• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Online Games: DS vs PSP

jarrod

Banned
Here's the standings....

Nintendo DS
01 Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo)
02 Bleach DS! Souten ni Kakeru Unmei (Sega/Treasure Video Games)
03 Bokujou Monotargari: Korbockle Station for Girls (Marvelous Interactive)
04 Bomberman Story (Hudson Soft)
05 Castlevania (Konami)
06 Contact (Marvelous Interactive/Grasshopper Manufacture)
07 Digimon World (Bandai Games)
08 DSpeak (Nintendo)
09 DS Tales (Namco/Namco Tales Studio)
10 Dynasty Warriors DS (KOEI)
11 Europa Universalis II (Pocket PC Studios)
12 Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles DS (Square Enix)
13 Jikkyo Powerful Pro Kun Pocket 8 (Konami)
14 Lost Magic (Taito/Gakaruta Studio)
15 Mario Basket: 3-vs-3 (Nintendo/Square Enix)
16 Mario Kart DS (Nintendo)
17 Metroid Prime: Hunters (Nintendo/Nintendo Software Technology)
18 Mobile Suit Gundam (Bandai Games)
19 Momotaru Denetsu World (Hudson Soft)
20 Professional Wrestling (Spike)
21 Rune Factory (Marvelous Interactive)
22 Super Monkey Ball DS (SEGA)
23 Tony Hawk's American Sk8land (Activision/Vicarious Visions)
24 Top Spin 2 (2K Games/PAM Development)
25 Tenchu DS (From Software/K2 Studio)
26 Ultimate Brain Games DS (Telegames/Cosmigo)
27 Ultimate Card Games DS (Telegames/Cosmigo)
28 World Soccer Winning Eleven DS (Konami)
29 Ys Strategy (Marvelous Interactive/Nihon Falcom)

30 new Kojima Studios Productions project (Konami)

PSP
01 ATV Offroad Fury: Blazin' Trails (SCEA/Climax Studios)
02 Field Commander (Sony Online Entertainment)
03 FIFA Soccer 06 (Electronic Arts)
04 Gretzky NHL (SCEA/Page 44 Studios)
05 Infected (Majesco Games/Planet Moon Studios)
06 Madden NFL 06 (Electronic Arts)
07 MLB (SCEA/989 Sports)
08 Mortal Kombat: Deception Unchained (Midway)
09 NBA (SCEA/989 Sports)
10 NBA 06 (SCEA/989 Sports)
11 NBA Live 06 (Electronic Arts)
12 Need For Speed: Most Wanted 5-1-0 (Electronic Arts)
13 Ore no Dungeon (Climax Entertainment)
14 SOCOM US Navy SEALs: Fireteam Bravo (SCEA/Zipper Interactive)
15 Pac-Man World Rally (Namco/Namco Hometek)
16 Stacked with Daniel Negreanu (Myelin Media/5000ft)
17 Twisted Metal: Head On (SCEA/Incog Inc)
18 Untold Legends: Warrior's Code (Sony Online Entertainment)
19 World Series of Poker (Activision)
20 X-Men Legends II: Rise of Apocalypse (Activision/Vicarious Visions)

21 new MMORPG (SCEI)
22 new MMORPG based off DC Comics (Sony Online Entertainment)

...anything I've missed?

For fun, here's publisher standings too!

Nintendo DS
01 Activision
02 Atari
03 Bandai
04 Banpresto
05 Capcom
06 Disney Interactive
07 Eletcronic Arts
08 From Software
09 Hudson Soft
10 KOEI
11 Konami
12 Majesco Games
13 Marvelous Interactive
14 Mastiff Games
15 Namco
16 Nintendo
17 Pocket PC Studios
18 SEGA
19 Spike
20 Square Enix
21 Taito
22 Take 2 Interactive
23 Telegames
24 The Pokémon Company
25 THQ
26 Ubisoft
27 Vivendi Universal Games

PSP
01 Activision
02 Climax Entertainment
03 Electronic Arts
04 Midway
05 Myelin Media
06 Namco
07 Sony Computer Entertainment
08 Sony Online Entertainment

Nintendo DS
01 Animal Crossing to Go! (Nintendo)
10 Mario Kart DS (Nintendo)

PWNS

PSP
01 ATV Offroad Fury: Blazin' Trails (SCEA)
02 Gretzky NHL (SCEA)
03 MLB (SCEA)
04 NBA (SCEA)
05 SOCOM US Navy SEALs: Fireteam Bravo (SCEA)
06 Twisted Metal: Head On (SCEA)

07 new MMORPG (SCEI)

all by themselves those two games will have gaffers and the world alike playing for many hours TOGETHER.

Many more DS games will be made, as it will most likely cheaper to develop and run them online

Mrbob

I think jarrod is a little infuriated from the other thread! :lol

You forgot Madden 06 PSP will be online multiplayer!

