• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think we will get a post COVID AAA game this year?

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
So, in the last few years, a lot of games claiming to have been affected by the COVID pandemic, so we all saw games that either suffered big delays or simply cut down on the scope and what not.

However, the pandemic was already 4 years ago, although restrictions were only really lifted in 2021 onwards. Consigo some games can take 3 years or more to be made, I won't if we will start seeing games made after the pandemic this year. I mean, we know some games are still being affected , like GTA 6, but I wonder if there is any releasing this year that have not been.

I'm talking about AAA games here, so full price. Do you think any upcoming game for this year have been made after 2021? If yes, which one?

saintjules

Game dev cycles I've read on have come to either be 5-8 years (or more depending on the studio).

I would doubt any game that has started production post 2021 would make a debut this year. Technically the Pandemic was still strong in 2021.

To be more realistic, for AAA you're probably looking at the end of the generation (2027/2028) to see games that started development in 2021/2022 come out. And these would be true post COVID games imo.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Everyone accused you of having covid, Ghost of Tsushima, miles, etc. were released during the pandemic, one of the worst things to happen to humanity all because people wouldn’t wash their hands and now post covid ‘24, 25’ I have one word for you, yes. There will be AAA games, developers have to comply with deadlines almost every day. People are clamoring for good games again.

nial

Gold Member
I would say Death Stranding 2, but I don't think It fully applies.
Ribi Ribi
the rock conan obrien GIF by Team Coco

Last edited:

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Game dev cycles I've read on have come to either be 5-8 years (or more depending on the studio)
Yeah, but aren't those the ones that released after the pandemic? Disasters like duke nukem aside, there was any normal AAA game that took more than 5 years to make before the pandemic hit?

In 2035, gamers will still be using COVID-19 to justify why a game now takes 10 years to make.
“Guys, the COVID-19 Pandemic was ONLY 15 years ago, they are still trying to recover!”

Top Bottom