• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD July 2020, Ghost of Tsushima #1, Call of Duty: MW #2, Paper Mario #3

I just wish GoT continues this trend for a very long time to become an all-around record breaker maybe even toppling GoW and others in all time sales. The game is just awesome and amazing. After finishing I started writing my own Haikus because it made my read all those great Haikus from Basho and Onitsura which are truly inspiring. It's really wonderful a game can do that.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
GOT IS THE GOAT!!!! I was not expecting this game at all, never followed the hype or development but it surprised me to my core. GOTY for sure and maybe even game of the generation for me with GOW, Bloodborne and BOTW.

Everyone on the fence should buy it now while it's HOT. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
This is a very good point. I don't have skin in the game, TLOU2 can do as well as it wants but we've seen from divisive entries like in TLJ, franchises get shafted subsequently with future releases.

Sales for TLoU2 were always gonna be high, the level of goodwill ND has is like Nintendo level.

There was a huge concerted marketing and (games media) push to ensure its success. But this game is also tremendously expensive and sales at least 10mil might get them to break even - I doubt it has legs after the sales in Jun/July to sustain a sizeable profit to what Sony expects

I'm sure they're full aware of the profit knowing they're still going to release the multiplayer at a later date.

Vawn

Banned
Ghost greatly exceeded my expectations - GOTY.

Paper Mario was a disappointment. It was a decent game, but I was super excited for it and it fell way short of the hopes I had it would return to the form of the original two games.

Q63Rjav.png

Saber

Gold Member
GoT is having more than deserve:lollipop_trophy:

Man, the game is gorgeous. And I'm not the type to keep picking games for their visuals...but praise the heavens for this quality of game. SP, you guys rock 🍻🥂🍸🍹🍾

Kenji Ramon

As I mentioned many times already, these sales were driven by the hype from the first game, but the player retention has shown it has one of the biggest drop offs for major Sony title this gen.

player retention has actually shown more than 50% of players who purchased the game have completed it. That’s very good. Also, you are starting the obvious about games dropping off slightly after launch, it’s common for story driven games like TLOU2 to drop off but expect the game to still sell massive numbers on PS4 and PS5.

iconmaster

Banned
Paper Mario Sticker Star 3 charting BLEHH!

Now i know we'll never get a Thousand Year Door style game.

Its physical sales doubled those of Thousand Year. The market just sent Nintendo a very strong message about the series. Paper Mario fans should adjust their expectations accordingly.

Dont forget that's excluding digital. Including digital it's entirely possible it would have been 2, or maybe even 1. This is pretty huge for a paper mario game.

Also this.

Reindeer

Because you said this....." but the drop off has been tremendous and the game has one of the lowest player retentions compared to other major Sony IPs this gen. "
The drop off has been tremendous compared to how it started off, one just has to look at how the player retention dropped massively compared to other Sony games. These are facts, you can ignore it if you want to. The overall numbers are still high due to early sales, but it's the biggest game Sony ever released and it's being comfortably outsold by a new Sony IP in the following month.

Last edited by a moderator:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The drop off has been tremendous compared to how it started off, one just has to look at how the player retention dropped massively compared to other Sony games. These are facts, you can ignore it if you want to. The overall numbers are still high due to early sales, but it's the biggest game Sony ever released and it's being comfortably outsold by a new Sony IP in the following month.

But doesn't the bolded speak more about how well GoT is doing? Rather than how bad TLOU2 is selling......

MrS

Banned
Ghost is phenomenal and deserves to sell more copies than The Witcher 3. It's that good. V. happy to see how well it performed. TLOU2 was a hard act to follow and Sony did it with ease. PS Studios are beasting rn.

Hezekiah

Banned
This is a very good point. I don't have skin in the game, TLOU2 can do as well as it wants but we've seen from divisive entries like in TLJ, franchises get shafted subsequently with future releases.

Sales for TLoU2 were always gonna be high, the level of goodwill ND has is like Nintendo level.

There was a huge concerted marketing and (games media) push to ensure its success. But this game is also tremendously expensive and sales at least 10mil might get them to break even - I doubt it has legs after the sales in Jun/July to sustain a sizeable profit to what Sony expects
10m sales to break even on a first-party game? Are you insane?

Reindeer

But doesn't the bolded speak more about how well GoT is doing? Rather than how bad TLOU2 is selling......
I'm not saying TLOU2 is selling badly, I'm just saying the numbers saw a fast decline for a game that was the biggest release Sony ever made. People would have laughed just few months back if someone told them that Ghost would be outselling TLOU2 in July NPD. TLOU2 numbers are still huge, but the game saw a massive decline after it sold well in June and first week in July, which is very damning imo for what was probably one of the biggest games of this year and this generation. I believe the word of mouth and negativity surrounding the game were among the main reasons why this decline occurred.

Last edited by a moderator:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I'm not saying TLOU2 is selling badly, I'm just saying the numbers saw a fast decline for a game that was the biggest release Sony ever made. People would have laughed just few months back if someone told them that Ghost would be outselling TLOU2 in July NPD. TLOU2 numbers are still huge, but the game saw a massive decline after it sold well in June and first week in July, which is very damning imo for what was probably one of the biggest games of this year and this generation.

I'm just shaking my head. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Did you just started following sales threads recently?

Anyone who has been a regular in NPD threads knew GoT would surpass TLOU 2 sales the following month.

God of War was beaten by State of Decay 2 during the second month. This means God of War sold just over 300K the following month and State of Decay doubled the sales total of GoW the following month.

People were surprised that State of Decay 2 would sell this well, but what's NOT surprising is that a new title could surpass it because second month sales are not nearly as big as the first for the majority of titles released.

Wait so he's saying The last of us 2 is already the third best-selling exclusive right not that it's selling behind them through the same time But that it's already sold more than everything else cumulatively? Can someone clarify that's the idea I need that clarified because if that's the truth it's beyond hysterical anyone is trying to spin it as some kind of failure.

thelastword

Banned
For those folk still spreading FUD about LOU2 sales.....Just read this list and observe the bolded....

Top 10 best-selling games of the last 12 months
  1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
  2. Madden NFL 20
  3. Star Wars: Jedi: Fallen Order
  4. NBA 2K20*
  5. Animal Crossing: New Horizons*
  6. The Last of Us: Part II
  7. FIFA 20
  8. Mario Kart 8: Deluxe*
  9. Pokémon: Sword*
  10. Luigi’s Mansion 3*

LOU2 has not even been out for two months and it's already number 6 in the best selling games in the last 12 months....Let that sink in for a minute...

MagnesG

Banned
For those folk still spreading FUD about LOU2 sales.....Just read this list and observe the bolded....

2. Madden NFL 20
  4. NBA 2K20*
  7. FIFA 20
  10. Luigi’s Mansion 3*

LOU2 has not even been out for two months and it's already number 6 in the best selling games in the last 12 months....Let that sink in for a minute...
US

Unknown?

2. Madden NFL 20
  4. NBA 2K20*
  7. FIFA 20
  10. Luigi’s Mansion 3*

Pretty impressive.

danstar

Neo Member
GoT sold 2.4 mil in its first 3 days and i doubt any sony first party game has sold 2.4 mil in their second month so this should not be a surprise to anyone.

Cynical_Aries

Gold Member
Personally, I only concern myself with the games that I spend my money on. Ghost of Tsushima is a great game, money well spent.

'TLOU 2 needs 10m sales to.....break even' !!!

Some of the nonsense this game provokes is mind-boggling. If the game sold 4m in 3 days, that means 4m sales @ full price. Do the maths of how much revenue this generated given Sony's cut for first party games. That's in 3 days.

It has been two months since then, and even though all sales are very front loaded, the money this game has made is huge. Whether you like it or not, try not to leave your brain at the door when discussing it.

thelastword

Banned
'TLOU 2 needs 10m sales to.....break even' !!!

Some of the nonsense this game provokes is mind-boggling. If the game sold 4m in 3 days, that means 4m sales @ full price. Do the maths of how much revenue this generated given Sony's cut for first party games. That's in 3 days.

It has been two months since then, and even though all sales are very front loaded, the money this game has made is huge. Whether you like it or not, try not to leave your brain at the door when discussing it.
Maybe they feel every game has a budget of 500 million.......

Gamernyc78

Banned
Tsushima is my GOTY so far, I think Cyberpunk might topple it, but I'm not sure if I am going to play that on PS4 or just wait for PS5 version. But Tsushima is my favourite Sony open world game this generation and also the best one on the system bar TW3. I platted it which I rarely do (I didn't even plat TW3 which is my fave game, granted its a much tougher plat). The next-gen loading and the overall feel of the game helped making it very smooth to do so.

I did also notice the TLOU2 drop off. July should've been its first full month on sale. Though it had almost 2 weeks in June. Personally I'd give TLOU2 an 83% and Tsushima a 90%. The press had it the other way around, but luckily it doesn't seem to impact sales that much. The game is making waves and especially the word of mouth is strong, Japanese developers are outspoken about it as well. TLOU2's word of mouth was worse.

Opinions and all lol Dropped Witcher 3 after skelige due to horrible combat and too much dialogue because it bored me to death, honestly wouldn't put it next to neither Ghost of T or Tlou. Finished both Tlou 2 and Ghost of T and wouldn't put neither one of them above the other, both 90 plus games for different reasons. Sjw, snow flake, pandering aside the production value, gameplay, combat, atmosphere, etc is second to none in Tlou 2 and yup I even enjoyed the revenge story, felt very visceral and real in the sense of desire for revenge.

This is why Sony is on top, investing in great campaign focused, high production value games ppl want to play.

10m sales to break even on a first-party game? Are you insane?
Do you remember that Square Enix was expecting Tomb Raider 2013 to sell around 5 - 6m copies not to break even per se, but achieve some level of profitability to justify continued expense? Somehow the 10 mil figure for TLOU2 given the staggering escalation of development costs since then, should not surprise anyone.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Do you remember that Square Enix was expecting Tomb Raider 2013 to sell around 5 - 6m copies not to break even per se, but achieve some level of profitability to justify continued expense? Somehow the 10 mil figure for TLOU2 given the staggering escalation of development costs since then, should not surprise anyone.

Sony gets to keep a much bigger slice of the revenue from TLoU 2 than Square-Enix does with their titles.

Top Bottom