• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD: PlayStation 5 has highest launch month for a hardware platform in U.S. history.

Rolla

Banned
Yep, I know they sold 1 million PS4 on launch day in North America, but I'm trying to figure out how Nintendo can say they were top seller this month with 1.35 million sales, and yet Sony is beating PS4 in terms of sales....

1/3 of the month already gone in sales and supply.

Xbox fans talking nonsense again, allocation is based on preorders, thats why uk had so many ps5 consoles then rest of eu, xbox is just not doing well, but what do u expect for 7 years of hardly any games.

Germany numbers are rumored to be bigger than the UK by a decent margin. Other parts of the EU is also up in terms of launch sales according to snippets of info available posted on the other site.

gow3isben

Higher selling price point console breaks dollars sold records. Who would have thought?

Ps5 also broke unit sales records briggz stop damage-controlling.

And why is it that only Xbox has crippling hardware supply issues and not PlayStation? I remember when Philip tweeted about Xbox’s biggest worldwide launch when, if you recall, they only had limited launches for prior xboxes. Philip the spinner at it again!

Also Xbox one had very poor word of mouth from the start and this is selling even worse. SAD!

Last edited:
It will work out far better if they had a strong console userbase.

If Sony did the same strategy they would absolutely dominate Gamepass's numbers because they are just far more popular. Not just because they have more console owners who would naturally sign up, but because people who don't own Playstations see the brand far more favorably these days.

Microsoft is the butt of many jokes because of their handling of the console business. Outside of RROD they were the opposite in the 360 generation, until Kinect rotted their brains.

MS is so far behind on everything against Sony if Sony felt like it they could adopt the same strategy and crush MS. Sony is far from "in trouble" as if the trend changes they can increase the presence of PS Now in their marketing and start throwing some games at it earlier and boom, see ya Gamepass. MS will gladly host their future more global streaming solution too.

As it stands, cloud gaming being popular is a pipe dream of tech execs.. and something Sony is rightfully weary about.. from experience.
I remeber when people said the same about cloud computing in general.

Elios83

It was a very vague tweet . They could mean biggest in terms of number of territory they r launching in and not units sold.

It a vague claim but it can be true due they having used 13 (XB1) vs 36 (Series) countries.

Xbox One lauched in few countries vs Series X launched in a lot of countries. Easy.

It's the usual MS marketing tactic.
No facts, vague messages that imply a big success story: "biggest launch ever", "best lineup ever" and so on.
Then reality comes out and it always tells a different story.
Selling less than Xbox One in the US (<900k)is a huge letdown, in UK they sold 150k units and the fact they have launched in many other countries where their sales are traditionally really poor (so they have probably shipped just 20-30k units for each of these countries) doesn't change the situation.
They definetly handled production scheduling terribly if they're having such severe shipments issues, too bad that this fact is emerging just now while their marketing wanted everyone to believe they were ready since December 2019 when they unveiled their design and Phil Spencer used the picture of their final AMD SOC as his twitter profile image for a good while.... Sony is facing severe shortages as well but they have been able to manufacture more PS5s than PS4s, it's demand that's insane.
Microsoft is definetly having shortages on the XSX (with these terrible shipments is not even that hard) but I'm not even sure the same can be said for Series S which you can already find in stores in Europe.
Let's see what happens in the next few months.

Waiting for the next flood of terrible excuses from xbox fanboys
zWDbheL.gif

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Xbox fans talking nonsense again, allocation is based on preorders, thats why uk had so many ps5 consoles then rest of eu, xbox is just not doing well, but what do u expect for 7 years of hardly any games.
BS. Some people haven't even had their preorders shipped yet.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Do you guys remember all the hate and concern trolling for Jim Ryan and the way Sony handled communication pre PS5?

It seems like Sony knew what they doing in the end and Jim won in the end.

Sony managed to design an exceptional APU (way cheaper and similarly performant as Xbox) all that while keeping a steady supply of games and readying an exceptional launch lineup and enough supply through a pandamic.

