• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PLAYSTATION®3 Home™ Thread - Massive official FAQ

jiggle

Gadeus said:
Has it been confirmed if full movies can be streamed through Home?

You can't watch BD on it that's for certain.

xaosslug said:
i was actually thinking about something. When home officially has its launch, and assuming there are a bunch of 3rd parties/companies with a tricked-out space, will that tell us whether or not they've been in on home's existence for some time, or is it just that easy to get a space up and running? Hmm.

EA has one already. Bet most of the major 3rd party ones do also D:

Anyone noticed that was a "Jak" logo there instead of "Naughty Dog"? Hmm

Steroyd

I liked the idea of EB or GAME being able to make their own spaces. Imagine walking into a virtual EB with walls lined with virtual game boxes Heck, they could even give jobs to real people to work as virtual salesman

Heh heh imagine EB or GAME connecting home to their store so you can pre-order and order games as though you was going through their website through Home and because the Wallet will be integrated into Home it'll be as easy as clicking buy.

Also, do the files actually have to be stored on the PS3 hard drive, or can I stream videos and music that are on my iPod, which is plugged into a PS3 USB port?

In the GDC demonstration Harrison demonstrated that you can put in a memory stick and inside Home would read it, so i would assume it's not just whats on the Hard Drive although when he took a photo of the crowd off the spot he put it in the wrong PS3 so he didn't properly show it there and then.

I wonder if the pictures support GIF's would love to put some as Wallpaper.

stackD.gif

Mmmkay

I imagine that the video will have to be a supported format for the PS3, and that it'll be re-encoded it on the fly to a streamable bitrate. Harrison mentioned in one of his many interviews that the capacity for your private house changes when you're streaming so I wonder how that is going to be managed. Hopefully it's just a proximal thing and delegates streams to the nearest users, with others not receiving video and not just kicking them out of the house.

I'm disappointed that there's no persistence at all. I would have at least expected local persistence possible from the beginning. Where users you invite to your house will cache the environment so that the home owner can leave the system while others still remain. It would mean that the house becomes read only, but at least you wouldn't get kicked out into the lobby every time someone goes into a game or something.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Mmmkay said:
I'm disappointed that there's no persistence at all.

Come on, it is a FREE service... imagine thousands upon thousands of user putting tons of shit in their private spaces and sharing it with all their PSN friends: it is not exactly a negligible storage space and bandwidth cost for SCE. IMHO, they would have the right to ask for a monthly fee (maybe only a couple of dollars) to allow persistence in the Home service as far as Private Spaces are concerned... they might allow it for free if they can make it work though...STILL, at least give them time to see how much money they can make back through advertising, e-commerce, etc... before they can know if they have to make user pay or not for persistent private spaces.

Here's some food for thought, what if the nature of download content changed to where Sony would sell EB or Best Buy a set number of licenses in bulk for a good price and that they could set up virtual stores where they would then resell those licenses. Now because of the nature of competition, there could be competitive pricing which would benefit both the developer and the consumer. The developer would get more copies sold because they would sell these in certain quantity to a reseller and the consumer would benefit cuz then like stores they could have periodic sales and stuff. Could open a whole new way of how we buy download content.

Wollan

Regarding persistence, have Sony said that they don't have a basic storage system? Like if you delete your HDD you loose all your item? They haven't and I absolutely doubt they don't have it. I'm pretty sure they store values on what product you own, what clothes you have, values on your character build... all of this just taking a few KB per account. I don't think they store how exactly your room is laid out but I would be pretty sure they have a basic amount of detail stored on their servers in case your PS3 explodes. Maybe you will have to redecorate your room if that happens but your account and items will still be intact. I mean, the PS Store already knows exactly what items you have bought and sort thereafter.

Your apartment becomes like your real life apartment. There aren't folks inside (hopefully) when you're not there. And by going in this direction there's absolute no need for Sony to store that layout for you since whenever you are going to show it off you are there and online.

