• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nixxes Software joins Playstation Studios

Neofire

It's easy. If I were a PC gamer I'd be excited to get games that would normally otherwise be exclusive to consoles. If I owned a PS5 I'd still get the game. If I gamed on XBOX I could still play these games on a PC.

Everyone wins.

I don't pay attention to what Sony executives say. I look at games that are released and decide if I want to play them.
Lol weird statement of course I'm not only listening to what Sony is saying, I'm watching what they are doing and as a playstation owner from it's inception up until now with the ps5. I get everything native to the platform, that isn't a win that is a given.

Again you still have not shown me how this is a win for "everyone"

What you should have said it is a win for PC gamers, period. Nothing wrong with telling the truth only thing that is guaranteed is that now Digital Foundry will have more ammo to compare ps5 version to the pc version hyping up more division.

Dr Bass

Lol weird statement of course I'm not only listening to what Sony is saying, I'm watching what they are doing and as a playstation owner from it's inception up until now with the ps5. I get everything native to the platform, that isn't a win that is a given.

What you should have said it is a win for PC gamers, period. Nothing wrong with telling the truth only thing that is guaranteed is that now Digital Foundry will have more ammo to compare ps5 version to the pc version hyping up more division.
Why would it be hyping up more division? That's only true if you think playing video game version is a competition.

If someone watches The Godfather on BluRay and someone else watches it on 4k BluRay, they've experienced the same movie.

Bring more PS games to PC, it doesn't harm people who play on PS at all.

Sony: We're not in arms race to purchasing studios and don't throw money.

Also Sony: Announces a studio acquisition 2 days after another studio acquisition in same week.

On a serious note - Makes sense since they're obviously doing same or somewhat similar strategy to Xbox with PC releases. Whether their new games going to be on PC day 1 or not is another story.

Hopefully it works out for them, just give me Bloodborne on PC so I can finally see some NeoGaf plebs eat crow.
Anyone who takes these Sony executives seriously needs help and should be sent to rehab.

They flip flop and contradict themselves like every month lol.

They all businessmen and should not be taken seriously.

fart town usa

Gold Member

If I'm reading this right, you're upset that people on PC/XBOX might be able to play a game that would otherwise be exclusive to PS5?

So you just want certain games to be exclusive to PS5 full stop? If that's your issue then I can't relate and don't really have anything else to say. I don't see any reason in getting upset if a game releases on multiple platforms.

Fredrik

Holy crap this is BIG! Nixxes are amazing 👌

And kinda worrysome for PC gaming… Who will port multiplat games to PC now??

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Seems like a supporting team like XDEV for external studios but this one is more of an internal one. Could they make their own games though?

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
hercules rage GIF

This has to stop

KAL2006

Banned
Hmm Guerilla Games Dutch contact with Nixxon. Can it be that Larian is next.

Yes I do believe everyone who's Dutch knows eachother.

Neofire

If I'm reading this right, you're upset that people on PC/XBOX might be able to play a game that would otherwise be exclusive to PS5?

So you just want certain games to be exclusive to PS5 full stop? If that's your issue then I can't relate and don't really have anything else to say. I don't see any reason in getting upset if a game releases on multiple platforms.
What gave you impression that I'm "upset"? I have not and will not loose any sleep regardless of what Sony does but I will, however, point out the hypocrisy and double standard in your initial comment and this one.

And I don't recall you sliding into the MS acquisition of Zenimax and it's decision of making it's future titles exclusive but it's taboo when individuals want Sony to continue doing what has defined it's platforms for many years. 🤷🏿‍♂️

I suppose you don't have anything else to say and neither do I lol.

ZywyPL

Banned
thats a valid reason

People who want to game in their living room on their huge ass TV will buy a console regardless if the games are on PC or not. Maybe a tiny percent will decide to skip a console entirely, but those are the people who already play on multiple platforms, so nothing changes in the greater picture. If Sony loses even 10k consoles sold by porting their games to PC they won't even notice.