And we had multiple clowns here creating threads dissing Sony management and the way they handled the situation. Funny in retrospect. Funny in retrospect 🤣

But it wasn't just GAF clowns that said that. It was the number 1 thought that most video game podcasters and Youtubers were saying too! Most were saying that Sony was too quiet, Jim didn't know what direction to take Playstation, they could be scared of MS, etc. Keep in mind, many of them are now saying the same thing about Sony and PSVR2 and their VR situation in general.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Weird takes in this thread

Microsoft could have Chrono Trigger 2, Half Life 3, Bloodbourne 2, Witcher 4, and others exclusively and still have only sold as many consoles as they did.

People might ultimately be right about demand 6 months from now when supply catches up. But right now it seems like Microsoft just didn’t deliver enough units.

Evilms

Banned
Launch US :

• PlayStation 5 : 1.14 m ~ 1.35 m (November 2020)
  • PlayStation 4 : 1.14 m (November 2013)
  • Xbox One : 0.91 m (November 2013)
  • Switch : 0.906 m (March 2017)
  • Xbox Series X + S : < 0.91 m (November 2020)
  • Wii U : 0.43 m (November 2012)

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

Xbox series did lower than x1 which did lower than x360 in NA. Thats called a downward trend. But what matters is how they do in feburary 2021 and on wards when they get the supply sorted out and demand falls from the holiday rush

It's called you can't buy one anywhere since launch day

kyoji

Microsoft could have Chrono Trigger 2, Half Life 3, Bloodbourne 2, Witcher 4, and others exclusively and still have only sold as many consoles as they did.

People might ultimately be right about demand 6 months from now when supply catches up. But right now it seems like Microsoft just didn’t deliver enough units.
seems like sony didnt deliver enough units either 😬

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I remeber when people said the same about cloud computing in general.

So do I; I use cloud technologies extensively and am doing a cloud transformation / migration architecture right now. I still see a lot of aversion to the cloud from a lot of companies to this day.. plenty have only recently been convinced.

That's a totally different concept though; companies chase what other companies are doing successfully. So once cloud was proven a successful way to save/make more money, the "customers" (companies) came rolling in.

Cloud gaming currently has no real evidence of the kind of customer demand that the Microsoft's and Amazon's of the world want. Consumers are not like companies, there's no profit motive for them.. Not saying it won't happen, but there's a reason Sony isn't going all in right now. They bought a cloud gaming company and it was a massive financial flop for them.

There are plenty of technologies big tech thought would catch on that didn't as well.. so your statements imply a just as myopic of a view as those who denied cloud would take over for businesses.

Last edited:

Greggy

We should start looking at sales numbers when amazon stops saying "currently unavailable" on each of those consoles.
Even then I'm not sure what sales numbers really tell us in a context where one company is selling a platform and the other a single machine. Maybe comparing division revenue numbers would make more sense at this stage.

1/3 of the month already gone in sales and supply.

Germany numbers are rumored to be bigger than the UK by a decent margin. Other parts of the EU is also up in terms of launch sales according to snippets of info available posted on the other site.
You are absolutely right for 1/3 month being done. Expect to see PS5 numbers beat all in December in NA.

IntentionalPun

We should start looking at sales numbers when amazon stops saying "currently unavailable" on each of those consoles.
Even then I'm not sure what sales numbers really tell us in a context where one company is selling a platform and the other a single machine. Maybe comparing division revenue numbers would make more sense at this stage.
There likely isn't a single metric Sony doesn't crush MS on revenue wise.

They shipped more units, and seem to be replenishing those units faster than MS has.. the revenue from PS4 in the past few quarters has absolutely stomped all over Xbox as well.

Sony dominates in overall revenue, and even likely dominates the subscription revenue game, certainly are killing MS in profits in that area. While PSNow isn't as big as GamePass, PS+ is far larger than XBLG... and GamePass's actual revenue right now is questionable. There are loads of people who got GamePass for $1 for 2-3 years. They only count as XBLG revenue for now.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
So MS launched in waaaay more countries vs 2013, but didnt have enough units available this time.

Sony did similar, just Japan in IIRC. The pandemic didnt really affect Sony tho.

There's some story there, maybe we will get the truth about it all.

MS are not blindly shipping consoles without due diligence. Their obviously estimating how much consoles will sell through.

There is no evidence to suggest MS "just didn’t deliver enough units". For all we know they're just meeting demand. Xbox One was readily available soon after launch despite shipping more units in NA compared to today.