Mmmkay

Panajev2001a said:
Come on, it is a FREE service... imagine thousands upon thousands of user putting tons of shit in their private spaces and sharing it with all their PSN friends: it is not exactly a negligible storage space and bandwidth cost for SCE. IMHO, they would have the right to ask for a monthly fee (maybe only a couple of dollars) to allow persistence in the Home service as far as Private Spaces are concerned... they might allow it for free if they can make it work though...STILL, at least give them time to see how much money they can make back through advertising, e-commerce, etc... before they can know if they have to make user pay or not for persistent private spaces.
Chillax pana, I didn't mean it in that way. I meant that since private home data is distributed peer to peer (i.e. You're caching the environment data they've modified their house with) then it seems logical that there should be some temporary persistence as a by product. The Q&A suggests that this isn't in place and once you leave home, your private house becomes inaccessible. So if you invite some people into your house and then quit, they get dumped to the lobby.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Mmmkay said:
Chillax pana, I didn't mean it in that way. I meant that since private home data is distributed peer to peer (i.e. You're caching the environment data they've modified their house with)

Since data is shared in a p2p fashion I do not see how caching (which would be done by each peer and not by PSN/Home) would have anything to do with persistence in the Home service...

I think it would be AWESOME to have persistent Private Spaces as soon as it is technically and economically possible to do so and I think people would even pay for this service (even though it would be even cooler if they could make it free by supporting it with ads and more once the service hits prime time and lots of users sign in).

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Marty Chinn said:
Here's some food for thought, what if the nature of download content changed to where Sony would sell EB or Best Buy a set number of licenses in bulk for a good price and that they could set up virtual stores where they would then resell those licenses. Now because of the nature of competition, there could be competitive pricing which would benefit both the developer and the consumer. The developer would get more copies sold because they would sell these in certain quantity to a reseller and the consumer would benefit cuz then like stores they could have periodic sales and stuff. Could open a whole new way of how we buy download content.

As I said Marty... the more we talk about this subject the more I hear...

"Cha-Ching!"
lib025060.jpg

Mr Klaw said:
Maybe Sony will use HOME as their equivalent for the integrated lobbies and netcode etc that MS provide?

I think Harrison's comments on this (in regards to games like Motorstorm, which were not developed with clear big hooks for Home) makes me think that this is the case and it would make a lot of sense IMHO :).

They would still help with basic net-code for online multi-player: you cannot make a smooth Resistance-like Multi-Player component just using the HOME service :). This thing will not add online multi-player to games which do not support it at all :p.

vdo

White Man said:
I think it sounds interesting, but it also sounds like it could potentially be microtransaction hell.

LukeSmith
Stop. Buying. Things. On. Home. Mother****ers.
Reply | Quote
lukesmith.gif

Mmmkay

Panajev2001a said:
Since data is shared in a p2p fashion I do not see how caching (which would be done by each peer and not by PSN/Home) would have anything to do with persistence in the Home service...

I think it would be AWESOME to have persistent Private Spaces as soon as it is technically and economically possible to do so and I think people would even pay for this service (even though it would be even cooler if they could make it free by supporting it with ads and more once the service hits prime time and lots of users sign in).

Am I doing a poor job of explaining myself here? I'm not talking of actual persistence, but temporary persistence. Something that means the people who you invited to your house don't have to be immediately thrown back into the lobby when you leave (in that specific instance).

Say for example you invite 6 people from your friendslist to your house. Three of them decide that they want to play a game with you and you disappear off to play MotorStorm. In that instance you leave Home and boot up MotorStorm, but what happens to the other three people who were not interested in playing a game? A by-product of them being in your house before you left should mean that they don't have to be cut off mid conversation and put into the lobby. There's no technical reason why they can't remain there, and then when you finish MotorStorm with your other friends they can still be in the house on your return.

I simply see a problem in terms of how the private sessions are managed when you can jump into games and back, or if you've got connection problems. I'm not talking squatters rights here, maybe there should be a timeout that says you've got 10 minutes to finish your drinks, but there should be something to maintain the immersion.

And yes, I definitely see persistence in a real sense as being a premium feature. Effectively building clan houses and the such.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Mmmkay said:

Am I doing a poor job of explaining myself here? I'm not talking of actual persistence, but temporary persistence. Something that means the people who you invited to your house don't have to be immediately thrown back into the lobby when you leave (in that specific instance).

Say for example you invite 6 people from your friendslist to your house. Three of them decide that they want to play a game with you and you disappear off to play MotorStorm. In that instance you leave Home and boot up MotorStorm, but what happens to the other three people who were not interested in playing a game? A by-product of them being in your house before you left should mean that they don't have to be cut off mid conversation and put into the lobby. There's no technical reason why they can't remain there, and then when you finish MotorStorm with your other friends they can still be in the house on your return.

