• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti launch/review day - 2017/03/09

longdi

Banned
Great news. May try and go for this one instead of the Strix if I decide to sell me FE.
How about buy a evga hybrid kit and stick onto your FE? It got my FE running at constant 2050mhz as long as my core temps stayed below 55dc.

kuYuri

Upgraded to the MSI Gaming X today! Coming from a Strix 1080. I'm in the process of trying to obtain an ultrawide monitor, so it will be a few days before I can truly take advantage of it.

jambo

I got my MSI 1080 Ti Gaming X last week as well, built my new PC and I can't believe how I can just run every game at Ultra 2560x1600.

Haven't been able to do this in years.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Upgraded to the MSI Gaming X today! Coming from a Strix 1080. I'm in the process of trying to obtain an ultrawide monitor, so it will be a few days before I can truly take advantage of it.
You're in for a treat. Even on my 780ti, ultrawide is something special. Can't wait for my 1080ti so I can push max settings with solid frame rates.

etta

my hard graphic balls
How much bottleneck would there be if I dropped a 1080 Ti in my 2500K@4.4 and 16GB DDR3 1600 build?
5-10%?

Xyber

How much bottleneck would there be if I dropped a 1080 Ti in my 2500K@4.4 and 16GB DDR3 1600 build?
5-10%?

Like the video above show, it depends on the game but there can be huge gains in some games with a newer CPU (and faster RAM speed).

If you are playing at 120Hz, then you should upgrade that CPU as well as soon as you can. But for higher resolutions and 60Hz that CPU will still be okay, but will probably still bottleneck the performance a bit in some games.

I'm assuming you are planning on upgrading the CPU soon too though if you are willing to spend the money for a 1080Ti, because it is quite the mismatch of components. :p

etta

my hard graphic balls
Oh shit!
Like the video above show, it depends on the game but there can be huge gains in some games with a newer CPU (and faster RAM speed).

If you are playing at 120Hz, then you should upgrade that CPU as well as soon as you can. But for higher resolutions and 60Hz that CPU will still be okay, but will probably still bottleneck the performance a bit in some games.

I'm assuming you are planning on upgrading the CPU soon too though if you are willing to spend the money for a 1080Ti, because it is quite the mismatch of components. :p
Yea I want to upgrade everything right now, but Skylake X seems like a crappy upgrade (the 7800X seems like a 6 core 7700K), and I was thinking to do a Ryzen 1700 instead but I don’t really want AMD.
And the 10XX series is a year old now, just seems like such a shit time to do a new build. That’s why I’m looking at the 1080Ti, because it just released.

1080 Ti is only four months old but there's a pretty definite cadence that Nvidia have settled into and that's (x)80, (x)80Ti (x+1)80 (x+1)80Ti at pretty much nine month intevals at this point. GV100 has fit pretty well into an extrapolated cadence so fingers crossed to see 1180 in Q1 '18.

Mr Swine

Banned
1080 Ti is only four months old but there's a pretty definite cadence that Nvidia have settled into and that's (x)80, (x)80Ti (x+1)80 (x+1)80Ti at pretty much nine month intevals at this point. GV100 has fit pretty well into an extrapolated cadence so fingers crossed to see 1180 in Q1 '18.

Ugh, I want a 1180 now around winter. 1080Ti is too costly and the 1080 is a bit old and I don't want to buy one if the new one comes out soon

Fredrik

The EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Hybrid is up for s.... oh wait. Nevermind. It's sold out :p
Lol
No wonder the nvidia stock goes like a rocket right now, the thirst for the 1080ti in general is crazy and the well-performing ones especially.
Is this because of mining or gaming?

Pro

Finally after about 2 months of being in the Step-Up queue, I'm now approved for the 1080 Ti BE. Thinking ahead, is it best practice to uninstall all 1080 drivers first before popping the Ti in? Uninstall GeForce Experience? Or just pop-in the Ti and let Windows 10 auto-pilate take over? Would rather not go through GameStream setup and configs again.

Finally after about 2 months of being in the Step-Up queue, I'm now approved for the 1080 Ti BE. Thinking ahead, is it best practice to uninstall all 1080 drivers first before popping the Ti in? Uninstall GeForce Experience? Or just pop-in the Ti and let Windows 10 auto-pilate take over? Would rather not go through GameStream setup and configs again.
I've never gone through the effort of reinstalling drivers for things like that. Really don't think it's necessary. Some people will argue differently though. Those same people also wipe drivers before installing any new driver though.

Remove everything with DDU (https://www.wagnardsoft.com/), then install fresh drivers for 1080Ti.

Don't let Windows auto anything.
Why though? What's the downside?

I went from a 970 Gigabyte to a 1080ti EVGA. Just took the 970 out, put the 1080ti in. No problems.

Remove everything with DDU (https://www.wagnardsoft.com/), then install fresh drivers for 1080Ti.

Don't let Windows auto anything.

What is generally considered the most reliable brands? Right now I am close to hitting the buy button on EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2, as I heard a lot good about especially their customer service both from gaf and elsewhere. But is there any other models worth considering or recommended?

Also just to be perfectly sure, when something requires an 8 pin power connector, it is perfectly fine with one of those 6 but with 2 lose on hanging off the side right?

nnarum

What is generally considered the most reliable brands? Right now I am close to hitting the buy button on EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2, as I heard a lot good about especially their customer service both from gaf and elsewhere. But is there any other models worth considering or recommended?

Also just to be perfectly sure, when something requires an 8 pin power connector, it is perfectly fine with one of those 6 but with 2 lose on hanging off the side right?
Yes to both!

EVGA is solid with their customer service. I've only seen good things from them and about them. However I've heard the Asus Strix might be the top 1080ti based off cooling through air.

What are you worried about in particular? When it comes to the 1080Tis, you'll probably have no issues with an MSI, Asus, EVGA, or Gigabyte. They're all pretty damn good. And if you get it from Amazon, you'll can just do a cross-ship replacement if there are any problems.

Yes.

Thanks!

I'm not really worried, just want to be sure that the card, if there should be any problems, would be dealt with properly. Some tech companies can be truly horrible (and I'm in none Amazon territory... Or at least somewhere where it makes zero sense to use Amazon). The evga sounds reliable, quiet and fairly cool. So probably going for that then.

Just wanted to thank anyone in here who told me to get the strix 1080ti. Running beautiful and very cool. And also that "durr i cant tell the difference between 1080p and 4k" noise needs to be taken out the back and SHOT. Difference is huge. Unprecedented IQ. Love the card!

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Yes. It looks like the Strix is the best overall card based on so many reviews. Was thinking of selling mine but not anymore.

Well I just ordered the EVGA SC2 now. Strix does seems to slightly edge it out on the noise and cooling front, but considering how thirsty people are for the strix (not in stuck anywhere but places with insane prices around here), I decided to just go with SC2.

Does anyone have experience with the Zotac 1080 mini? This is my first pc build, so I'm not sure what to expect.

I'm pairing the 1080 mini with an i5 7600k and a 144/1440/g-sync monitor.

Does anyone have experience with the Zotac 1080 mini? This is my first pc build, so I'm not sure what to expect.

I'm pairing the 1080 mini with an i5 7600k and a 144/1440/g-sync monitor.

Though there are people coming off a 1080 in this thread, it's specifically for the 1080Ti, so I'd post this in the "Need a new PC" thread for a better chance at an answer, if you haven't already.

120v

is the Destiny 2 promo still ongoing? (not the beta. just the game)

been waffling back and forth on upgrading. this is probably what would tip me over the edge

Fredrik

is the Destiny 2 promo still ongoing? (not the beta. just the game)

been waffling back and forth on upgrading. this is probably what would tip me over the edge
For me it's just one thing that's still keeping me up on the fence at this point.

Volta!

I know playing the waiting game on PC is dumb, there is always something new just around the corner, but I just have a feeling that Volta will be an amazing upgrade.

But nah, enough waiting! I've pretty jumped in now anyway with all the reading reviews and impressions etc. I'll wait for Volta TI or 1180 TI for my next-next upgrade instead when I finally go 4K and upgrade the whole rig. I earned enough on the nvidia stock to buy the card from stock earnings too, and my cousin wants my 980ti so I'm lowering the price a bit that way too, no excuses left really, I've convinced myself just by writing this! Gah what am I doing!? *jumping in*

After many back and forth, I finally decided to click the buy button on an EVGA GTX 1080TI ICX Black Edition. I'll be happy if I can maintain anything above 2000mhz.

I'll be mostly gaming on my LG OLED B6 so 4K all in it is!

Let's hope my current 3770K build @ 4.7ghz will do just fine. Can't wait to try Dark Souls III @ 4K/60fps! I could do 4K30 on my GTX 1060 6GB, but 60 fps will be.....HNNNGNN

Fredrik

After many back and forth, I finally decided to click the buy button on an EVGA GTX 1080TI ICX Black Edition. I'll be happy if I can maintain anything above 2000mhz.

I'll be mostly gaming on my LG OLED B6 so 4K all in it is!

