• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now that it's over, who do you think won E3 2021?

Who won E3 2021?

• Total voters

balt1kr1s

My heart says From Software.

My brain says Microsoft - despite me not ever owning any Xbox console, also Hades announced for all consoles was a nice touch.

Koei Tecmo. Porting Fatal Frame/Project Zero: Maiden of Blackwater? The closest thing we'll ever get to SH2?

YEAH BAAAAABYYYY!

You can take everything else and forget it because PSYCHOLOGICAL SURVIVAL HORROR IS OFFICIALLY BACK WHOOOOOOOOOOO!

Last edited:

NoviDon

Xbox because I believe its now a conundrum for many non Xbox fans to decide what console they want to buy first, or get their parents to buy them. they showed that they are now a first party force to be reckoned with, and combined with the value of Gamepass, cannot be overlooked. Even if all of their stuff was cgi besides halo, their list of games and franchises is very enticing. Haven't had an xbox since I got a 360 for christmas back in jr high because ps3 wasn't out yet, now i'm procrastinating should I get one. Also they had the best game of the whole conference imo (STALK 2) moneyhatted so very good strategic move by them.

Termite

Xbox by miles. They have four amazing games coming in 2021 that I'm excited for.
-Flight Sim
-Psychonauts 2
-Forza Horizon 5
-Halo Infinite

And I'm gonna add Age of Empires IV as it's a first party game on Game Pass, even though not on Xbox.

That's a dynamite lineup right there. Flight Sim is the reason I bought an XSX, but getting FH5 this year is a huge bonus, as that was probably #2 on my hype list.

Nintendo, on the other hand:
-Metroid Dread looked like more of the mediocre Samus Returns kind of game, not developed in-house
-Advance Wars' return was an overpriced remake with iffy art, possibly no online and a full $60 for a one-to-one GBA remake
-BotW 2 looked like more of the same, possibly uses a similar map to the first
-SMT V didn't look all that good / different / new

Nintendo was fine, they just didn't really hit with me. Not really looking forward to anything there yet. Xbox, on the other hand, has me circling my calendar for multiple games.

Last edited:

Zones

I have always found comparing third-party events with first-party ones to be very unfair.

Sony, MS, and Nintendo have the luxury of showcasing bunch of third party games (sometimes exclusive, but that’s irrelevant) aside from their first pary titles, whilst third-party companies are limited with only their own games (sometimes not even that, like Square Enix possibly leaving out Forspoken and FF16 from their show to Sony).

Fbh

Conference:

Mirosoft.
Lacked some more big announcements but they showed a lot of interesting looking games and did a great job at selling the value of Gamepass

Company:
From Software
Elden Ring looks amazing and it was easily the best thing shown over this past week.

Termite

I have always found comparing third-party events with first-party ones to be very unfair.

Sony, MS, and Nintendo have the luxury of showcasing bunch of third party games (sometimes exclusive, but that’s irrelevant) aside from their first pary titles, whilst third-party companies are limited with only their own games (sometimes not even that, like Square Enix possibly leaving out Forspoken and FF16 from their show to Sony).
I totally agree. You compare platform holders' shows with each other, and 3rd party publishers' shows with each other. Anything else is silly. So this year it was really just Xbox vs Nintendo in the first category, and then the rest in the other. I had Xbox beating Nintendo and everyone else pretty much getting a failing grade on the undercard, lol

Great Hair

Banned
Jeff Key Lee´s Summer Snore Festival, but only because of The Holy Grail. Can not wait to ride and explore the world, best every opponent or teabag-gank people online. So good!

Monty Python Movie GIF
monty python lol GIF

Gold: Microsoft Bethesda
Silver: Nintendo
Bronze: Devolver (Only because it was entertaining)
Gigantic turd: Take-Two (Was going to say Capcom but at least they announced something)

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Xbox wins in a vaccuum where there is no Sony. Nobody else even had a chance.

I think anybody who's being fair should compare Xbox's show to whatever major event Sony has in the near future. If they don't have a show until say...October, then there could be a debate on whether there is an advantage of Sony seeing that Xbox has laid it's hand already in the months past.

SilentUser

Microsoft and by far. Though I wasn't really a fan of their showing, the other shows were so abysmal that it made an easy win for Microsoft. Still, massive kudos to MS, they are really upping their game.

Lupingosei

Banned
Take Two

The deconstruction of the E3 during their segment was stunning and brave. Everybody can show games at a games show but using the platform to make a stand against the toxic fandom in gaming is fantastic.

A Deadly Adoption Applause GIF

TimFL

I don‘t get why GAF has this E3 Stockholm syndrome. It‘s the same every year: everyone shits the bed, some less than others.

MS conference was predictable and underwhelming but the one that had the least poo on the sheets.

Bartski

Gold Member
Bandai Namco won E3 as the publisher of FROM Software and the fact they're gonna show jack shit in an hour changes nothing.

Microsoft distant second.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Xbox by default. They didnt treat E3 with disdain. They showed up and treated their audience with respect. I dont think they did a great job demo'ing their games. Too many trailers, not enough gameplay, but they were professional and had a decent lineup. Cant say that about anyone else.

