• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now that it's over, who do you think won E3 2021?

Who won E3 2021?

• Total voters

arvfab

Banned
When the industry is holding an industry wide event for the fans, you have to show up. It's like not showing up to your friends birthday party when you know everyone else is gonna be there. People are going to wonder why you didnt show up. Do you not like him? Are you making a statement? Do you think you are above them?

I dont think it matters that ratchet came out this week. That has nothing to do with holding an yearly conference that they have held since 1994. They have been releasing games in summer forever and they still showed up every time. GT3 was a summer 2001 release. MGS4 was either June or July. TLOU, TLOU2, GoT. It means nothing when it comes to holding press conferences where they show people that the investment they have made and lets be honest, the console is an investment. We all know that this thing is not worth $500 at launch, but it will be by the end of the gen. But as part of that silent agreement, we assume that they would show up to these industry events and continue to sell us the future.

If they want to do things on their own. Fine. I am perfectly willing to wait a couple more weeks for their event.

I will use your analogy:
They GAVE you games (a gift for your friends party), the've shown something BEFORE E3 (inviting your friend for a drink because they won't make it to the party) and you don't know if you they are maybe organizing a surprise party.

Like last year, when they also skipped E3 and had an own event.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Take Two and there bold use of a Zoom Meeting where they lectured the audience about how much better people they are than you.

This is the kind of content I watch E3 for.

Sony because now that BOTW 2 is not coming in 2021 they can slot in some Horizon Forbidden West as a solid 2021 Fall title XD....

I would say XBOX/Nintendo were about equal maybe slight edge to XBOX if im being honest
Square I was initially pretty tough on but they would probably be next after.

Lol Sony fanboys are hilarious. Even when Sony don't attend E3 people proclaim they won.

Or people can't bare that they can't say that it wasnt Sony so have to say no one won.

Last edited:
Xbox won by a large margin, the fact that Nintendo didn't show off Metroid Prime 4 or Bayonetta 3 is really concerning. Capcom, Ubisoft and Square Enix was terrible

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
For me personally, easily Microsoft. Ubisoft was second. Everything else was meh or worse for me.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I will use your analogy:
They GAVE you games (a gift for your friends party), the've shown something BEFORE E3 (inviting your friend for a drink because they won't make it to the party) and you don't know if you they are maybe organizing a surprise party.

Like last year, when they also skipped E3 and had an own event.
lol I will buy that.

But no one likes surprise parties. Just tell me you will throw me a party two weeks from today and I will be ok. MS did that last year. THey announced a summer event after E3 was cancelled. It's just common courtesy to keep your fanbase in the loop especially since they knew Sony was holding a conference right around E3 time.

rapid32.5

xbox, only proves that MS scored with Bethesda since all third parties shows were abysmal and it's not gonna change in near future. 3rd parties don't take risks anymore as they used to., game budgets go up. we either see old games being remastered or dumb sequels that don't make sense.

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
In terms of overall presentation and content Microsoft had the better showing. Nintendo came a distant second and everyone else just judged behind.

Kamina

Golden Boy
They all sucked balls, but Nintendo and MS didnt do as bad as most oders.
Personal Highlights:
Metroid Dread
Elden Ring

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Xbox by default. They didnt treat E3 with disdain. They showed up and treated their audience with respect. I dont think they did a great job demo'ing their games. Too many trailers, not enough gameplay, but they were professional and had a decent lineup. Cant say that about anyone else.

Nintendo direct was also not bad by any means, but it's not for me. So Xbox wins imo.

Sony refusing to show up is straight up disrespectful to the gaming industry and their own fanbase. Not to mention the userbase that spent $500 buying their hard to find console. Half of us probably had to suck a dick just to get a hold of one, and they dont think we even deserve an E3 showing. If there werent rumors of a summer showcase in a couple of weeks, it wouldve been infuriating. That said, Horizon Forbidden West wouldve probably been my game of the show if it was shown this week. So there is that.

If I had to rank games.

5) Metroid Dread - It's 2D but it's from Nintendo. Lets face it, it will be fantastic.
4) Replaced - Amazing looking combat this is what 2D games should be.
3) Zelda BoTW 2 - only 1 minute trailer but the gameplay looked fresh and you could finally do something with those abilities.
2) Forza Horizon 5 - Insane Photorealistic next gen trackside detail. DriveClub on steroids. Amazing.
1) Avatar - Probably the only true next gen game we saw at E3 apart from the criminally short Starfield teaser. Absolutely jaw dropping scale.
My lol emoji is out of respect for your Sony "had to suck a dick comment" the rest of the post I also agree with.

