• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh 2 |OT| Yippee-Ki-Yokai (or Die HARD)

Armorian

Banned
Ready to dive in again. Completed it on console so going to do the same on PC.

Seems to run like shit on PC - this is 1440p (!), especially on Nv

rkyRcjj.jpg

DLlSfBe.jpg

Hudo

PC GAF, where you at? Only a few hours to go. If you haven't picked it up yet, GMG is doing 18% off still. PAYYAY at coupon redemption at checkout.

I can't fucking wait. I've resisted watching any videos about the game and have just seen a stray gif here and there. I'm going in almost entirely blind except the bit of reading I did on the new weapon types. I'm really excited to try splitstaff and switchglaive.
I am present and ready.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife

rkyRcjj.jpg

DLlSfBe.jpg
Poorly optimized yeah. I've read that it might be something to do with particle effects, at least on nVidia cards.

But hey, as long as I can get 1440p/60fps with everything maxed out I'll be happy. Could be better tho, but it seems lile yet another crappy japanese port.

Pejo

Finally can install. I don't think I'm going to make it much longer so my impessions will be in the morning (I have off work tomorrow, perfect timing).

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Weird performance results, and I have to say if its particle effects slowing stuff down, I hate to think what performance is going to be like in the endgame where the amount of loot and its associated VFX really ramps up. The only part of the game where it really chugs on PS4 is a couple of endgame arenas where if you don't collect loot constantly you end up with literally hundreds of transparency and particle emitting objects scattered around. It culls properly when they aren't in view, but when you have a load visible, plus everything else it can drop well below target.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
noticing streamers using fists. Is this new? I definitely want to go way of the fist but I do love me some long sword.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
noticing streamers using fists. Is this new? I definitely want to go way of the fist but I do love me some long sword.

Fists are very strong, one of the most popular weapon classes for a variety of reasons.

Every weapon type is totally viable but the meta skews very hard towards a build-style which focuses on smashing down enemies Ki (stamina) in order to limit their ability to use their strongest attacks, immobilize them, and smash them down with fast, heavy attacks. Its the most practical route at endgame and fists are really good for it.

That being said, they are one of the more technical classes, as you really need to get move timings down to maximize damage and naturally they don't have the sort of reach that things like splitstaff or spear has. They aren't for everyone, personally I prefer Tonfa, but you can make literally anything work.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
Fists are very strong, one of the most popular weapon classes for a variety of reasons.

Every weapon type is totally viable but the meta skews very hard towards a build-style which focuses on smashing down enemies Ki (stamina) in order to limit their ability to use their strongest attacks, immobilize them, and smash them down with fast, heavy attacks. Its the most practical route at endgame and fists are really good for it.

That being said, they are one of the more technical classes, as you really need to get move timings down to maximize damage and naturally they don't have the sort of reach that things like splitstaff or spear has. They aren't for everyone, personally I prefer Tonfa, but you can make literally anything work.
I haven't played Nioh 2 but now that I started it up the beginning weapon select does not show fist, I guess it's just a weapon drop.

Graciaus

I am trash at this game but I remember sucking at the first one also. Ki pulse was just something I could never get down or remember to do. Started with dual swords like I did the 1st but I'm pretty sure I ended up switching to something else later.

Holy skill tree. Don't remember it being that big last time.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I haven't played Nioh 2 but now that I started it up the beginning weapon select does not show fist, I guess it's just a weapon drop.

Honestly, no idea. Fists were added in the (2nd?) DLC so by the time I got to use them I was way into the game. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they aren't part of the initial tutorial in the interim, but provided they show up on the skill-tree display you're good.

Two things to note about fists: First of all they come in two sub-types: Fists and Claws. The former are somewhat like Tonfa in that they trade off a certain amount of physical damage for ki damage, whereas the latter are pure physical damage. Pick your skills on the tree according to which you prefer.
Secondly, the real draw of fists is a skill called Beyond Infinity which has you do volley's of reverse punches Ip Man style! This is very strong but it requires you to time your presses in time with visual flashes in order to extend the chain. You'll see a lot of streamers use this, but it is a pretty advanced technique that I'd say adds even more complexity to a game with tons to learn generally.

In short if you're new to the game, they wouldn't be an ideal pick imho. There's so much to learn in Nioh2 even if you have hundreds of hours in the first game. The anima system adds a whole other dimension to combat and utilizing it properly makes life so much easier.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Claw in high stance dominates :)

I switched my weapon so many times to get something I felt comfortable with. I ended up using claws later in the game and now going into NG+.