Last edited:
I get that it feels like there's a symmetry to make debate-club arguments easier here, but you're breaking it down from the perspective of fans.

You're right, I am. I even iterate on that several times in the post. Truthfully I have no issues with these acquisitions and understand why they are being done, for what likely purposes etc. The meat of that post was to look at the folks who used certain flawed talking points to villainize certain other gaming acquisitions within the past year, and see if they would keep a similar perspective if viewing other acquisitions that might fall into grounds of their talking points, or if they'd conveniently ignore that since it deals with a different platform.

It's a challenge to a certain slice of the fanbase and gaming community who are relatively well-knowing of these events as they follow them on enthusiast platforms, not a challenge or call-out to the companies making the acquisitions from a place of personal distaste or offence because, again, these acquisitions aren't doing anything truly unethical or illegal, and don't fill my pockets with cash, so it's kind of whatever to me.

Fans don't know all the facts. Nixxes has relationships with all kinds of companies, but unless they get credited in public on the package or in the co-developer field, fans don't get the info. It'd be like if Factor 5 had announced way back on Wii that it was working with Nintendo, and everybody went, "Holy shit, Rogue is coming!", and then we found out it was them porting Netflix Instant Streaming services. There are things the fans get to know, and then there are things the fans can't handle being told because it makes it harder to get an understanding when they check the wiki.

True, but the people I'm specifically talking about here do know enough of the facts, and have the means to research what they don't know. These are people on enthusiast websites and forums, or who spend lots of time on Twitter or certain Youtube channels talking about console news relatively in-depth. Some even work at gaming companies or have connections to the gaming industry.

In more than a few of those cases it's a matter of them choosing to be willingly ignorant either in knowing certain information, or publicly presenting their POV out of ignorance when privately they know that publicly displayed opinion doesn't hold much water.
You're also overstating Sony's messaging to fans on acquisitions. Maybe you can get from interviews that the purpose of their acquisitions is as a reward for fruitful relationships, and that is the nice part of it in public and is heartening for the companies involved, but the purpose of any acquisition is to grow business. Acquiring a technology studio helps grow business. The fact that this is a known technology studio by fans in the PC sector complicates the messaging (there are a lot of companies Sony could have acquired that could never have filled, like when MS acquired Beam and most fans didn't notice until it became Mixer and pushed against Twitch,) but the purpose of Sony acquiring Nixxes is being made really clear in all the messaging of it joining the Technology Services Group. It's not supposed to make fans happy, it's supposed to make Sony's TCS Group stronger for the PlayStation business.

Sony's direct messaging definitely does not play into the talking points I was bringing up, you are right about that. But they are also not shy to softly/subtly ride a certain type of messaging that's generated from certain parts of the fanbase or media if they perceive it as a benefit. We saw them do exactly this last year with the whole cross-gen chaos; they saw how gamers and the media were dragging Microsoft through the mud for openly stating their cross-gen plans, how it was a detriment to "true next-gen game design", etc.

Sony saw these things and played into them (as subtly as possible, mind) to their brand's benefit, refusing to acknowledge leaks of possible cross-gen 1P titles even as early as April/May of last year (the GT7 retail leak from a Spanish retailer that listed PS5 and PS4, yet at the PlayStation Experience event in June and later marketing trailers PS4 was not mentioned and one even said "PS5 Exclusive", despite us now knowing it's indeed coming to PS4 as well), and letting several of their games' initial reveals give the impression they would be PS5 exclusives, including Horizon Forbidden West and God of War Ragnarok.

You can't simply ignore that and then shift the entire onus on the fanbase and gamers as a whole. These companies can get a read on general/macro discourse in the gaming community and make adjustments. We obviously see it when they make genuinely stupid decisions and quickly have to course-correct (i.e Microsoft trying a 100% price increase on XBL Gold), but it can also manifest in more subtle ways, as mentioned above.

In general, that's your point, that business is business, and you're right about that.

However, acquiring a major publisher was a business-upheaving move on Microsoft's part, changing the dynamics of outlook at every other game IP holder, because now they're not just producing with the goal of growing their own business, they're shooting for visibility on the exchange market as their competition gets acquired to align with one of the major corporations' service businesses. Not everybody can get bought, of course, but look at the film/tv entertainment market, where if you're not inside the fold of a major streaming service, you are at a disadvantage right now. Much like Disney absorbing Fox, Microsoft's Zenimax deal is an event that shakes the trajectory of the business.

How is this fundamentally different from what Sony did back in the mid-1990s' when they purchased major 3P developers and locked in exclusivity contracts with them in ways Sega and Nintendo both never did and never even conceived to do, other than the size of the companies involved? Back then some of Sony's moves on that front could've been framed in the business-upheaval context to Sega, Nintendo, NEC, SNK, Atari etc. gamers as some Sony gamers are seeing the Zenimax/Bethesda one today...but it's all essentially the same thing.

They only SEEM like such drastic shakeups because in both cases the platforms holders are leveraging their resources to compete in a way that is otherwise 100% legal and ethical in terms of respecting the rights of peoples involved or affected. So if Sega/Nintendo etc. gamers who complained on Usenet threads in the mid '90s were wrong about Sony then, then Sony gamers complaining on places like here, ERA etc. today are wrong about Microsoft now. You don't get to selectively choose which practice is right or wrong simply on arbitrary things like the size of the acquisitions, or their histories or whatever, when the grounds of what constitute as monopolistic practices (which actual rampant consolidation lead to) don't even BEGIN to be approached with the type of deals Sony made then (and have made since) and Microsoft have made now with Zenimax (or could potentially make in the future with a similarly-sized acquisition).

It's a capitalist market, if you have the money and resources you'd be stupid to not leverage them to compete. It's not Microsoft's job to ensure companies like Sony can adjust to changing market circumstances, just like how it wasn't Sony's responsibility to ensure companies like Nintendo or Sega adopted to the market once Sony started to flex their financial and resource capital. Laws aren't being broken, people aren't having their rights infringed, aren't being violated/killed etc. as part of these deals or consequences of them. Companies aren't being ravaged by a hostile takeover, either.

So there's really nothing else to say on that front except for the people miffed about it (particularly those who are stubborn for fanboyish reasons of selfishness to placate online console warring), to suck it up and deal with it 🤷‍♂️

...It's also a mind-fuck for fans, as now they have to choose the right box if they want to get their Elder Scrolls and Dooms and maybe Sonices and Guilty Gearses. But that's only the tip of the iceberg, or the chiseled chunk of the uncut gem if you prefer. (I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing ultimately if an arms war really does break out, I have personal feelings but that's just me, I do know that the gaming biz will be different after it, and gaming fans will be affected in some way.)

Well, I understand that aspect of it and how it can be mentally frustrating for some gamers, particularly the ones who just want to play these games somewhere where they've been playing them, and don't get into misguided conversations online about the nature of acquisitions in ways that seem like console warring.

But again, it's not like platforms haven't lost access to games before. Should we go back in time and champion the Nintendo gamers who lost out on Final Fantasy, Suikoden, Dragon Quest etc. when those games went PlayStation-exclusive? Should we champion Xbox gamers who lost out on SFV when that went PlayStation-exclusive (console wise)? As long as multiple consoles exist gamers will ALWAYS have to pick and choose on what games they may or may not lose out on, based on what console(s) they get.

It's been that way since the days of the 2600 and it won't end until Trip Hawkins gets his wish and we have a one-console industry...if that ever happens, mind you.

(*Also, agree with you in honoring to the PC fans who raised the profile of Nixxes by recognizing quality work, it's a shame for them that the company is taken off the table as a porting studio for 3rd Parties if you care for their potential work beyond the Sony products your platform might be getting.)

