• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, I need advice - Bought FF16 and all it does is crash my PS5. What to do?

So let me preface - I've made a few comments here in certain threads with no real answer. But I'm just looking for advice.

The demo for FF16 crashed as soon as I got to the setting selection screen. Happened multiple times. Someone told me this happened to them with a demo and the final game worked fine.

Well, I bought FF16 and I still can't get past the settings screen before a crash. I have cleaned the ps5, rebuilt, reformatted, and deleted and re-download the game. I have not solved the issue and I see others on reddit with the same issue.

Called playstation support and they said I couldn't get a refund bc I opened the digital game. I feel kind of ripped off. What should I do next? Should I report my PS5 defective? I'm missing out on a good game and $70. If anyone has experienced something like this I'd love a tip.

So let me preface - I've made a few comments here in certain threads with no real answer. But I'm just looking for advice.

The demo for FF16 crashed as soon as I got to the setting selection screen. Happened multiple times. Someone told me this happened to them with a demo and the final game worked fine.

Well, I bought FF16 and I still can't get past the settings screen before a crash. I have cleaned the ps5, rebuilt, reformatted, and deleted and re-download the game. I have not solved the issue and I see others on reddit with the same issue.

Called playstation support and they said I couldn't get a refund bc I opened the digital game. I feel kind of ripped off. What should I do next? Should I report my PS5 defective? I'm missing out on a good game and $70. If anyone has experienced something like this I'd love a tip.
That sucks man. I’m guessing since it’s not just you experiencing the issue they’re working on a patch and you just have to wait a bit. If you really want that refund you could keep calling support but they are notoriously stingy, in the past they would give you one single lifetime refund “as a courtesy” or whatever, so if that’s still the case don’t blow that on a game you’re going to rebuy once it’s fixed.

Shifty1897

Yeah, there is nothing about FF16 at the OS / Software level that is different from any other digital game. This should happen to anything (new) you download. So try that.

If it does work on everything and you've done a factory reset, it's time to report the PS5 as defective.

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
I did not have any problems. So I have no idea of what went wrong in your case and can't really help, but sorry to hear that. If the demo does have the same problem maybe a future patch will solve this? Did you delete the demo?

xBlueStonex

As somebody who played the demo and final game for 20+ hours now, I can tell you my PS5 has never had a problem. You should definitely reach out to Sony for a system repair.

That being said, pretty cool that Microsoft allows refunds on digital purchases (within reason). Shame to see Sony not do the same.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Its doing you a favor... 😱

I would say if you want to spend time... reinstall.. if you have a full ssd delete some other games... if you are running off a second ssd.. don't.

Kusarigama

Try logging into a guest account/different account and starting the game.

Yeah, there is nothing about FF16 at the OS / Software level that is different from any other digital game. This should happen to anything (new) you download.
Well the error code I got was CE-108255-1. Playstation told me that meant an error in the game app itself.

Thing is I understand the idea of waiting for a patch, but I only see this being talked about on like small threads on reddit.

It bugs me alone to not be able to play but it makes me worried I have a defective PS and if I should request a new one.

Guilty_AI

Seems to be a common issue for this game with launch editions of the ps5, at least most reports i saw mentioned having the launch edition.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

You say you cleaned your PS5....define "cleaned".

Did you open it up and physically wipe off the fan blades and heat sink, removing any and all dust/debris? If not, I would try that first and if it's still crashing it may be an internal hardware issue that needs to be sent in for repair

Last edited:

Shifty1897

Well the error code I got was CE-108255-1. Playstation told me that meant an error in the game app itself.

Thing is I understand the idea of waiting for a patch, but I only see this being talked about on like small threads on reddit.

It bugs me alone to not be able to play but it makes me worried I have a defective PS and if I should request a new one.
Respectfully, of course playstation tech support is going to tell you it's the game and not your console. Doesn't mean it's true.
Download and play something graphically demanding. It can be a free demo. If the error happens, it's a hardware issue with your PS5, not the game.

Millions of people have bought this game and you're the only person I hear getting this issue with FF16. That tells me that it's not the game, and that it's not going to get patched into magically working. Good luck!

Respectfully, of course playstation tech support is going to tell you it's the game and not your console. Doesn't mean it's true.
Download and play something graphically demanding. It can be a free demo. If the error happens, it's a hardware issue with your PS5, not the game.

Millions of people have bought this game and you're the only person I hear getting this issue with FF16. That tells me that it's not the game, and that it's not going to get patched into magically working. Good luck!
I get where you're coming from. But I have at least seen several people on reddit with this same issue and error code. So I know it's not just me

Banned

play Fortnite in 60fps mode. that has RT lighting and reflections, should be a workout for the systen.

alternatively Doom Eternal in RT mode or similar stuff.

if none of these games trigger any issues then that's confusing lol.
but there were some games on PC in the past that suddenly showed issues with specific GPUs that had no issues in any other game.

Last edited:

Rodolink

wait a year and get it with more dlc and over a year of patches, it's always the same story with these big releases

Guilty_AI

But I dont think this is game's problem since I didn't experience any crash or PS5 overheat.
There are more reports of this happening on reddit, so far it all points to it being an issue with launch editions of the ps5 (which has a different heatsink)

Do you have any video or screenshots too? If you post that on social media and link it to PS support on twitter, they will take notice.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
There are more reports of this happening on reddit, so far it all points to it being an issue with launch editions of the ps5 (which has a different heatsink)
I have launch edition since I bought my PS5 day one and so far I didn't experience any overheating.

Edit: Also I didnt open up my PS5 to clean even once.

Last edited:
What console SKU do you have? Model? Not that there’s anything that we can do with that information. It’s just interesting to know.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Seems to be an issue with your PS5.

First:
  1. Do you get any error message when your console dies? If so, tell what it is.

You need to do a couple things to be certain of what's causing it:

1: Download another game and play it for a couple hours non stop to see if the game crashes.
2: If possible, replace the SSD of your console. Play FF16 and see if it crashes again. If the game crashes then it's not a memory or game issue.

If no other game crashes and replacing your SSD does not work, then it's a Square Enix/FF16 software issue.

CE-108255-1

Try any of these solutions: https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmanager/ce-108255-1.html

If none works and other games work normally then it's very likely a heat issue.

You could try replacing the metal liquid on your PS5 or finding a way to play somewhere really cold. Also open your PS5 and clean the dust as much as possible with a dust blower.

-----
If other game crashes besides FF16 then it's a hardware issue and you would need to replace your PS5.

Guilty_AI

Edit: Also I didnt open up my PS5 to clean even once.
9b9.jpg

A.Romero

Only the game crashes? Meaning it returns to the home screen?

I think people here posted a good few tips. It's a console issue most likely.

So you tried everything? Called CS again?
I called once and spent an hour on the phone. They told me I couldn't get a refund bc I had already opened the game app. Which I find dumb bc I couldn't even get past the first game screen.

They made me run though all the tech attempts and I still got the error. They said that they would escalate the claim and ifld have to wait 3-5 days to see if the team will approve my refund. I'm still waiting on an answer but I don't have much faith on that solution.

At this point I'm considering calling to see if my ps can get repaired or replaced. I got it Dec of 21 so I doubt I'm in warranty.

I called once and spent an hour on the phone. They told me I couldn't get a refund bc I had already opened the game app. Which I find dumb bc I couldn't even get past the first game screen.

They made me run though all the tech attempts and I still got the error. They said that they would escalate the claim and ifld have to wait 3-5 days to see if the team will approve my refund. I'm still waiting on an answer but I don't have much faith on that solution.

At this point I'm considering calling to see if my ps can get repaired or replaced. I got it Dec of 21 so I doubt I'm in warranty.
You'll get the refund. It's a pain in the ass, I know, but yeah just follow up with them.

Top Bottom