Ms had a solid show and just needs some small tweaks to future shows and more gameplay and they will be absolutely god tier at delivering conferences.

Sony should have been here, just seems shitty as fuck passing it up.

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Xbox didn't bring down gaf...

Nintendid

FJIcpTQ.png

Fredrik

Xbox won, with a huge margin. More specifically, Gamepass subscribers won.

Just watched the Nintendo show and not even a new sidescrolling Metroid could save it, everything looked 10 years old, or more, I don’t understand the popularity of this hybrid strategy they’re going with, I think it’s awful.

yurinka

No Switch Pro and no big game announcements at Nintendo. Forza Horizon looking awesome as the best E3 game, they sold many GPs, no but all non-Forza 1st party announcements were CGs, no studio purchases, no MS Kojima game, and Halo even if didn't look bad, it didn't look awesome. No hyping big announcements from Square, Ubisoft, Capcom etc.

Sony wasn't at the E3 and will continue as the company with more green metacritic exclusives released since last E3 and with more announced to be released from now until the next E3. And even without going to E3 got 2nd party games from Kojima and the CoDBO guys. So they are the ones in the best postiion after E3, and if we don't count them because weren't at E3, then MS won it.

Last edited:

graywolf323

Overall, Xbox showed me the most things I'm interested in playing - and the fact that most of the stuff they showed was included in the subscription I already have was great.

Nintendo a close second.
I'm like this but flipped, Nintendo showed the most things I'm interested in playing and Xbox was a close second since the most of the stuff shown that did interest me is included in the subscription I already have

It's not Sonygaf they say.
It's a persecution complex they say.
First page= 5 answered Sony had the best E3.

You literally couldn't make this shit up. Lol
I don't see how your post disproves a persecution complex? so freaking what if 5 posts said Sony out of 50 posts on the first page?

Last edited:
Lol who the hell voted for Square. They must be really excited for Guardians of the Galaxy.

That was a weak-ass E3, but Nintendo won it simply by showing up with a few games people are actually interested in.

Yoboman

We haven't had Bandai Namco? Obviously it's just about Elden Ring for them but it was obviously the most exciting game of the show, hopefully we see more at their event

Of that list, Nintendo for me but it was pretty weak overall

Garani

Nintendo Conference was okay.

Xbox conference wins E3 since they have the most coming and honestly sold me on series x.

PlayStation doesn't win anything since they haven't had any event for whatever dumb reason, even on their own.
awkward pulp fiction GIF

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
We haven't had Bandai Namco? Obviously it's just about Elden Ring for them but it was obviously the most exciting game of the show, hopefully we see more at their event

Of that list, Nintendo for me but it was pretty weak overall
Namco show was confirmed to just have info on their new Dark Pictures Anthology game, House of Ashes

Damigos

Laugh all you want, but actually Sony won. E3 had another shitty year and Sony was right to avoid it.
From those that participated, Devolver Digital won

SJRB

Gold Member
Looking at my Steam Wishlist I guess indies won?

I added like 15 titles to my wishlist over the last couple of days.

Microsoft and Nintendo are tied for me. They both win because they actually showed games and didn't just fuck around with a bunch of stupid bullshit like all the others on that list did.

qiqiqiiq

Nintendo announced Advance Wars, a new Metroid Game, and Mario Party Superstars that's 3 games I'm interested in, at Microsoft conference only Psychonauts 2 and Halo multiplayer have my interest, and one of those is multiplatform.

Vagswarm

Definitely Microsoft. They have the kind of games I have the most interest in, and Halo's multiplayer was a nice surprise. Battlefield is the best looking game that was shown (not graphically).

KiteGr

I found this year's E3 quite weak.
I would say the popular choice would be Microsoft/Bethesda, but that doesn't say much.

For me it was Limited Run...

Camreezie

Worst E3 I've yet to see. Dont even think it will be back next time now. Nintendo was a little stronger than Microsoft imo

1.Nintendo
2. Xbox
3.Ubisoft
4. Square Enix
5. Capcom
6. Bandai Namco
7. Take Two

ZehDon

Gold Member
Microsoft were the only ones who brought an E3 show to E3. Everyone brought junk and scraps and tried to pretend they didn’t.
Fortunately, Microsoft’s show was actually pretty decent, their personal best in years. Everyone else… for shame.

clem84

Gold Member
Take Two isn't in the options? :messenger_pouting::messenger_pouting:

I voted Xbox. Nintendo's showing was good, but it was more or less what I expected. MS surprised me. There was so much cool stuff shown. Every game available through gamepass. I like where they're going.

Last edited:
Top Bottom