• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Online Games: DS vs PSP

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
kaching said:
Jarrod, yes, 989 has at least confirmed NBA 06 will be online again.
So all two people who keep the game will be able to play it online? Joy.

You know, I still wonder why Sony doesn't get new talent for 989, because it's been proven year after year that the people there are not good at making decent games imo.

heidern

Gahiggidy said:
By the way, how is Nintendo making money off these online games?
Theoretically, by making games online the number of DSs sold will increase and also the number of games sold will increase. Thus it isn't necessary for their business model to support direct charging. As a comparison, some train services have internet connections for laptops, but they don't charge for that. They make money by increased ticket sales.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
So they're not making money off online. Therefore, if I buy an online DS game, but choose not to take it online... I'm saving Nintendo money?

Jonnyram

Gahiggidy said:
So they're not making money off online. Therefore, if I buy an online DS game, but choose not to take it online... I'm saving Nintendo money?
Maybe they get a cut of McDonald's profits since more people will be buying food there to play DS ;)

jj984jj said:
So all two people who keep the game will be able to play it online? Joy.

You know, I still wonder why Sony doesn't get new talent for 989, because it's been proven year after year that the people there are not good at making decent games imo.

MLB for PSP was reportedly quite good. Shocked me when I heard it.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Gahiggidy said:
in theory nintendo is losing very little money online. the games released so far are all p2p and the only money they are losing is (possibly) at mcdonalds (even though the DS service is only available at McD's that already had wifi service) and then for the matchmaking backend which actually doesn't even seem that complex as all it does it literally fills players from pools depending on what mode they select.

the service isn't as involved as live so there is nowhere near the cost of it (no voip server, no real db backend, etc). in theory you probably save nintendo pennies by not going online, though those pennies are likely already included into that $35 of MKDS and ACWW.

Ulairi

Banned
Gahiggidy said:

No. The infrastructure is in place and the money has been spent and is going to cotinue to be spent. They make money from more people buying their products.

borghe

and for those saying "why is it now profitable" my honest guess is that cost in maintaining said infrastructure is now low enough and the online "bullet point" is now important enough that the extra copies they sell from online probably make them more than they put out on the infrastructure every month... i.e. they "profit" from the online.

of course I really don't know, just offering up a possibility. I think the one thing that can definitely be concluded though is that if Nintendo is doing it, they are making money from it.

Xellotah

borghe said:
I think the one thing that can definitely be concluded though is that if Nintendo is doing it, they are making money from it.

.. or it could just be a defensive manoeuvre to cover their tails.

borghe

Xellotah said:
.. or it could just be a defensive manoeuvre to cover their tails.
nintendo is RARELY known to go on the defensive, almost to a fault actually. it is much more likely that they are actually seeing or will see profit out of this than doing it as defensive reaction. Especially with three first party games within six months. not saying what you are implying is impossible, just that it is much more likely they are making money off of it or will within a very short span of time.

Xellotah

borghe said:
nintendo is RARELY known to go on the defensive, almost to a fault actually. it is much more likely that they are actually seeing or will see profit out of this than doing it as defensive reaction. Especially with three first party games within six months. not saying what you are implying is impossible, just that it is much more likely they are making money off of it or will within a very short span of time.

I was only teasing you... I don't think there are any quickie profits involved from setting up the wifi infrastructure, rather its just a case of Nintendo finally getting round to committing and exploiting the online aspects of gaming.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Good to hear! I was worried that the DS WiFI would somehow hurt Nintendo's bottom-line. I can now go ahead and play AC online guilt free. :)

heidern

Gahiggidy said:
Good to hear! I was worried that the DS WiFI would somehow hurt Nintendo's bottom-line. I can now go ahead and play AC online guilt free. :)

Actually, it is not just a case of being guilt free. The more people that take games online for the DS is of value to Nintendo and investors. By taking AC online you are actually doing your bit for improving Nintendo's share price.

Top Bottom