Ok, I understand your concerns better now (I apologize for being hard headed sometimes :D), part of this is fixable through caching... part of it is not. For static media like pictures and objects caching is possible, but for dynamic and streamed content such as music and video (which by design can only be shared/streamed and not uploaded to other users due to piracy concerns) the solution would be to let your PS3 keep serving those videos+songs to other users while you are playing a game and I am not sure you would like the reduced game performance/added network lag this would cause.

Mmmkay

Panajev2001a said:
Ok, I understand your concerns better now (I apologize for being hard headed sometimes :D), part of this is fixable through caching... part of it is not. For static media like pictures and objects caching is possible, but for dynamic and streamed content such as music and video (which by design can only be shared/streamed and not uploaded to other users due to piracy concerns) the solution would be to let your PS3 keep serving those videos+songs to other users while you are playing a game and I am not sure you would like the reduced game performance/added network lag this would cause.
Oh yeah I agree it would be a restricted service while you're not there, there would have to be concessions but I think they would be worth it. I just thought of a cool premium item that Sony could sell too, a personal mp3 player. So that you could stream your music to others (proximally) while you're in someone else's house.

AVclub

Dear Capcom,
For Halloween 2007, please make a Resident Evil/Onimusha/Devil May Cry/Ghouls & Ghosts Haunted Mansion within the Playstation Home environment. Put in some mazes and mood lighting, then use certain walls to stream video of dogs jumping out or flaming zombies and monsters surrounding my avatar.

For bonus points, you can also create a 3D version of E-Honda's bathhouse for us to unwind in after having a good scare.

Thanks,
A fan

xabre

Banned
Not bad.

PS - That's about as positive I get toward anything 'Sony', so Sony fans should take that pretty well.

Steroyd

Yay I've finally read the whole faq. \o/

Q: Is Home a PS3 specific service? Will users be able to access Home
through other devices?

Initially Home will only be accessible via that PLAYSTATION®3, although
over time our intention is to enable users to interface certain Home features
and services via other networked devices such as PlayStation®Portable
(PSP®)
and mobile phones.

eh?
5dunce.gif

other networked devices such as PlayStation®Portable
(PSP®)

5dunce.gif

(PSP®)

5dunce.gif

(PSP®)

5dunce.gif

travisbickle said:
Also I'll eat my hat if there isn't a Square Enix Museum in the near future on Home. And it will be the most beautiful thing you will ever enter.
Unless you get to have sex with Mariah Carey
Fixed.

RuGalz

Panajev2001a said:
I have to agree that trophies should be persistent.
It may as well be. 1 set of trophies per disc for example. So if you have earned all the trophies, resell the game, the next guy will be able to pick up the game at a cheaper price but no rewards for him unless you trash the trophies. Therefore, encourage those who cares to purchase games new.

Entitlements, entitlements, entitlements, entitlements... ;)

I'm just pulling this out of my ass but I was discussing this with a friend and it seems to fit.

Yoboman

RuGalz said:
It may as well be. 1 set of trophies per disc for example. So if you have earned all the trophies, resell the game, the next guy will be able to pick up the game at a cheaper price but no rewards for him unless you trash the trophies. Therefore, encourage those who cares to purchase games new.

I'm just pulling this out of my ass but I was discussing this with a friend and it seems to fit.
That's not how it works, it doesn't save to the disc

Wollan

Entitlements has been revealed to be a part of the 5 account sharing system of PSN games I believe. It was answered in an actual Home interview (though I don't remember which site I read it on).

RuGalz

Wollan said:
Entitlements has been revealed to be a part of the 5 account sharing system of PSN games I believe. It was answered in an actual Home interview (though I don't remember which site I read it on).
Entitlement system is just a general system for managing DRM licensing on the PSN. It's not limited to PSN games as it is also mentioned for items you purchased through Home.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Wollan said:

Try harder :p

Yoboman

RuGalz said:
What needs to save to disc? (assuming you mean hdd)
You just said you can resell the disc (as in Blu Ray disc) and the set of trophies will be stored on there. That makes no sense

Wollan

Man, the actual environment design in Home deserves all the praise it can get. It's so cool in that it seems like a closed of Utopia in a untouched fjord. Pine trees, mountains, stylistic and clean buildings...etc. I wonder if they actually hired a set of real life architectures and decorators for this.

oaxaca_screen027.jpg

PSHome1.jpg

PS! TTP, what he said. ;)

jiggle

Wollan said:
Man, the actual environment design in Home deserves all the praise it can get.

