• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PLAYSTATION®3 Home™ Thread - Massive official FAQ

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
gofreak said:
But yes, the runtime environment would obviously be constrained (but typically so will the capability of hobbyists). But this would take your hobbyist games out of just the 'Linux world', into the mainstream 'PS3 world', which would be very very valuable. I've little doubt there'd be the option to monetise that and sell your games there also.

Please, please, please Sony!

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE Sony!

Magic word is: no, not please... the keyword is "hey... it can make you more money than you would "not gain" by not giving us community "game developers" some "homebrew coders geared" tools for Home Arcade Cabinets/Mini-Games :D".

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I'm going off the deep-end with speculation here, but IF they allowed this, and IF the toolset included a means to exports items into Home, you could let people unlock stuff through your own game (just like the grown up games :p). Which would be neat.

Again, though, I'm almost having to tell myself to stop dreaming about it, because technical possibility != future reality. I hope to be surprised.

Dante

Bebpo said:
Sounds pretty well thoughout but two techinical issues atm:

-Friends list is still 50 max
-World size is limited to 64 person sized bits
-No persistant world (can't check someone's acheivements without them being in home doing nothing. Guess it's sorta like the real world where everyone's houses are locked and you can only enter them with the person home)

Sounds like they want to improve most of that, but I'm a bit worried they won't increase the friends list size.

I mean with only 64 spaces and 50 invites how are you going to get all of GAF in one place?

That's why I wanna find out if users can create and model their own public spaces, like the sports lounge demo. Sounds like the whole thing is set up via a Maya plug in. Be cool to help create a NeoGaf public space, where we could al congregate.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Dante said:
That's why I wanna find out if users can create and model their own public spaces, like the sports lounge demo. Sounds like the whole thing is set up via a Maya plug in. Be cool to help create a NeoGaf public space, where we could al congregate.

I doubt it, it seems like that's reserved for 'partners'. The user spaces are there apartments, and maybe neighbourhoods, whenever and however they appear. A neighbourhood might be more public than an apartment for example.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Bebpo said:
I mean with only 64 spaces and 50 invites how are you going to get all of GAF in one place?
In the keynote, it showed some of the special achievements you could recieve and one said "Be on 100 friend lists", so it seems like they'll be increasing the limit as time goes on.

Not that 100 slots would be enough to do what you're talking about, but the point is that they appear to be thinking forward

spwolf

Bebpo said:
Sounds pretty well thoughout but two techinical issues atm:

-Friends list is still 50 max
-World size is limited to 64 person sized bits
-No persistant world (can't check someone's acheivements without them being in home doing nothing. Guess it's sorta like the real world where everyone's houses are locked and you can only enter them with the person home)

Sounds like they want to improve most of that, but I'm a bit worried they won't increase the friends list size.

you have to consider that Home, is basically an game in XMB. So everything done in it, is supported by XMB. When XMB gets 5000 user friendslists, it will work with Home.

Same goes with achivements, they would be XMB feature used by Home.

As to 64, again, it is like an game... 64 is shitload of enemies on one screen...

RuGalz

Panajev2001a said:
Do you know that your Publisher/Producer just felt this disturbance in the force (possible microscopic reduction on productivity somewhere somehow maybe who knows?) and is probably going to come to the office tomorrow with a baseball bat :p?

Well, at least I don't think I'll need to issue a public apology. :)

spwolf

p.s. coolest thing for me is that they will have mini-ebay where you can sell and purchase PSN store stuff, not only home stuff. Now thats cool - dont want Flow anymore? sell it for $3... etc, etc... it will be like used games in perfect condition.

it works well for them, since 90% of game sales come from initial sales periods, and they would still make money off transactions...

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
After the initial excitement, upon reading these FAQS I've matured mixed feelings about HOME.

On the one side I love it for everything it does. On the other side I question myself what will actually lure people to log in and roam this thing regulary?.

Why should I bother go HOME for some mp game when I can create a lobby within the game itself and invite friends right from there? (assuming it's possible - will Sony/devs purposedly limit comm functionalities in their games in order to push people over HOME to compensate?)