Let's hope my current 3770K build @ 4.7ghz will do just fine. Can't wait to try Dark Souls III @ 4K/60fps! I could do 4K30 on my GTX 1060 6GB, but 60 fps will be.....HNNNGNN
Is 4K60fps with Ultra settings within reach for the 1080ti on AAA games? I thought you needed a bit more, maybe SLI's, to hit 60fps on most games at that resolution.
I'm using 3x1080p screens, that's like 75% of 4K in pixels, and right now (980ti) I have to drop most stuff to high and lower some AA etc to get stable 60fps. It would be heavenly to hit 60fps at Ultra on something like Forza Horizon 3!

thundr51

Finally got to join the club last week and got the Aorus. Coming from a 980(not ti) its great. Biggest improvement was on Forza horizon 3, before could barely do 1440p and had plenty of tearing, now running at 4k downscaled to 1440p with no problem. Bought Arkham knight to do some tests but forgot I had a g-sync monitor, now getting 70+fps! Anybody know of any other games I can throw at this thing? I want to install gears 4 or Witcher 3, but already finished them.

Is 4K60fps with Ultra settings within reach for the 1080ti on AAA games? I thought you needed a bit more, maybe SLI's, to hit 60fps on most games at that resolution.
I'm using 3x1080p screens, that's like 75% of 4K in pixels, and right now (980ti) I have to drop most stuff to high and lower some AA etc to get stable 60fps. It would be heavenly to hit 60fps at Ultra on something like Forza Horizon 3!

Depends on the game. I'd say in more games than not, 4k/60fps at Ultra settings is doable.

Apparently this is perfectly doable, see Digital Foundry :D

Test has been run on Titan XP 2016, so pretty much on equal ground with the 1080 TI.

Finally got to join the club last week and got the Aorus. Coming from a 980(not ti) its great. Biggest improvement was on Forza horizon 3, before could barely do 1440p and had plenty of tearing, now running at 4k downscaled to 1440p with no problem. Bought Arkham knight to do some tests but forgot I had a g-sync monitor, now getting 70+fps! Anybody know of any other games I can throw at this thing? I want to install gears 4 or Witcher 3, but already finished them.

This is great to know! I just wish my 3770k will give me similar results! *thumbs up*

Fredrik

Depends on the game. I'd say in more games than not, 4k/60fps at Ultra settings is doable.
Cool! Can't wait to test it's limits!
I bought a MSI 1080 ti Ligtning Z today =) It's ginormous! Had to remove one hdd tray cage to plug it in. Really thick and heavy too!
0TlESoN.jpg

It took longer than I expected to get it to fit in the case so I haven't tried so many games yet. But Gears 4 is above 100fps at all times with everything at max, looks phenomenal! Rise of the Tomb Raider is close to my max at 144fps with everything at max! Looks sooo good! I got stuck playing that until 2:30 in the morning o_O
I only had one displayport cable so I couldn't test out triple screen gaming today. Will try Forza Horizon 3 tomorrow after getting the display cables! Fun times ahead! :D

Cool! Can't wait to test it's limits!
I bought a MSI 1080 ti Ligtning Z today =) It's ginormous! Had to remove one hdd tray cage to plug it in. Really thick and heavy too!

It took longer than I expected to get it to fit in the case so I haven't tried so many games yet. But Gears 4 is above 100fps at all times with everything at max, looks phenomenal! Rise of the Tomb Raider is close to my max at 144fps with everything at max! Looks sooo good! I got stuck playing that until 2:30 in the morning o_O
I only had one displayport cable so I couldn't test out triple screen gaming today. Will try Forza Horizon 3 tomorrow after getting the display cables! Fun times ahead! :D

Looks awesome dude, congrats!

Fredrik

Looks awesome dude, congrats!
Thanks! I'll never say it's worth the money but it's fun to get a nice upgrade :)

I ran into what seems to be a common bug, the MSI Gaming App with the premade factory clocking profiles won't start. As soon as the mouse cursor touch the icon it just disappears, seems like a crash without error message. After spending some time googling on the problem and testing about 10 different versions of the program I gave up. Someone in a similar situation got the response that they should just use Afterburner and make their own clocking profiles.
So that's what I did.
And a boost clock at 2000Mhz is no problem from what I've seen! :eek:
I ran 3DMark, Kombustor and a bunch of different games and it's 100% stable and the highest temp registered in Afterburner aftwards was 67C! And I've never done anything like this before. Pretty amazing really. I bet an experienced overclocker could crank this beast up a lot higher. I need to learn how to do this properly, currently it's all like rocket science to me lol

Edit: It's rocket science, as I said! Ignore everything I said about overclocking, turns out I hadn't applied the latest core clock changes, when I did it freezed within 10 seconds :p
Trying now with a more modest overclock.
Edit 2: This is so difficult to understand. Why are you just adding +50 Mhz or something like that instead of writing the actual total max number down?
Anyhow, after a long gaming session Afterburner reads 2012Mhz for the GPU clock right now, and 71C. I got stuck playing Rise of The Tomb Raider again. Such a nice looking game, skin and clothes shaders are magnificent. And the little animations when you turn around left right and she turns her head looking at the direction before turning her body is such a nice little detail. Can't wait for the next TR!

