• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PLAYSTATION®3 Home™ Thread - Massive official FAQ

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Wollan said:
They said they would have special events on xmas and new years eve and so forth (no link, trust me TTP ;)

Yeah, I know that (no need to link ;))

I was just wondering if it's gonna be local time-dependant or not.

Wollan

They would have regional differences regarding commercials so I would think the day rhythm would keep up accordingly (if there is a day rhythm).

OK guys, close your eyes and open your mind for a sec. and listen to my pitch for HOME'S Commercial and or advert.

The commercial begins with the camera focused in on the PS3, with the reflection of the HOME ICON on it like most of the game commercials they have.

Now that icons turns to Patti Labelle Singing "HOME" from the Wizard OZ, you know the melody when I think of home, I think of a place where loves overflowing.

The camera pans out with captions of people from all across the planet with mic in hand singing the same song with Patti Labelle in a "Sing star type inter-face.

Now the camera zooms in and goes inside the PS3 XMB Home Icon and now you see the HOME enviroment and a avatar of those in the comercial meet in the HOME lobby on their way to the Patti Labelle concert.

Whatcha think?

Wollan

I can't find a example of her singing it on YouTube. Haven't heard it before I believe or at least I don't recognise the name. Know of a online video?

Wollan said:
I can't find a example of her singing it on YouTube. Haven't heard it before I believe or at least I don't recognise the name. Know of a online video?

Are you familiar with the Movie the Wizard of OZ, which starred a young Judy Garland, from I believe the late 1930's. Well Judy Sings the Home song when she thinks about going back to kansas. Well Patti Labelle, sings a more soulful remake of this song in the late 1970's or early 80's. Its a great song and would bold well for this feature.

Angelcurio

Steroyd said:
GAF TOWN CONFIRMED :D :D :D

Holy shit at the Q&A I'll have to read the rest of it on my PSP in bed.

I love my PSP.

/strokes PSP.

That would be all kinds of awesome
Indifferent2.gif

Pimpwerx

Trophies can be stored on a dedicated server. I'd hate to be in the middle of a game and have someone stealing precious bandwidth to view my home or trophy room. PEACE.

theBishop

Banned
Pimpwerx said:
Trophies can be stored on a dedicated server. I'd hate to be in the middle of a game and have someone stealing precious bandwidth to view my home or trophy room. PEACE.

Home isn't persistent. I don't think they can view your trophies when you're not in Home.

jtardiou

Banned
I was so close to buying a 360, but because of this I'm getting a PS3. This is the operating system of the PS3, I'm really impressed. I hope they don't make it too much like a sim game.

I've always said this gen is about two things -- HD and Online play. PS3 will dominate again.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
mr_nothin said:
Ok so was it known that warhawk is coming "Late Spring/Early Summer"?

I thought someone said september..so that's a nice surprise.

150 Sony PS3 games in development too ... (obviously at all stages from early pre-production onward, but I thought 100 was the figure thrown out a few months ago).

Amir0x

Banned
gofreak said:
I thought someone said september..so that's a nice surprise.

150 Sony PS3 games in development too ... (obviously at all stages from early pre-production onward, but I thought 100 was the figure thrown out a few months ago).

I still can't believe that number. I guess it counts everything, though, all versions of games for every country or something? And PSN titles too, obviously.

If they're all unique games... and even if only 75 come out in the end, that's a pretty astronomical number. Even if only 25 of those games are good or great, that's an army of quality by itself without third party. I just hope that Sony doesn't become a second Nintendo, catering less to the third parties. These systems need awesome third party games.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
jtardiou said:
I was so close to buying a 360, but because of this I'm getting a PS3. This is the operating system of the PS3, I'm really impressed. I hope they don't make it too much like a sim game.

Argh.

HOME is not an operating system. Neither is it a game. But everything else you've said is spot on!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Amir0x said:
I still can't believe that number. I guess it counts everything, though, all versions of games for every country or something? And PSN titles too, obviously.

If they're all unique games... and even if only 75 come out in the end, that's a pretty astronomical number. Even if only 25 of those games are good or great, that's an army of quality by itself without third party. I just hope that Sony doesn't become a second Nintendo, catering less to the third parties. These systems need awesome third party games.

