• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Opinion: 6 Months Later - The Phil Spencer Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

klodeckel

Banned
*EDIT*
Okay, I need to admit that this experiment did not work out here. We now have about 100 responses and only a few actually respond to the statements I wrote about. I think the most people in here did not read what I was saying.

It was just my intention to actually add some more discussable value here - something different, more comprehensive than the usual "sell me on console XY" threads and two-sentence posts. I tried to use simple facts in combination with my own opinion on these things - and an interesting, overstating heading to heat up discussions.

But that's okay, I probably chose the wrong format. That's because I like to do things in Photoshop. That's all!

And at least I created a funny thread - even tho at own my cost :D But that's okay! It was worth the try :)

That first interview.

j0oQ5RU.jpg

Mononoke

Banned
He's been a factor in turning around the Xbox One's branding problems as well as MS's messaging. Still, I can't help but think Exclusive deals like Tomb Raider are counter active to what they've been trying to do to repair their image.

teiresias

So glad you put the NeoGAF logo on the graphic, just one logo down from the Xbox One logo, so people can know this is how everyone on the forum feels and not just you, and to be aware of the forum's endorsement. Thanks.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
That second sentence.

"However, they all happened under his leadership and he was involved in some form."

I am sure he was also involved in some form with all the blunders.

I like the guy and think he has a great personality/relationship with the consumers (which XBO needs right now), I just think the Spencer-effect stuff is a little heavy.

I actually quite like Spencer, he's always been pretty good on twitter

My only issue is I don't know how much of what's happened can solely be attributed to Spencer being in charge. Xbox as a brand and XB1 as a console has made great strides in the last 6 months but again it's hard to attribute it to a single person

nynt9

I mean, it says on his bio on Xbox.com that he was the one who arranged the $400m NFL/TV deals so I don't get why people are treating him like a messiah for massive change.

He's off to a good start in my books, especially considering the initial mess. Next years E3 is where I will give him my first real assessment.

Not taking anything from Phil cause I respect him dearly but a lot of these were in motion before Phil was appointed. That said, it is possible he is/was responsible for a lot of it and I'm glad he was put in charge of Xbox division. It was a laughing stock and it's glory has been (almost) restored, so hats off to Phil for managing it well.

DJIzana

Initially I was actually considering Xbox over Sony. Now? Never. No chance... Sony and Wii U are my go to platforms because that's where all the good Japanese games will be. :D

I didn't want an Xbox One until Phil Came in. Now about 2% of me wants one. Keep working, Phil. You'll get me there eventually.

Not "/s"

npa189

The leadership shake up has done wonders for the platform, the focus on games and the announcement of the master chief collection totally reversed my opinion on the brand. The announcement of a kinectless SKU sealed the deal for me, having the choice to pay or not for that camera shows that someone there is actually listening to the people who actually buy these things.

Superflat

Best thing that happened with XB1 is revising the XBOX Gold model, so kudos for finally making that happen.

There are times where I think Phil Spencer is a cool guy, but hearing him talk around the exclusivity of TR in multiple interviews (while sounding like the victim, "I DON'T OWN IT THEREFORE I CAN'T TALK ABOUT IT, EVEN THOUGH I CLEARLY JUST MADE A DEAL AND WANT TO BE OBTUSE ABOUT IT") was a riot and painted him as a typical PR mouthpiece again.

Nephtes

I like Phil Spencer. I don't necessarily agree with everything he's done, but he's leaps and bounds better than Mattrick.

Spencer is a suit, but he doesn't come across like one... Which is more than I can say for some of the Sony execs and other Microsoft execs...

teiresias

But it's just text! There's no graphs or anything!

Not only that, but there's unlinkable urls in the graphic too. That's definitely genius, as studies have shown as you write or type something by hand you remember it better, therefore, typing in urls to ostensibly good Xbox news will make you retain better thoughts about Xbox.

I also love how a desperate move of offering a Kinect-less Xbox One is listed under "Offering More Choices for Fans". I swear, I hope the OP was hired as a freelancer to produce this.

AmuroChan

I like Spencer and think he's the right guy for the job. The only blemish IMO is the Tomb Raider move which I don't think helped MS's public image.

Cess007

That second sentence.

"However, they all happened under his leadership and he was involved in some form."

I am sure he was also involved in some form with all the blunders.

I like the guy and think he has a great personality/relationship with the consumers (which XBO needs right now), I just think the Spencer-effect stuff is a little heavy.

I like Spencer, from all the (former) Xbox One team he always looked to me like the more sensible of all of them. But some people really like to pretend that he wasn't there pushing the original vision of the Xbox one and that several of those changes on the list would have happened no matter who was head of the Xbox division.

That said, i still think he is the best thing has happened to the Xbox One since the reveal.

The Xbox Live Gold changes and Forza 5's overhaul of the economy and handling of DLC were the two factors that got me to pull the trigger on the Xbox. (so, a high-five to Turn 10 and Phil)

Since then I've been optimistic, but still think the Tomb Raider exclusivity was a shit deal that rightfully blew up in their faces. They need new IP and new installments of their staples, not moneyhats of existing multiplatform titles.

Still, without Phil Spencer and the change that he signaled I think its pretty certain the Xbox would be hurting far more right now.

klodeckel

Banned
So glad you put the NeoGAF logo on the graphic, just one logo down from the Xbox One logo, so people can know this is how everyone on the forum feels and not just you, and to be aware of the forum's endorsement. Thanks.
Okay, deleted them. I understand what you are saying :) Thanks. On the other hand, I clearly stated twice that this is just my opinion ;)

Why did you feel the need to make this an image?
I could've simply write it down, yes. But I like to do things in Photoshop.

Nzyme32

How do we know this is all the doing a Phil Spencer and no one else, and thus if it is his affect? Furthermore how do you know if he was/wasn't involved in other things that have been negative both prior and within this 6 month period? It just seem weird to me that you can just associate all of this with Phil and not the chunk of other people their and of course Satya. I don't even know if any of it is knowable

Our savior, our savior...

But seriously, he's done a fine job. It may not catch up to Sony and the PS4, but the state of the Xbox brands looks much better than it did 6 months ago.

Blablurn

Without him MS would be far away from Sony probably. He definitely helped them to come back.

Did they make me more interested in the console though? Absolutely not.

Auctopus

They are in a whole lot better position than they were during last year, that's for sure.

Though I can't help feeling that every move they make out of 'good will' is just "please forget that we had those horrible ideas last year."

Probably just me though.

Spencer brought us D4.

He's a god in my eyes. He can no longer do any wrong...unless he doesn't fund more seasons of D4. Then he's as bad as Mattrick.

Ill never understand people who get mad at someone for making a business deal that will help his business. Or the people that act like because he spent 2.5 billion on Minecraft that the money could of been on "starting up new studios" Microsoft is made of money, do you really think he has a budget?

He's been awesome so far. He's not a mouthpiece at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom