• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, I need advice - Bought FF16 and all it does is crash my PS5. What to do?

Goliath77

I had this exact same situation with plague tale requiem late last year. I opened the unit, cleaned it all, performed system wipes, different cables, hdmi settings etc. Im sorry to say that nothing worked. Sent it off to Sony and it was a defective power unit that was shutting down the console due to overheating. It was a launch ps5 that was 1 month out of warranty. It cost me about £180 for the repair. The only console I have had fail other than the 360. It took 5 weeks to get it back but when I recieved it they had replaced the unit with a brand new one so was worth it.

Might be worth contacting support as sounds like what I had.

Last edited:
I had this exact same situation with plague tale requiem late last year. I opened the unit, cleaned it all, performed system wipes, different cables, hdmi settings etc. Im sorry to say that nothing worked. Sent it off to Sony and it was a defective power unit that was shutting down the console due to overheating. It was a launch ps5 that was 1 month out of warranty. It cost me about £180 for the repair. The only console I have had fail other than the 360. It took 5 weeks to get it back but when I recieved it they had replaced the unit with a brand new one so was worth it.

Might be worth contacting support as sounds like what I had.
This was the kind of response I was hoping for. I'm sure I'm out of warranty. But it's good to know a price of what I'd be look at.

Yes, to be fair i was a bit annoyed at the price at 1st but the fact I got a brand new ps5 made it worthwhile for sure.

Good luck, hope you get it sorted
Yeah seems kinda like BS honestly. But I guess I'd rather have peace of mind for the future. I was RIGHT out of the tome before the updated PS5s went into circulation

Drizzlehell

Banned
Called playstation support and they said I couldn't get a refund bc I opened the digital game. I feel kind of ripped off.
And someone once told me that PS support refund policies aren't problematic... I feel ya OP, I had a few battles with those bitches a few times myself, it's complete bullshit and you're entitled to a refund within 14 days of your purchase and it's your consumer right that supersedes whatever bullshit ToS they throw at your face. I wouldn't give up so easily especially since you have solid grounds for it... that is unless you'll manage to get it working on your console. No idea what might be causing this, though. Mine worked just fine.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Yeah that's not normal at all. I'm gonna go with what many others said, and say that there's something funky going on with your console itself. It's a gamble on your part to wait and not get it repaired, etc.....or wait and see if it eventually starts getting worse and other games stop working. Out of warranty or not, i'd still pursue it with them. You may be surprised and they fix it for free anyways if its one of those rare scenarios that only some faulty systems have that they have documented internally.

And someone once told me that PS support refund policies aren't problematic... I feel ya OP, I had a few battles with those bitches a few times myself, it's complete bullshit and you're entitled to a refund within 14 days of your purchase and it's your consumer right that supersedes whatever bullshit ToS they throw at your face. I wouldn't give up so easily especially since you have solid grounds for it... that is unless you'll manage to get it working on your console. No idea what might be causing this, though. Mine worked just fine.
See, this is how I truly feel. But I doubt I'll get my way. They told me opening the game.. the DIGITAL game voided my refund. She later explained that this is so I don't play 20% of the game and change my mind. For one, I would still have that possibility if it was a physical game from a store. And for two, they could see that I had no progress at all. Not a single save was made. I literally can't even select performance or graphics mode before it crashes. Seems like a punishment for something I didn't do wrong (but not to bitch on the internet or anything..)

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Depending on your TV (and if you are using ARC or not...or even the port on your monitor) its possible that the handshaking could cause the PS5 to shut down.

If you can try another monitor I would do that.

If you cannot try another monitor, then force the PS5 to 1080p in settings and turn HDR from "auto" to "off".

Gamerguy84

r/consolerepair is a cool sub. Pros hang out their and can probably give you good advice. If it's memory failing you can only send it.

mrmustard

Banned
You could order a used PS5 from Amazon Warehouse and test if it works correctly or not.

But don't accidently send them back the wrong console even if Amazon would never notice or care about...

RyanEvans21

It happen to me but different software (COD: Cold War). I had to buy PS4 Version so i can play it on my PS5 (BC). Then One of the Game Update fixed it.

So let me preface - I've made a few comments here in certain threads with no real answer. But I'm just looking for advice.

The demo for FF16 crashed as soon as I got to the setting selection screen. Happened multiple times. Someone told me this happened to them with a demo and the final game worked fine.

Well, I bought FF16 and I still can't get past the settings screen before a crash. I have cleaned the ps5, rebuilt, reformatted, and deleted and re-download the game. I have not solved the issue and I see others on reddit with the same issue.