I'd say they're unique, but they run the range, everything from a games on paper, to games in beta etc.

Downloadables will boost that number (and probably accounts for the boost since last time).

But here's a thought - look at how much Sony grew from the PSone era to the end of the PS2 era. Are Sony content to stop there, or will they be aiming to expand again with PS3? They're already a pretty huge publisher, and they could be aiming higher still.

On third parties, I agree, but I don't think they're in danger territory, yet. I mean, by most measures they were already bigger than Nintendo during the PS2's years, but they didn't fall into that trap. Probably because the diversity of their portfolio encouraged adoption by a wide variety of people whose interests weren't fully satisfied just by Sony's own content, and bought others', instead of them focussing on one set of fans and satisfying them entirely (as perhaps, one could argue, Nintendo does or did).

Lynn

Banned
"Q: Can you enter, say, MotorStorm™ quickly through Home without
having to travel to the specific MotorStorm™ lobby?
Currently, users can find each other in Home, and then arrange to go off and
play MotorStorm™ at the same time. Eventually, users will be able to meet in
Home and seamlessly launch into a game of MotorStorm™. Similarly, users
will be able to exit to Home directly from the game"

So, if I am playing MotorStorm and want to find someone to play online with I need to leave the game, goto HOME, find a friend and meet in the GAMES LOBBY in HOME to play again. Terrible invite system. Hey Sony, keep it simple.

"Currently Home is not a persistent world, so when you leave Home, all of your possessions go with you. For instance, it is not currently possible for other users to visit your apartment while you're not there. We are working on the persistent aspect of Home, and expect to implement it in the long term."

So this system is useless to compare achievements. You can only visit when they are online.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Lynn said:
"Q: Can you enter, say, MotorStorm™ quickly through Home without
having to travel to the specific MotorStorm™ lobby?
Currently, users can find each other in Home, and then arrange to go off and
play MotorStorm™ at the same time. Eventually, users will be able to meet in
Home and seamlessly launch into a game of MotorStorm™. Similarly, users
will be able to exit to Home directly from the game"

So, if I am playing MotorStorm and want to find someone to play online with I need to leave the game, goto HOME, find a friend and meet in the GAMES LOBBY in HOME to play again. Terrible invite system. Hey Sony, keep it simple.

Unfortunately there is no way of fixing this within the eight months they have until launch.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
chubigans said:
Unfortunately there is no way of fixing this within the eight months they have until launch.

Hopefully Sony will take suggestions from the beta testers rather than just check packet losses and other network stuff.

Lynn

Banned
chubigans said:

Sony says they have been working on this for 3 years. They still have not fixed it.

Compare Live and Home and you will see the advantages of Live.

Home achievements can only be compared when both players are online at the same time. When you log off of Home all you achievements go with you.

Live Achievements can be compared anytime. Also, Live is intergrated into Xbox.com making everything much easier. Ask yourself, Where do you look at achievements most? On your Xbox or on Xbox.com?

Match making on Live is quick and easy. On Home I will need to log off the game I am playing. Log on to Home. Find people in the Home lobby and then launch the game again. How is that making things easier?

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
gofreak said:
They're already a pretty huge publisher, and they could be aiming higher still.

In terms of headcount, they're already by far the largest first-party developer.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Forsete said:
*hangs self*

Home is not LIVE! Its the social community of PSN.

And that's what needs to be. If it becomes an excuse for not developing the basic PSN service further then it will soon be seen as an akward mean to get what Live offers.

Mmmkay

I'll go tell them there's no point turning the server on. It's over guys. Maybe they'll pass those electricity bill savings on to us?

POLL:
how many of you will create yourself to be closest to your likeness?
vs
how many of you will create yourself to look completely different to something else
if you are a man creating yourself as a woman, reveal yourself!

Lynn

Banned
Forsete said:
*hangs self*

Home is not LIVE! Its the social community of PSN.

Don`t tell us. Tell those kids on all the playstation forums. They are the ones screaming Home is a Live killer.

haircut

I hate the idea of customizable avatars with bling and fashionable pants and swimsuits and personal furniture setups with every fiber of my being. I hate it so incredibly much that I can't help but think this will be a huge hit.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Lynn said:
Don`t tell us. Tell those kids on all the playstation forums. They are the ones screaming Home is a Live killer.

So why don't you go tell them that it's not. Don't do it here.

haircut said:
I hate the idea of customizable avatars with bling and fashionable pants and swimsuits and personal furniture setups with every fiber of my being. I hate it so incredibly much that I can't help but think this will be a huge hit.

And it's all optional :p

Lynn said:
Sony says they have been working on this for 3 years. They still have not fixed it.

Compare Live and Home and you will see the advantages of Live.

Home achievements can only be compared when both players are online at the same time. When you log off of Home all you achievements go with you.

Live Achievements can be compared anytime. Also, Live is intergrated into Xbox.com making everything much easier. Ask yourself, Where do you look at achievements most? On your Xbox or on Xbox.com?

Match making on Live is quick and easy. On Home I will need to log off the game I am playing. Log on to Home. Find people in the Home lobby and then launch the game again. How is that making things easier?

We don't know that for a fact. Your apartment is not persistant but we don't know if your trophy room is or is not. Remember, the trophy room is a seperate area from your apartment and your achievement trophies are not stored in your apartment. So achievement trophies could be stored online for anyone to see.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Marty Chinn said:
We don't know that for a fact. Your apartment is not persistant but we don't know if your trophy room is or is not. Remember, the trophy room is a seperate area from your apartment and your achievement trophies are not stored in your apartment. So achievement trophies could be stored online for anyone to see.

I hope someone can get a straight anwser about this from Harrison. Sadly no interview touches upon the persistent issue :/ (but that's maybe because interviews took place before journos could thing about HOME "deeply" enough to come up with this kind of questions. Hopefully Threespeech or N'Gal Croal's blog can shed a light on this)

Ok, I think this is the flu and the fact I haven't eaten in two days getting to me, but uh... Why is no one else really ****ing terrified of this? I mean, to me, it screams of some demonic executive who's wife plays the sims all day and he one day noticed those little dudes weren't using brand name toilet paper. It's 5000% "How do we come up with a tolerable way to cram ads down users throats?" sheer ingenuity. Not to mention every ****ing thing about this seems wholly evil, from the whitewashed cleanrooms, THAT ONE OUTFIT WITH THE INTENTIONALLY CROOKED TIE, the creepy ass dancing, THAT SCARY VOICE OVER. It's all pure ****ing evil.

Amir0x

Banned
Son of Godzilla said:
Ok, I think this is the flu and the fact I haven't eaten in two days getting to me, but uh... Why is no one else really ****ing terrified of this? I mean, to me, it screams of some demonic executive who's wife plays the sims all day and he one day noticed those little dudes weren't using brand name toilet paper. It's 5000% "How do we come up with a tolerable way to cram ads down users throats?" sheer ingenuity. Not to mention every ****ing thing about this seems wholly evil, from the whitewashed cleanrooms, THAT ONE OUTFIT WITH THE INTENTIONALLY CROOKED TIE, the creepy ass dancing, THAT SCARY VOICE OVER. It's all pure ****ing evil.

I don't mind ads, if it's used to subsidize things and make shit free. Which, apparently it is... since HOME and PSN is free. If it wasn't free, I'd be with you on the evil shit. But I think advertising is necessary in gaming - we have it in movies, we have it in television, and if gaming is ever going to continue growing with the ambition required then it's gonna need to find a true place in the spectrum. I think this is probably the least offensive way to do it, since you're not paying for it.

Zaptruder said:
So, I manage to change one friend's buying choice from X360 to PS3 because of Home and LBP.

Well played Sony. Well played.

ZAPTRUDER IS CHANGING THE TIDES OF WAR FOR SONY.

Wollan

Man, the idea I had in my head (not posted) at the time was soo lame compared to the real thing. I visioned like heaps of identical houses (small yellow simple ones) in a grid. With us the players walking around (with the avatars being as big as the houses, just a representative world sort of) and greeting other friends. The house would be a small room like that Japan PSN game with no view..etc. :lol

Wollan

gutter_trash said:
POLL:
how many of you will create yourself to be closest to your likeness?
vs
how many of you will create yourself to look completely different to something else
if you are a man creating yourself as a woman, reveal yourself!

It will definitely be myself. Down to the last drop of sweat.

Top Bottom