• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Circana (NPD) June 2023: #1 Diablo IV, #2 Final Fantasy XVI, #3 Street Fighter V; PS5 #1 Units + Revenue

GreyHand23

Its seems Diablo didn't do much for the Xbox sales since its primary a PC game as expected, despite the exclusive marketing.

I expect the same with Startfield since its primary a PC game as well.

Xbox needs a game to sell their consoles and I don't think they have anything coming for a long time, if ever.

Oh and those people who were "concerned" for Final Fantasy 16 sales can rest assured now that the game is selling well. Hehe.
Diablo sold very well on PlayStation. People just aren’t buying games on Xbox and why would they when game pass is the major push. When I talk to primarily Xbox players, they seem to believe that every major game will eventually be on game pass so there’s no reason to buy games.

Luigi Mario

This is especially big because the US is Xbox's strongest market. And they are losing market share there.
What often doesn't get mentioned is that the Xbox One was still holding its own against the PS4 during this time last gen in the US market.
I think they both sold around 200K in June 2016 but not entirely sure about it, maybe Luminoth-4545 Luminoth-4545 has monthly NPD numbers for 2016.

Last edited:

poodaddy

I got confused when I saw SF V in the title. Good for FFXVI, seems to bode well for more adult FF titles in the future. SFVI doing well is always great. Diablo IV is no real surprise.

MikeM

I like Playstation a lot, but this triggers me to no end. I'm going to have to buy a thrid DS controller due to analog drift and I have a suspicion that's one of the reasons they're selling so many.
Buying an Edge then? Replacing sticks is an easy swap
Despite what some Gaffers may think, Xbox is becoming irrelevant, even in their strongest markets.

Even Phil Spencer admitting it in that interview wasn't enough for some people to open their eyes.
It blows my mind they kick their own brand’s knees out by not putting out console exclusives.

Last edited:
The fun thing about the forums was the narrative and the importance given to the conferences, a month ago it seemed that PS5 was going to sink and Xbox would take off due to its showcase, it has already been seen that it was not, PS5 stronger than ever and Xbox going down again, the people on the street couldn't care less about those shows.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
The fun thing about the forums was the narrative and the importance given to the conferences, a month ago it seemed that PS5 was going to sink and Xbox would take off due to its showcase, it has already been seen that it was not, PS5 stronger than ever and Xbox going down again, the people on the street couldn't care less about those shows.
Showcases are overrated anyways. Yes, they provide great entertainment to us hardcore fans, but it's temporary.

At the end of the day, showcases are just hour-long commercials. If Sony releases an underwhelming commercial, it is not really going to change their short-term fortunes, especially if the next month has FF16 releasing exclusively on PS5 and Spider-Man 2 releasing 4 months after it.

It's always about games. And Sony freakin' delivers on that front, consistently.

What often doesn't get mentioned is that the Xbox One was still holding its own against the PS4 during this time last gen in the US market.
I think they both sold around 200K in June 2016 but I'm not entirely sure about it, maybe Luminoth-4545 Luminoth-4545 has monthly NPD numbers for 2016.

2016 NPD

Jan - PS4: 224K, XBO: 131K
Feb - PS4: 404K, XBO: 248K
Mar - PS4: 341K, XBO: 249K
Apr - PS4: 176K, XBO: 162K
May - PS4: 205K, XBO: 127K
Jun - PS4: 235K, XBO: 220K
Jul - PS4: 160K, XBO: 179K
Aug - PS4: 163K, XBO: 282K
Sep - PS4: 283K, XBO: 341K
Oct - PS4: 242K, XBO: 350K
Nov - PS4: 1100K, XBO: 996K
Dec - PS4: 1541K, XBO: 1489K

Total - PS4: 5.08M, XBO: 4.77M

PS4 won 8 months and XBO won 4 months in 2016.

XBO sold 94% of what PS4 sold in 2016

Last edited:
But the Starfield Direct and Sony's weak showcase was supposed to bring the momentum back to Xbox.