The fans have a weird thing going on. As soon as you go from just sitting at the desktop to a game or benchmarker the fans revs up *wooooossch' for 2 seconds and then they go down again and acts normally after that. I read in some review that it was like that on the review cards too. Really strange. This is just my personal opinion but the fan thing and the none-working program makes me think that MSI has some quality checking issues going on at the software side. I've seen threads about the MSI Gaming App issues going back to 2014 so it's not like they haven't had time to fix things. The hardware build quality seems awesome though, the Lightning Z is extremely sturdy and tight, metal everywhere, nothing except the fans can be moved. They just need to have the same quality on the software. This is the first graphics card I've experienced where the included software don't work.

JackDT

I impulse bought a 1080 Ti FTW3 after I got my Rift...

Now that I've done the research I see I should have gotten a Strix because it's quieter for only 30 or 40 more dollars. (I'm probably not going to overclock.)

But somehow I bought a NewEgg version that is 'replacement only' so I can't return it for a full refund. I could ebay the so-far unopened box for more than I bought it though...

Do I really want the Strix? Why do I get so OCD about this crap?

The EVGA does have the better warranty/customer service at least.

I impulse bought a 1080 Ti FTW3 after I got my Rift...

Now that I've done the research I see I should have gotten a Strix because it's quieter for only 30 or 40 more dollars. (I'm probably not going to overclock.)

But somehow I bought a NewEgg version that is 'replacement only' so I can't return it for a full refund. I could ebay the so-far unopened box for more than I bought it though...

Do I really want the Strix? Why do I get so OCD about this crap?

The EVGA does have the better warranty/customer service at least.

You're going to be wearing headphones with that Rift bro...

etta

my hard graphic balls
Welp, I got the Zotac 1080 Ti Amp... my 2500K better break a leg.
Anything I need to know, things to do when setting up? For my GTX 680 I just adjust the fan manually since it gets so hot, when I play anything I just set the fan speed to 75% otherwise it would blow up.
I hear these new generations have overclocking by temperature? Do they downclock automatically? I have to set “prefer maximum performance” in the control panel otherwise the 680 downclocks itself if the framerate is 60, which causes dips, which makes it upclock... it’s a fucking mess.

Fredrik

Still trying to get MSI Gaming App to work, been talking with the support but they haven't been able to fix it yet.

But now I just read that the Gaming App can mess up whatever automatic clocking the card already have (???) and it doesn't run well with Afterburner and pretty much overrides what you've been tweaking in Afterburner.

Maybe it's better to just ignore MSI Gaming App?

I'm a complete noob when it comes to overclocking, is it possible to set the card to the factory Lightning mode by using Afterburner?

I really just want to see what the card can do with factory overclocking. I don't trust myself to beat MSI with my 1 hour Afterburner experience. ;P

AXE

Yeah

Y70gZfc.jpg

Jumped from MSI 1070 Gaming X to Asus 1080ti Strix.

Is there a way to shut down the fracking LED lights? Also, what programs there are to OC this thing?

Haven't yet had time to push the card but it does sound a bit more noisier on a low strain actually. Altough its complitely silent when the fans shut down when theres nothing to cool for

Tommy DJ

Welp, I got the Zotac 1080 Ti Amp... my 2500K better break a leg.
Anything I need to know, things to do when setting up? For my GTX 680 I just adjust the fan manually since it gets so hot, when I play anything I just set the fan speed to 75% otherwise it would blow up.
I hear these new generations have overclocking by temperature? Do they downclock automatically? I have to set ”prefer maximum performance" in the control panel otherwise the 680 downclocks itself if the framerate is 60, which causes dips, which makes it upclock... it's a fucking mess.

Just a note: the Zotac 1080 Ti Amp is probably one of the worst GTX1080ti because the heatsink design is terrible. Refer to Gamers Nexus' review. Despite such a huge heatsink, it makes no contact with the VRMs which is an amazing oversight.

Besides that, no you don't have to set anything with any GTX1080ti. All you have to do is do a fresh driver install and it will have no problems handling itself.

The overclocking feature you've heard of is called GPU Boost 3.0. Its essentially self overclocking that will auto-adjust clock speed based on a whole host of variables, not only temperature. The problem you're having with your GTX680 doesn't sound relevant to this at all, it almost sounds like you have vync activated since you're locked at 60 FPS.

Top Bottom