Last edited:

SinDelta

I am concerned about PC performance.

Enjoyed yet hated the first one. Story, presentation, loot were awesome. The bosses though, I just could not.
Was unable to get past the frog boss in the ninja manson.

Last edited:
im on the fence to play this in coop on pc. how hard is it in coop, are the enemys/bosses scale with more players? friend of mine is a DS pro and im a noob, could this coop work?

Kamina

Golden Boy
Can anyone see sigificant difference between PS5 mode and 4k mode beyond resolution?
It looks the same to me, but PS5 mode has ugly shadow pop-in and flickering, while 4k has ugly draw distance pop-in

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
im on the fence to play this in coop on pc. how hard is it in coop, are the enemys/bosses scale with more players? friend of mine is a DS pro and im a noob, could this coop work?

HP scales on bosses for sure, probably on all enemies. Co-op is much easier if you're with people who know what they are doing, but you'll possibly find yourself just tagging along picking up loot if they are doing all the work.

Co-op shines when you have complimentary builds, ironically it can actually hurt effectiveness if they work against each other such as when one player is running a purity build the rest corruption.

Last edited:

FrankWza

I was able to do the nioh2 upgrade from my previous purchases. But there isn’t one for Nioh right? Even if you have the disc or purchased it you need to purchase the upgrade?

Pejo

God damn Splitstaff is more technical than I was expecting. Timing my button presses and holds correctly is going to take a bit of practice, but I love the weapon. Somehow after pissing around with a bunch of weapons trying to kill that horse demon at the start, I landed on Hatchets as a second weapon type, at least for now. I love the charge throw to pull enemies and even managed to knock off some demon horns with it which set up easy kills. Love the moveset on top of it, it's kinda like a more primal 2kat.

Anybody got any good splitstaff advice? I see that mid stance is great for when you are fighting groups, but I'm still a little lost with it and looking for any suggestions. Should I be holding the button to extend the staff often, or is there a particular advantageous time to do it vs. the regular hits?

j0hnnix

Gold Member
Damn finally beat Enenra, Forgot how insanely technical Nioh 2 is and how all abilities are important to understand which adds to the learning of the patterns , definitely learning patterns is 1 part of the puzzle. I'm level 15 going into level 21 missions now. not much into farming but will probably farm a little before next boss. Claws are brutal but skill level is through the roof. Switching between those and Odachi.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I'd advise new players not to overlook the Dojo's training grounds.

You can just mess about in there without fear of death while you get a feel for what fits your preferred style of play. Super useful especially for testing out Soul Cores as its perfect to see what sort of damage vs ki damage they do. There are so many types I don't think there's a proper comparison vid or doc on them, meaning that most people just use the same handful in the meta.

Same deal with the Guardian Spirit class; stun, dodge, or parry as a basic counter move are very much taste choices, but an important thing as they are life-savers. Find what works best for you.

One last thing, which I think is super helpful while figuring stuff out is make sure you have some barrier talismans (onmyo tree). Its a huge quality of life benefit not having to stress about ki-pulsing to clear the pools of yokai mist.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The 3070 below a 2080 Super, and a Radeon VII trading blows with a 2080 Ti and even a 3080.

What on Earth.

Driver issues maybe? Very odd. Especially as given console standards the game runs better than average.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
PC lads, I've been playing for a little while and haven't experienced any issues so far on my 3070 with everything maxed out.

I played until beating the Enki that drops his core at the start, so I've basically seen the tutorial area and the first area. Does ot get worst later? I would love to keep playing but I don't mind waiting for a possible patch.

Btw, fists are cool as fuck, I'll probably main that and the katana.

Can anyone see sigificant difference between PS5 mode and 4k mode beyond resolution?
It looks the same to me, but PS5 mode has ugly shadow pop-in and flickering, while 4k has ugly draw distance pop-in

I have been looking for an answer for this as well. Can't decide which mode to go with, they aren't explained super well.

Pejo

I'd advise new players not to overlook the Dojo's training grounds.

You can just mess about in there without fear of death while you get a feel for what fits your preferred style of play. Super useful especially for testing out Soul Cores as its perfect to see what sort of damage vs ki damage they do. There are so many types I don't think there's a proper comparison vid or doc on them, meaning that most people just use the same handful in the meta.

Same deal with the Guardian Spirit class; stun, dodge, or parry as a basic counter move are very much taste choices, but an important thing as they are life-savers. Find what works best for you.