Why should I bother go HOME if yep, there are friends online, but they are online PLAYING something so I better just reach them through the game they are playing?

Why should I bother go HOME if I cannot visit my friends private spaces and, MOST OF ALL, their trophy rooms without invitation? (<- this bugs me tremendously)

Why should I bother go HOME if there is no point in doing so?

Is playing some pool or bowling enough? Is the opportunity to share videos and pics with friends enough for my friends to actually accept my invitations? How am I supposed to know if it's worthy going to the Theater if I'm not notified that there is something new to check out there? (no Q&A mentions this, which is trange cos I think it's mandatory to have some kind of bullettin board going on).

Sorry for the negativity. I like HOME, but it has to be worthy to go and stay there for it to be the success Sony hopes :)

The auchion system would be a pretty strong bait, but it looks like they are just planning to add it in the future. It needs to be there from the very beninning. As of now I can only see myself going HOME for the novelty at first, and then when I'm bored and dunno what to do. Is this enough to build a stable, active community?

antiloop

To make a persistent apartment you could have 2 PS3s. 1 always online with stuff. Although you wont be able to have all achievements from your other PS3 there.

Or they could make you pay a fee to store all your things on their server...

BTW 64 people in one place is a lot. :p

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
antiloop said:
To make a persistent apartment you could have 2 PS3s. 1 always online with stuff. Although you wont be able to have all achievements from your other PS3 there.

Or they could make you pay a fee to store all your things on their server...

BTW 64 people in one place is a lot. :p

Well, that's the thing. Harrison mentions stuff like MySpace or YouTube or Flickr as an inspiration of some sort, which are free mind you and yet they offer "persistent user-created content" online. Anyone can access your YouTube videos or MySpace page anytime. This makes the service worthy. Imagine if I had to invite every GAFFER to my Imageshack account in order to post a single JPG here. That wouldn't work.

With HOME, the moment you log out, you basically disappear from the community. No trace of you remains. You are back at your "ID on a Friends List" status.

As it is now it's more like a one-directional service where devs and publishers have persistent content online while end users dont. Much like Web 1.0 was.

I can see all the problems and technical difficulties a proper Web 2.0-like environment would imply, but dammit those trophy rooms have to stay there, permenently online at least. :/

Zoe

Q: Can I log on to Home in addition to someone else from one PS3? E.g.
at my friends and I want to log on...
This is technically quite an advanced problem. It effectively means logging in
to two PSN accounts at the same time from one machine, which makes it
unlikely.

I understand the limitations, but that kinda sucks. I don't want to have to buy a second PS3 so I can play pool or go bowling with the bf. Hopefully the minigames are an exception.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
TTP said:
Why should I bother go HOME for some mp game when I can create a lobby within the game itself and invite friends right from there? (assuming it's possible - will Sony/devs purposedly limit comm functionalities in their games in order to push people over HOME to compensate?)

It seems limited functionality happens quite naturally without any interference :lol There are games that don't and won't have good facilities for this. A lobby in home, or your own game-making with friends in home, could fill the gap here nicely.

If you use the game's own setup alone, if you fancy playing with the same people in a different game afterwards, that will be a lot more difficult too than it would be through home.

TTP said:
Why should I bother go HOME if yep, there are friends online, but they are online PLAYING something so I better just reach them through the game they are playing?

If home provides a way of joining others already in-game (IF), I guess the incentive would be that you would be kicked back into home afterwards automatically, if you wanted to go on and do other things with them, instead of being kicked back to the xmb and finding them subsequently.

I guess what I'm saying in both of these points is that if you plan to game with the same group across multiple games, and they're doing this via home, it makes sense to join them in there sooner rather than later. It'd be a lot easier than trying to hook up with them seperately each time they go into a different game..they'll be keeping together very easily via home, whereas you'd be struggling through a lot of inconvenience to do the same!

(This is of course, all dependent on game launching from home which they'll hopefully have ASAP)

TTP said:
Why should I bother go HOME if I cannot visit my friends private spaces and, MOST OF ALL, their trophy rooms without invitation? (<- this bugs me tremendously)

I think trophy viewing should definitely be there too. I can understand if apartment visiting isn't feasible, particularly if there's to be user-created content, but trophies aren't something that will vary from user to user, so they could be pulled off a central server to recreate a user's trophy room when they're offline.

Visiting an apartment of an offline user might be cool to maintain the idea of a persistent world, but you wouldn't be able to do much there without them being online, except maybe leave them a message or something (something you could do via the friends list anyway).

TTP said:

Is playing some pool or bowling enough? Is the opportunity to share videos and pics with friends enough for my friends to actually accept my invitations?

I think that's all down to the individual. But, I think for people who are not taken with the idea of crafting a virtual identity/life just for the sake of it (the type who views it as pointless, who didn't get games like Animal Crossing etc.), there are a few things that should make it worthwhile. 1) The group management, as above, once game jumping is in there, 2) The community aspects, if fleshed out - e.g. events, themed gamespaces etc. and 3) more personal community aspects with friends, like media sharing. I can see people seeing the representation as simply a means to those ends, rather than an end in itself. Whereas others will also view the whole virtual identity thing as an end in and of itself also.

sun-drop

maybe yr freinds aparment can get cached to yr harddrive ..whch would be sorta like a offline mode you'd enter if you tried to go vist while he wasn't home....

and if two of your freinds showed up .. say one has a more recent version of the homeowners apartment cached .... then this updates the other mates who may not have visted this house for a while .. that way all the freinds in the apartment get to walk around the same 'version' of the what is actually an offline appartment.

then the home ownr gets home and every1 is updated to current live status.

then agan i can't go walk into some1 house while they aren't home unless i have a key ...... maaaaaybe that how that could work ... you could give 'keys' to people and your private space gets cahced on to yr mates HDD's

that would mean background sysncronising tho ..might bog down the performance on already streached bandwidth..

i'm fine with only being able to access apartmnets when the user is home, the idea is being social so meh ... not walking around empty rooms

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
shagg_187 said:
Q: What moderation is used in the system for vulgar / abusive
language?
We will have a basic text profanity filter.

This is a bad idea. Do not do such an unthinkably stupid thing, Sony.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
TTP said:
On the one side I love it for everything it does. On the other side I question myself what will actually lure people to log in and roam this thing regulary?.

?

Maybe Sony will use HOME as their equivalent for the integrated lobbies and netcode etc that MS provide? So effectively you get invites to a persons HOME space when they want to play a game, and you pop in there for a chat to decide what game to play - rather than the initiating person deciding for you?

I'd expect them to tie it in to both the XMB and games, so you can get pulled out of a game into HOME or directly into another game.

If they make it seamless enough then you won't even be thinking about launching it as a separate application - it'll just be somewhere you meet up with friends before going off and playing together or watching something.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Wollan said:
I'm sure it can be turned on and off like in any other application.

I'm sure you're wrong. In fact I don't think I've ever seen an application that lets you turn it on and off. Several message boards I post on have over-aggressive swear filters, and it's horrible - prevents you from discussing certain things while doing absolutely nothing to prevent people from swearing to their hearts' contents. Anyone remember the Phantasy Star Online filter that meant you couldn't talk about sophomores, shoes or the Hell Raygun (an actual weapon in the game, for crying out loud...)?

tribal24

Banned
iapetus said:
I'm sure you're wrong. In fact I don't think I've ever seen an application that lets you turn it on and off. Several message boards I post on have over-aggressive swear filters, and it's horrible - prevents you from discussing certain things while doing absolutely nothing to prevent people from swearing to their hearts' contents. Anyone remember the Phantasy Star Online filter that meant you couldn't talk about sophomores, shoes or the Hell Raygun (an actual weapon in the game, for crying out loud...)?

if i remeber correctly you can turn it on and off in ffxi so it shouldnt be a problem here

Wollan

I haven't played a mmo game where you couldn't turn it off, ever actually. Also, a forum is obviously quite a different thing.

