• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh 2 |OT| Yippee-Ki-Yokai (or Die HARD)

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Wow, have you guys tried the elemental Yokai abilities? It puts status effects on the enemy and charges your blade and costs very little anima. Its devastating.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Would folks recommend jumping in on Nioh 2 or starting with the original?
2 might be slightly easier. It has more options for summoning help at bosses as well. It's also a prequel.

Basically, you can start with either one. But if you intend to play online a lot, then get 2 now while people are playing it. Otherwise, it doesn't matter.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The differences in optimal play-style are quite different between the two games. Nioh 2 is balanced around its new Yokai skill mechanics and if you don't lean on them in the early going you're going to have a hard time.

Nioh on the other hand was a bit less technical, basically "git-gud" and learn the various skills and tools to survive, pop Living Weapon on bosses or when you need a sudden spike of damage.

The original requires learning less stuff, but is pretty ruthless if you don't "get" what its trying to teach. Hino Enma (2nd proper boss) basically finished a good percentage of players!

Team Ninja has announced three expansions, and new content already available

Nioh 2 has received its first big update, bringing with it a robust Photo Mode and additional missions as Team Ninja prepares its three DLC expansions for later this year.

The update, which you can download now, includes a Photo Mode with all the bells and whistles you'd expect.

Nioh 2 has three expansions in the works, with the first launching on July 30. Titled The Tengu's Disciple, this first expansion will take you to Yashima--a place which has seen numerous wars in the past.

Team Ninja says that each expansion will present players with new stories, yokai, weapons, skills, and, of course, bosses to defeat. The new content will also usher in additional difficulty modes and end-game content that Team Ninja hopes will give players incentive to continue playing after seeing Nioh 2's new content.

I was waiting for this game to release on PC...but I am starting to get ansty. I gotta hold out...gotta hold out...

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member

Team Ninja has announced three expansions, and new content already available

I was waiting for this game to release on PC...but I am starting to get ansty. I gotta hold out...gotta hold out...
Best game I've played all year. Already bought the season pass.

Last edited:
I kinda feel Nioh 2 for some reason is easier than the 1st or maybe it's cause I have more tools at my disposal in the sequel. Also the burst counter yokai forms make a lot of things redundant, but also fun. I like it more than the first game.

WingedEagle

Neo Member
I'm through the first couple maps and thus far don't find it nearly as hard as anything Soulsborne, but its still a ton of fun and nice change of pace from those.

Pizdetz

Banned
Games on sale

With the DLC announcement yesterday it’s getting harder for me to wait for the PC version

Tempting.
How does 2 compare to 1?
I remember 1 had really great gameplay but the story and the diablo-esque loot system made it a nuisance at time. Also the missions were very reptitive.
Does this one have better pacing and less inventory management?

Cyborg

Finished the game and the last boss and Im new farming some stuff (in the added mission) before going into NG+. Few questions

- Should I just proceed to NG+ instead spending so much time farming in NG?
-Can you save a build (in your hut) respec with the book and creat another one? And can you switch between builds per level? So lets say I want to use my Odachi build I choose that one for a specific level and in the next I load up a different build?

Pizdetz

Banned
I got the game and played through a few bosses.

Game is very fun. Checkpoints are generous. Weapons and combat feel really good. The Yokai form is pretty good too.
Seems there is more enemy variety and bosses are creative.
It feels very similar to the first game, so I would say feel free to skip the first one and just go to the second, you'll get fatigued otherwise.

Some things I'm not crazy about:
- too many systems and upgradable things, I'm probably not using something important because there are like 20 menu screens with things to tweak and descriptions to read.
- yokai skills see pretty pointless, and I don't tend to use them that much unless it's a boss and I'm trying to reduce their stamina
- too many items / gear drops. Sifting through inventory was a pain in the last game and it seems to be a pain in this game

Luckily a lot of the stuff that's a pain in the butt it seems you can ignore and still do well. I'm sure if I went and read how to use these systems and items properly I'd have an easier time with the game. It's probably a bit easier than the first due to shortcut and shrine placement, also having the Yokai parry move is a great addition.

Pizdetz

Banned
Continuing my playthrough.
I like it much more than nioh1.
I would say 2 is just as difficult but much less frustrating. They get you back in the action quickly and the checkpoints are very fair.
Also the combat is amazing and all weapon types are so well done.
This game is far superior to Sekiro but I know many won't see it that way due to love of FROM. The bosses in NiOh2 are much more interesting and fun as well.
I wonder if Team Ninja will ever go back to Ninja Gaiden. I would love a next gen game of that as well. They really redeemed themselves with the NiOh series and they and the DMC team are once again at the top of the hack and slash food chain.