Brofist

I don't care..come Sep no crappy GAF lists will peel me away from this game. :p

img10071535667-721194.gif

jarrod

Banned
Mrbob said:
You forgot Madden 06 PSP will be online multiplayer!
It is? I though it was ad-hoc only?

Any word on Battlefield 2 or Star Wars Battlefront II? You'd think they'd be online, but after Monster Hunter Portable I'm not taking any chances. How about 989's 2006 lineup?

Mrbob

I don't know about Battlefront 2 or Battlefield 2. It would make sense. Who knows, though.

I read about Madden 06 in a Gamespot preview. They mentioned two player multiplayer through ad hoc and infastructure mode. Let me see if I can dig it up.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
What does CV offer online? That's strange as hell...

Anyways, I'm most excited for Castlevania and new RPG.

Mrbob

I think you can trade souls or something online with Castlevania. Yay.

Anyway, found the Madden 06 PSP stuff:

http://www.gamespot.com/psp/sports/maddennfl2006/preview_6129155.html

Online, the PSP game will feature two-player football action in both infrastructure and ad hoc mode, and you'll also be able to post your high scores from the minigames to online leaderboards. Using the same EA Sports locker concept, you'll be able to post your franchise information online from either the PS2 or the PSP version of the game, which you can share with friends.

neptunes

nba live and madden feature online.

along with untold legends 2, and DC comics based mmorpg (developed by SOE) heading to ps3 and psp.

Also, that poker game stacked is online as well.

jarrod

Banned
neptunes said:
nba live and madden feature online.

along with untold legends 2, and DC comics based mmorpg (developed by SOE) heading to ps3 and psp.

Also, that poker game stacked is online as well.
Thanks, all are added. :)

Are the DS versions of Madden and NBA Live online too?

neptunes

jarrod said:
Thanks, all are added. :)

Are the DS versions of Madden and NBA Live online too?

I don't think so, madden DS releases in next month, and they haven't announced a ds version of nba live (yet).

jarrod

Banned
Matlock said:
FF:CC and Mario Kart are the only ones that will truly be worth it on DS, methinks.
I'm pretty interested on Boktai DS and Untold Legends 2 as well. But that's it really so far. :/

jarrod said:
...anything I've missed?

Haven't Nintendo said Zelda DS will take its lead from Four Swords and use Wifi, but won't be 4swords.

Also Pokemon is meant to be 16 players...no? to do this wouldn't that be online?

jarrod

Banned
ThongyDonk said:
Haven't Nintendo said Zelda DS will take its lead from Four Swords and use Wifi, but won't be 4swords.

Also Pokemon is meant to be 16 players...no? to do this wouldn't that be online?
Pokemon's been rumored but not confirmed I don't think. I didn't hear the quote about Zelda DS, but if you can find it, I'll add it. :)

neptunes

ThongyDonk said:

According to the latest EGM, eiji aonuma mentioned that the next handheld zelda wont be related to four swords, but something entirely different, with no mention of multiplayer.

nubbe

It would be absolutely insane to not have Online WiFi battles in Pokemon.
Even Pokemon Crystal supported trading with cell phones in Japan.
So there would be no reason to not add it now when they have a world wide network.

Mmmm… Imagine battling with players from all around the world, best shit ever. :)

Cherubae

Matlock said:
FF:CC and Mario Kart are the only ones that will truly be worth it on DS, methinks.

No way, I'm going to be trading my Harvest Moon chicken and cows with full farming lov'n baby! Spreading mad cow disease to every DS farmer I can find! mwa ha ha ha...

I know WE PSP looks gorgeous for a handheld either way but those are some shrunken PSP screens. The rule is that you resize them to four times their size. Especially if its on DS.

PSP will have plenty of online games eventually too, but I can't deny the potential on DS is looking better than I expected initially.

FFCC will really work on DS too, online will make it work even better still.

jarrod said:
Here's the standings....

Nintendo DS

13 Pokémon Diamond/Pearl (Nintendo)

PSP
01 ATV Offroad Fury: Blazin' Trails (SCEA)
02 Gretzky NHL (SCEA)
03 Madden NFL 06 (Electronic Arts)
04 MLB (SCEA)
05 NBA (SCEA)
06 NBA Live 06 (Electronic Arts)
06 SOCOM US Navy SEALs: Fireteam Bravo (SCEA)
07 Twisted Metal: Head On (SCEA)
08 Untold Legends II (Sony Online Entertainment)

09 new MMORPG (SCEI)
10 new MMORPG based off DC Comics (Sony Online Entertainment)

...anything I've missed?

Move along now, there's nothing to see here!
So what do we know

Its Pokemon (Sales = Millions guaranteed)
Its Nintendo (Online playable for no cost)

in japan, omnline play must easily pass 15%

Brofist

gamewhooper said:
Did you see Winning Eleven Soccer listed as an online DS game?

I did, but honestly WE9 for the PS2 and PSP is a combo that can't be beat in my mind. I like my WE games looking like current games, not last gen games.

jarrod

Banned
kpop100 said:
I did, but honestly WE9 for the PS2 and PSP is a combo that can't be beat in my mind. I like my WE games looking like current games, not last gen games.
Starting this fall, PS2 & PSP are "last gen". :)

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I hate to be pessimistic...I actually like the DS and own one...but I have grave doubts that Nintendo's online functionality will be very good. They've not been very forward thinking about it before, and everything N that I get my hopes up for ends up being scaled down from my expectations.

Musashi Wins! said:
I hate to be pessimistic...I actually like the DS and own one...but I have grave doubts that Nintendo's online functionality will be very good. They've not been very forward thinking about it before, and everything N that I get my hopes up for ends up being scaled down from my expectations.

they've been working on it for as long as the NES has been around have they not?
they had online gaming years ago and scrapped it, as it wasn't worth doing, they will have been working on it for years, we all know they don't release anything half heartedley

Ponn

Banned
jarrod said:
Can you link me?
'
Computer i'm on sucks right now and I saw them on IGN with updated information last week. Burnou Legends have wireless infrastructure, 4 player game sharing from one UMD and tradeable cars. Battlefront 2 has wireless internet play (that should be a given). I'm not going to fight my computer to connect and if you wanted your lists unbiased you would have already done the leg work.

jarrod

Banned
Musashi Wins! said:
I think it'll probably be pretty basic and more limited than some expect. But being Nintendo, I expect the actual service to be comparably reliable and stable overall with comparably simple interfaces to other online services. It'll probably work rather well for what it's intended.

jarrod

Banned
Ponn01 said:
'
Computer i'm on sucks right now and I saw them on IGN with updated information last week. Burnou Legends have wireless infrastructure, 4 player game sharing from one UMD and tradeable cars. Battlefront 2 has wireless internet play (that should be a given). I'm not going to fight my computer to connect and if you wanted your lists unbiased you would have already done the leg work.
Er, what? I'm not digging through IGN for offhand quotes and I've asked for links from every other poster for both DS and PSP games. If you can't offer a simple url, you're not worth my time.

edit-Here's all I could find on IGN concerning infastructure in BO Legends...

. Currently, the game works in Ad-Hoc network mode, though Criterion is trying its best to get Infrastructure support in there as well. Criterion refuses to promise that it'll make it in, though we trust them to not give up on it easily. We'd say there's a better than average chance we'll see Internet play in Legends, but don't shoot us if there isn't; we're just the messenger.

...that was back in May. The July hands on only mentions ad-hoc and game share. :/

IGN also says nothing about Battlefield 2 having infastructure support except speculation from last April that it'd be online. There's an insider video interview that might clairify if anyone wants to help sort the issue out though.

Mrbob

jarrod said:
Starting this fall, PS2 & PSP are "last gen". :)

Does that make the DS "last last gen" then? :D

Also, what percentage of these DS games you listed online multiplayer? I think that is the big draw. Trading stuff online is a little weak to list them.

jarrod

Banned
Mrbob said:
Does that make the DS "last last gen" then? :D
Yep. :)

Mrbob said:
Also, what percentage of these DS games you listed online multiplayer? I think that is the big draw. Trading stuff online is a little weak to list them.
We don't know actually, but none so far are confirmed to have only online trading or rankings. I'm guessing all will probably have multiplayer.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Informative thread. I need my Pokemon Diamond and Pearl online fix. I haven't played a Pokemon game since Red and Blue oh so long ago, but when D&P hit online, I will be a digital crack addict once again.

Let's hope Blizzard gets on with some NDS online action, too.

Andy787 said:
Just curious.. which of those Nintendo DS games are currently available? :)

Because you're having oh-so-much fun with the 30 other people on Twisted Metal: Head-On?

It's like Xbox 360 fanboys bragging that they get Final Fantasy XI first before PS3 gets a remake of Final Fantasy VII.

Andy787

Banned
gamewhooper said:
Because you're having oh-so-much fun with the 30 other people on Twisted Metal: Head-On?

It's like Xbox 360 fanboys bragging that they get Final Fantasy XI first before PS3 gets a remake of Final Fantasy VII.
No, it's nothing like that.

I've never even played a PSP game online. I'm just pointing out the simple fact that there are no online DS games, which makes this a pretty unfair perspective by comparison.

Deku

Banned
Andy787 said:
No, it's nothing like that.

I've never even played a PSP game online. I'm just pointing out the simple fact that there are no online DS games, which makes this a pretty unfair perspective by comparison.

That's just being stupid on your part.

Top Bottom