• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PLAYSTATION®3 Home™ Thread - Massive official FAQ

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
beermonkey@tehbias said:
Wait and see what happens over the next few years, and we'll see who is right.
You're still not reading me right if you think my dispute of your comments has anything to do with how things will settle out a few years down the road.

Wollan

Looks like Home is actually running in 1080P. :eek: (Possibly via the horizontal scaler?)

Pete Cullen, a blogger who attended the ThreeSpeech @ 3 Rooms happening on Tuesday (where Phil Harrison demonstrated Home live) saw the Bravia TV picture flicker and then display the message AV5 1080P when Home was booted up.

Wollan: You mention that Home was running in 1080p. Was this something Phil Harrison himself stated or was it an assumption? Thanks in advance and keep up the good work.

Pete: Phil didn’t state it was running in 1080p, but a couple of times the screen flicked like it was doing a resolution change and in the top left hand corner of the screen it said AV5 1080P

http://www.petecullen.net/?p=176#comment-1000

Kinan

Honestly I wouldnt expect anything less than 1080p from HOME. If first party 3D interface would not be able to deliver 1080p that would mean that PS3 is totally not capable of hyped "higher definition". :p

While Home looks better than Second Life, I'm not seeing anything that shouldn't be doable in 1080p. That's not a slam, the graphics seem fine for this kind of application.

Wollan

But it's doing quite a few things at once. Like the constant video streaming, keeping you connected with other people around (as well as displaying all those characters), physics in a mmo online environment. It's a pretty technical beast even if it doesn't look like Uncharted.

Oni Jazar

3Space4.jpg

*DROOL*

I love that TV image.

Mmmkay

The screens on Sony's press site are at 720p with 2xMSAA. So... the PS3 Harrison was using err upscaled? A possibility at least.

Mmmkay said:
The screens on Sony's press site are at 720p with 2xMSAA. So... the PS3 Harrison was using err upscaled? A possibility at least.

Don't forget the new 960x1080 option. It's only 12.5% more pixels than 720p, and I think we'll start to see it get universal support.

Wollan

Mmmkay said:

Could be. The app is doing quite a bit of work in the background before even having to think about resolution. Maybe it's the first PS3 software to use the horizontal scaler.

Wollan said:
Could be. The app is doing quite a bit of work in the background before even having to think about resolution. Maybe it's the first PS3 software to use the horizontal scaler.

I thought VF5 (US) used the horizontal scaling solution?

Jim

Mmmkay said:

Yah... it would have to be the PS3 internally upscaling/rendering and then outputting, otherwise the Bravia wouldn't list the display as "1080p". Either way, it'll look nice I'm sure. Besides the multiple character models and network overhead, I'm sure the PS3 should be able to keep up with it.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
I thought VF5 (US) used the horizontal scaling solution?

I think Sonic might also, based on what some others have claimed.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
beermonkey@tehbias said:
TTP,

If they can pull it off with the games being ignorant and the OS doing everything more power to them. I really don't care as long as the end functionality is the same.

By the end of this year I am expecting PSN to reach a point where no matter what PS3 game I am playing I will be able to tap the Home button and quickly get to an XMB screen where I can manage messaging and invites. I expect some kind of overlayed notification on-screen that lets me know when I receive an invitation or message, no matter what game I am playing. And if an invite is accepted, I expect a graceful transition between titles with little additional interaction required beyond 1) confirming to the current game that I wish to save and exit and 2) swapping discs if the destination game is disc-based.

If they can get there, I'll be thrilled. Ditto for Nintendo. If they don't get there this year, they just don't get it and hopefully they get a lot of criticism for spending untold millions on Home while not getting this basic functionality in place. Really, it should have been there last fall...

Screw all that BS beermonkey. You're asking too much from an online system that's free. This is all they need to do (from your post)....

By the end of this year I am expecting PSN to reach a point where no matter what PS3 game I am playing I will be able to tap the Home button and quickly get to an XMB screen where I can manage messaging and invites. I expect some kind of overlayed notification on-screen that lets me know when I receive an invitation or message, no matter what game I am playing.

But to me after that when I accept the invitation I would just like the PS3 to request me to insert the "blah" disc and have me manually go to the correct lobby.

mckmas8808 said:
Screw all that BS beermonkey. You're asking too much from an online system that's free. This is all they need to do (from your post)....

I didn't see you saying that to all the Single Console fans who last year were bragging about how PSN would have 'Live for Free'. You seem a bit selective about who you like to argue with.

Let's just drop it and wait and see. This is getting tiresome.

mckmas8808

beermonkey@tehbias said:
I didn't see you saying that to all the Single Console fans who last year were bragging about how PSN would have 'Live for Free'. You seem a bit selective about who you like to argue with.

Let's just drop it and wait and see. This is getting tiresome.

People that said PSN would be LIVE for free are crazy. Seriously why would anyone in the world think Sony could catch MS in the online area would MS had a 4 year head start?

reminder

I don't know if it's old, so sorry if the bump is useless. :)

Here is an interview with Dave Karraker about the GDC announcements. Not much new in it, but he confirms, that existing games can get Trophies through firmware updates. :D

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
A little bump for an article from Develop magazine:

http://www.developmag.com/news/26393/Welcome-Home

Not a whole bunch new in there. The lead artist on home will be writing an opinion piece for their next issue, so there are some comments from him and Phil Harrison in there. There's a bit there on the background (e.g the PS2 prototype was called "The Hub", it was 2D), and another interesting idea from Harrison (i.e. developers previewing character models or the like from upcoming games in home, and allowing users to inspect them in 3D space and vote on them).

edit - I'm guessing beta registration should be starting soon..the beta is supposed to open up to registrants this month, right?

Oni Jazar

Phil said Home will be open to a limited beta in April. April is here and no word of even applying for the beta makes me worry that it could be pushed back.

Reading the article it makes me wish this Home system would have been online for PS3's launch. It would have given Sony a great way of differentiating itself with the competition early on.

mckmas8808

Oni Jazar said:
Phil said Home will be open to a limited beta in April. April is here and no word of even applying for the beta makes me worry that it could be pushed back.

Reading the article it makes me wish this Home system would have been online for PS3's launch. It would have given Sony a great way of differentiating itself with the competition early on.

The system just started launched in EU and has been here for 5 months so it's not THAT bad. And I'm glad they are saying anything. Just turn on BETA and let me sign up before everybody else. I don't want another GTA IV internet break down. :lol

A lot of talk in the thread about whether a game pauses when you push the Home button and what alerts can be overlayed whilst playing a game.

I wonder, does the sixaxis battery low alert appear whilst you are playing a game?

I've seen it whilst on the XMB, I wondered if anyone has seen it whilst playing a game?

Not that is signifies anything in particular.

Wollan

The first thing I did when I saw this thread bumped was to open up my homepage (funny) which is the Home Betatrial site. :lol

Core407

Banned
Nick Laslett said:
A lot of talk in the thread about whether a game pauses when you push the Home button and what alerts can be overlayed whilst playing a game.

I wonder, does the sixaxis battery low alert appear whilst you are playing a game?

I've seen it whilst on the XMB, I wondered if anyone has seen it whilst playing a game?

Not that is signifies anything in particular.

All I got was a message that told me to plug the controller into the USB cable when my battery died mid-game.

Cory_t_

So when the hell are the home beta sign-ups going to open, they've had that damn site up for about a month and it hasn't once changed.

Isn't the private beta starting in may?

Surreal

Mmmkay said:
Yeah it's down for me too. Probably crapped itself when 80 people clicked their bookmarks at the sight of this being bumped.

Or they're getting ready to put up sign-ups for the Home beta! [/hype!]

Ploid 3.0

I'm a GAP member but I changed my email to a empty hotmail one and forgot what that email address was :(

Edit: Oh great, my PS3 browser don't meet the requirements to brows Playstation.com GAP area. hmmm, Oh forgot I turned java off after having problems loading certan gaf thread pages.

Cory_t_

Sorry, i didn't mean to get everyone's hopes up by bumping this, i just didn't feel my question should be in it's own thread.

But seriously, why did they open that site if they were gonna wait a month or maybe two before opening sign-ups, just seems odd to me.

Oh, and the site is still working for me. What Mmmkay said is probably what happened.

Again, sorry guys, i was just wondering about it is all.

Cory_t_

g35twinturbo said:
your prob loading cache items, press ctrl+f5

Its not loading for me @ all on IE7 or firefox :(

You're right, it is down. Maybe they ARE updating it.

ZOMGPUTONAPOTOFCOFFEE!!!111!1!!1one!!1

I'm pulling an all-nighter with this baby on auto reload!

:lol :lol :lol

Top Bottom