Flyguy

PlayStation Home download targeted to be under 500MB

Sony Computer Entertainment’s big news at this year’s GDC is the announcement of PlayStation Home, basically what appears to be ‘the answer’ for PS3’s life online. Phil Harrison’s keynote Wednesday at the Game Developer Conference explained the features and appearance of PlayStation Home, which some call the closest realization of William Gibson's Cyberspace.

Old, but apparently relevant sci-fi classics aside, parallels between Second Life and PlayStation Home were immediately drawn, but Sony touts its free online service as superior to the MMO. “Home is a much more rich, user friendly experience than Second Life, allowing for ease of entry and use, as well as being fully-functional with the technology and capabilities of PS3,” said a Sony representative in the ThreeSpeech blog.

With Microsoft’s Xbox Live service as the benchmark for online console gaming, most Sony faithful were hoping for a PS3 online experience that would equal the competitive offering. But Sony’s belief is that it has a product that’s incomparable to Xbox Live.

“Home is a first of its kind 3D community that allows for open interaction between consumers, SCE and third party partners. It is a truly interactive, global community of users,” the representative added. “Xbox Live is a static, 2D, text-heavy environment that can’t match the rich community features found in Home. Xbox Live community interaction is much more passive and limited to the members on that friend’s list.”

While it’s unclear if PlayStation Home will become a mandatory way for gamers to connect with each other, but the current PlayStation Store is to coexist with the upcoming service. “Home is a real-time online 3D, networked community available on the Network, while the Store offers free and premium digital goods delivered directly to your PS3,” Sony said.

It’s also unknown if PlayStation Home will be an optional component for online gamers, though Sony revealed that a download of under 500 MB is required in order to add the feature to the PS3.

A Home Beta Trial Web site is now available online with placeholder graphics and art for the pending public beta test set to begin in April. The full release of PlayStation Home is slated for this fall.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=6400

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
mrklaw said:
Maybe Sony will use HOME as their equivalent for the integrated lobbies and netcode etc that MS provide? So effectively you get invites to a persons HOME space when they want to play a game, and you pop in there for a chat to decide what game to play - rather than the initiating person deciding for you?

That's actually a good idea, but I already complain about how slow the 360 dashboard is. Having to go HOME (load > relocating > zzzzz) to get the same functionality doesnt excite me tha much.

Also, what gofreak says ("There are games that don't and won't have good facilities for this. A lobby in home, or your own game-making with friends in home, could fill the gap here nicely") is really scary cos I can see devs not bothering implementing a proper online functionality since there is HOME to "fill the gap".

Bottomline is, I dont want HOME to be a replacement of Live. I want the basics PSN service to be like Live, and HOME something else above it.

If they make it seamless enough then you won't even be thinking about launching it as a separate application - it'll just be somewhere you meet up with friends before going off and playing together or watching something.

Sure, but still, it's not fast enough IMO. Isn't it better to just be invited from Game A to Game B rather then go Game A > HOME > Game B?

TTP said:
After the initial excitement, upon reading these FAQS I've matured mixed feelings about HOME.

Is playing some pool or bowling enough? Is the opportunity to share videos and pics with friends enough for my friends to actually accept my invitations? How am I supposed to know if it's worthy going to the Theater if I'm not notified that there is something new to check out there? (no Q&A mentions this, which is trange cos I think it's mandatory to have some kind of bullettin board going on).

Sorry for the negativity. I like HOME, but it has to be worthy to go and stay there for it to be the success Sony hopes :)

The auchion system would be a pretty strong bait, but it looks like they are just planning to add it in the future. It needs to be there from the very beninning. As of now I can only see myself going HOME for the novelty at first, and then when I'm bored and dunno what to do. Is this enough to build a stable, active community?
seriously, if you could do everything you said without home, why would you use home at all?