Yeah, very nice sceneries. It would be better if they are explorable. One leading into Africa, preferably :D

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yoboman said:
You just said you can resell the disc (as in Blu Ray disc) and the set of trophies will be stored on there. That makes no sense

No, that is not what he said: trophies data could be stored in a feasible way on the PSN's servers if they wanted to do what RuGalz suggested.

RuGalz

Yoboman said:
What are you talking about? The trophies can be ship with the game and get copied to the HDD or it can be downloaded from Home server when you enter the trophy room. It doesn't matter how it is delivered and I have no idea how it will be delivered. The point is that you have to enter the trophy room to see them (or your apartment if it's a furnishing reward), which is connected to the Home server, which means they can track if a particular game disc has rewarded you items since each disc has an unique identifier. Those rewards you have earned is tied to you and you only until it is transfered.

Yoboman

Panajev2001a said:
No, that is not what he said: trophies data could be stored in a feasible way on the PSN's servers if they wanted to do what RuGalz suggested.
Looks like he did to me

"It may as well be. 1 set of trophies per disc for example. So if you have earned all the trophies, resell the game, the next guy will be able to pick up the game at a cheaper price but no rewards for him unless you trash the trophies. Therefore, encourage those who cares to purchase games new.

I'm just pulling this out of my ass but I was discussing this with a friend and it seems to fit."

I'm positive I'm not reading this wrong or anything, but point it out to me if I am

RuGalz said:
What are you talking about? The trophies can be ship with the game and get copied to the HDD or it can be downloaded from Home server when you enter the trophy room. It doesn't matter how it is delivered and I have no idea how it will be delivered. The point is that you have to enter the trophy room to see them (or your apartment if it's a furnishing reward), which is connected to the Home server, which means they can track if a particular game disc has rewarded you items since each disc has an unique identifier. Those rewards you have earned is tied to you and you only until it is transfered.
Okay I get what you're trying to say now. I doubt they will be tracking particular discs though, because they would then have to encode every individual game so it can be identified in a specific way. Home will recognise the games you've played but not the individual disc it is on. The entitlements will be tied to your PSN username not the game itself.

Forsete

Gold Member
Wollan said:
God that would have been cool.

It would be cool if Home matched the system clock. For example, if its 8am on your PS3 your virtual apartment will match that time. Could be interesting when inviting people from across the atlantic.

Oni Jazar

Forsete said:
It would be cool if Home matched the system clock. For example, if its 8am on your PS3 your virtual apartment will match that time. Could be interesting when inviting people from across the atlantic.

Not a good idea. People who only play at night will never see the day

Yoboman

Forsete said:
Maybe weather too. Halloween would be much better with ominous stormclouds and snow for Christmas day :D

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Forsete said:

Indeed! But server must take care of the clock since u could change it.

I wonder if we will have "local time" new years celebrations too. You could invite western friends to watch some virtual fireworks ahead of their time :lol

RuGalz

Yoboman said:
Okay I get what you're trying to say now. I doubt they will be tracking particular discs though, because they would then have to encode every individual game so it can be identified in a specific way. Home will recognise the games you've played but not the individual disc it is on. The entitlements will be tied to your PSN username not the game itself.

The Sony engineers are smarter than I am. I'm sure they have ways to do it. It was just an example. Have you read the entitlement patent? IMO, it fits.

Mmmkay

If you can only view other trophies online, then that means the trophies from your disc can be tracked online. Many of the problems with the old 'entitlement' theories were that they relied on 100% of the userbase to be tracked online, or for writing back to the disc. This trophy based system works because you have to submit your trophy data to the PSN. It's an adaptation of the old patents yeah, but if those trophies go on to net you items and gifts for Home then it puts back in that perceived value the old patents were about (something we didn't have perspective on during the old threads).

The trophies would have to be first come first serve though. Say for example I don't have an online account, but I have won all of the trophies in MotorStorm 2. In this scenario I then sell on the disc to another user. Since those trophy victories have not been recorded by PSN and nobody can view my profile anyway to verify them, the disc, PSN, and user2 have no knowledge of whether the trophies are available or not. If he then with his online account starts to win trophies, that data then gets tracked and the trophies locked out for future owners. If I then subscribe to the PSN and it reads my save area to see what trophies I've won, it'll cross reference the discID and not award me any trophies despite winning them first.

Top Bottom