• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arizona Sunshine 2 is out NOW!! (Quest, PSVR2, SteamVR)

MarkMe2525

Another day, another huge release for VR. The Sequel to one of the most successful VR games ever is finally released and ready for download. Arizona Sunshine 2 aims to take everything that people loved about the first zombie survival game and crank it up to 11. While I haven't gotten to play it yet, it also includes a rougelike mode. I'm hoping this mode is fleshed out fully, as I love "The Light Brigade" which is another VR rougelike.

Personally, I think the graphics are a true showcase of the respective platforms it's released on. I'm not the biggest shooter VR shooter fan, but the tech alone has me intrigued. I was going to wait for sale, but a friend sent me his 25% off link so as I write this, it is downloading on my Quest 3. I am such a sucker.

Update: Coming in a little hot. There is occasional melee collision issues on Quest and on PSVR2 the throwing is broken. As always, people are complaining about the reprojection on PSVR2, i suggest turning down brightness to lessen the effect. Not everyone is reporting issues so YMMV. Hopefully it will be patched soon.

I linked some reviews and graphic comparisons below

If you would like to save 25% off as well, here is my referral code. As always, keep in mind that Meta sends me $5 for each purchase so I am not just being altruistic.

To check out the rest of my 25% off referrals, click the link www.linktr.ee/markgulfcoast

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I never cared for the original despite being one of the more famous VR games. I guess it was okay for its time all things considered but I hope this one's vastly improved, especially for that price, when legit amazing titles like Saints & Sinners and its sequel or Vertigo 2 are 30-40 and others way less.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

I never cared for the original despite being one of the more famous VR games. I guess it was okay for its time all things considered but I hope this one's vastly improved, especially for that price, when legit amazing titles like Saints & Sinners and its sequel or Vertigo 2 are 30-40 and others way less.
I only played about an hour of the first and refunded. As I mentioned in OP, I'm not big into shooters. I wouldn't have paid full price, but the referral gets it down to $37.

GHG

Is it better than the 1st one?

I'm intrigued but £40 for the Steam version is a bit steep considering it's supposedly only ~5 hours long or so.

MarkMe2525

Is the Quest 3 version actually the Quest 2 version or something?
It is. While running at higher resolutions, the studio hasn't released any Quest 3 enhancements as of yet.

Is it better than the 1st one?

I'm intrigued but £40 for the Steam version is a bit steep considering it's supposedly only ~5 hours long or so.
I haven't had a chance to play as of yet, but hopefully the roguelike mode can make up for the story length. I'm a sucker for roguelike mechanics.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

Three

Surprised the physics are different and very janky on Quest3 vs the PSVR2 version. That would annoy me interacting with objects. You would have thought the gameplay mechanics would be identical, unless this isn't a very physically interactive VR game?

MarkMe2525

Surprised the physics are different and very janky on Quest3 vs the PSVR2 version. That would annoy me interacting with objects. You would have thought the gameplay mechanics would be identical, unless this isn't a very physically interactive VR game?
I honestly haven't observed any wonkyness but I mainly have been playing hoard mode where there isnt any melee. The physics actually have been quite convincing, I was noting to myself how cool it was that so many dynamic objects reacted to my gunfire. Of course now (since you said something) I am going to be hyper aware and looking for it.

Sometimes reprojection techniques can cause a certain level of stutter on dynamic moving objects, especially if they are near your face. I haven't looked at any performance videos as of yet so I cant be sure of the native framerate, though I imagine it's 45fps reprojected up to 90fps. Hopefully, it does not take them too long to release Quest 3 enhancements. As of now its Quest 2 code with a bump in resolution.

Three

Sometimes reprojection techniques can cause a certain level of stutter on dynamic moving objects, especially if they are near your face. I haven't looked at any performance videos as of yet so I cant be sure of the native framerate, though I imagine it's 45fps reprojected up to 90fps. Hopefully, it does not take them too long to release Quest 3 enhancements. As of now its Quest 2 code with a bump in resolution.
I think the physics or animations on the Quest are running at a much lower rate than the actual framerate. It looks too choppy even for 45. Look at the sausage updates when he swings it. Timestamped here:

It would annoy me if I struggled to interact with things in the game but I imagine this game doesn't use the physical interaction mechanic much for gameplay anyhow? I've yet to play it, does it use physical interaction much?

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

I think the physics or animations on the Quest are running at a much lower rate than the actual framerate. It looks too choppy even for 45. Look at the sausage updates when he swings it. Timestamped here:

It would annoy me if I struggled to interact with things in the game but I imagine this game doesn't use the physical interaction mechanic much for gameplay anyhow? I've yet to play it, does it use physical interaction much?

Yeah, that's just seems like a clipping glitch. That stuff isn't happening often. You may have missed it, but right after that burger janks out, he specifically mentions that those type of issues don't pop up often and that the Quest and PSVR2 versions play identically.