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Panajev2001a said:
Wow, that could be really awesome :D. I wonder what the limitations for those games would be, in the FAQ they mention the possibility of IP holders to re-release old Game IP's through these Arcade Cabinets/Mini-Games inside the Home service so they must mean some kind of graphical capabilities at least beyond the original NES ;).

Having a LUA+C/C++ tool-set with GBA-like graphics routines (tiled or bit-mapped backgrounds and sprites and some other GBA-like effects)... this could be done without opening ANYTHING of RSX to community developers.

Hmmm, could it be...that THAT's what that "thing" was for? Interesting...

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
The Faceless Master said:
seriously, if you could do everything you said without home, why would you use home at all?

That's a good question.

Edit: I guess I see HOME mostly as a replacement for pre-game Instant Messaging and Forums-posting. ANd of course for content sharing. I really dig the video/audio streaming thing.

Gattsu25

Banned
iapetus said:
FFXI, WoW, and EQII (90% sure on that last one) allow you to disable text filtering.

People will use HOME for the same reason people stay hooked to MMOs well beyond the point where the game is no longer fun. The social element will keep them logging on long after HOME itself has lost its luster.
TTP said:
That's actually a good idea, but I already complain about how slow the 360 dashboard is. Having to go HOME (load > relocating > zzzzz) to get the same functionality doesnt excite me tha much.

Also, what gofreak says ("There are games that don't and won't have good facilities for this. A lobby in home, or your own game-making with friends in home, could fill the gap here nicely") is really scary cos I can see devs not bothering implementing a proper online functionality since there is HOME to "fill the gap".

Bottomline is, I dont want HOME to be a replacement of Live. I want the basics PSN service to be like Live, and HOME something else above it.

Sure, but still, it's not fast enough IMO. Isn't it better to just be invited from Game A to Game B rather then go Game A > HOME > Game B?
That's what it comes down to for me, as well

Wollan

Well it's all about having a consistent mmo world, community that ties everything PS3 together and not least keeping up your virtual identity and home.

Even if you're not the type that likes that kinda experience I could see you guys dropping in from time to time to check out the latest streams in the Square Enix store or whatnot.

dfyb

Banned
are we sure the trophy room DOESN'T stay there when we're offline? in the trailer, it says "public and private display." am i wrong, or isn't the trophy room seperate than your apartment (iirc, it was a seperate room)? you can't seem to be able to decorate it like the rest of your apartment.

since the trophy room seems like it'd only be able to store trophies, it seems like the filesize could be kept tiny -- small enough that sony could host it so people could visit it anytime. assuming sony hosts the trophies (which isn't that unlikely), the file that details what your trophy room looks like would only need to include what trophy is located in what spot...

jiggle

iapetus said:

In Final Fantasy XI
There's a filter u can turn on and off on the fly that blocks the A and F word. Don' tknow what else, i always have mine off.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I love that they're not going to over-police the private rooms, or watch what content is being displayed. Movie meetings total, haha.

damn! now somebody please tell god to make 30 hour days for us to be able to enjoy all this nerd stuff... without having to prive ourselves from real life...

i can´t stop thinking of great things that can happen in this service...

Defuser

I think Home is a great idea,im sure developers would take advantage of it.They have no loss in it instead they can make money by:
Advertisements
Selling popular items which people want.
Reselling their old ip into minigames which people will buy.

Of course consumers will have benefits also,think of Square Enix's home for Final fantasy,Capcom's home of Dante's office or the arctic snow of lost planet.etc

Yoboman

Man this is really fleshed out, I can believe this is so old it was once in planning for PS2. I know this is going to be remarkable. :D Just reading that and thinking about stuff like how people will REALLY get into the clothes and appearance portion of the game, especially once online auctions are allowed (think how much effort people and "virtual money" people put into this for WoW.) I could even imagine virtual fads starting with the clothing, for those who get into these options :D

I liked the idea of EB or GAME being able to make their own spaces. Imagine walking into a virtual EB with walls lined with virtual game boxes :lol Heck, they could even give jobs to real people to work as virtual salesman :lol

