• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Opinion: 6 Months Later - The Phil Spencer Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jotaka

more:
http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/26jh5g/its_always_phil_larry_yusuf_albert_and_co_who_are/
http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/227uht/my_feelings_after_watching_phil_spencers_first/

colin-farrell-is-disgusted-o.gif

Kayant

Hmmm I don't agree with all these being the "Phil" effect. He's seems to have better vision and is the best person they would have picked.

China launch(Which by that timeline came after about a month seems like too short of time for the decision to launch in china to be his decision) I mean you only have to look at the content they were providing at launch. China is basically "Tier 1" in terms of content and effort. I think this is more of a general thing they were planning.

Kinectless XB1 is something that doesn't seem to his effort. Or influenced by him. Factors such as -

Medhi saying it was in the works then, if you at how XB1 was performing before the announcement it made sense it was going to come at some point. There is also they fact the a month before he was still in support of kinect -

“I always want to make sure that we're in tune with what current or potential customers are asking for from us. Right now, dropping Kinect is not the number one request from people. Usually it's, ‘Where are the great games?’ There are a number of games on the ID@Xbox programme that use Kinect, and you'll see more games in the fall.” and statements like this where he was in support of kinect being bundled - "[URL="http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-07-microsoft-studios-phil-spencer-on-resolutiongate-and-kinect]"It's something that's really important. Putting a common tool in the hands of all the developers so I don't have to think about [with] a third of the install base: 'Do they have Kinect and the rest of them don't? How do I deal with that?' Making that a common base part of the platform has been really instrumental in getting the devs to support Kinect in many ways."[/URL]
Kinectless says to be more of something coming from low than expected performance.

E3 I agree that was definitely influenced by him and he did what he said they would do. Which was "Games, Games, Games".

Feedback website - it's hard to say how much influenced he had there given for something like that it would have been in the works.

Monthly updates - I Partially agree with that

29 markets - I think his involvement in this would have be minimal because for one they dropped 13 markets iirc before launch, two it would be something they would be looking to do after supplying the markets the dimmed more important.

Minecraft - From the rumors which have been accurate it would seem it was just the fact he had a good relation with Notch, his in charge of Xbox division(MS gaming) so it only made sense he was going to made the deal happen.

It's been fascinating watching Xbox fans on this forum from the first rumours of the 720 smoking Orbis through to the unveiling of PS4 and 8GB of GDDR5 and the slow painful realisation that Xbox One really does come up short.

In the pre E3 2013 excitement we had the faces of executives plastered over movie clips and avatars and other such tomfoolery. What was the Xbox fan response? A defiant isolationist cry of "Only on Xbox". Telling.

And so the two boxes are released and the PS4 is the public's choice, and I wonder why I find threads for The Order, Driveclub and No Man's Sky such a chore to read. The concern! The double standards! The post histories.

So Mattrick is shown the door and enter our new hero.

The disparate need to find somebody in Team Green to place on a pedastool, to idolise, and so there he is, a smug grin in a Capy Tee.

ypo

MS's endgame is still the same, Spencer is trying hardest to hide them....for now. He was one of those responsible for the shit show. MS has already shown their true color no amount of damage control is going to change that.

Purest 78

People always say we didn't understand MS message that it was bad PR. I completely disagree people understood they just didn't like the message. So I ask what could Spencer have done differently? Imo there's no good way to talk about the future they wanted.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
In the pre E3 2013 excitement we had the faces of executives plastered over movie clips and avatars and other such tomfoolery. What was the Xbox fan response? A defiant isolationist cry of "Only on Xbox". Telling.
It's important to not lump everyone together in an easy to target group. Not every person that thinks the Xbone is great is the same person had hardons for all the hypothetical multiplatform publishers going exclusive to the next Xbone which was a big topic around that time.

If you want to have some fun, just check the anticipation thread for the 2013 May Event for the upcoming Xbox and how many posters in there are now ex-posters.

It's been fascinating watching Xbox fans on this forum from the first rumours of the 720 smoking Orbis through to the unveiling of PS4 and 8GB of GDDR5 and the slow painful realisation that Xbox One really does come up short.

And so the two boxes are released and the PS4 is the public's choice, and I wonder why I find threads for The Order, Driveclub and No Man's Sky such a chore to read. The concern! The double standards! The post histories.

The disparate need to find somebody in Team Green to place on a pedastool, to idolise, and so there he is, a smug grin in a Capy Tee.
You alright?

Raist

Banned
Trying to ignore how incredibly cringe-worthy this is... the vast majority of the stuff you listed is not "his doing" at all. XB1 was supposed to launch in these countries, games were being made, etc.
If you're willing to give him credit for these things happening, then you'll have to concede that he had the same amount of involvement in the whole DRM, indie launch parity clause, and always online shit.

It's important to not lump everyone together in an easy to target group. Not every person that thinks the Xbone is great is the same person had hardons for all the hypothetical multiplatform publishers going exclusive to the next Xbone which was a big topic around that time.

If you want to have some fun, just check the anticipation thread for the 2013 May Event for the upcoming Xbox and how many posters in there are now ex-posters.
I know, but that really caught my attention back then.

Reiko comes to mind :D

You alright?
Yes. Just a little tired.

