• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Not trying to start any shit here, but I need something explained to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catphish

I get that there are no politics allowed anymore here, and I'm ok with that. But there's something I'm not understanding. Help me out.

When Gorbachev died, his thread was locked within like 6 replies.

Queen Elizabeth II has died (RIP), and her thread is already 5 pages long.

Explain it to me like I'm the dope I am.

Sakura

I get that there are no politics allowed anymore here, and I'm ok with that. But there's something I'm not understanding. Help me out.

The Queen isn't a political figure. She is the monarch. She doesn't practice politics. She is also a much more important figure than Gorbachev.

Crayon

You should understand what a blow this is to many people here and around the world. Any political aspect is far in the backround. Or should be.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

The shitposting potential energy of one thread is much greater than the other. The likelihood of the other thread to get out of hand was too high.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
All the people grave dancing Liz are over on the other site.

Catphish

Because if era hates it so much, Gaf has to simp for it instead. Gaf exists to be contrarian. Also being chuds who stan for pieces of shit like that JK Rowling cunt.
mark ellis wtf GIF by Collider

winjer

Gold Member
Many Russians (sovoks) think that Gorbachev is evil, because he didn't send the troops to maintain the USSR by force.
Gorbachev did send troops to a couple of countries, to quell rebellions, commiting a few atrocities. So he is also a very contentious figure in some former USSR countries.
On most former USSR countries and western Europe and USA he is seen as the man that finally brought an end to the cold war. So he is viewed in a much more positive light.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Queen got in a lot of trouble because she hinted at going against Margret Thatcher. She's had to keep her mouth shut for nearly a century because she cant appear to take sides politically.

Thats what her dumb son, daughter in law, her grand son and his American wife cant fucking seem to understand. It's not about you, it's about the country. You cant have the monarchy choosing sides in the bathroom debate.

Last edited:
We should have let the GORBY thread stand, it was over modding which wouldn’t happen if I were a mod.
Forum moderation(specifically for GAF) takes an unprecedented amount of unbias to the point where I understandably wouldn't trust many regular users here with that position, especially those who are directly asking for said power.

What an absurd thread. Are you actually sane OP - surely you can see / SMELL the difference?!

Don't worry though bud we have an incoming object that will knock us off our perches mid January - so it's all good 😂

The Queen made it a duty to be apolitical, not publicly choosing sides in topics within the public discourse. Also she held little "actual" influence, as I understand it. Gorbachev as a topic is inherently political, I would think.

LordCBH

I’d say an old Soviet finslly biting the dust can get fairly political. But The Queen passing on shouldn’t get political at all IMO.

Discussing the death of a world leader is not inherently political.

To add to my argument further: Shinzo Abe had two threads, neither were locked.

And please, don't misunderstand me, I'm not angry or pointing fingers. I'm just trying to understand the ruleset.
That would've been a better comparison than the Queen thread. Try posting a thread about the Finnish PM partying video and see if it gets closed, we can do a case study lol.

FunkMiller

The Gorbachev thread was binned I’d imagine because the mods wanted to avoid giving the tankies a place to troll. Russia is a nasty basket case of a country right now, and we have the one main thread for their genocide in Ukraine.

The Queen was the head of state of a western democracy, and her death is a sad, and thankfully uncontroversial thing - to anyone who isn’t a child.

Because if era hates it so much, Gaf has to simp for it instead. Gaf exists to be contrarian. Also being chuds who stan for pieces of shit like that JK Rowling cunt.

No, it does not. What the fuck? We are that way by nature. They go against logic, more times than one. That's enough to consider those fuckers insane and anti-evolutionary.

chromhound

Because of the situation in Russia i guess. Could could into a mess easily. Queen is just an old lady and there's less chance for shit to hit the fan

HoodWinked

everything is political these days. but gorby is almost exclusively political. at least the queen has a lot of relevance in just mainstream culture.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Yep I agree with the op. It would have been interesting for us to discuss Gorbachev, since he was responsible for some radical reforms which culminated in the end of the USSR, and earning him the enmity of a lot of Russian deadbeats.

daveonezero

Banned

There is n free speech on a private platform.

Some opinions don’t matter.

Wrong think is not allowed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom