• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asgard's Wrath 2 |OT| AAAA VR gaming

I see some people saying that they managed to delete their save game to start over (yes, even this has no option in the game) by deleting the internal storage after disabling the cloud save:

So I'm wondering... if I delete cloud save, the download and backup this data folder, would I later be able to manually restore it and have the save file return?

If so, I'll probably end up doing something like this to backup my son's file when I find time to play on a weekend, then go through the annoying process again to restore his and backup mine when finished. But I'm not clear if that will even work.

EDIT: but I also see reports that playing on a second account profile works fine. So I doubt struggler_guts struggler_guts is correct about the profiles thing; so far I see multiple people saying it works, and no contrary reports.

I don't know, on the other profile the game isnt in the library and when I go to the store it wants me to buy it

Minsc

Gold Member
Really want to play this game, worth picking up a Quest 3 for?

If anything is, probably going to be this - if you enjoy it. Not really a whole lot of other games in this scope - 100 hour single player campaign, loaded to the brim with content. Of course getting a Quest 3 allows many other great games like Nexus, and Alyx and so forth, and among the most clear looking VR you'll see to date with those pancake lens.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
3/5 lol. Weird though because upload vr is biased towards meta compared to psvr 2...
They needed a clickbait boost and gave the review to the guy who claims melee combat "doesn't work" in VR because you can't feel it (voiding all interactive VR, lol) to justify 3/5 as a valid opinion as we obviously can't force anyone/criticize them for not liking things we like even if they present it as objective fact to would be buyers! I particularly ignore UVR even if they seem the best to some for how they handle things, demand exclusives for showcases or never show off games outside sponsored articles (that no game should pay for again when they're marked - as they should be - but as the games have not been covered before - in order to cave and pay for coverage - no matter how much they're praised it obviously looks like/is just an advert to ignore), subscription fees for comments, etc., as you say they have clear bias too (but all big VR media lean to Meta). If the big VR sites is how one gets informed they miss out on 90% of the cool stuff out there. 99% for non Quest stuff (then they may report on a Quest port years later and wonder why it didn't do well elsewhere, oh right, bash the platform alone over it again, lol). I realise my coverage goes off the other deep end and much of it is stuff people don't care for but better show people so they decide, a site can still give a nod to the better made stuff. They still haven't shown one bit of Unification (which is also on Quest with 1 user review and 5 ratings so it's not just PC where VR games without coverage, visibility or first party pimps go to die but it's the same on all platforms as the same big games like Alyx, Boneworks and Beat Saber sell great on all, only some mid tier games inbetween the high and bottom tier do better on Meta which gets the most coverage) and countless other great titles.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!

Wow, that's some excellent animation and attack patterning, very Monster Hunter, now I feel like such a game might work in VR even though VR controls are completely freeform so the opposite of the rigid animation priority in those games. I hope a talented developer makes such a game...

Some years ago there was an attempt at similar boss attacks that seems to have disappeared as suddenly as it appeared (I keep checking the channel hoping it resurfaces some day, lol) but these guys did it. Although going by the other videos of that game it was going to be a bit Souls-like.

So many VR devs seem to forget about traditional game design and go for all physics driven stuff a la Blade & Sorcery which just doesn't work outside certain scenarios and styles. They need to play Red Steel 2 or something and see how that game did enemies, combos and gesture specials.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

Started Asgards Wrath 1 Yesterday after finishing HL Alyx. Does the shark dude carry over into the second game? I like pointing him to fight for me.
This game plays like a combination of First Person Hack and Slash and Third Person puzzle platforming.
I've already failed with the little nomes food riddle. :( What tastes better above it's feet? Everything? I've given him all animals I can find. Turtle, crab, starfish. and plants. nothing works.
I'm halfway through AW1 but it's safe to say none of your followers will carry over to the 2nd game, but you will have new followers that also double as mounts in AW2.

As for the first Huldufolk riddle, try catching a bird mid-flight in your god form and squish it.

The game is reminds me a lot of Zelda pre-BotW, where the abilities you gain help you solve puzzles and progress through dungeons.

Interested to hear how people are getting on after a few hours.

I thought the first game was hugely overrated and I’m a bit wary of these reviews.
Based on reviews it seems AW2 is a more polished, open AW1. AW2's environments are massive in comparison, but overall don't expect a radical change.

Personally I'm enjoying AW1 a lot and easily one of the top 3 games I've played this year, even outside of VR.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
The quest 2 is half the price on amazon , is it really worth going for quest 3 ?

Significantly clearer display (edge to edge, always in focus) due to pancake lens
Much better sounding built in speakers to the point Quest 2 generally needs earbuds/over the ear headphones and Quest 3 does not.
Faster OS
Lighter/more comfortable (but probably still need a comfort mod strap)
Mixed Reality may be useful depending on needs - certainly the passthrough UI is so much better
Better Wifi

If you're using it for PC VR or have other headsets, beyond a doubt yes.

If you just want to try out VR for cheap, depends on how much the above matters to you.

Also you can possibly factor in the price of AW1 ($60) + AW2 ($60) + $30 referral link against the price of the Quest 3, which may help.

But would you buy a PS4 today to play games or a PS5? PS4 will get you lower resolution games at lower framerate, it's a similar comparison, only IMO the clarity in the headset is more pronounced than the 1080p > 4k bump on consoles.

Last edited:
Significantly clearer display (edge to edge, always in focus) due to pancake lens
Much better sounding built in speakers to the point Quest 2 generally needs earbuds/over the ear headphones and Quest 3 does not.
Faster OS
Lighter/more comfortable (but probably still need a comfort mod strap)
Mixed Reality may be useful depending on needs - certainly the passthrough UI is so much better
Better Wifi

If you're using it for PC VR or have other headsets, beyond a doubt yes.

If you just want to try out VR for cheap, depends on how much the above matters to you.

Also you can possibly factor in the price of AW1 ($60) + AW2 ($60) + $30 referral link against the price of the Quest 3, which may help.

But would you buy a PS4 today to play games or a PS5? PS4 will get you lower resolution games at lower framerate, it's a similar comparison, only IMO the clarity in the headset is more pronounced than the 1080p > 4k bump on consoles.
thanks , the 512gb and 128gb there's a 200$ difference.. is it really worth spending 200 more?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Man, it sucks. I can't even download the game now.

The Q3 enhancement update deleted the main game. Now, I have to download from scratch, and the download speed from Meta sucks. And the Quest 3 just cancels the download automatically after a few GBs -- regardless if it is on or sleeping.

Does anybody have any tips?

TrebleShot

Just jumping in to say as someone with PSVR2 I jumped into a Quest 3 on an impulse and I’m blown away this is proper vr it feels next gen.

Smaller
Clearer
In build and fantastic speakers
Social and watching apps
PCVR

PSVR2 feels a bit like a con.

Tried this game out and it’s fantastic.

Just jumping in to say as someone with PSVR2 I jumped into a Quest 3 on an impulse and I’m blown away this is proper vr it feels next gen.

Smaller
Clearer
In build and fantastic speakers
Social and watching apps
PCVR

PSVR2 feels a bit like a con.

Tried this game out and it’s fantastic.
If only the resident evil games were ported to pc I wouldn’t feel a little bit jealous of if PSVR2. Glad it exists tho and are putting in the effort

Minsc

Gold Member
thanks , the 512gb and 128gb there's a 200$ difference.. is it really worth spending 200 more?

I think it doesn't hurt, but if you're already feeling like it's adding up too much, it is not necessary or anything... AW2 is 30GB, so you can have 3 games like that - *but* that's definitely an exception. There's a handful of 20GB games yes, but the vast majority of games - especially the ones you'd tend to play in VR a little every day tend to be 2-5GBs.

And all the PC VR games like Alyx, Squadrons, etc are 0GB lol.

But AW2 is a ~100 hour RPG - I personally don't enjoy playing multiple 100 hour RPGs / AAA games at once. So for me it's not a big deal to keep 1-2 games of that caliber and delete them when I'm done. I have Nexus (which is great) and AW2 installed on my 128GB, along with a bunch of smaller games (and some medium sized ones like RE4).

But I have fast internet and you can queue downloads from your phone while you're away/at work, so it's really no hassle to plan out 15 minutes ahead of wanting to play some 30GB to download it in advance. And I really don't hop between games like that everyday.

What you will notice is if the default straps are not the most comfortable - which there's a decent chance you'll find, something that provides support over the top of your head like the Elite Strap (and better if it's weighted on the back w/ a battery) is very much something to consider buying and factoring in to the price of the headset itself. Third party straps tend to be favored because Meta's stuff is overpriced, so definitely something to think about. But that's the headset's biggest weakness, and is pretty simply fixed, other than the LCD panel's inability to deliver pitch black blacks, which is really the only other drawback.

Man, it sucks. I can't even download the game now.

The Q3 enhancement update deleted the main game. Now, I have to download from scratch, and the download speed from Meta sucks. And the Quest 3 just cancels the download automatically after a few GBs -- regardless if it is on or sleeping.

Does anybody have any tips?

I've never heard of that - but the main things I'd try are 1 power off/on, 2 factory reset (assuming there's nothing in the wifi settings / forgetting the network/rejoining doesn't help). If it is still doing that, perhaps the issue is the router? Most people I've read have really fast downloads.

If only the resident evil games were ported to pc I wouldn’t feel a little bit jealous of if PSVR2. Glad it exists tho and are putting in the effort

Praydog's mods exist through, and provide a similar experience if you don't own a PSVR2! I'm still extremely hyped for when/if the generic UE VR mod ever gets released, and then PC VR gets 100s of VR mods, granted not all will be great, but still, should be awesome for some!

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I've never heard of that - but the main things I'd try are 1 power off/on, 2 factory reset (assuming there's nothing in the wifi settings / forgetting the network/rejoining doesn't help). If it is still doing that, perhaps the issue is the router? Most people I've read have really fast downloads.
First, thanks for responding. Really appreciate the help.

I don't want to factory reset just yet, but that is still sort of a last-resort option. I have tried powering on/off. I've also tried with different WiFi connections.

Apparently, this issue is very common.

Minsc

Gold Member
First, thanks for responding. Really appreciate the help.

I don't want to factory reset just yet, but that is still sort of a last-resort option. I have tried powering on/off. I've also tried with different WiFi connections.

Apparently, this issue is very common.

Since the headset is pretty portable, from reading that thread it may be worth testing the router - if you're visiting anyone for the holidays or just over the next trip to a friend/family/work, I'd try rebooting and downloading on a different set of router/internet - then at least you can eliminate your own router/ISP as the issue depending on the result.

Thanks for the replies guys ! I'll probably go with the 128gb Quest 3 after the damn holidays, do a payment plan with amazon, damn thing ain't cheap.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Definitely concerning. I guess I’ll find out in a few days when I try.
Update: I confirmed that there’s no problem with multiple accounts.

Add a second account to your headset (easy these days since you don’t even need a Facebook login) and turn on “app sharing” (all users of headset can share games) and it just works — I use that second account for my own save game and my son uses the main one.

Psykotik

Update: I confirmed that there’s no problem with multiple accounts.

Add a second account to your headset (easy these days since you don’t even need a Facebook login) and turn on “app sharing” (all users of headset can share games) and it just works — I use that second account for my own save game and my son uses the main one.

does the quest automatically log into the admin account upon boot? or is there a select user screen?

Hot5pur

For considering a quest purchase, I wouldn't motivate my purchase off AW2. There is so much more to the whole ecosystem that goes far beyond it in terms of simulation and unique experiences. There is quite bit of depth beyond just traditional games that were "ported" to VR. I think that's what AW seeks to do, take the RPG gamer crowd and entice them into VR, but it's far deeper than that.

Romulus

Probably 12 hours in AW2.

Flinging the ax around is probably the most badass I've felt in awhile. I'm using the whirlwinds that are created by changing the direction of the ax in mid flight to kill enemies.

Super satisfying.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I’ve only played maybe 2 hours so I’m still in simple areas; the game runs excellent on the Q3 and looks sharp. My son enjoys it.

That said… it’s nothing like Alyx, which was a powerfully unique gaming experience to its core.

This game feels very by-the-numbers overall, executed fine but utterly predictable (smash pits for loot, run on special walls, hit a button on the wall to make the spikes recede, etc). i know that the god-mode comes into play more later, but right now I’d call this game “somewhat dull but nice comfort food.”

Even a game like Bone Lab which got relatively little attention felt much more strikingly original and inventive in its first hour than I expect AW2 to be in its entire playtime.

Romulus

I’ve only played maybe 2 hours so I’m still in simple areas; the game runs excellent on the Q3 and looks sharp. My son enjoys it.

That said… it’s nothing like Alyx, which was a powerfully unique gaming experience to its core.

This game feels very by-the-numbers overall, executed fine but utterly predictable (smash pits for loot, run on special walls, hit a button on the wall to make the spikes recede, etc). i know that the god-mode comes into play more later, but right now I’d call this game “somewhat dull but nice comfort food.”

Even a game like Bone Lab which got relatively little attention felt much more strikingly original and inventive in its first hour than I expect AW2 to be in its entire playtime.

Keep playing. The first 5 hours are essentially a tutorial.

Kadve

FIY OP. An "AAAA" game is on the same level as an "Cat 6" Hurricane. It doesn't exist and using it just tells people that someone has no idea how the game industry works.

(its taken from the bond credit rating system if your curious where "AAA" is the highest. In that regard it refers to a safe investment rather than quality).

Last edited:

Techies

I'm just kind of surprised they added wall running. VR games does far have been trying to play it too safe.

This is taking off the training wheels a bit, but keeping the obstacle course simplistic still.

As for game design is does things I hate. Too many smashable vases and boxes.

If you hide crafting materials in them, people going to smash them. If they are in every room, every corner it starts getting old really fast.

I'd rather have a big room that flows nonstop with a chest in the end, rather than having to pause to smash a vase that might contain something.

Caio

Dude, let me send you a referral and we both get $30 meta bucks. Even if it's all ready purchased.

There aren't even any Q3 enhancements yet. Q2 native.

If you looking for that 25% discount, I host referral links at www.linktr.ee/markgulfcoast
There are already enhancements, but The big update is coming for Quest 3 with the new year, not sure exactly when.

Asgard's Wrath 2 now has two enhancements on Quest 3 as part of its first patch.

Asgard's Wrath 2 arrived on Quest 2, Quest Pro, and Quest 3 last week. But despite being bundled with every Quest 3, the game didn't launch with any graphical enhancements for the new headset, which has more than twice the GPU performance.

Patch 1, released today, adds two on-by-default settings for Quest 3 players as the first step in addressing this. The first is for 90Hz refresh rate, and the second is called Enhanced Rendering Features.
Both enhancements can be used together simultaneously - this isn't a case of a performance vs quality mode.

Last edited:

Romulus

You can turn them off the enchancements in the menu and see/feel the difference. That's just the 1st patch too, more to come.

If you have a small surplus and really want the best experience, get in on Quest 3. The next few patches will only further the gap.

Last edited:

Caio

I'd never recommend buying a console for one game, but it really depends on you. I think there are lots of cool VR games.
I have 18 games on my Radar, for my son and I(all released), and many others coming in 2024 ;)

1) Red Matter 2

2) Vader Immortal

3) Cities VR

4) Tetris Effect Connected

5) Dungeon of Eternity

6) Pistol Whip

7) Demeo Bettles

8) Walkabout Mini Golf

9) SuperHot VR

10) Vegas Infinite

11) The 7th Guest

12) The Walking Dead Saints & Sinners

13) Medal of Honor : Above and Beyond

14) Resident Evil 4

15) Runner

16) Robo Recall : Unplagged

17) Lucky’s Tale

18) Moss

I'm not gonna buy all, I will probably choose 7,8 among them.

Minsc

Gold Member
AC: Nexus is really good too, that should be up towards the top. Vader Immortal is a bit disappointing IMO. Visually and mechanically. Dungeon of Eternity may be redundant with AW2 - it has a similar mode.

Resenge

Dungeon of Eternity may be redundant with AW2 - it has a similar mode.
Is that so? I loved Dungeon of eternity. I will have to start this game soon.

So many great games at the end of the year though plus I have started playing Guild wars 2 for the first time. NIce problem to have.

Caio

Wait what?
They bundle it with Q3 and it have no enhancements? Hard to beilive. Source?
There are enhancements, and more coming :

Asgard's Wrath 2 now has two enhancements on Quest 3 as part of its first patch.

Asgard's Wrath 2 arrived on Quest 2, Quest Pro, and Quest 3 last week. But despite being bundled with every Quest 3, the game didn't launch with any graphical enhancements for the new headset, which has more than twice the GPU performance.

Patch 1, released today, adds two on-by-default settings for Quest 3 players as the first step in addressing this. The first is for 90Hz refresh rate, and the second is called Enhanced Rendering Features.

Both enhancements can be used together simultaneously - this isn't a case of a performance vs quality mode.
Edited : and, you should look at Red Matter 2 , now optimized for Quest 3: superior graphics and immersion, by a significant margin, a true Jewel !

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Keep playing. The first 5 hours are essentially a tutorial.
I've gone a bit further now and am certainly enjoying it.

The smoothness of the controls and visuals on the Quest3 is excellent, and it's great to just have a game with this kind of scope. I particularly love the menus, inventory screens, etc... they went the extra mile with detail.

EDIT: It's infinitely smoother than the other big showcase game of the holiday season, Assassin's Creed, which runs at half framerate with reprojection and all kinds of issues. I should have known better than to buy an Ubisoft product.

Last edited:

Caio

I was loving the Game, but since I was still in the beginning and heard about huge updates coming, I preferred to stop playing, go to other games, and wait a month or two for something I really want for Asgard's Wrath 2 :

Asgard's Wrath 2 gets big update, but enhanced textures for Quest 3 are still pending​

The new patch contains numerous small improvements, performance optimizations, new features, and bug fixes. Among other things, the audio sample rate on Quest 3 has been improved, new controller settings have been added, and the difficulty of the Bruiser boss fight has been lowered. According to the developers, occasional progress blockers have also been fixed.

However, due to the complexity of the game, problems may still occur in some cases. You can always report bugs on the official Discord server. Links to the full patch notes for version 1.2.1466588 and the Discord server can be found in the source below.

The size of the update is considerable at 31 GB. This is due to an issue with Unreal's file organization, which has now been fixed. Future updates should be much smaller.

Sanzaru Games has also announced that more updates will be coming soon. These will address frequent requests from the community, such as more save slots, a refinement of the Cosmic Conquests, and most importantly, high-resolution textures for Quest 3.

I really want the Hi-res Textures pack for my Quest 3, and all the bug fixes, perf improvements, etc. This Game deserves it ;)

I was loving the Game, but since I was still in the beginning and heard about huge updates coming, I preferred to stop playing, go to other games, and wait a month or two for something I really want for Asgard's Wrath 2 :

Asgard's Wrath 2 gets big update, but enhanced textures for Quest 3 are still pending​

I really want the Hi-res Textures pack for my Quest 3, and all the bug fixes, perf improvements, etc. This Game deserves it ;)
Same here, I'll definitely wait, especially for the texture update :)

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I read titles as Asura's Wrath 2 and got excited........
giphy.gif

Wonko_C

I finally beat and 100% AW1 a few weeks ago and finally started the sequel. What you lose in graphic fidelity you gain in everything else: The world is massive and the game strutcture is closer to an open world action RPG than to a semi-linear God of War 2018 clone. If we can keep getting games with this scope on mobile hardware I am satisfied with the current inbetween Xbox/Xbox 360 graphics.

Last edited:
I finally beat and 100% AW1 a few weeks ago and finally started the sequel. What you lose in graphic fidelity you gain in everything else: The world is massive and the game strutcture is closer to an open world action RPG than to a semi-linear God of War 2018 clone. If we can keep getting games with this scope on mobile hardware I am satisfied with the current inbetween Xbox/Xbox 360 graphics.
How long is AW1? I've been playing for well over 25 hours. For a VR game thats everything else VR I've played COMBINED.

Top Bottom