So do I; I use cloud technologies extensively and am doing a cloud transformation / migration architecture right now. I still see a lot of aversion to the cloud from a lot of companies to this day.. plenty have only recently been convinced.

That's a totally different concept though; companies chase what other companies are doing successfully. So once cloud was proven a successful way to save/make more money, the "customers" (companies) came rolling in.

Cloud gaming currently has no real evidence of the kind of customer demand that the Microsoft's and Amazon's of the world want. Consumers are not like companies, there's no profit motive for them.. Not saying it won't happen, but there's a reason Sony isn't going all in right now. They bought a cloud gaming company and it was a massive financial flop for them.

There are plenty of technologies big tech thought would catch on that didn't as well.. so your statements imply a just as myopic of a view as those who denied cloud would take over for businesses.
Sure, fair points.
We'll see in the next 5 to 10 years.
I just see it as the perfect fit for markets like India and Africa. The biggest mobile markets of the world in 2050

So about that MS PR about best Xbox launch ever without numbers......they did less than Xbox One in their main market and pretty much the same in their second market (UK).
PS5 broke records with actual receipts and it would be much higher with proper stock.
Well people were buying xbox 1 X thinking it was a series X. You would think MS would of learned something from Nintendo with the WiiU and "new" new nintendo 3ds for horrible naming schemes that confuse people are make people and the buy the old gen model, or think their gift recipient already owns it.

Thirty7ven

Banned
But it wasn't just GAF clowns that said that. It was the number 1 thought that most video game podcasters and Youtubers were saying too! Most were saying that Sony was too quiet, Jim didn't know what direction to take Playstation, they could be scared of MS, etc. Keep in mind, many of them are now saying the same thing about Sony and PSVR2 and their VR situation in general.

I watched a kinda funny podcast on YouTube, a couple of weeks before launch, and they were lowballing about PS5 and saying how there was a lot more hype for Xbox, and complaining about the marketing. These people are clueless and they were sucking MS’s dick essentially because MS was giving dick away.

Last edited:

Caio

Always has been.

Almost always, XBox 360 gave Sony some serious competition, and have dominated in NA, but yes we have to consider PS3 launched a year later and was much more expensive and harder to develop for. Sony really learned from their mistakes.

Seriously I was expecting a much more competitive XBox this new Gen, anyway it's early, hopefully it will show some muscles later on, we'll see.

IntentionalPun

Sure, fair points.
We'll see in the next 5 to 10 years.
I just see it as the perfect fit for markets like India and Africa. The biggest mobile markets of the world in 2050
For sure; it's totally possible it'll take off...but there's still a ton of questions on the table.

The scale at which people will adopt both cloud gaming and even "subscription service" gaming is a total unknown.

These companies have some target for the combination of number of customers and the price of the server side tech lowering. It's a bunch of companies that have money to burn to try things in case they take off so that they can be one of the first and get that market share.

And there's a bunch of catch 22's.. as it becomes cheaper to run a server for gaming, it will become even cheaper for devices to run those games natively. It already is a catch 22; the most popular mobile games are MOSTLY games that hardly would benefit the end user if they were hosted on a server. They download / install fairly fast and run just fine on literally 100s of millions of phones.

And let's face it that's exactly what they are targeting; they are all jealous that Apple has sat on their ass doing not much in the gaming space, but raking in more profits from gaming than traditional gaming companies.

Last edited:
PS5 is probably close to Switch numbers having the edge in revenue due the $499 model... the $399 model cost the same I believe.

And.

"The Series X|S debuted lower than XB1"

I called that months ago... with the MS marketing situation I couldn't see how they could sell more than XB1 in US.

You all forgetting that Sony launched PS5 in 10-12 countries with US getting biggest allocation whereas SX launched in 40 countries with limited allocation to each territory. Xbox one launched like PS5 is launching now that is in 13 or less countries with US getting biggest share.

Right now MS is selling every unit they are making, its getting instantly sold out everywhere. Real test for SX will be next year once launch hype is gone.. I think MS doing far better in multiple territories that they did with One. Series console sold better in Japan as well compared to One.

Im not damage controlling, just stating the facts. PS5 will continue to sell more this gen, no doubt but launch sales are affected in US by amount of allocation they did compared to One.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Now ask yourself why didn't they deliver enough units in America (their largest country by demand in the World).

Top Bottom