Called playstation support and they said I couldn't get a refund bc I opened the digital game. I feel kind of ripped off. What should I do next? Should I report my PS5 defective? I'm missing out on a good game and $70. If anyone has experienced something like this I'd love a tip.
I think your ps5 is defective, My ps5 from launch had this problem, it was under warranty and Sony replaced it, it happened with ps5 games only and specially those with raytracing.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
My launch ps5 started crashing games to a green screen and the console would flat out turn off completely. Happened on occasion the first few months and I assumed it was because software side of things were new and devs hadn’t had a good chance to learn the hardware. By month 7 or 8 it happened with every game. Ended up being the gpu and luckily they replaced the console under warranty. I don’t think your would be a hardware issue because you are getting a code, but it’s impossible to tell without more info. Are other games doing it? How often? Does your console seem hot after it happens?

I hate to say it, but if you aren’t even getting through the options section at the beginning of the game, it seems like something outside of the software.

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
Of course. I'm sure many have tried
They wouldn't. Warehousedealz are so inaccurate, they often don't even check the stuff. I bought like new items that were completely broken and parts were missing and i bought acceptable items that came brandnew and sealed. Once i bought a Ps4 that came with a PS2 controller.

You also often see faulty descriptions, because nobody gives a shit. I saw tvs with 'contains rests of coffee' or 'Stand has scratches. Stand is missing' and many more.

Last edited:

Antwix

I think I remember you posting in some thread and saw reply(s) that basically said "not for me. looks like a you problem". Just doing a quick google search and it ain't just you. The same thing happened with borderlands 3 with X1X if I recall.

GHG

They wouldn't. Warehousedealz are so inaccurate, they often don't even check the stuff. I bought like new items that were completely broken and parts were missing and i bought acceptable items that came brandnew and sealed. Once i bought a Ps4 that came with a PS2 controller.

You also often see faulty descriptions, because nobody gives a shit. I saw tvs with 'contains rests of coffee' or 'Stand has scratches. Stand is missing' and many more.

Consoles have serial numbers. You're playing with fire if you do this.

Really poor advice. OP ignore this man.

Last edited:
I think I remember you posting in some thread and saw reply(s) that basically said "not for me. looks like a you problem". Just doing a quick google search and it ain't just you. The same thing happened with borderlands 3 with X1X if I recall.
Thanks for saying this. That's why I felt I needed to try and make a thread. I wish I had other members that at least could say the same so I didn't feel so singled out. But that's the problem. The ones with this issue seem so few and far between that I'm worried it's not getting looked at by Square

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I mean, sure. I see how it could seem that way. But it seems so odd that it's only happened with ff16 AND the demo
Agree with this. That’s why I’m asking about other games…because I’m hard pressed to believe that if this happened to someone in the demo and they couldn’t get past the options screen, then why they would pay full price for the full game. Seems a little sketchy to me.

So did YOU play the demo and it happened to you? Or are you relying on Reddit reports about something similar that may or may not have happened to someone else during the demo?

Edit - please don’t think I’m calling you a liar…I believe you, but if we are anything alike and an issue with a game comes up, I dig and dig at the internet to hopefully find something to quell my concerns.

Last edited:
Agree with this. That’s why I’m asking about other games…because I’m hard pressed to believe that if this happened to someone in the demo and they couldn’t get past the options screen, then why they would pay full price for the full game. Seems a little sketchy to me.

So did YOU play the demo and it happened to you? Or are you relying on Reddit reports about something similar that may or may not have happened to someone else during the demo?

Edit - please don’t think I’m calling you a liar…I believe you, but if we are anything alike and an issue with a game comes up, I dig and dig at the internet to hopefully find something to quell my concerns.
Haha it's fine to have your doubts I suppose. I just don't know what I'd have to gain. But anyway, I had the issue with the demo so I posted on a fb playstation page to see if anyone else had the issue. One guy said he had the same issue with the Rachet and clank demo but when he got the full game it was fine. Well, FF16 got rave reviews and I got covid so I was like woo let's just go for it. I definitely did not expect to have the same issue as I did on the demo. I thought for sure it'd be a fluke. But here I am.

Poor decision making I guess but I also just placed too much value on that guy's comment about the full game working and it being an issue with the demo

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

Haha it's fine to have your doubts I suppose. I just don't know what I'd have to gain. But anyway, I had the issue with the demo so I posted on a fb playstation page to see if anyone else had the issue. One guy said he had the same issue with the Rachet and clank demo but when he got the full game it was fine. Well, FF16 got rave reviews and I got covid so I was like woo let's just go for it. I definitely did not expect to have the same issue as I did on the demo. I thought for sure it'd be a fluke. But here I am.

