• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OPM: FFXVI coming 2021, next gen console exclusive (PS5)

johntown

Banned
My guess regardless of what is said that it will be a timed exclusive. Every Final Fantasy always does this and then eventually releases on PC. Although it may be a year or more after release they all eventually go multi-platform.

Seems 18 months to 2 years too soon (I think it'll come out at the latest, by 2023); in Sony's recent show it looked firmly like a game in development and was the only one "running on PC emulating PS5".

Last edited:

CAB_Life

Is it? I feel like it's more popular than anything else at the moment, but obviously second to WoW in its prime.

FFXIV is easily the best Final Fantasy game in a long time, if you just play it like a single-player game.

ESO is the 2nd most popular/ populated MMO atm. FFXIV is 5th, according to this list. Other lists are all relatively the same, but ESO saw a massive player surge with the Skyrim nostalgia crowd this year—and their latest Chapter, based in Skyrim.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Really looking forward to this. Finally... A Final Fantasy I can get behind. Reminds me of 9 and 12 Which is what I want and combat looks great

AllBizness

Banned
Sony needs to lock down the Final Fantasy games as full blown exclusives in response to Microsoft's Bethesda purchase.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned

ESO is the 2nd most popular/ populated MMO atm. FFXIV is 5th, according to this list. Other lists are all relatively the same, but ESO saw a massive player surge with the Skyrim nostalgia crowd this year—and their latest Chapter, based in Skyrim.

Those others are F2P MMOs.

The best thing about this game so far is the amount of anguish it has caused certain...communities...over whether or not the extremely white looking characters are white. :messenger_winking:

Metnut

2021 is looking to be a monster year for PS5. Picking right up where 2020 left off for the PS4. The biggest issue for people will be trying to find PS5s since there’s such high demand.

JLB

Banned
I wasn't counting PC, as I believe it will come to PC regardless. As for Xbox, a decent number of those will just get it for PS5 or PC. The number of lost sales for a JRPG by skipping Xbox is probably pretty small.

Obviously, the people at SquareEnix do these predictions and analysis before making these decisions.

Of course, because Xbox players only like FPS. And are kids. Mean, fat kids.

Paid timed exclusivity....fuck that.

I understand it, but I hate it, too. I`ll never get a game for PS5 if I know that I can play a better version of it a little bit later on PC.

CAB_Life

Those others are F2P MMOs.

What relevance does that have to do with anything? You’re still seemingly confused by your own metrics, too. Most popular/ populated MMO is what’s relevant. Regardless, BDO is buy to play on most platforms. Guild Wars 2 is also buy to play. And if you’re going by some arbitrary “subscription or other paid model”, ESO still has about 3X the player base and there are still four games ahead of FFXIV, which is not, by any metric we’ve discussed, the most popular or populated MMO.

Perrott

Gold Member
The "Official" PlayStation Magazine UK has been sharing wrong information about PS5 for months now. They know NOTHING and this is 100% fake news.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if late 2021 was the target release date for the game at some point, but given Square Enix's CEO statements about covid, I think the game will be delayed to early 2022.

GeorgPrime

Banned

I dont play Fallout since i hardly managed to finish Fallout 3. I prefer New Vegas. I deleted Fallout 4 after a 2 hours or so.

I didnt finish Skyrim because it was boring and smaller than Morrorwind and Oblivion regards dungeon design. The Dragons are all repetitive as fuck and not really a big point of the game.

I dont plan on buying the next Elder Scrolls. I dont plan on buying the next Fallout if its not going to be a huge improvement over Fallout 3 and Fallout 4

But i may give FF 16 a try because i liked FF 7 Remake.

Bethesda is a glorified AA developer who acts like a AAA developer but all their games have huge flaws

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
So basically rushed version comes out on PS5, then one year down the road, maybe two, PC and Xbox receive the definitive edition, with it also appearing again on PS5.

By today's standards dont know if that's actually good to be honest.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
I dont play Fallout since i hardly managed to finish Fallout 3. I prefer New Vegas. I deleted Fallout 4 after a 2 hours or so.

I didnt finish Skyrim because it was boring and smaller than Morrorwind and Oblivion regards dungeon design. The Dragons are all repetitive as fuck and not really a big point of the game.