One last thing, which I think is super helpful while figuring stuff out is make sure you have some barrier talismans (onmyo tree). Its a huge quality of life benefit not having to stress about ki-pulsing to clear the pools of yokai mist.
Thanks for the writeup here. If barrier talismans remove the yokai mist pools, how do you get your Ki back up in the demon realm? I find myself unable to do anything until the yokai leaves a pool and I clear it for the increased Ki regen. Demon realm is kinda screwing me up right now, if I'm being honest. I can deal with a lot of the new mechanics that this game throws at you, (though I don't really like the demon parry) but the demon realm stuff just seems like a bit too much, too early into the game. It took me a good 20 tries to take down that monkey oni in the first realm due to Ki being absolutely decimated in there.

The 3070 below a 2080 Super, and a Radeon VII trading blows with a 2080 Ti and even a 3080.

What on Earth.
Yea right now some Nvidia cards are having issues, seems to be a driver thing.

You mean in the beginning when you're inside that tree-cave, before the story begins? I was able to choose them at that point. Do you have the dlc (bought separate or via the complete edition)? I don't think they were a part of the original base game.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
I have been looking for an answer for this as well. Can't decide which mode to go with, they aren't explained super well.
4k mode has the worst pop-in so i chose PS5 mode. Which looks marginally different than the 1080/60 mode on PS4Pro, but on vastly more powerful hardware.
“Remaster” my ass.

Pejo

Now granted I haven't played Nioh 1 in a long time, but this game seems to be a lot harder at the beginning than 1. They throw a lot of mid-size Oni at you that attack relentlessly and all have AoE Sweep moves, and the Yokai realm stuff is way too prominent for this early in the game. I like the idea of you ducking in and out of it as you progress in the stage until you kill the bigger Oni, but it just seems like half of the 2nd main stage is Yokai realm. Maybe I need to just farm some revenants and upgrade my gear, but the difficulty just feels off for this early. Probably most of it is that I still don't have much unlocked in the way of skills due to mission gating.

Manus

Now granted I haven't played Nioh 1 in a long time, but this game seems to be a lot harder at the beginning than 1. They throw a lot of mid-size Oni at you that attack relentlessly and all have AoE Sweep moves, and the Yokai realm stuff is way too prominent for this early in the game. I like the idea of you ducking in and out of it as you progress in the stage until you kill the bigger Oni, but it just seems like half of the 2nd main stage is Yokai realm. Maybe I need to just farm some revenants and upgrade my gear, but the difficulty just feels off for this early. Probably most of it is that I still don't have much unlocked in the way of skills due to mission gating.

Yeah I'm right there with you. I'm finding the early stages of this one much harder then the first game. I've died so many times to countless just human enemies. Especially the rogues with the large axes.

Garibaldi

I'm finding it's got a bit weird frame time issues on my 3090 but overall runs at the limit (120). That's at 3840x1600 (patched from pcgamingwiki.com's recommendation) on a 144hz gsync monitor. It was flawless on my PS4 Pro.

Edit: Typos

Last edited:

Pejo

Finally getting a groove a bit, only took 3 tries for the Fire boss.

It seems like matchmaking on PC is all messed up right now, I tried to do some co-op but it took me like 10 minutes just to successfully match with someone, kept saying "room is full - disconnected from host" over and over. How is something like matchmaking not just solved by now? I never had those issues in Nioh 1.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Thanks for the writeup here. If barrier talismans remove the yokai mist pools, how do you get your Ki back up in the demon realm? I find myself unable to do anything until the yokai leaves a pool and I clear it for the increased Ki regen. Demon realm is kinda screwing me up right now, if I'm being honest. I can deal with a lot of the new mechanics that this game throws at you, (though I don't really like the demon parry) but the demon realm stuff just seems like a bit too much, too early into the game. It took me a good 20 tries to take down that monkey oni in the first realm due to Ki being absolutely decimated in there.

Yea right now some Nvidia cards are having issues, seems to be a driver thing.

The further you get in, the less of an issue the demon realm is. Initially I just fished stuff out with ranged attacks and/or ducking in and out at the edge of the dark zones. You get resistance to the ki suppression from the skill tree, and there are numerous ways to up your ki gain generally. Initially its more difficult because you don't know which enemy is generating the field, but once you've figured that out... focus on killing that by whatever means you have.

Yokai pools you can clear with pulses and/or barrier. Just be aware of space, and don't fight in places you are disadvantaged. Mixing and matching all the tools you have at your disposal is the way to go; sometimes you want to sneak around, sometimes snipe or nuke. You don't need massive investment in onmyo or ninjutsu for them to be useful, so its not like you need to really build for it.

I also have to stress how important the anima system is. Don't think of it as being a gimmick, its actually a fairly substantial departure from the first game because of how it feeds into everything else. Same deal with the Scampuss, its not just a cutesy little npc. They are actually in insanely OP thanks to you being able to have 3 with you at a time, each of which is not only doing damage and draining ki from the target, but its passively regenerating your anima. Allowing you to use more yokai skills to do stuff like inflict elemental or status effects, smash down ki, buff yourself, and of course do damage.

Sorry, don't want to go into too much mind-numbing detail, but the point is that there's a lot more subtlety here than the first games Souls-style combat plus "devil trigger" mega attack. If you try to play Nioh 2 like the first Nioh you will find it more difficult.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

The game starts out difficult (like Nioh 1) but it progressively gets easier once you get familiar with your kit and work towards whatever build you're going for. It's all about how and what way you use the arsenal you have and learning positioning can get you far. Side Missions and Later stages generally had Yokai realms as a side venture, but by then you will get use to it and know what to do. In fact, I think you have more freedom than Nioh 1 in how to approach things once you're familiar with it.

Last edited:

SinDelta

Having a amazingly bad time with the 2nd boss. Several times I get him within range of defeat and he just combos me.

I'm missing the burst counter timing. I counter when he goes all ominous red, but usually he just takes a huge chunk of health off while my counter fails to, well counter.

Does not help when camera goes off position of my character so he can kick me from off screen.

Have light armor for increased stamina.
Have a few things for fire resistance.
Using either life leech or water talisman.

Last edited:

Pejo

Having a amazingly bad time with the 2nd boss. Several times I get him within range of defeat and he just combos me.

Does not help when camera goes off position of my character so he can kick me from off screen.
Something I'm quickly learning about Nioh 2, bosses hinge on the Yokai counter. That's pretty much it. Just dodge and wait for the stupid red flash and then counter them. If it takes their Ki down to nothing, combo like crazy before they get it back, then repeat. I pretty much live in low stance for 90% of boss fights right now just for the better dodge. I'm still not sure if I like it or hate it as a mechanic, but it seems really effective.

Also, don't forget to use your yokai abilities and set them intelligently for what you're fighting. The Gaki one I use for general exploration during stages because it has low cost and speeds up your Amrita gauge by a ton, meaning I get more chances to transform and wreck mini-bosses.

For bosses, the Enki one seems amazing. If they have a horn it seems to hit it nearly every time and does pretty good damage, feels relatively safe compared to the Gozuki one, I've found. I don't have a ton of different yokai souls yet, but I'm enjoying that mechanic quite a bit.

I can't help but feel like they should have slowly introduced all of these mechanics at the beginning though, like one per stage so you have ample time to try it and understand it. A quick 5 min tutorial vs. the weakest enemy in the game is not a good learning tool. Like in the first stage you could have gotten your transformation, second stage could have introduced counter, 3rd stage introduce Yokai souls and so on. The "ultimate" edition of this game hits you with so much stuff right off the bat. Even if you played Nioh 1 there's still way too much frontloaded.

Kamina

Golden Boy

I'm missing the burst counter timing. I counter when he goes all ominous red, but usually he just takes a huge chunk of health off while my counter fails to, well counter.

Maybe you are using the wrong Yokai from for your play-style. The three have a different burst counter timing.
Phantom is the most immediate.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

DLlSfBe.jpg

This doesn't seem right... I only played the first mission last night, but I was getting over 80 fps maxed out at 4K outside of a few really strange dips.

10850k and RTX 3080.

Mozzarella

So where is the outrage from PC users that it was not properly optimized on PC like on consoles? where is the review bombing? how come nobody is making videos about the issues? LOL jk
I know Nioh 2 is not popular and the issues are not like Cyberpunk scale. But still it just shows how a lot of ports are inferior versions.

Armorian Armorian
How does the 3090 score less that Radeon? I thought according to benchmarks its the highest GPU on the market?

So for everybody who got it on PC how does this game perform? is it worth getting? I only played the first one on the PS4.

Pejo

So where is the outrage from PC users that it was not properly optimized on PC like on consoles? where is the review bombing? how come nobody is making videos about the issues? LOL jk
I know Nioh 2 is not popular and the issues are not like Cyberpunk scale. But still it just shows how a lot of ports are inferior versions.

Armorian Armorian
How does the 3090 score less that Radeon? I thought according to benchmarks its the highest GPU on the market?

So for everybody who got it on PC how does this game perform? is it worth getting? I only played the first one on the PS4.
I don't think it's inherently broken like CP2077 was. My character's dick isn't sticking out of his pants and T-posing while vehicles bounce and fly through the sky. The port isn't bad, I just think there are some issues with Nvidia cards right now. I have a 2070Ti and I've had a buttery smooth experience.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

Armorian Armorian

Worked fine for me on a 3070. Maxed out at 1440p, tried the first mission and had constant 60fps.

The issue seems to be related to nvidia cards and the particle effects of the game. That's why the Radeon is performing better right now. I've also seen reports of people able to play the game at 60fps with just a GTX 1070.

SinDelta

6+ hours over 100 deaths and at my absolute wit's end with the 2nd boss.

Just summoned a level 40 guy. Just like everyone else I've summoned to help he died too.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

I leveled up a bit before that boss. I also used some poison. Basically run around him until he flashes red and get down the timing of his attacks. His teleport is the only thing that can really mess you up if you’re low on stamina. Have him bust those pillars for extra damage. It’s like a game of cat and mouse. There’s a couple of bosses that make him look like a cake walk. Congrats on beating him.

I use the Steel talisman and the Barrier talisman a lot. There’s also a ninjitsu item to increase strength. I couldn’t rely on Sloth unless I memorized their attack patterns. It’s a good “get me out of jail” card when you’re in a small room fighting an enemy.

Last edited:
6+ hours over 100 deaths and at my absolute wit's end with the 2nd boss.

Just summoned a level 40 guy. Just like everyone else I've summoned to help he died too.
The fire dude? He's a royal pain for beginners, but definitely not the worst to come. Funnily enough, my wife just had a lvl 40 with her for that boss (on her nth attempt) and he got wiped out pretty quick, too. The very next attempt, she beat the boss solo. Lol

Last edited:

SinDelta

Just beat him. Since I kept getting killed when going in for the finishing blow I just shot him full of arrows.

I am so happy.

Thank you all for the advice.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Enenra's only difficult because his room is fairly small, and he's (obviously) resistant to fire. Water and Lightning elements work great though, poison isn't so useful though because you don't have time and space to DoT effectively.

Easiest way is to apply corruption with a Yokai weapon and hit him with ice/water magic or ninjutsu. Like all Yokai bosses confusion status (having 2 elemental effects applied at the same time) makes him a lot more manageable.

Last edited:

Valkyria

Banned
I'm having an issue with upgraded Ps5 version. I own the PS4 disc and the DLC. I download the Ps5 upgrade and them proceed to delete de PS4 version. But in the end the Ps4 version is installed again when I turn on the console again. I thought the last Ps5 update eliminated this issue. Anyone with any input on the problem?

Last edited:

Pejo

Played through all of the missions and side missions in chapter 1 today, then just eased out the evening helping randoms out in co-op, had a really great time except the level that you have to guide the kodama/sudoma back to the shrine, fuck that level. Hosts don't seem to understand that you need to drop something for the little purple guys, so they just keep talking to it then running away, and you can't complete the level that way, so I just suicide out of those hosts lol.

I definitely see what you guys were saying, it gets way easier after you unlock some skill trees. I bought myself Barrier talisman as suggested above, it made life so much easier in yokai realms. I've also gotten significantly better at timing presses/holds for splitstaff, and absolutely love the weapon now. Out of anything I've played, it's by far the best for capitalizing on yokai with their ki depleted.

I haven't found any of the bosses particularly difficult yet, but man do I have trouble with those 1 legged hammer demons. I end up just lobbing hatchets at them while strafing backwards most of the time. The snake girls are annoying, but they have yet to have killed me. Can't wait to get more time into the game, but I need some rest. GotY for me so far.

YukiOnna

I haven't found any of the bosses particularly difficult yet, but man do I have trouble with those 1 legged hammer demons. I end up just lobbing hatchets at them while strafing backwards most of the time. The snake girls are annoying, but they have yet to have killed me. Can't wait to get more time into the game, but I need some rest. GotY for me so far.
Wait till you get to the DLC Yokai mobs that are practically mini-bosses. They fuck you up, but they are fun.

GymWolf

I don't think it's inherently broken like CP2077 was. My character's dick isn't sticking out of his pants and T-posing while vehicles bounce and fly through the sky. The port isn't bad, I just think there are some issues with Nvidia cards right now. I have a 2070Ti and I've had a buttery smooth experience.
cyberpunk protagonist just has that big dick energy and he's not shy about it.

Top Bottom