Poor decision making I guess but I also just placed too much value on that guy's comment about the full game working and it being an issue with the demo

Here ya go. Try this mode.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
There are more reports of this happening on reddit, so far it all points to it being an issue with launch editions of the ps5 (which has a different heatsink)
Uh Huh Sure GIF

cash_longfellow

Gold Member

That’s not poor decision making. Drinking a fifth of Jose Cuervo then trying to drive home from the bar is bad decision making lol. You are just a gamer hoping to play a game you want to play, that you bought lol. Idk, like I said in an earlier reply, I had hardware issues with my launch ps5, but yours doesn’t sound like that. Not sure what it would be, wouldn’t make much sense to be anything with the heat sink on the launch console like others are saying because that would cause widespread game issues, not just with FF. If it doesn’t happen on other games, and it happened to you on the demo and the full game at the same spot, it must be the software I suppose. Just strange that it’s not more widespread. There are definitely an abundance of launch consoles out there still, and definitely many of those bought FF16. I just hope you get it taken care of. FF16 is phenomenal, and hope you don’t have any hardware hiccups.

Last edited:
Hopefully nothing is wrong with your ps5.

I assume you've also emailed tech support on the devs site?

Push for refund or wait for patch.
I did yeah. No reply yet. I don't have much faith in notifying a company on those sites personally
Just strange that it’s not more widespread.
That's what I'm saying. It sucks to feel alone in the issue and that I can't play or have my money back (thus far). Hence, making this thread. I know there are others but it just seems so few that it's getting overlooked. I'm just frustrated and disappointed at this point

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I did yeah. No reply yet. I don't have much faith in notifying a company on those sites personally

That's what I'm saying. It sucks to feel alone in the issue and that I can't play or have my money back (thus far). Hence, making this thread. I know there are others but it just seems so few that it's getting overlooked. I'm just frustrated and disappointed at this point
I’m with you…it took a lot of discussion with PlayStation Support to get my console replaced back then. I agree with the other posts at this point to wait it out and don’t do anything with a chargeback, that’s never a good option with a company you want to continue in good graces with. I would hang tight and see if the issue becomes more widespread or patched with Squeenix. I’m guessing the second one will happen before anything. Also, if you have an account on the Square forums, you should post it over there as well. They aren’t the best at responding to issues as far as replies on the forums go, but they are good at moving bugs and issues through to the right people to get them taken care of. Good luck to you.

ReBurn

Gold Member
My advises were to sell the PS5 or to test it, the rest is your Interpretation.
So the part where you suggested they should buy one from Amazon and send the broken one back in its place was just our interpretation and not you advocating fraud?

mrmustard

Banned
So the part where you suggested they should buy one from Amazon and send the broken one back in its place was just our interpretation and not you advocating fraud?
Correct. I said 'don't accidently send them back the wrong console' and gave you a fun fact, because that seems to happen often. I have never done this and never will. Wanna hear another fun fact? If the desciription doesn't match the condition and you complain, you often get absurd discounts like a 35 Euro discount for the missing termal paste of a CPU or a 50 Euro discount for the missing batteries of a controller. I have done this, but never will if the description is correct..

Last edited:

Chechack

Your PS5 defective.

I have a lunch ps5,standing position,and never cleaned until now.

Already halfway thru the game,never encounter any problems.

But i do encounter problem with diablo 4 giving me frequent freeze for some reason.

Pantz

There are more reports of this happening on reddit, so far it all points to it being an issue with launch editions of the ps5 (which has a different heatsink)
I recently sold my launch PS5, just had a gut feeling that I needed to do so before it was too late. Planning to get a new one whenever they make some kind of big revision. Feels bad that I can't play 16 right now though.

mrmustard

Banned
I recently sold my launch PS5, just had a gut feeling that I needed to do so before it was too late. Planning to get a new one whenever they make some kind of big revision. Feels bad that I can't play 16 right now though.
I would also consider buying extended warranty or buying it from Amazon. In my experience Amazon helps you out for 2 years even though the manufactorer only gives you 1 year warranty like Sony or Nintendo.

Last edited:

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
It crashes during cutscenes. I beat the game after suffering like 5 crashes and 10 PS5 overheat warnings. I need only two trophies for platinum and I doubt my PS5 will survive NG+

Bernardougf

Gold Member
So let me preface - I've made a few comments here in certain threads with no real answer. But I'm just looking for advice.

The demo for FF16 crashed as soon as I got to the setting selection screen. Happened multiple times. Someone told me this happened to them with a demo and the final game worked fine.

Well, I bought FF16 and I still can't get past the settings screen before a crash. I have cleaned the ps5, rebuilt, reformatted, and deleted and re-download the game. I have not solved the issue and I see others on reddit with the same issue.

Called playstation support and they said I couldn't get a refund bc I opened the digital game. I feel kind of ripped off. What should I do next? Should I report my PS5 defective? I'm missing out on a good game and $70. If anyone has experienced something like this I'd love a tip.

The Ps5 is clearly not matching the game title with the content included on the game and therefore crashing.

Top Bottom