One complaint I have is that it's not persistent yet, but I'm glad to see they'll address it. I hope you can still access profiles and send invitations and such, even if you can't access their apartment

EDIT: I hope the clothing apparel is able to be wide and varied in appearance. It'd be totally awesome if you could unlock Dante's clothing for finishing DMC or be able to equip a lightsaber to your belt for finishing the next Star Wars game :) Heck, they could give you unlockables for your room so you could totally jazz it up and make it look like the actual "Devil May Cry" store or something :) My mind is wild with ideas

Yoboman

iapetus said:
Like posting links to kotaku and such?:D

Snah

Banned
PS HOME should have 'Virtual E3' during E3 events...and perhaps for other events as well like TGS...

It would be easy enough to create; just model the E3 booth and then allow publishers to provide booth specific content, media, and so forth.

A lot of people are not able to enjoy E3, but this way it would allow gamers to walk around a virtual booth/lobby where the content is streamlined from servers on booth screens and so forth.

Would be an awesome idea to implement :)

Mmmkay

TTP said:
what will actually lure people to log in and roam this thing regulary?.
Call me cynical, but with the innerbits rumour that background downloading won't be available while you're playing games, I think they've designed it that way to encourage you to jump into Home while you're waiting for it to finish.

Yoboman

Snah said:
PS HOME should have 'Virtual E3' during E3 events...and perhaps for other events as well like TGS...

It would be easy enough to create; just model the E3 booth and then allow publishers to provide booth specific content, media, and so forth.

A lot of people are not able to enjoy E3, but this way it would allow gamers to walk around a virtual booth/lobby where the content is streamlined from servers on booth screens and so forth.

Would be an awesome idea to implement :)
That is a really cool idea, actually :) Though I dunno if they could implement full scale E3 demos or anything.

Snah

Banned
Yoboman said:
That is a really cool idea, actually :) Though I dunno if they could implement full scale E3 demos or anything.

Yeah, you'd probably not see as many demos (only demos of really polished software -- see Lost Planet last year during E3), but you'd definitely have the official trailers and content that is revealed for E3.

It'd also be pretty awesome to have a virtual keynote speech or something, with phil harrison or kaz models (instead of streaming video), talking on stage, with huge TV screens showcasing the actual videogame content. You'd be in the audience, experiencing it virtually from whatever theatre they usually have these things in.

Heh. this is all kind of 'out there' stuff, but it truly would be extremely easy to do.

Yoboman

Snah said:
Yeah, you'd probably not see as many demos (only demos of really polished software -- see Lost Planet last year during E3), but you'd definitely have the official trailers and content that is revealed for E3.

It'd also be pretty awesome to have a virtual keynote speech or something, with phil harrison or kaz models (instead of streaming video), talking on stage, with huge TV screens showcasing the actual videogame content. You'd be in the audience, experiencing it virtually from whatever theatre they usually have these things in.

Heh. this is all kind of 'out there' stuff, but it truly would be extremely easy to do.
I think that'd be a bit lame, but watching the keynote live in Home would be awesome. :)

Gadeus

Musashi Wins! said:
I love that they're not going to over-police the private rooms, or watch what content is being displayed. Movie meetings total, haha.

Has it been confirmed if full movies can be streamed through Home? I've seen "streams video" thrown about through all of the interviews and FAQs about Home, but I haven't once seen what limitations will be placed on playback. Also, do the files actually have to be stored on the PS3 hard drive, or can I stream videos and music that are on my iPod, which is plugged into a PS3 USB port?

Profanity filters for text could be a pain in the ass, but wouldn't using a headset be a work around if it's impossible to toggle off a filter?

xaosslug

i was actually thinking about something. When home officially has its launch, and assuming there are a bunch of 3rd parties/companies with a tricked-out space, will that tell us whether or not they've been in on home's existence for some time, or is it just that easy to get a space up and running? Hmm.

Wollan

Well, I guess several of us here at GAF will join the beta from April on. Depending on how tight the NDA's are maybe info like that will come out (though someone will always leak that stuff).

Top Bottom