Just musing about what I've seen here.

Often, a lot of credit is given solely to Phil S. And it always seemed like a bit of a cult of personality to me - is it just good marketing? I'm still undecided...But still, looking at the OP its clear to me that Xbone is headed in a good direction.

Now I just wonder why PS3 was derided for for the frequency of its OS updates, but its a positive on Xbone...

kpaadet

It seems OP have been reading too much r/xboxone, I'm sorry OP but the only thing you're gonna get from this thread is a job interview call from MS marketing department.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Dizzy

Banned
I mean, it says on his bio on Xbox.com that he was the one who arranged the $400m NFL/TV deals so I don't get why people are treating him like a messiah for massive change.
Lmao really?

Thid is what companies. They have a pr disaster. They want to turn things around and they choose a new face to put across that message so then they can say "things are different under this new guy".

I can't believe dome of Gaf has fallen for it so hard, I thought most people here were more aware.

Thats not to say Microsoft isn't trying. Clearly they are. They know they made mistakes and now they're backtracking on all of them. However some people paint this picture of Don mattrick ruling Microsoft with an iron fist, ordering everyone to impliment his shitty ideas agsinst their will while good guy Phil spencer is held prisoner. Mattrick leaves then in comes Spencer the white knight galloping on his horse, sword in the air to undo all the wrongs that Mattrick did and restore honor to xbox!

No thats not how it works. Microsoft made some shitty mistakes and now they're going back on them. Phil spencer got his role at the perfect time, where they can put a new face on xbox and try to create a new image.

Now I just wonder why PS3 was derided for for the frequency of its OS updates, but its a positive on Xbone...
There are a lot of reasons, but the main things are: Xbox Monthly updates are adding a lot of substantial features (some things which should have been there from the beginning...) And the fact that it downloads and installs them while the system is in sleep mode. You're not going to get the scenario where you to turn on the system to play a game, but have to wait for an update to install first.

The Spencer regime has been good so far. Count me in as a fan of the TR move looking ahead to 2015, the monthly console updates based partly on gamer feedback, EA Access, and the fact that maybe the biggest game of the year has minimal differences graphically that nobody really thought would happen 6 months ago. Now i can't say this is due to Spencer but he gets the credit. As a gamer, XB1 has been trending the right way.

Salty Hippo

He's doing a decent job, but when you hit rock bottom there's only one way you can go. Those changes were the least anyone could expect, it was either that or kiss your business goodbye.

I still don't trust this guy. He did a lousy job managing Microsoft Games Studios for years. I would love to be proven wrong, though.

He's been a factor in turning around the Xbox One's branding problems as well as MS's messaging. Still, I can't help but think Exclusive deals like Tomb Raider are counter active to what they've been trying to do to repair their image.
Securing exclusive content or timed exclusive content isnt gonna hurt them. It shouldn't.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Well I was inspired.
ON BEHALF OF EVERYONE AT NEOGAF

THANK YOU!

... for joking
... for using Photoshop
... for every single hour of posting time
... for everything that will come in the future
... for making NeoGAF the best forum to celebrate gaming

Keep on rocking!

There's no Phil Spencer effect. At least, not yet. 6 months isn't enough to get an opinion especially in this industry.

As for the Minecraft buyout... I still think it's the worst decision Microsoft ever made for the Xbox division... all these billions... it could've been used to open some studios and create a dozen of AAA games.

Freeman

Banned
Just a new coat of pain to try and mask the problems. He was there the whole time.

To be fair, I don't think he had enough time to do anything meaningful (not that I think he will be able to).

The way I see it, internally MS already chose to transition its gaming effort to PC by unifying Xbox with it as soon as they can.

Plant?

Astroturfing?

Shouldn't this thread have some kind of disclaimer about paid advertising?

I can't believe this is for real.
Read through the whole thing. Though not the original purpose but this has been a delightfully hilarious thread with fanboy infographs, new vocabumlary words, media outlet mocking and quickie photoshop work.
It looked like poorly-executed astroturfing at first but it's become way, way better than that. A very enjoyable thread backfire.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahaha
Edit: This has to be a record time from original post > mockery > recognized. We went from a cringe-worthy infographic to a Yoshida retweet of a mockery of it that makes fun of him at the same time in only 2 hours flat.

On my end I see more of "dead horse kicking" taking place on a daily basis when it comes to Xbox discussion. Not really the "games" which everyone seems to supposedly care about ("Where are the games?" Yeah right, all people seem to post about are framerate and resolution issues, sponsored by Digital Foundry, sponsored by ...)

CTLance

I will never get tired of posting this videogamer.com snippet.

It's the first and last thing to come to my mind when I hear the name of Phil Spencer.

That said, did someone keep a backup of the OP? You know, for those that came late into the thread like me?

Often, a lot of credit is given solely to Phil S. And it always seemed like a bit of a cult of personality to me - is it just good marketing? I'm still undecided...But still, looking at the OP its clear to me that Xbone is headed in a good direction.

It's not positive that there are a ton of updates, it's a positive that they are pretty good updates. PS3 updates barely added any features ever, just small fixes here and there that don't even affect the majority of the users. You rarely looked forward to PS3 updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom