• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Opinion: 6 Months Later - The Phil Spencer Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeRey09

How many people on GAF actually care about it?

How many people are buying it an Xbox One because of it?

How does it make watching football games better?

Most important question:
How man first party games could they have funded with the $400M they spent?

GAF isn't the majority, wasn't for us.

No idea, takes years of data for a definitive answer.

No idea but it's apart of their TV agenda.

The same corporation just announced they're are buying a dev for $2.5 Billion, they have money to spare.

klodeckel

Banned
Okay, I need to admit that this experiment did not work out here. We now have about 100 responses and only a few actually respond to the statements I wrote about. I think the most people in here did not read what I was saying.

It was just my intention to actually add some more discussable value here - something different, more comprehensive than the usual "sell me on console XY" threads and two-sentence posts. I tried to use simple facts in combination with my own opinion on these things - and an interesting, overstating heading to heat up discussions.

But that's okay, I probably chose the wrong format. It was worth the try :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The Xbox Live Gold changes and Forza 5's overhaul of the economy and handling of DLC were the two factors that got me to pull the trigger on the Xbox. (so, a high-five to Turn 10 and Phil)

Since then I've been optimistic, but still think the Tomb Raider exclusivity was a shit deal that rightfully blew up in their faces. They need new IP and new installments of their staples, not moneyhats of existing multiplatform titles.

Still, without Phil Spencer and the change that he signaled I think its pretty certain the Xbox would be hurting far more right now.

Xbox live changes for me, makes it affordable to run as a second machine

But no matter what new face they put on things, for me I can't shake the feeling they are always pushing to see what they can get away with, and at the moment it is only fear of backlash that is keeping them straight.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
And yet after well over a decade in the console industry they continue top overwhelmingly spend their money on things other than new games.

For the amount of money that they've poured into stuff like Minecraft, the Gears license, securing Titanfall exclusivity, the pointless TV studio they shut down this year, the NFL license...etc. that could have set up a first party studio ecosystem as big if not bigger than Sony's. Instead they continue to have rings run around their in-house developments.

With the amount of money they have and the length of time they've been in the industry they have no excuses to be so far behind.

Despite what I said just a few posts ago, Sunset Overdrive has me interested in getting an XB1. It won't be enough by itself, but if they had a wider variety of exclusives I'd have already bought an XB1 by now. If your not into Gears, Halo or Forza it seems pointless to get one now.

Xav

He got rid of Kinect which is cool but that Tomb Raider exclusive deal was a low blow to gamers worldwide. I can understand if Square Enix needed the money or Crystal Dynamics needed a publisher but simply paying to cock block everyone else? Not cool Microsoft.

If Phil Spencer wants to win me over, he's going to have to step up Microsoft's pathetic line up of first party developers. They're pretty much all about Halo and Forza, that's about it.

I believe in Phil and think he is the right man for the job but I'm not won over yet.

TeRey09

Okay, I need to admit that this experiment did not work out here. We now have about 100 responses and only a few actually respond to the statements I wrote about. I think the most people in here did not read what I was saying.

It was just my intention to actually add some more discussable value here - something different, more comprehensive than the usual "sell me on console XY" threads and two-sentence posts. I tried to use simple facts in combination with my own opinion on these things - and an interesting, overstating heading to heat up discussions.

Look at my profile picture, I'm right there with you.

quetz67

Banned
Was it Spencers idea to delay the second tier launches about a year for nothing or was that planned before the Spencer effect? Anyway, why is it on a list of supposed positive stuff?

VinFTW

He got rid of Kinect which is cool but that Tomb Raider exclusive deal was a low blow to gamers worldwide. I can understand if Square Enix needed the money or Crystal Dynamics needed a publisher but simply paying to cock block everyone else? Not cool Microsoft.

If Phil Spencer wants to win me over, he's going to have to step up Microsoft's pathetic line up of first party developers. They're pretty much all about Halo and Forza, that's about it.

I believe in Phil and think he is the right man for the job but I'm not won over yet.

Don't make assumptions.

He was involved in the Kinect era 360, inception of the original Xbox One, the DRM, etc. I don't think his hands are as clean as folks like to make them out to be. With that said, he's at least corrected the brand back to a decent place with his latest couple of moves. As long he's smart enough to avoid any colossal type of blunders for the rest of the generation, Xbox will do ok.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Next time, don't try and be fancy. Type out your thoughts, and seriously because of the image your links can't be clicked.

Also, I find it hilarious that you say Minecraft "joined" Microsoft.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
KFan5hx.png
Hoo boy. This OP is more cringeworthy than the Bloodborne CE PR.

I think he's done a decent job, theres also a long way to go. Theres plenty of potentially great games coming (imo anyway), smarter decision making with things like skus, XBLG etc even if a lot of it seems like common sense.

I wouldn't have paid for TR exclusivity personally unless it was pretty cheap which is unlikely but I suspect they either thought it was a good deal or needed something to fill a gap in their line-up because something got delayed or they felt they were a title light.

Prine

Banned
He's been great for Xbox. He green lit phantom dust, crackdown, Halo 2 remake....and I don't see any issue with Tombraider exclusivity either, if you have money to spend to secure games and make them tailored for your console do it. Other companies have done this in the past, its standard and acceptable.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
GAF isn't the majority, wasn't for us.

No idea, takes years of data for a definitive answer.

No idea but it's apart of their TV agenda.

The same corporation just announced they're are buying a dev for $2.5 Billion, they have money to spare.
Oh please dude, it does not take years of data to know that this was a waste of money. There has not been one shred of data that suggests that hardcore fantasy football players have an inkling of interest in purchasing an Xbox One over this. Those people have tablets and smartphones that can accomplish the same thing.