As far as the amount of physical interactions go, imo it's more or less on par with any VR game with melee. That may seem like a cop-out, but this game isn't breaking any ground in that department. There are more dynamic objects overall, but I'm not interacting all that much with my play style.

psvr2 reprojection seems borked again.

That sucks man. I don't know why, but PSVR2 players seem to point these issues out more. It happens on Quest as well, I wonder if Quest users are more used to it, or have lower expectations.

Edit: I wonder if the fast response times of the OLED makes it more noticeable. The Quests LCD may smear this out a little.

Last edited:

Tangerine

I haven't bought it yet and may wait for sale but the quest 3 footage posted above looks pretty good to me.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Game looks fun, but "another day, another huge vr release" doesn't feel entirely accurate.

hlm666

That sucks man. I don't know why, but PSVR2 players seem to point these issues out more. It happens on Quest as well, I wonder if Quest users are more used to it, or have lower expectations.
Quests reprojection doesn't seem to run into this problem as badly or maybe I just havn't played anything that screws it up badly on that platform yet, I don't know why psvr2 seems to run into this problem the worst. Call of the Mountain gave me headaches which I assume was because of it, I havn't had that on any other vr platform. It wasn't vertigo either because I played climb on pcvr and climb 2 on quest 2 fine. GT7 was fine for me, and there are other games that reprojection seems to work fine, but with sony's refund policy I'm not real prepared take chances.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I will wait until I see the Quest 3 update. If they add shadows then I'm in.

Three

Quests reprojection doesn't seem to run into this problem as badly or maybe I just havn't played anything that screws it up badly on that platform yet, I don't know why psvr2 seems to run into this problem the worst. Call of the Mountain gave me headaches which I assume was because of it, I havn't had that on any other vr platform. It wasn't vertigo either because I played climb on pcvr and climb 2 on quest 2 fine. GT7 was fine for me, and there are other games that reprojection seems to work fine, but with sony's refund policy I'm not real prepared take chances.
What exactly is 'borked' about it from a scientific perspective though? Both the quest and PSVR2 version have reprojection enabled. What would be the exact difference there? Maybe the increased brightness and framerate on the OLED/HDR screen makes you notice it more but both have the same reprojection technique.

Playing on psvr2
It have some strange bugs like throwing stuff have the same velocity , doesn’t matter how hard you throw it.

Game is fun , was tired of scary jump, horror, puzzles. Just want some no brain action vr. 😂

hlm666

What exactly is 'borked' about it from a scientific perspective though? Both the quest and PSVR2 version have reprojection enabled. What would be the exact difference there? Maybe the increased brightness and framerate on the OLED/HDR screen makes you notice it more but both have the same reprojection technique.
It's been reported by many different reviewers since release, and by the one in the review I just posted above who says the quest version doesn't have the issue (pc none issue it's not using it). I don't need to even cherry pick data just go google yourself psvr2 reprojection issues. It's a smearing/ghosting type thing, I don't know why it gives me headaches, I don't know why psvr2 seems to suffer the worst or why it doesn't happen in all psvr2 games. If sony had a refund policy like steam and meta it would be a none issue because I could safely just buy something and if it's one with the shit reprojection I could get my money back and try a different platform if I wanted. Maybe the blurry results it produces make my eyes try to bring it into focus and it's eye strain, I don't know. The good news is I can use other platforms without issues, even the older psvr1. /shrug

Three

It's been reported by many different reviewers since release, and by the one in the review I just posted above who says the quest version doesn't have the issue (pc none issue it's not using it). I don't need to even cherry pick data just go google yourself psvr2 reprojection issues. It's a smearing/ghosting type thing, I don't know why it gives me headaches, I don't know why psvr2 seems to suffer the worst or why it doesn't happen in all psvr2 games. If sony had a refund policy like steam and meta it would be a none issue because I could safely just buy something and if it's one with the shit reprojection I could get my money back and try a different platform if I wanted. Maybe the blurry results it produces make my eyes try to bring it into focus and it's eye strain, I don't know. The good news is I can use other platforms without issues, even the older psvr1. /shrug
But the thing is that both the PSVR1 and Quest use the exact same reprojection too. I think what you're complaining about is related to the screen persistence and by reducing the brightness down to 25% you can get the same nits as those other platforms at max nits and lower this ghosting effect.

MarkMe2525

But the thing is that both the PSVR1 and Quest use the exact same reprojection too. I think what you're complaining about is related to the screen persistence and by reducing the brightness down to 25% you can get the same nits as those other platforms at max nits and lower this ghosting effect.
It has to be the displays, because if you go to PSVR2 subReddit or PSVR2 centric youtube channel comments, it's all everyone talks about. I'm exaggerating of course, but there is a vocal group.

Tangerine

Anyone got a 25% off code for this?

OPs has reached earnings limit

EDIT: I found one. No longer an issue.

Last edited:
Top Bottom