"Xbox is back!" they said

Time and time again, the narratives we see on forums and Twitter don't match what is happening in reality

Back here in June the narrative around Sony was doom and gloom meanwhile in the real world they were selling like hotcakes. Nobody gives a shit about showcases in the real world. People care about results and actually delivering games you promise and in that regard Sony is unmatched. That's why the PS5 continues to shatter records in the real world while people in forums and on Twitter cling on to out of touch and silly narratives.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Well it will be an interesting earnings report coming up for PlayStation it seems like. It's still crazy to me since I really don't keep up with the sales age like I used to 15 years ago but it's hard to really deny the momentum and the way Sony continues to manage its business in the gaming sector.

And it's just as equally surprising to see Microsoft as down even though I could also argue that I'm surprised to even sold as many uses they did. They have a cheaper alternative console which is very gimp but the price must talk to enough people knowing they are getting still an inferior experience but for the entry level price of around $300, I guess they don't know what's good for them. And have we ever had a ratio of sales between the series consoles? That would be fascinating to see.

The real telling part should tell you that sales and perception regardless of a good or bad showing really don't matter if the results and the proof isn't in the pudding. One good showing that they deserve credit for on the Microsoft then, that doesn't mean automatic success and all the problems are solved. Microsoft are heavily invested in so many other sectors and at this point even if they buy activision, let them just be a big software company because on the hardware end it just seems like they are flying by because they have the money to invest but aren't managing growth that you would expect. They have such a committed investment but our managing is so poorly that it makes you question why they're even in the console hardware business. It isn't some hot take from just recently, other than a short spell in the 360 days, they've been terribly behind. And the sales definitely correlate that when comparing it to their main rival and then Nintendo which is pretty much another sector in itself with the kid oriented switch.

Sales matter to me to see like when key software titles are coming out so to see these next couple of months where you have a giant bundle and potential price drop coming on one platform versus probably the only real important game Microsoft will have for a while, that will make it interesting in itself. I still will predict that it won't make much of a difference when you have the Juggernaut of Spider-Man and a better platform selling for potentially cheaper. It will just make for a more fascinating sales age for the coming months.

If you are into that kind of stuff and seeing where the market is currently going then we are all in for a pretty good treat given the heavy momentum on PlayStation. They've earned that.

If that little companion device works well, I may invest in one as well since the Steak Deck already covers my portable PC needs.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Also, for Xbox Series consoles to not be ahead of the Switch in revenue YTD makes me wonder about the actual sales ratio between Series S and X, could be higher than most people seem to think.
Yeah, I think it's safe to say the Series S is still doing the heavy lifting for Series sales. I barely see the XSX in stock at Amazon in the U.S..and it looks like the XSX is $10 off on Amazon in the US.

And yet Switch sold more in June than Xbox Series X + S combined.
Said it before, most looking at the PS5 vs Series consoles...don't forget the Switch vs Series S.

The Series S is in a wild spot with low demand issues vs the competition.

Oh my...

Last edited:

onQ123

2016 NPD

Jan - PS4: 224K, XBO: 131K
Feb - PS4: 404K, XBO: 248K
Mar - PS4: 341K, XBO: 249K
Apr - PS4: 176K, XBO: 162K
May - PS4: 205K, XBO: 127K
Jun - PS4: 235K, XBO: 220K
Jul - PS4: 160K, XBO: 179K
Aug - PS4: 163K, XBO: 282K
Sep - PS4: 283K, XBO: 341K
Oct - PS4: 242K, XBO: 350K
Nov - PS4: 1100K, XBO: 996K
Dec - PS4: 1541K, XBO: 1489K

Total - PS4: 5.08M, XBO: 4.77M

PS4 won 8 months and XBO won 4 months in 2016.

XBO sold 94% of what PS4 sold in 2016
PS4 can kiss that lead goodbye in the next few months Especially when Spiderman 2 hits

solidus12

It sold less units than the PS2+PS3+PSP did in June 2010 (487K) but more than the PS2+PS3+PSP did in June 2011 (406K).

Ser Davos Jon Snow GIF by BuzzFeed

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
No Kinect and no momentum which is all on the competition side, I don’t see how the hopeful believe this thing can reach 360 numbers.

Those last couple of tweets by Welfare are eye opening.