YukiOnna

Finally finished the main story last night (couple of side missions and online missions left.) What an absolute blast this game was. Already talked about how good the gameplay is and that hasn't changed, but I think the story direction is one of the biggest step ups. I'm a sucker for Mother and Child & Two Brothers stories so I was glad they nailed it. Antagonists were also an improvement over Kelley and John Dee of the first game.

Given the final cutscenes and Armor descriptions, I have a general idea what events we'll be going through in the DLC. Fun times.

Rien

Jelly Belly
Over 10 hours in... still the second mission. Not having block on L1 is giving me more trouble then it should. But it’s
starting to click more and more. Combat is hard but fair. Like the level design so far.

Reactions: MrS

YukiOnna

Anyone give Darkness in the Capital a shot yet? I completed it today and It's really good. More volume than Tengu's Disciple and a slew of new bosses and returning ones with new moves. If you enjoy the Yokai side of things, there's a bunch of regular new enemies which make for fun fights. Shuten Doji is also a lot more lethal in this DLC. New NG+ difficulty, rarity tier and accessory boost mechanic, as well, although I haven't dabbled in those enough yet.

They also bring back a certain Hayabusa.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Anyone give Darkness in the Capital a shot yet? I completed it today and It's really good. More volume than Tengu's Disciple and a slew of new bosses and returning ones with new moves. If you enjoy the Yokai side of things, there's a bunch of regular new enemies which make for fun fights. Shuten Doji is also a lot more lethal in this DLC. New NG+ difficulty, rarity tier and accessory boost mechanic, as well, although I haven't dabbled in those enough yet.

They also bring back a certain Hayabusa.
I have been playing Way of the Wise (NG+++) for a while now.
- Most levels have been updated with the new enemies.
- We can now upgrade Accessories via the Stone of Penance mechanic at the shrine
- Ethereal Equipment with the Star-Effects are awesome
- Ethereal Equipment has a chance to drop with Rarit Inheritance, allowing you to upgrade lower quality gear to Ethereal
- Ethereal Equipment has a chance to drop with an Effect that alters the weapons main stat to something else. (can be inheritable too); so can have axes scale of Heart for example.
- New Fist/Claw weapons like in Ninja Gaiden 2

YukiOnna

I have been playing Way of the Wise (NG+++) for a while now.
- Most levels have been updated with the new enemies.
- We can now upgrade Accessories via the Stone of Penance mechanic at the shrine
- Ethereal Equipment with the Star-Effects are awesome
- Ethereal Equipment has a chance to drop with Rarit Inheritance, allowing you to upgrade lower quality gear to Ethereal
- Ethereal Equipment has a chance to drop with an Effect that alters the weapons main stat to something else. (can be inheritable too); so can have axes scale of Heart for example.
- New Fist/Claw weapons like in Ninja Gaiden 2
Thank you for explaining in detail because my lazy ass wasn't going to.
Look forward to working up to Ethereal and trying the new weapon.

I hope we get a 3rd Weapon category for the final DLC story.

Kamina

Golden Boy
I would love an option to go all Ninja, have the Sword on the back and movement like Ren Hayabusa. (He seems to share the animations of Ryu / Ninja Gaiden games)

YukiOnna

I didn't see it mentioned in the Remaster thread, but the 3rd DLC: The First Samurai is out next month.

Nioh 2 : The First Samurai
jln4v2R.jpg

The thrilling conclusion to the Nioh 2 story and the third and final downloadable content expansion, “The First Samurai,” will be available on December 17, 2020. Brace yourselves to take on some of the most challenging missions and formidable foes in the entire series, along with an added difficulty level that will give even the most seasoned veterans a run for their money.

A flash of light from Sohayamaru whisks the protagonist back to the past as a Visitor for the third and final time. They are brought back to the place their mother spoke of when they were very young, the land of the fabled youth that defeated an oni. Otakemaru’s past, the secret of Sohayamaru, and the truth behind the first samurai. All of these mysteries will be revealed, and the protagonist’s long journey will finally come to a climactic end.

New Contents:
  • New Story (The First Samurai)
  • New Difficulty Mode
  • New Youkai Soul Cores and Techniques
  • New Book of Secret Skills
  • New Weapons, Armor and Accessories
  • New Guardian Spirits
  • New Endgame Content (Abyss Equivalent?)

Sadly no new weapon category, but the expected Endgame addition is a welcome one.

YukiOnna

There was a Discord AMA with Director Yasuda. Here are the details from a summary a user made on a reddit thread:

» They'll introduce a Dead or Alive-inspired character in DLC 3

» No further content after DLC3 (except bug fixes, if necessary)

» The team is already getting prepared for their next project (it's not Nioh 3), Yasuda himself continues to focus on the action side of things

» Nioh 2 has a higher clear rate than the first game

» When Yasuda joined the team, the game was on its third reboot

» They have considered open world for the second game, but had to scrap it early on due to technical limitations. It's possible the team will reconsider it for this new generation of consoles

» Yasuda follows most of the community content, including Discord servers, Facebook groups and Reddit. He mentions that feedback posted on Reddit had a big impact on him during the demo days.

» No PvP, balancing Yokai abilities in this mode would be too difficult

» The animation team isn't a big fan of the stance system because it's too much work

» He confirmed that the players are better at coming up with builds than them, he was surprised by how popular poison builds became

» New mode in DLC 3. Direct quote: "Around the end of the 3rd DLC, we'll be adding something that comes as challenging for skilled players, in a similar fashion to the Abyss mode in the first game."

» New Nioh 1/2 Remastered (PS5) footage next month

» Guardian Spirit Enhancement isn't on their plans right now

» Gozuki's absurd ki damage is 100% intentional

» No grace rerolling mechanic

isual

been playing this on ps5, and the loading times are quite fast. i think for 9.99 usd if you can get it, that's better price than the ps5 collection. just buy the season pass and you're good.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
There was a Discord AMA with Director Yasuda. Here are the details from a summary a user made on a reddit thread:

Hmm, DLC3 is going to be pretty big. To be honest I expected a final free upgrade sometime between DLC 3 and the release of the PC/PS5 version adding in a final bunch of bonus missions as there are a few signature levels in the original Nioh that haven't been brought back thus far. e.g. the grand tournament, vanishing Ratnaraj etc.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Quite a lot of new stuff appears to be live already (assuming you have 1.20) although as with the last DLC gotta wait for the new missions til tomorrow.

Cannot wait to get stuck in, and no doubt have my ass handed to me by Dream Of The Nioh and whatever the Abyss replacement turns out to be.

YukiOnna

Direct Feed Trailer and Press Release

Steel yourself for the ultimate challenge in the climactic final chapter of the Nioh 2 story.

Take up arms and travel through time to the land of the fabled youth who defeated an oni. Here, Otakemaru’s past, the secret of Sohayamaru and the truth behind the first samurai will all be revealed. The end of your hard-fought journey draws nigh.

Additional content includes:

• New The First Samurai storyline
  • A new higher difficulty level
  • New Guardian Spirits
  • New yokai, Soul Cores and Yokai Abilities
  • New weapons, armor and accessories
  • New Secret Arts Text skills
  • New end content: The Underworld

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Just had a quick run through the underworld. Seems very similar to the Abyss; short-ish dungeon with a tough enemy guarding a shrine that allows you to enter a boss arena. You can farm stones to modify difficulty for the boss, and at least on floor 1 you get a NPC companion to help you out.

Main diff appears to be the entry dungeon is level sync'd (moderately tough enemies dropping ~190+36 gear, started in DotS) so its independent of game cycle.

Seems like a bunch of new gear sets, plus versions of older sets with a + suffix, not checked out how they differ from the old ones, but the grind begins again!

Last edited:

Ingwerorang

Neo Member
Nioh 1 was amazing, played it for roughly 200 hours, got the platinum trophy. I bought Nioh 2 but didn't touch it because I was waiting for all the DLCs to be released. Maybe I should play it but the PC version is only two months away, so I could wait until then...

YukiOnna

Finished The First Samurai. Really liked how they finished the story- In the end, it was always about family. Though with how it ended, I can't see another Nioh unless it's in the far flung past since this pretty much concluded it. Also, New bosses were a lot of fun- Tate Eboshi fucked me up so many times...

PS: Mom is hot.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The season pass is on sale on PSN. I paid $14.97 USD (including tax). I don’t know if it was worth it to wait for the PS5 version, but this was a cheaper alternative. Considering 2021 might have a lot coming out. They released the last DLC two months before the newer version comes out. It’ll be the Complete version, which will include everything. The sale right now is pretty good. You get all 3 DLC packs.

Pejo

PC GAF, where you at? Only a few hours to go. If you haven't picked it up yet, GMG is doing 18% off still. PAYYAY at coupon redemption at checkout.

I can't fucking wait. I've resisted watching any videos about the game and have just seen a stray gif here and there. I'm going in almost entirely blind except the bit of reading I did on the new weapon types. I'm really excited to try splitstaff and switchglaive.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
PC GAF, where you at? Only a few hours to go. If you haven't picked it up yet, GMG is doing 18% off still. PAYYAY at coupon redemption at checkout.

I can't fucking wait. I've resisted watching any videos about the game and have just seen a stray gif here and there. I'm going in almost entirely blind except the bit of reading I did on the new weapon types. I'm really excited to try splitstaff and switchglaive.
I'm here bro, I'm also going in blind and I'm really excited to play this... But no preload and my current shitty internet connection means I might not play this until tomorrow.

I think I'll try most weapons, specially fists which seems cool as fuck.

Top Bottom