$400M is not chump change like you may think it is.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
He's been great for Xbox. He green lit phantom dust, crackdown, Halo 2 remake....and I don't see any issue with Tombraider exclusivity either, if you have money to spend to secure games and make them tailored for your console do it. Other companies have done this in the past, its standard and acceptable.

why not?

He's been a factor in turning around the Xbox One's branding problems as well as MS's messaging. Still, I can't help but think Exclusive deals like Tomb Raider are counter active to what they've been trying to do to repair their image.

I agree on all points.

The TR deal to me is akin to a land grab in the midst of diplomacy troubles.

Kalamoj

Well, things are better now, bit I still don't see any long-term dedication.
Xbox seems like handled in a way that MS can pull the plug without too much loss.

If even r/xboxone users are claiming that this is 'too much,' then I think we've got a problem. They're right though, this is totally one of the most cringe-worthy things to pop up there (with the GAF seal of approval!!!) and also here (with said stamp now removed).

Anyway, while the xbone is a much more attractive proposition nowadays, I don't get the super-high admiration that some people have for this guy. He was around for all the xbox blunders, and in a high capacity. It's just that Microsoft as a whole decided to restructure/rephrase their corporate message regarding xbox.

To actually cover the OT--
Is there any evidence, anywhere, that anything he has done has permeated into the general populace/consumer base? Can the average person looking to buy a new console know about any of his reforms and ideas? Have there been any "positive PR" news stories about Microsoft this year? Does anyway other than NeoGAF members and industry members actually know who the hell this guy is? Even a majority of NeoGAF members?

Answer to all is no. The people he has "restored faith" with were mostly already in the Microsoft camp and were looking for reassuring that the sky wasn't falling.

Has Microsoft's position in the video games market substantively changed? Have sales bounded? Is the "gap" closing? Has anything on the chalkboard meme actually come to help the situation? Is the current momentum in Microsoft's favor? No, no, no and no. In terms of "big picture" he's meant next to nothing. We can check again in 6 months for a sales shift and in 12-18 months to see what first-party offerings have expanded.

klodeckel

Banned
Next time, don't try and be fancy. Type out your thoughts, and seriously because of the image your links can't be clicked.

Also, I find it hilarious that you say Minecraft "joined" Microsoft.

In case you missed it, these headlines are just copied and pasted from the links. That's just because I was lazy. Why do people always think about bad intentions?

However, I understand your argument about the not-clickable links.

The links I am referring to (clickable):
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/misc/2014/mar14/03-31corpemail.aspx

http://news.xbox.com/2014/04/xbox-phil-spencer-interview-major-nelson

http://news.xbox.com/2014/04/xbox-one-china

http://news.xbox.com/2014/05/xbox-xbox-at-e3-2014

http://news.xbox.com/2014/05/xbox-delivering-more-choices

http://news.xbox.com/2014/06/events-xbox-feedback-site-e3

http://news.xbox.com/2014/06/events-e3-2014-recap

http://news.xbox.com/2014/08/gamescom-new-xbox-one-features-video

http://news.xbox.com/2014/08/gamescom-media-briefing-highlights

http://news.xbox.com/2014/09/xbox-one-welcoming-29-new-markets-to-xbox-one

http://news.xbox.com/2014/09/games-minecraft-to-join-microsoft

Prine

Banned
CD will not be overstretched and can take full advantage of the machine, MS are also collaborating from what I remember from Phil's interview during the announcement, well get a better game because of it. This wasn't a problem for me when Sony did this, nor was it an issue when MS did this in the past with Splinter cell. I don't buy "what about the gamers" mantra.

Xenon

He's just good at PR, like many executives. Xbox team as a whole is still awful. One guy can't carry all the weight.

No, there are many people in there doing good things. The OS update team for example are killing it right now, except for the screen cap thing.

OP, you can not really say what would or would not have happen had Phil not taken over. Some of the those changes you listed could have already been in the works. I like Phil, and he seems like a cool guy. But we'll need to wait a few years to judge the effect of his leadership.

le.phat

I think that whoever came after the whole launch clusterfuck would be heralded by the fans. Phil spencer is just a vehicle to allow microsoft to distance itself from the "old" xbox one.

k3rn3ll

Neo Member
I mean, it says on his bio on Xbox.com that he was the one who arranged the $400m NFL/TV deals so I don't get why people are treating him like a messiah for massive change.
This wasn't just an xbox deal. It was a MS deal mainly. That's why there are nothing but surface pros used in nfl now. Either way the nfl deal didn't have a negative effect of Xbox imo. No different then getting any other app on your platform. Except this deal gives them the opportunity to advertise during games which bring in the highest rating on tv week after week. This deal didn't take away anything from Xbox

Chobel

CD will not be overstretched and can take full advantage of the machine[1], MS are also collaborating from what I remember from Phil's interview during the announcement, well get a better game because of it[2]. This wasn't a problem for me when Sony did this, nor was it an issue when MS did this in the past with Splinter cell. I don't buy "what about the gamers" mantra.

1)Or they can outsource the other versions... like they always do.
2) MS always collaborate with 3rd parties, at least for big games, and we've seen it in Destiny and Diablo 3. So exclusive or not, it will not change that.

pastrami

I hope you realize that your messaging is part of your message.

Slixshot

Banned
This is not an opinion, really. Xbox is simply doing much better and pleasing more people with Phil's leadership than prior to it. Xbox One is doing fine. It won't be the leading console this gen but neither was PS3 last gen (for the most part) and that thing still sold millions and millions of units.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom