• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti launch/review day - 2017/03/09

Dave_6

I'm in a dilemma. I'm about to add a dedicated sim racing rig to my PC room and it is going to use three 1080p 144hz displays. I'm keeping my Dell S2716DG for my desk to do regular gaming with. I've been looking at 1080tis for a while now with the Asus Strix as my number one choice. The problem I just realized is that it only has two Displayport and one DVI-D. Have any of you ever had any luck using a Displayport splitter? Or any other ideas?

Wag

Newegg is selling a couple of 1080 Ti's relatively cheap on eBay:

14-133-648-S99.jpg

s-l500.jpg

PNY FE for $649 and Asus Turbo for $639.

I was planning on buying a EVGA FE anyways but I can't seem to find them for a decent price. I want the blower style fan because my case gets hot.

Which of these two cards are a better suited for SLI? Should I just stick with the standard PNY FE design?

Well, picked up an X34 recently and that with Destiny 2 pushed me over the edge on a Ti. Strix is in the mail...

I was planning on buying a EVGA FE anyways but I can't seem to find them for a decent price. I want the blower style fan because my case gets hot.

Which of these two cards are a better suited for SLI? Should I just stick with the standard PNY FE design?

EVGA warranties their cards even if you change out the cooler, so their FE cards are desirable for people doing liquid or hybrid cooling.

The two cards are basically the same- both are probably reference PCBs which means only the shape of the cooler is different.

FYI though, the blower cooler is just not effective enough for the amount of heat the card puts out. Yes, it's nice that it blows out of the case, but... it's only 2 slots wide and only has one fan (that's not even oriented optimally). Unless your case is an absolute hot box blower style will still be louder and less effective. And if your case is really that bad... We're talking about $700 video cards here, swapping cases is an option.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I'm in a dilemma. I'm about to add a dedicated sim racing rig to my PC room and it is going to use three 1080p 144hz displays. I'm keeping my Dell S2716DG for my desk to do regular gaming with. I've been looking at 1080tis for a while now with the Asus Strix as my number one choice. The problem I just realized is that it only has two Displayport and one DVI-D. Have any of you ever had any luck using a Displayport splitter? Or any other ideas?

The hdmi port is hdmi 2.0, it supports 1080p @144hz, you can use an hdmi to diplay port adapter.

Hellix

Looks like another wave of step ups going out from EVGA. I'm still not sure if I want to give up my ICX cooling... I can't seem to find any temp benchmarks on the SC Black Edition aside from SC2 and FTW3. Anyone here running the Black Edition on air in an mITX case?

Haven't been following the thread so I apologize if this has been asked to death. Is there a general agreement to which version of the card is the "best"? Taking into account for performance, cooling and price.

kmfdmpig

Looks like another wave of step ups going out from EVGA. I'm still not sure if I want to give up my ICX cooling... I can't seem to find any temp benchmarks on the SC Black Edition aside from SC2 and FTW3. Anyone here running the Black Edition on air in an mITX case?

I have one in a mid-sized case (S340) and the temps have been very good for me. I haven't tried to really push it, but Witcher 3 for an hour or so doesn't seem to push temps over 50, which works for me. I imagine it would be warmer in a smaller case, however. From what I can tell the cooling on the Black Edition is roughly equivalent to the SC2 with just less information available due to fewer sensors gauging temps on different parts of the card.

I'd love for this thing to drop below 500€. 4k@60fps sounds amaaaazing. It feels like PC components are approaching meme prices from the mid 2000s lately.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I got one. A big reason was that 4 GB was bottlenecking my 980. Now I can max nearly all settings and 4K downsample at high fps.

Got the Strix installed and running today. Gotta say I'm quite impressed with the card. Very reasonable noise levels and max temps below 70 (despite being in a heat-wave and ambient over 25C today).

Raptomex

I don't know if this was discussed but I thought I should share it. Installed my new 1080 ti on Saturday and much to my surprise the drivers are not compatible with Windows 10 LTSB. If there is a way to get it working right with it, I'm not sure. Ran out and bought Windows 10 Pro and it's been glorious since. I planned on switching to Pro at some point but I wish I knew this information ahead of time. My own fault, I suppose, for not doing my research but I didn't even think about it.

With the Strix running about $780 and getting a hybrid card will run you about $799. Why does anyone go air cooler vs a closed loop water cooling?

Closed loops aren't always better than air. It depends on case and configuration. So if you can make a better choice and save a couple of bucks, that's a no brainer. I say this as a man who spent 819 bucks on a 1080ti hybrid.

Branson

So I noticed the FTW3 EVGA card has 3 fans on it. Is that the one that's also having heat issues or is that card safe to buy? It's the only card available right now it looks like.

Bl@de

Haven't been following the thread so I apologize if this has been asked to death. Is there a general agreement to which version of the card is the "best"? Taking into account for performance, cooling and price.

Can't go wrong with the MSI Gaming X model. I have it (undervolted and slightly overclocked) and the card is fantastic. Fast and silent. No audible coilwhine. Reviews for the card are also very positive.

Can't go wrong with the MSI Gaming X model. I have it (undervolted and slightly overclocked) and the card is fantastic. Fast and silent. No audible coilwhine. Reviews for the card are also very positive.

For what it's worth, when you undervolt Pascal cards, you can actually overclock them higher than you normally should but they perform worse.

Video about it.

The Dude

So I noticed the FTW3 EVGA card has 3 fans on it. Is that the one that's also having heat issues or is that card safe to buy? It's the only card available right now it looks like.

I'd sign up with nowinstock and get alerts for a Strix, or an MSI Gaming X, even an Aorus perhaps... I wasn't impressed with the ftw3 at all as the Temps were pretty high for what these cards can actually do. But that's just me.

My FTW3 had heat issues (and therefore very loud fans). Switched to a Strix and everything has been much cooler and quieter since.

Branson

I'd sign up with nowinstock and get alerts for a Strix, or an MSI Gaming X, even an Aorus perhaps... I wasn't impressed with the ftw3 at all as the Temps were pretty high for what these cards can actually do. But that's just me.

My FTW3 had heat issues (and therefore very loud fans). Switched to a Strix and everything has been much cooler and quieter since.

Ok thanks I was a bit confused since they have a two fan and 3 fan version and I thought people were talking about the 2 fan version of the card. Strix was my goal but pc parts are scarce all of a sudden.

The Dude

Ok thanks I was a bit confused since they have a two fan and 3 fan version and I thought people were talking about the 2 fan version of the card. Strix was my goal but pc parts are scarce all of a sudden.

Amazon has orders for strix up but available June 25th

grendelrt

I got my SC black this week and it runs cool and not loud at all (playing TF2 uncapped at 144 I only hit 70C), pretty crazy that I keep reading the FTW is having so many issues.

There's apparently a cryptocurrency run going on although I cannot fathom why someone would buy a 1080 Ti to mine crypto.

I got my SC black this week and it runs cool and not loud at all (playing TF2 uncapped at 144 I only hit 70C), pretty crazy that I keep reading the FTW is having so many issues.

I actually went through 2 FTW3s before deciding to switch to the Strix. Both were the exact same. And in the same case, the Strix is a lot cooler. Makes sense given that it does have a much larger cooler attached. So yeah, either I was just unlucky with bad samples or in the same case, the Strix is going to be the cooler and quieter card. I also have pretty poor airflow (NZXT H440).

grendelrt

I actually went through 2 FTW3s before deciding to switch to the Strix. Both were the exact same. And in the same case, the Strix is a lot cooler. Makes sense given that it does have a much larger cooler attached. So yeah, either I was just unlucky with bad samples or in the same case, the Strix is going to be the cooler and quieter card. I also have pretty poor airflow (NZXT H440).

Oh I dont doubt you, you are not the first one I have seen saying that, which is why I am so surprised that the two fan cooler seems to be fine but the three fan aint cutting it.

bachikarn

I'm new to this stuff. Can someone give me a general rundown on the differences between all the different cards?

Are some better for overclocking? Or can they all overclock to the same, but its just that some cards have better built in cooling? Could I get a normal one, and later install a cooling solution to OC?

My god, even the 1080TI prices are affected by the GPU shortage? Are people really buying THESE cards for mining?

I'm new to this stuff. Can someone give me a general rundown on the differences between all the different cards?

Are some better for overclocking? Or can they all overclock to the same, but its just that some cards have better built in cooling? Could I get a normal one, and later install a cooling solution to OC?

Overclocking will not be a factor, as all pascal cards overclock to about the same limit whether on air or water. The difference is negligible.

So it's down to price, aesthetics, cooling, and noise. But you really can't go wrong.

rtcn63

Besides the reference and bare bones models, they all cool well enough, with noise, price, build quality, and things such as customer service/warranty/etc. bearing the meaningful differences. There are cards like the EVGA Kingpin which come with a slightly less conservative factory overclock and are designed/targeted primarily to meet the needs of extreme overclockers.

You can get a reference card and add something like an EVGA hybrid kit later, but it's not necessary for most use-cases, unless you just really want to learn how to install one. I'd just get an Asus Strix, MSI Gaming X, or EVGA SC2.

Flashed my EVGA FE (water-cooled) with the XOC BIOS which removes power limit. Finally, freedom!

So far have only had a chance to run Superposition 4k and haven't played with numbers/curve too much but from initial runs score went from 10055 to 10335. The 10335 was with core at 2088, memory at 6003 and 1.062V with max temp of 46C. Best score on stock clocks was 97-something.

Anyone who is hybrid/water cooled should give it a go. Save your original BIOS via GPU-Z first in case you need to flash back.

BIOS here https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21AJwt7bJPL03qgw0&cid=FABF1EAAEEBFA9D9&id=FABF1EAAEEBFA9D9%21154264&parId=FABF1EAAEEBFA9D9%21148675&action=locate

NVFlash here: https://www.techpowerup.com/download/nvidia-nvflash/

Flashed my EVGA FE (water-cooled) with the XOC BIOS which removes power limit. Finally, freedom!

So far have only had a chance to run Superposition 4k and haven't played with numbers/curve too much but from initial runs score went from 10055 to 10335. The 10335 was with core at 2088, memory at 6003 and 1.062V with max temp of 46C. Best score on stock clocks was 97-something.

This just makes me salty that my card only hits a max 1980mhz and thus don't feel the need to try and play with the bios. It was super fun on my Gigabyte G1s though.

longdi

Banned

Anyone who is hybrid/water cooled should give it a go. Save your original BIOS via GPU-Z first in case you need to flash back.

BIOS here https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21AJwt7bJPL03qgw0&cid=FABF1EAAEEBFA9D9&id=FABF1EAAEEBFA9D9%21154264&parId=FABF1EAAEEBFA9D9%21148675&action=locate

NVFlash here: https://www.techpowerup.com/download/nvidia-nvflash/
Interesting. What was your oc before using xoc bios?

While my FE, under hybrid cooler, can run games constant at 2025/6060, my supo scores are few tens shy of 10k, no matter how cold i run it.

Btw to get higher supo4k scores,i noticed i need to tweak the clocks in the 1~1.039v range, using the curve method. It seems the benchmark load forces my gpu to stay that level. Doesnt happen to 1080p extreme though, that one runs my core up to 2025 max often.

I think nvida may have coded the 1080ti clocks with ingame resolution.

Heard that xoc bios while good for max clocks and scores, it has higher in-game latency frametimes, as your gpu is constantly juggling its limits.

Hybris

This just makes me salty that my card only hits a max 1980mhz and thus don't feel the need to try and play with the bios. It was super fun on my Gigabyte G1s though.

Yeah mine only hits 2k mhz no matter what I do. Don't sweat it, it's such a small difference.

Gojeran

Still waiting to put my FE under water using evga hybrid kit. Where are you people finding them? Every time I check evga it's sold out and I never get any message about it being in stock despite being on auto notify.

Don't have to play with the BIOS but have you at least maxed the power limit and unlocked voltage? Not sure which card you have but Afterburner is generally best for any. You should definitely be able to go over 2Ghz even on air.

Interesting. What was your oc before using xoc bios?

While my FE, under hybrid cooler, can run games constant at 2025/6060, my supo scores are few tens shy of 10k, no matter how cold i run it.

Btw to get higher supo4k scores,i noticed i need to tweak the clocks in the 1~1.039v range, using the curve method. It seems the benchmark load forces my gpu to stay that level. Doesnt happen to 1080p extreme though, that one runs my core up to 2025 max often.

I think nvida may have coded the 1080ti clocks with ingame resolution.

Heard that xoc bios while good for max clocks and scores, it has higher in-game latency frametimes, as your gpu is constantly juggling its limits.

Yeah it has become clear that power limits are the primary restriction on these cards.

I'm hoping to hit 6100 on memory with a bit of tweaking but still haven't had a chance to play around. I actually hit 2102 on core but crashed in Firestrike, though I'm thinking it'll stick in games as it seemed to be fine in S4K (I escaped out of that run before it ended; can't recall why).

In any case, I think I'm going to leave this as my daily-driver BIOS.

Don't have to play with the BIOS but have you at least maxed the power limit and unlocked voltage? Not sure which card you have but Afterburner is generally best for any. You should definitely be able to go over 2Ghz even on air.

Of course. Maxed voltage and power, my card crashes at exactly 2Ghz. Drops down to around 1970ish after it heats up to 62 degrees and stays there.

Nice! I might get this one if it reviews well, still on a 980ti and triple screen gaming is a bit too much for that one for some games.

It's going to cost a good deal more than the others though with almost 0 performance benefits unless you're into extreme overclocking. The 980TI version did run pretty cool and quiet, but there are enough cards available already that would do that for you. So yeah, not sure what benefits there are unless you love to tinker with overclocks.

paskowitz

It's going to cost a good deal more than the others though with almost 0 performance benefits unless you're into extreme overclocking. The 980TI version did run pretty cool and quiet, but there are enough cards available already that would do that for you. So yeah, not sure what benefits there are unless you love to tinker with overclocks.

Preach it.

Spending over $800 on a 1080 Ti that isn't water cooled is a bad idea.

Top Bottom