfortable home on PS4 and it went through the same thing. Yeah, it’s good for those “other platforms”, but the game gets 3/4 or more of its audience within that 6-12 months. It’s okay to throw the other side a rope, but it’s still a pretty big deal either way.

kuncol02

Banned
FF7 Remake came out this year and it was a critical/commercial hit. FF14 is the second most popular MMO these days. Also, FF15, while greatly flawed, is one of the top selling games in the series with over 9 million units sold. So definitely still a lot of interest.
Crash remake was critical and commercial hit too. New one shortly after that flopped.

I have a feeling this game is going to catch people by surprise. Might be return to form for square Enix.

Going by how confident they seem. Showing raw gameplay instead of polished slice, far into development on timely basis. I guess project is going smoothly for them.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I have a feeling this game is going to catch people by surprise. Might be return to form for square Enix.

Going by how confident they seem. Showing raw gameplay instead of polished slice, far into development on timely basis. I guess project is going smoothly for them.

God, I hope so.

15 was fucking awful, and 7 remake got bogged down in all that meta, fourth wall breaking nonsense towards the end that seemed clever at the time, but was just bloody lazy storytelling when you get right down to it.

16 needs to have a solid narrative and strong characters. Something that's been lacking for quite some time.

Vawn

Banned
Yes, it will sell more copies on the PS5, but, lets say FF16 would sell 3-4 million copies on Xbox and PC... That's a lot of money. Who's covering those costs?... Sony?

I wasn't counting PC, as I believe it will come to PC regardless. As for Xbox, a decent number of those will just get it for PS5 or PC. The number of lost sales for a JRPG by skipping Xbox is probably pretty small.

Obviously, the people at SquareEnix do these predictions and analysis before making these decisions.

ZywyPL

Banned
Exclusive or not, I don't see anything appealing in the game, from the reception I see over the internet since it looks to me that the series just lives on it's legacy more than anything else, I remember it all started somewhere around FF13 that was universally bashed left and right for whatever the reasons.

Vawn

Banned
I remember it all started somewhere around FF13 that was universally bashed left and right for whatever the reasons.

But XIV and VII Remake are beloved. Some crazy nutjobs think XV is a good game.

The franchise is still huge, even if it's not at the same level it was during the PS1 era.

John Day

I’m pretty sure it’ll go to XSeries eventually and hopefully PC. I’m glad it’s not a cross gen game, more focused on current tech.

SkylineRKR

Thats quicker than I thought.

So whats the deal with VII R? Its exclusive for a limited time but there doesn't seem to be a port in sight. Unless they can only talk about it after March 2021.

Last edited:
Top Bottom