• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PLAYSTATION®3 Home™ Thread - Massive official FAQ

Amir0x said:
ZAPTRUDER IS CHANGING THE TIDES OF WAR FOR SONY.
Zaptruder said:
I'm just saying... it's stuff like this that manages to swing people on the market for either console.
Do not be so humble, you are serving master Kutaragi well. He shall remember and reward those who stood by him during these difficult times.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Wollan said:
Man, the idea I had in my head (not posted) at the time was soo lame compared to the real thing. I visioned like heaps of identical houses (small yellow simple ones) in a grid. With us the players walking around (with the avatars being as big as the houses, just a representative world sort of) and greeting other friends. The house would be a small room like that Japan PSN game with no view..etc. :lol

OMG that was wack. I'm glad you weren't of the development team. :lol

It will be interesting to see what sony does with the movie theater. THey could easily charge for a movie and show it on Home the day it is released in theaters on Home.

I was just thinking about Home, and I got this pretty awesome idea.

What if you could walk over to little items that represent PSN games, that are in that room with the pool tables the bowling alley, and you can take your friends right in to a bigger game.

Imagine being in Home and walking with your friend up to a Warhawk plane, everyone gets in, and within seconds your all in a game of Warhawk.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
snack said:
I was just thinking about Home, and I got this pretty awesome idea.

What if you could walk over to little items that represent PSN games, that are in that room with the pool tables the bowling alley, and you can take your friends right in to a bigger game.

Imagine being in Home and walking with your friend up to a Warhawk plane, everyone gets in, and within seconds your all in a game of Warhawk.

er, that's already possibile. You dont walk on "little items", but you can party in HOME and go playing any PS3 game.

TTP said:
er, that's already possibile. You dont walk on "little items", but you can party in HOME and go playing any PS3 game.
I know that you can do that in your apartment, but I was just thinking if they could put it right in the main lobby area.

jiggle

Like a 3D recreation of an entrance into specific games (instead of simply doors with game logos above where u walk in)? So for Warhawk it'd be a dock where u can see the ships, or for motorstorm, u'll see the valley and some cars in the distant background?

Wollan

Have Sony said anything about cross console advertising in Home? Let's say that Bungie decided to put up a Halo lounge in Home, what does Sony have to say about that? Or if GameTrailers put up a lounge dedicated to their site, X360 & Wii review videos would come trickling in. Do you think Sony have set down rules against that?

RuGalz

Wollan said:
Have Sony said anything about cross console advertising in Home? Let's say that Bungie decided to put up a Halo lounge in Home, what does Sony have to say about that? Or if GameTrailers put up a lounge dedicated to their site, X360 & Wii review videos would come trickling in. Do you think Sony have set down rules against that?
Sony is moderating all public spaces. I mean it's not like you can just setup a space and hook it up to Home without their approval. So they can easily say no to competitors; just like you are unlikely to see a PS3 banner in X360 dashboard...
As for contents provided by third party in their own public spaces, it's hard to say if all the contents will be reviewed by Sony before they go live (likely since they say the contents will be updated weekly in FAQ) or they will simply have certain requirements in licensing agreement to prevent you from advertising competitor's products. Either way, I doubt we'll see X360 & Wii logos in the ads.

jtardiou

Banned
I was a few days from getting a 360.

Out of the 3, I thought I was going to end up getting a Wii and a 360, but the PS3 wins. Never thought..

RuGalz

An interview posted by Elios83 in the other thread... http://www.pro-g.co.uk/news/12-03-2007-4977.html
Pro-G: Let's talk about the trophy system for a moment. How does that work?

Harrison: Developers define the milestone point in the game and then the associate graphic file that is the trophy associated with that milestone; then it will be downloaded to the Playstation3 user's hard drive. And the trophy can animate. We didn't show that yesterday...

Hmm entitlements... ;)

Kinan

Tommorow ThreeSpeech hosting 3ROOMS meeting with Harrison, so I would suspect some more info on HOME to surface.

jtardiou said:

Out of the 3, I thought I was going to end up getting a Wii and a 360, but the PS3 wins. Never thought..
I owned a 360 for about 6 months. It is a great great platform and will have some stellar games. On a personal note I sold the Xbox 360 for the PS3 because I saw more of what I wanted and expected in the next generation from the PS3 than I did in the Xbox 360. With that said I still think its a wicked system and I hope all three do well enough to wet their beaks a little (get money) enough to the point that they will continue on to make other consoles and continue to offer gamers choice and diversity. With competition comes more and better options for consumers so that in and of itself is never a bad thing.

Wollan

Kinan said:
Tommorow ThreeSpeech hosting 3ROOMS meeting with Harrison, so I would suspect some more info on HOME to surface.

Hopefully people will have some good questions. I have some myself like if they used real architects or decorators to help design Home. Is there a day/night cycle? Will Sony store the minimum info of what items you have purchased/trophies earned (in case your hdd explodes)? Future plans for seasonal changes in the outdoor environments?

Zaptruder said:
So, I manage to change one friend's buying choice from X360 to PS3 because of Home and LBP.

congrats.jpg

Wollan

Pro-G: I have a feeling your PR rep is about to burst through the door (laughs), so I'll ask this last question. Afrika...

Harrison: Yes - good continent, sort of south of the equator (laughs).

:lol

Kinan

jtardiou said:

Zaptruder said:
So, I manage to change one friend's buying choice from X360 to PS3 because of Home and LBP.

47xjsid.gif

P.S. Kudos to Wollan for original gif and idea.:)

mckmas8808

Wollan said:
Hopefully people will have some good questions. I have some myself like if they used real architects or decorators to help design Home. Is there a day/night cycle? Will Sony store the minimum info of what items you have purchased/trophies earned (in case your hdd explodes)? Future plans for seasonal changes in the outdoor environments?

Those are some great questions Wollan.

DrXym

theBishop said:
Home isn't persistent. I don't think they can view your trophies when you're not in Home.

I think they'll be able to see your trophies from the cross bar, they just won't be able to see them arranged in your room.

For persistence it sounds like your room layout is held on your PS3, not on their servers. Which means if you log in on another PS3 your layout won't be there. If the data is on the HD I wonder how long it will be before people start hacking themselves some nice items into their apartments, possibly including upgrading the apartment itself.

Wollan

There is a points aspect to Trophies, something they wouldn't go into before close to launch of the service. Could be a creative twist on 'Gamerscore' since they don't want to share the info atm. (I personally detest gamerscore so if they're going to display that right under my name I'm going to hurl)

Wollan

Q: Will there be additional TRCs for games plugging into Home? When
will these TRCs be released?
There will have to be base TRCs for Trophies and Matchmaking before the
service hits the XMB™. Others will come online as they are needed.

Is this pointing to people being able to boot up a specific multiplayer match together? 'before the service hits the XMB™' Doesn't that mean launch?

Jim

Wollan said:
Is this pointing to people being able to boot up a specific multiplayer match together? 'before the service hits the XMB™' Doesn't that mean launch?

That quote is from the Home Developers Q&A. They obviously want devs to have the guidelines for creating Home content/functions/hooks before the thing launches.

mckmas8808

Jim said:
That quote is from the Home Developers Q&A. They obviously want devs to have the guidelines for creating Home content/functions/hooks before the thing launches.

What does "matchmaking" mean in that sentence?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
mckmas8808 said:
What does "matchmaking" mean in that sentence?

being able to gather in Home and jump into a MP game from there. You can call it "manual matchmaking" :lol

mckmas8808

TTP said:
being able to gather in Home and jump into a MP game from there. You can call it "manual matchmaking" :lol

So what can you make of that being in the XMB? Does that mean we can manually matchmake with guys on PSN through the XMB? If so what does that mean?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
mckmas8808 said:
So what can you make of that being in the XMB? Does that mean we can manually matchmake with guys on PSN through the XMB? If so what does that mean?

Think of the party system in Resistance. Now think of Home as Resistance, and of its gamemodes as different PS3 games.

XMB as little to do with this.

They've said that the trophy room is for public OR private viewing. Meaning, you go to it as a separate instance which is available regardless of whether you're online or not. Unless I'm confusing actual statements with discussions here, you can also have people in your home, play a game, and they'll still be there when you return.

As for the avatar, I'm making myself. With voice chat it'd be pretty silly to make a female character like I usually do, and besides, this isn't a character as such but just your digital alterego. The only question is what name I'm going to get. My gamertag has another name on it which would look weird above my avatar.

mckmas8808

TTP said:
Think of the party system in Resistance. Now think of Home as Resistance, and of its gamemodes as different PS3 games.

XMB as little to do with this.

So why did they mention XMB?

stephentotilo

Behind The Games
Hey guys,

I talked to Phil Harrison about Home last week.

I wrote up some of it here: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1545619/20061113/index.jhtml

Which includes inflo like this

I wanted to know where this service was made and how it came about.... Sure enough, the unconventional Home has roots in the U.K. "The 3-D experience is being developed in London, but it's based on some core technologies from both Tokyo and San Diego," Harrison said. "So it's actually one of our most interesting global collaboration projects."

and

It also turns out that Home wasn't always going to be for the PS3. "It actually started life as PlayStation 2 and was going to be a way of creating a very simple 3-D lobby system that could connect a bunch of games together," Harrison said. "And then when we started to explore it and realized the power of it, we thought actually this should be a platform initiative and this is something we should bring to all PlayStation 3 games and all PlayStation 3 users."

But I think you'll find more interesting stuff in the video portion which is linked above but also hosted on ifilm here: http://www.ifilm.com/video/2831720

Hope you find it informative....

-Stephen

mckmas8808

stephentotilo said:
Hey guys,

I wrote up some of it here: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1545619/20061113/index.jhtml

I wanted to know where this service was made and how it came about.... Sure enough, the unconventional Home has roots in the U.K. "The 3-D experience is being developed in London, but it's based on some core technologies from both Tokyo and San Diego," Harrison said. "So it's actually one of our most interesting global collaboration projects."

and

It also turns out that Home wasn't always going to be for the PS3. "It actually started life as PlayStation 2 and was going to be a way of creating a very simple 3-D lobby system that could connect a bunch of games together," Harrison said. "And then when we started to explore it and realized the power of it, we thought actually this should be a platform initiative and this is something we should bring to all PlayStation 3 games and all PlayStation 3 users."

But I think you'll find more interesting stuff in the video portion which is linked above but also hosted on ifilm here: http://www.ifilm.com/video/2831720

-Stephen

Before I watch that the only thing I have to say is this.....

I hope you asked him about some XMB questions. Or at least about the new 1.6 firmware. *prays*

FrankT

Further PlayStation Home Details Revealed

New details of the PlayStation Home online service have emerged via semi-official PlayStation blog Three Space, which has details of the current limits on the number of users and other technical information.

The website lists a number of short questions, answered by an unnamed Sony source, the first of which indicates that the lobbies shown in the promotional videos at GDC last week currently have a maximum of sixty-four concurrent users.

It is also indicated that lobbies will be created by country, but that users will be able to choose which they wish to use – unlike massively multiplayer online games such as World of WarCraft. Currently it is planned that users will be able to build and use a single avatar per account, but that it will be possible to maintain more than one account (there was no indication of whether this would incur a charge).

According to the comment, it is not possible to launch a game directly from the Home service, with the lobby and private areas only being used to arrange a game rather than initiate one.

Finally, the website indicates that Sony’s policy is not to actively police private areas, but that complaints will still be possible if users are upset by content or activities in such an area.

Further information relating to PlayStation Home has also been revealed on Sony's developer website. In an extended questions and answers section, it is indicated that the service will go live in October, with a download of under 500MB. A closed beta for 15,000 users will take place between April and August, with the open beta beginning at the end of that period.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=13102

So you can't actually launch a game from home, you can only "arrange" one, whatever that means, at least according to this news. Going to be a ton of people fighting for one of those 15k beta slots that is for certain.

deejay8595

my posts are "MEH"
stephentotilo said:
Hey guys,

and

-Stephen

Great interview man.

Wollan

Some new info stephentotilo and that's great.

16 people max in apartment due to media sharing. Bigger more dedicated Clan rooms planned, houses, neighborhoods..etc.

Oh and also, SIXAXIS gestured controls. Shake controller to the right to wave. Backwards to bow. Pretty neat.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
stephentotilo said:
Hey guys,

and

-Stephen

Nice....i'm just trying to figure out the whole "not launch a game from within home but arrange one" I can grasp the concept on a general basis but it doesnt seemto friendly.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
g35twinturbo said:
Nice....i'm just trying to figure out the whole "not launch a game from within home but arrange one" I can grasp the concept on a general basis but it doesnt seemto friendly.
Big let down if true.

rc213

I think it was in the gametrailers.com interview where Phil said that in the future you could get together in a lobby or your private space and launch into a game and come back together after the game.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The word "launch" was actually in the Home trailer. Launch game....press X. That's extremely lame and would make home practically useless for me.

sun-drop

you wont be able to launch games from home in the beta thats coming up ..but it'll be there for launch.

btw great interview steven ...you could see phil relaxing as the interview went on as he realised you where asking very good and thoughtful questions. nice work!

Top Bottom