Nintendo direct was also not bad by any means, but it's not for me. So Xbox wins imo.

Sony refusing to show up is straight up disrespectful to the gaming industry and their own fanbase. Not to mention the userbase that spent $500 buying their hard to find console. Half of us probably had to suck a dick just to get a hold of one, and they dont think we even deserve an E3 showing. If there werent rumors of a summer showcase in a couple of weeks, it wouldve been infuriating. That said, Horizon Forbidden West wouldve probably been my game of the show if it was shown this week. So there is that.

If I had to rank games.

5) Metroid Dread - It's 2D but it's from Nintendo. Lets face it, it will be fantastic.
4) Replaced - Amazing looking combat this is what 2D games should be.
3) Zelda BoTW 2 - only 1 minute trailer but the gameplay looked fresh and you could finally do something with those abilities.
2) Forza Horizon 5 - Insane Photorealistic next gen trackside detail. DriveClub on steroids. Amazing.
1) Avatar - Probably the only true next gen game we saw at E3 apart from the criminally short Starfield teaser. Absolutely jaw dropping scale.

longdi

Banned
Xbox Gamepass of course.
What an aggressive show piece.

I started the Gamepass app on my PC, and lol i see FH5 and AoE4 and Psychonauts2 are there with release dates.
What A beast. 🤭 🤞

Haggard

Banned
Xbox, but not because they were particularly good but because everyone else was even worse
This E3 was utter shite.

Sony. Microsoft and Nintendo didn’t have bad conferences - just so so. I think Sony will have their own event in a couple of weeks and they can really capitalize on the other two not having amazing conferences.

arvfab

Banned
Sony refusing to show up is straight up disrespectful to the gaming industry and their own fanbase. Not to mention the userbase that spent $500 buying their hard to find console. Half of us probably had to suck a dick just to get a hold of one, and they dont think we even deserve an E3 showing. If there werent rumors of a summer showcase in a couple of weeks, it wouldve been infuriating. That said, Horizon Forbidden West wouldve probably been my game of the show if it was shown this week. So there is that.

I don't get you sometimes. Sony is disrespectful for not showing up at E3, the week after releasing it's 4th next-gen 1st party game, while the other company which released a 500$ console has yet to release any game for their users...
So you would have preferred if Sony would have hold on to their games in order to show up at E3?

And Horizon was shown a few days ago!
So is it or is it not your game of the show? What difference makes it, if they anticipated E3 by a few days?

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Nintendo Conference was okay.

Xbox conference wins E3 since they have the most coming and honestly sold me on series x.

PlayStation doesn't win anything since they haven't had any event for whatever dumb reason, even on their own.
It's coming. I think they needed a little more time so they showed Horizon Forbidden West

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I don't get you sometimes. Sony is disrespectful for not showing up at E3, the week after releasing it's 4th next-gen 1st party game, while the other company which released a 500$ console has yet to release any game for their users...
So you would have preferred if Sony would have hold on to their games in order to show up at E3?

And Horizon was shown a few days ago!
So is it or is it not your game of the show? What difference makes it, if they anticipated E3 by a few days?
When the industry is holding an industry wide event for the fans, you have to show up. It's like not showing up to your friends birthday party when you know everyone else is gonna be there. People are going to wonder why you didnt show up. Do you not like him? Are you making a statement? Do you think you are above them?

I dont think it matters that ratchet came out this week. That has nothing to do with holding an yearly conference that they have held since 1994. They have been releasing games in summer forever and they still showed up every time. GT3 was a summer 2001 release. MGS4 was either June or July. TLOU, TLOU2, GoT. It means nothing when it comes to holding press conferences where they show people that the investment they have made and lets be honest, the console is an investment. We all know that this thing is not worth $500 at launch, but it will be by the end of the gen. But as part of that silent agreement, we assume that they would show up to these industry events and continue to sell us the future.

If they want to do things on their own. Fine. I am perfectly willing to wait a couple more weeks for their event.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Xbox. But if Sony would've showed up at E3 with that Horizon Forbidden West demo, a God of War Ragnorak trailer, Final Fantasy XVI and Gran Turismo 7 trailers with some multiplats, they would've won

Now we wait for them to announce their show later this month or next month

killatopak

Gold Member
I did.

I got

Fatal Frame
SMTV
SRW 30
Diablo 2
AOE
Replaced
Starfield
Forza Horizon 4

Most importantly, CHAOS.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I don’t give a shit about a winner at E3 my whole life there’s been winners at E3 and most of the time it’s just a hype fest.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Microsoft smashed it to be fair, it just didn't have a monumental earth shattering announcement...but those come once a generation if you are lucky.

Its easy microsofts show this year. It's like here's 27 games that you can just download and play day one if you are a gamepass subscriber....let that sink in...its fucking nuts and they will be at 30 million subs or more by the time halo and forza horizon 5 launches. Crazy shit.

Last edited:

The Alien

Banned
I'd say XBox.

Thought more announcements were still oming this week tho.

For example, Microsoft has an extended showcase on Thursday (1pm eastern). Not expecting much from that (updates on smaller titles that didn't get a mention at the show)

Top Bottom