I dont plan on buying the next Elder Scrolls. I dont plan on buying the next Fallout if its not going to be a huge improvement over Fallout 3 and Fallout 4

But i may give FF 16 a try because i liked FF 7 Remake.

Bethesda is a glorified AA developer who acts like a AAA developer but all their games have huge flaws

Too much "I".

JLB

Banned
Yeah he should pull a Phil and just outright buy them for permanent exclusives.

You are talking of same Phil that made all Xbox games available on PC? The same Phil that conformed that all new Xbox Game Studios will be on PC? I mean, theres even Xbox Studios's games that are on PC and not on Xbox lol

oagboghi2

You are talking of same Phil that made all Xbox games available on PC? The same Phil that conformed that all new Xbox Game Studios will be on PC? I mean, theres even Xbox Studios's games that are on PC and not on Xbox lol
The same Phil that bought a major publishers just to prevent PlayStation owners from playing Bethesda games in the future.

i think that is what he is referring to

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member

The same Phil that bought a major publishers just to prevent PlayStation owners from playing Bethesda games in the future.

Who -- to date -- hasn't made any Bethesda games exclusive. If you want to assume that he will, fine, go ahead, but he hasn't yet, so it's all just speculation.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Excellent if true! The future of the franchise is looking pretty good, hopefully we can get a conclusion to the Final Fantasy 7 remake without it taking 6 parts and over a decade.

JLB

Banned

I was originally referring to PC gaming, explicitly.
And, oh, the irony: Sony was the one reaching exclusivity deals with Bethesda.

LOL, so it's not really a console exclusive if it's coming out on the XSX in a year after release, now is it?

The only console exclusive RPGs we know of in development are all over with Bethesda right now. That and whatever Paper Mario RPG Nintendo (that isn't a HD Remaster of the original Paper Mario or The Thousand-Year Door) is working on.

Javthusiast

Banned
There is no fucking way FFXVI, Horizon 2, GoW Ragnarök, Ratchet and Gran Turismo 7 all hit within the same year. Games will be delayed, but if not...

tenor.gif

Kumomeme

Likely. They did work on this game for over 4 years already, so I feel it could still be 2021, but 2022 is safe and more realistic. If it really does come 2021.....damn, Square really had a plan to Fallout 4 us with a release date soon after reveal lol

Maybe they planned this for years and really wanted to only reveal it when they knew it was within a time frame that a release window was likely a solid one and not a leap or something.

and considering yoshi-p gonna launch XIV 6.0 expansion next year, i doubt they gonna launch XVI at same time unless the release date gap for both is pretty far off. it is also gonna line up nicely with VII Remake part 2 for 2023, if we consider atleast 3 years for development time.

but if they did launch XVI next year together with XIV 6.0, then 2021 gonna be crazy years for Creative Bussiness Unit 3. CBU3 gonna owned that year. They probably even carrying the whole company for 2021.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
The idea of combat in FF games now is just a frantic fucking mess, it started with 13, went into 15 and that remake of 7, they just can’t scrape their previous “work” and make a new system from the ground up that might actually be good. This is what is holding the series back for me.

Fbh

If true that's A LOT sooner than expected. I though the game would now go silent for at least 2 or 3 years.
Won't buy at launch though, I'm still salty about FFXV and how they sold me an early access game as a full release.

Also, guys it's a timed exclusive. Big third party exclusives that are neither developed nor published by the console maker don't exist anymore.

The idea of combat in FF games now is just a frantic fucking mess, it started with 13, went into 15 and that remake of 7, they just can’t scrape their previous “work” and make a new system from the ground up that might actually be good. This is what is holding the series back for me.

On the one hand it definitely gives more variety and uniqueness to these games. But yeah, it's a bit of a shame they now discard these combat systems completely after one.
They finally nailed a really fun party based real time combat system with 7 Remake and now XVI seems like it will focus on a single character combat style.

Last edited:

Bkdk

In line with my expectation, when I see the debut trailer it's very possible that the game was an FF14 expansion but sony gave them money to make it ff16, so the game should be close to being finished. Wouldn't be surprise that sony just gave them this money in second half of 2020 as well just to do whatever they can to get more console exclusives.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Doubt. Game looks cross gen as fuck. There is nothing next gen about it.

Hell, it looks worse than FF7 in some aspects though since its open world thats to be expected.

Looks on par with FF15 to me.

Top Bottom