Unless MS has a warehouse full of XSX, I don't know what the Starfield month will look like. Agree with those saying Series consoles coming in 2nd is probably the best to hope for.

ByWatterson

Investor: Hey, how come you haven't released Gamepass numbers in 18 months?

MICROSOFT: Well, growth is limited because it's inextricably linked to console sales.

Investor: Okay, so, why don't you boost console sales?

MICROSOFT: All that matters is Gamepass.

Investor:

Tom Cruise What GIF

Last edited:

phant0m

Those last couple of tweets by Welfare are eye opening.

Unless MS has a warehouse full of XSX, I don't know what the Starfield month will look like. Agree with those saying Series consoles coming in 2nd is probably the best to hope for.
yeah switch got big boost from TOTK, which should subside by starfield's launch. still don't think XSX will surpass PS5 in Sept though.

Interfectum

MICROSOFT: Well, growth is limited because it's inextricably linked to console sales.

Investor:

Tom Cruise What GIF
MICROSOFT: I understand your frustration. It's been a complex situation. How about we offer you a free trial to Gamepass as a token of our appreciation?

StereoVsn

Investor:

Tom Cruise What GIF
I mean in reality Investors are chanting "AI". It's more of "What's an Xbox and why did MS blow cool $70 bil on it", lol.

yazenov

Welfware from IB provided some deeper insight on what this month's NDP results might mean for XBS and PS5 in the hotly contested US console market.

What's also crazy about these numbers is the context:

-The PS4 launch price is $399
-The PS5 launch price is $399 Digital Edition and $499 Disk Edition
PS5 outsells the PS4 launch align despite the higher price tag and the "stronger" competition. Outsells the PS4 in both units and dollar sales.

- The Xbox One launch price is $499
- The Xbox Series S / X launch prices are $299 and $499

Xbox Series sales are lower than the Xbox One in both units and dollars despite having the cheaper version of the console, Gamepass the "best value in gaming", and MS not shooting themselves in the foot with the Xbox One with its PR nightmare laughing stock of the industry.

Let's be honest here. MS is in a terrible situation, and they just increased the price of their consoles. It's not looking good for MS in the gaming sector.

Flabagast

What's also crazy about these numbers is the context:

-The PS4 launch price is $399
-The PS5 launch price is $399 Digital Edition and $499 Disk Edition
PS5 outsells the PS4 launch align despite the higher price tag and the "stronger" competition. Outsells the PS4 in both units and dollar sales.

- The Xbox One launch price is $499
- The Xbox Series S / X launch prices are $299 and $499

Xbox Series sales are lower than the Xbox One in both units and dollars despite having the cheaper version of the console, Gamepass the "best value in gaming", and MS not shooting themselves in the foot with the Xbox One with its PR nightmare laughing stock of the industry.

Let's be honest here. MS is in a terrible situation, and they just increased the price of their consoles. It's not looking good for MS in the gaming sector.
MS does not understand that nobody cares about TF, subscription models, retro and so on.

People want prestige games, and times and times again MS refuses to address that.

Last edited:

yazenov

MS does not unterstand that nobody cares about TF, subscription models, retro and so on.

People want prestige games, and times and times again MS refuses to address that.

Yeah, they made a series of (pun intended) mistakes with their lack of first-party titles, 2 different specs of consoles which are a development and logistic nightmare, and wanting to emulate the business model of TV aka the Netflix of gaming wannabe model.

They are just a bunch of suits pretending to be gamers. I'm looking at you Phil.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Yeah, they made a series of (pun intended) mistakes with their lack of first-party titles, 2 different specs of consoles which are a development and logistic nightmare, and wanting to emulate the business model of TV aka the Netflix of gaming wannabe model.

They are just a bunch of suits pretending to be gamers. I'm looking at you Phil.
Wait until Sony releases PS5 Pro, and if Xbox doesn't release an XSX Pro.

PS5 Pro will easily be the most powerful console in the market and most likely be priced at $499. It'll be a bloodbath that will last until the end of the generation.

And Xbox will have a hard time releasing an XSX Pro because then they will have 3 SKUs. As DF told, Microsoft said that their next-gen console was Series S (lol) and Series X was their mid-gen refresh. How stupid one has to be to launch a "mid-gen" refresh at the "start" of the generation.

yazenov

• Very impressive performance from PS5, FFXVI pushed hardware and a lot of new buyers picked up Spiderman which bodes well for October

You make a great point.

Some people are desperate to paint the narrative that FF16 underperformed despite Sqaure-Enix themselves saying the opposite. But the main objective of the 3rd party exclusive for the platform holder was to sell consoles and FF16 delivered on both fronts.

Woopah

You make a great point.

Some people are desperate to paint the narrative that FF16 underperformed despite Sqaure-Enix themselves saying the opposite. But the main objective of the 3rd party exclusive for the platform holder was to sell consoles and FF16 delivered on both fronts.
I think it definitely had the desired effect for Sony, especially combined with

The NPD thread on install base is such a shitshow. 90% of the comments are about FFXVI and 10% about the HW sales. XD
It's the most interesting game this month to discuss. You have games that clearly do well like Diablo IV and those that clearly didn't like Everybody 1 2 Switch. FFXVI is somewhere in the middle.

Elios83

But the Starfield Direct and Sony's weak showcase was supposed to bring the momentum back to Xbox.

"Xbox is back!" they said

Time and time again, the narratives we see on forums and Twitter don't match what is happening in reality

Back here in June the narrative around Sony was doom and gloom meanwhile in the real world they were selling like hotcakes. Nobody gives a shit about showcases in the real world. People care about results and actually delivering games you promise and in that regard Sony is unmatched. That's why the PS5 continues to shatter records in the real world while people in forums and on Twitter cling on to out of touch and silly narratives.

Never assume that circles of fans and the echo chambers they create online are representative of the real world.
They are just a fragment of the market, actually in the current era of social networks many of them are not even actual fans but paid influencers and shills.
In the real world people know which console offers more games and exclusives in general, which console just had FFXVI+Diablo4+SF6 released in a single month with Spiderman 2 coming up and they buy that console.

The biggest problem for Microsoft is not even the poor hardware sales (after all they consciously sacrificed those long ago with their business strategies) but the fact that the interest in subscriptions is generally declining as reported by NPD while spending is increasing around premium brands. Maybe it turns out that games cannot be effectively consumed like TV series and people want premium contents, they're not desperate to rent games.

I'm curious to see how many PS5s Sony has shipped last quarter when they announce their fiscal results on August 9th.

Laieon

Diablo sold very well on PlayStation. People just aren’t buying games on Xbox and why would they when game pass is the major push. When I talk to primarily Xbox players, they seem to believe that every major game will eventually be on game pass so there’s no reason to buy games.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who has no interest in Game Pass (too much of a choice results in me just not playing anything at all). I buy non-exclusives on Xbox because I trust the ecosystem they've built a lot more in that I assume my purchases will still be playable/downloadable in a decade or two, but I don't feel the same way about Sony's ecosystem yet (and DEFINITELY not Nintendo's - they're the only of the trinity that I'm still 100% physical on). I like how I'm still able to buy, play, and download games I bought back in the 360 days.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Never assume that circles of fans and the echo chambers they create online are representative of the real world.
They are just a fragment of the market, actually in the current era of social networks many of them are not even actual fans but paid influencers and shills.
In the real world people know which console offers more games and exclusives in general, which console just had FFXVI+Diablo4+SF6 released in a single month with Spiderman 2 coming up and they buy that console.

The biggest problem for Microsoft is not even the poor hardware sales (after all they consciously sacrificed those long ago with their business strategies) but the fact that the interest in subscriptions is generally declining as reported by NPD while spending is increasing around premium brands. Maybe it turns out that games cannot be effectively consumed like TV series and people want premium contents, they're not desperate to rent games.

I'm curious to see how many PS5s Sony has shipped last quarter when they announce their fiscal results on August 9th.
I am not one for the whole doom and gloom thing. But a world exists where Xbox install base is so underwhelming that third-party devs dont bother with simultaneous releases on it.

Eg. Say they make a game, it sells 6M in total. 4M is on PS5. 1M on PC and 1M on Xbox. And the Xbox version cost the most to make.... that starts to look really bad.

Top Bottom