Yeah, it sucks for them for sure, but again just like other gamers they will just have to adjust to things as they are now. IMO if someone's a genuine fan of a developer's content or a certain franchise, they won't suddenly stop playing those games just because they aren't on the platform they used to be on. They tend to follow where the games go, especially when enough of them transition from one platform to another.

In Nixxes' case it's not quite the same because they haven't actually made their own games, and I don't think PC gamers are suddenly going to stop buying their ports just because they won't likely be doing ports to PC for companies outside of Sony; they're still getting ports of games and those ports are still being done by Nixxes, so if the games themselves are appealing, PC gamers will buy them.

This is probably an acquisition to have an in house port team. Saves money in the long term to own one than to. outsource every time. As development gets more expensive and everyone else is expanding beyond the console of course is seeing the loss of money in keeping their games on one platform only. I wouldn't be surprised if 2022 they start announcing their games day one to PC as well. Probably will start With Horizon II coming to PC much sooner than their other ports.

Numenorean

Excelent. Anything that brings more money to Sony and in retribution we can get jewels games like the influx of 1st party studios have been delivering the last 10 years.

SLB1904

Banned
People who want to game in their living room on their huge ass TV will buy a console regardless if the games are on PC or not. Maybe a tiny percent will decide to skip a console entirely, but those are the people who already play on multiple platforms, so nothing changes in the greater picture. If Sony loses even 10k consoles sold by porting their games to PC they won't even notice.
how that counter my point?

Eliciel

I don't know what a lot of people are talking about, but this is one of the smartest acquisitions when it comes to moving over more dedicated to PC and having capabilities to succeed with it on a AAA Scale

Reactions: GHG
This surprised me although it does actually make sense now I've thought about it. Their ports of games, even on console seemed to alays run better than they did on the original console. I'd more than happy if they were given the opportunity of producing PS5 patches for games like Bloodborne, The Last Guardian and Horizon: Zero Dawn.

Hmm Guerilla Games Dutch contact with Nixxon. Can it be that Larian is next.

Yes I do believe everyone who's Dutch knows eachother.
Well, Larian is Belgian, not Dutch, and Dutch people don't like being confused with Belgians or Germans...

The only other "big" studio is Triumph Studios, but they have been acquired by Paradox Interactive.

CamHostage

How is this fundamentally different from what Sony did back in the mid-1990s' when they purchased major 3P developers and locked in exclusivity contracts with them in ways Sega and Nintendo both never did and never even conceived to do, other than the size of the companies involved? Back then some of Sony's moves on that front could've been framed in the business-upheaval context to Sega, Nintendo, NEC, SNK, Atari etc. gamers as some Sony gamers are seeing the Zenimax/Bethesda one today...but it's all essentially the same thing.

It was a business upheaval.

Sony entering the market changed the gaming business completely, and the moves they made had repercussions forevermore for the future of the business. Ultimately, a PlayStation fan or a general gamer would probably look back and see their actions as a positive, because it all "worked out for the best" (for most companies; Nintendo really had a lot to figure out when that happened, and SEGA was basically never the same afterwards,) and there was a lot of fun to be had with the products if you were a consumer, and the industry grew healthier because of if this major player taking things to a new level. Whichever company you side with as a fan (if you have to pick sides,) Sony and then Microsoft entering the business have led to a more vibrant business.

We don't really know where this Arms Race will be going yet, though, and if we look at the nearest neighbor, there's some real and probably irrevocable downsides if consolidation is the future. (But also, some great wins, too, and for consumers, prices for access to entertainment has never been lower.)

To be Chicken Little running around screaming, "The sky is falling, the sky is falling!" is naïve. Maybe the sky will fall, and underneath it, a bright, beautiful new sky even better than before. But analysis is fair game, I don't think it makes sense either to just write what's going on as "more of the same."

In Nixxes' case it's not quite the same because they haven't actually made their own games, and I don't think PC gamers are suddenly going to stop buying their ports just because they won't likely be doing ports to PC for companies outside of Sony...

