• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, I need advice - Bought FF16 and all it does is crash my PS5. What to do?

Neo_GAF

Banned
this is a sony experience.

had a similar experience 20 years ago with my ps2.
new controller out of the box. called sony to exchange it and they told me, i touched it hence there is no guarentee.
fuck sony.

vkbest

So let me preface - I've made a few comments here in certain threads with no real answer. But I'm just looking for advice.

The demo for FF16 crashed as soon as I got to the setting selection screen. Happened multiple times. Someone told me this happened to them with a demo and the final game worked fine.

Well, I bought FF16 and I still can't get past the settings screen before a crash. I have cleaned the ps5, rebuilt, reformatted, and deleted and re-download the game. I have not solved the issue and I see others on reddit with the same issue.

Called playstation support and they said I couldn't get a refund bc I opened the digital game. I feel kind of ripped off. What should I do next? Should I report my PS5 defective? I'm missing out on a good game and $70. If anyone has experienced something like this I'd love a tip.
Did you format the console? I mean delete everything, and reinstall the SO from a pen drive?

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
this is a sony experience.

had a similar experience 20 years ago with my ps2.
new controller out of the box. called sony to exchange it and they told me, i touched it hence there is no guarentee.
fuck sony.
every product has time limited warranty, touching and operating a device does not void it.

Seems to be a common issue for this game with launch editions of the ps5, at least most reports i saw mentioned having the launch edition.
OP bought it December 21, it is not a launch model.

Last edited:

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
Get a console they said. You don't have to tinker and mess around they said. Just hit start and play.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Afaik, if its december 21 2020, its still the same model from launch. Could also be a problem with SKUs from specific regions, or a fabrication problem, i don't know.
Get a console they said. You don't have to tinker and mess around they said. Just hit start and play.
I learned my lesson long ago that if you wanna use electronics, expect this kind of issues, pc, console, whatever. Its a russian roulette and sometimes you'll get the loaded chamber.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Afaik, if its december 21 2020, its still the same model from launch. Could also be a problem with SKUs from specific regions, or a fabrication problem, i don't know.
My understanding is OP meant Dez. 2021
At that time there were already revisited models

Last edited:

Mokus

Have you tried to reset the PS5 to factory settings? I had different issues on the PS3 years ago and it helped.

Rayderism

I assume you tried going into safe mode and deleting the cache and rebuilding the database? If the console itself is not defective, those can be "magic bullet" fixes for most issues.

Nocturno999

If you are having this issue with FF16 only, wait for a patch.
I assume PS5's are being overclocked to run this game and it's causing issues.

Last edited:

Neo_GAF

Banned
every product has time limited warranty, touching and operating a device does not void it.

i was ten years old and the sony customer service phone dude told once the packaging has been opened there is no guarantee. my parents did not help me so i spent my pocket money on some out of the box broken ps2 controller.
this still feels like a trauma, because i wasnt able to play ps2 for the whole summer holidays.

Kamina

Golden Boy
i was ten years old and the sony customer service phone dude told once the packaging has been opened there is no guarantee. my parents did not help me so i spent my pocket money on some out of the box broken ps2 controller.
this still feels like a trauma, because i wasnt able to play ps2 for the whole summer holidays.
If it was old then it’s understandable, and theoretically he is right that there is no guarantee because sony doesnt do such things. But new products always have warranty in most countries as it is a legal requirement.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
The Infectious Paradox The Infectious Paradox , have you opened the console to clean it yet? Also, you said the console was vertical. Try laying it horizontal for a bit and try it again. There was something I saw a while back where the liquid metal, when the console is vertical, wouldn't be contacting the entire APU properly. And if you haven't opened the console to clean it, do that.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Go buy a new PS5, put the old one in the box and return it
This doesn't work. Pretty much every retailer tracks the serial number associated with the transaction and if you try to return one with a different serial number they'll catch it and refuse the return.

You might be able to pull this over for an online auction, but in that scenario you run the risk of receiving someone else's broken unit from when they tried to buy a new one, put the old one in the box, and return it.

Well, guys, I at least got a solution. After reviewing my case Sony did refund me my money. I'm really happy about that, but it's bittersweet bc I'm missing out on this game and I worry about my consoles future performance..

But, this site was the most helpful in assisting me to brainstorm this issue. So thanks to all those of you that tried to give solutions

Last edited:

Gambit2483

Well, guys, I at least got a solution. After reviewing my case Sony did refund me my money. I'm really happy about that, but it's bittersweet bc I'm missing out on this game and I worry about my consoles future performance..

But, this site was the most helpful in assisting me to brainstorm this issue. So thanks to all those of you that tried to give solutions
q67BIQc.gif

twilo99

It crashes during cutscenes. I beat the game after suffering like 5 crashes and 10 PS5 overheat warnings. I need only two trophies for platinum and I doubt my PS5 will survive NG+

Careful with the overhear warnings, I saw some damaged units on Twitter.. no sure if it’s true but one of them looked melted

congrats!...

the wireless died on my first series s, which was under warranty & quickly replaced for zip. you got a defective console, & you had the bad luck of the defect happening outside of warranty, which's fucked up...

Goliath77

Glad its sorted, i would keep a very close eye. If it happens with any other game get that unit sent back asap. I still think its ur ps5. Glad you got a refund for sure though

damidu

if its not related to m2 drive or something, i would send the ps5 back.
will probably do it again on another game.

Glad its sorted, i would keep a very close eye. If it happens with any other game get that unit sent back asap. I still think its ur ps5. Glad you got a refund for sure though
Yeah I'm waiting for a call back. They made it to where I can't play the game anymore because of the refund. But hopefully I can still use the demo as an example of the issue

Top Bottom