Well, heck, they're a rare breed, but for the few out there who check the fine print on game port announcements and go, "Yay, Nixxes! Uh-oh, Virtuos, cross my fingers...", I pour one out for you today.

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
If it's true that they helped work on Killzone Shadowfall then I can see them work as a support team as well and not just a PC port team. Especially for Guerilla Games as they are rumoured to have 2 teams and 2 games in development one which is Horizon the other in unknown.

I remember NIXXES did a talk a few years back on what I they called "co-development" in which they talk about developing games along side the original developer but for a different platform. I'm hoping that they'll be able to be used for the PS4 versions of games while the other studio specialises on the PS5, because of their history in doing this sort of work and because of their wonderful technical understanding we'll hopefully see both the PS4 and PS5 versions of games benefitting from their expertise.

yurinka

Have you seen that BluePoint have put "self-funded, independent studio" on their Twitter page - was that there before? And do you reckon it's Sony trying to cover their tracks (like why bother)?
Bluepoint has been funded with Sony money since many years ago. So if Sony bought them, it means self funded now. And until they close que acquisition will continue being an independent studio. So that sentence is compatible with them being acquired by Sony, no lies detected.

How

How is bifurcating the Sony 1st party titles a win for "everyone"? 👀 Not mention games on PC are cheaper and the contradicting statement from Sony that 1st party games are best on playstation.....

I think your perception of the phrase "win for everyone" is a bit warped lol.
Sony gamedev studios now will be able to focus on making PS5 games, and only in the PS5 version versions for crossgen games. Something that will benefit PS5 users.

Sony gamedev studios now won't need to waste resources or efforts on releasing PS5 patches/PS5 versions/PC ports of old PS4 games, or PS4 version of crossgen games because Nixxes now will be able to handle them. They are also experienced and talented porters, so Nixxes' ports pretty likely will be better than the ones made by Sony's gamedev studios, something that will benefit PS4 and PC users.

Last edited:

MaDBrute

Banned
Buying a porting studio is kinda weird.

"Nope, you cannot port anyone else's games no more."

Why not to just pay them to get whatever is needed?

MS/Nintendo would be shivering now that they won't have option to get their games ported by Nixxes.
Might be a technology purchase, they got software Sony needs/wants

Brigandier

Very good business move from Sony, It's not always about acquiring the enormous behemoths that make you better even smaller studios like Nixxes can make a difference.

MaDBrute

Banned
So, there's a few ways to look at this one.

Obviously, the most apparent is this is (likely) a move by Sony to foster even more porting of PlayStation titles to PC, and I don't think that simply means PS4 games. I've been under the impression now that at least all non-story driven, multiplayer-centric 1P games will be Day-and-Date between PS5 and PC, starting with TLOU2: Factions, and these kind of acquisitions further support that idea. Those are the kind of games that benefit most from having the largest possible playerbase from jump, which means more revenue, which means more profit. Getting those Day-and-Date between console and PC also keeps the online userbase even in terms of content and skillsets, which are critical to ensure a healthy community.

While Nixxes also provides some tech support and assistance with game design and whatnot, honestly that's not the main reason Sony acquired them, because their 1P studios already support each other and they have their ICE teams which further do such, and they seem to do a good job at it. What they don't have is a team specialized in handling PC ports of big games, and that's where a studio like Nixxes comes into the picture.

However there are some other ways to look at this, because from a messaging POV this acquisition kind of flies in the face of what Ryan & Hulst have been saying for a while. Or maybe better to say, what a "certain segment" of the fanbase have been insisting for a while when it comes to the nature of Sony's acquisitions. The main talking points they've been using are that Sony does acquisitions of companies that have "essentially" exclusively done work for Sony in the past anyway, and have a strong history of developing games for their platforms.

Nixxes fits neither of those.

Yes, they've done a lot of ports to PlayStation platforms over the years, but they've also done a ton for other platforms. In fact, if you check their wiki, most of their work has been with Microsoft platforms, either Windows or Xbox consoles. So if we were to go by majority to insist an association, that would seemingly favor Microsoft here. One of the other talking points used by a certain segment of the fanbase have been that these acquisitions should primarily be justified via how "organic" they are. This implies the working relationship history between the company buying and the one being bought, and generally has assumed quantity when used as a talking point. But again, you can check the wiki listings and see that for those who cling to that talking point, it doesn't work for them in this instance if they wish to use it as a means of justifying this acquisition over some other type of acquisitions.

Additionally, Nixxes hasn't really "developed" any games of their own, as they have handled ports throughout their history. This makes them similar to Bluepoint, with the differentiation being that Bluepoint has also done remakes of games, particularly recently like with Demons Souls. Given there's a strong likelihood Sony are also (or have already) acquired Bluepoint, it just lends further credence to the idea that Nixxes' acquisition is focused mainly on PS ports to PC, although it doesn't rule out them developing an original title in the near future. But the reason I bring all of this up is because for a "certain slice" of the fanbase/gaming community, they have essentially centered their idea on Sony's acquisitions targeting developers; even under the label of studios, the focus has seemingly been around developers, which implies they create their own games. At least so far, that isn't the case for Nixxes.

Really though, out of those two it's the first main point which draws up some other implications. Now, this is just me speaking to the folks who have tried framing certain acquisitions as being "bad" out of emotive or badly placed ethical arguments, or try saying certain other acquisitions are "bad" because they are consolidating a market or taking options away from players. Now I ask those same people...where's that same energy? Because if you want to look at it from a point of bad faith and pessimism, does not Sony acquiring Nixxes result in consolidation of the porting side of the gaming market, locking away a studio who's usually handled ports for many other developers to now only handling ports for Sony's developers? Does that not remove an option for other developers who'd like a company to port out to platforms like PC? What about PC players who preferred Nixxes handling ports of non-Sony 3P titles to PC, does this not now remove an option for them?

For Microsoft, does this not now remove an option for them WRT ports to PC (as you can tell I'm being somewhat facetious here because we know they handle these ports themselves now, but I'm just showing how STUPID many of these "ethical"/emotive/market consolidation arguments have ALWAYS been)? I though removal of options for other companies and gamers that used to enjoy them was considered "anti-consumer", "monopolistic", even "illegal"? I mean, weren't we constantly told these things only maybe nine months ago? Or are these segments of the community still going to cling to arbitrary things like the size of the studio, or if they're a publisher or not, as if these arbitrary elements suddenly determine if options are being shifted around/removed, or determine how "organic" an acquisition is?

So yeah, I'm not holding back anymore with those particular folks if they continue to make frankly ignorant statements on these things that boil down (for them) to defending or attacking a plastic box, even if that means any amount of goalpost-shifting, double standards, hypocrisies you name it. As I've said before, I personally have no issue with these acquisitions, regardless who's doing them, so long as human/civil rights aren't being violated or they aren't hostile takeovers. Because as long as those things aren't involved, it's usually likely that the parties involved are 100% consenting to each other's terms, have considered their best interests and those of employees who would be affected, and are doing everything by the book legally-speaking. And that's really all that should truly matter to those of us on the outside of these happenings.

It's a good thing Sony's acquired Housemarque, Nixxes and (most likely) Bluepoint. It's a good thing Microsoft's acquired Zenimax/Bethesda, Ninja Theory, Obsidian etc. I don't root for acquisitions, but I'm not gonna drag my feet through the ground kicking & screaming against them out of factors that just don't factor much at all, either. And, I'm not going to be a hypocrite and conjure up BS reasons why "this" acquisition is totally fine, but fearmonger if this "other" acquisition is happening, etc. Because I'm an adult, and understand (decently enough) how these sort of business deals happen, why they happen and so forth.

It would be nice if some other folks across the internet could be a bit more mature about this stuff. Maybe now they'll start.
They could port ps4 to ps5 too, offer assistance to 3rd party/ small indie teams.

Top Bottom