• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh 2 |OT| Yippee-Ki-Yokai (or Die HARD)

DrDamn

Played a bit last night. Loved the first one but this seems frustratingly hard.

Ignore the first big mob, you can skirt round them, then once you are past the first Yokai things get easier. If you are having problems with the Yokai bring in some help. You can get ochoko cups fighting easy revenants or offering crap weapons at the shrine for rice and buying them in the bazaar.

Isa

The game is superb. Does anyone know what the stat is for getting your beast back randomly after death. Is it luck?
I once had a piece of equipment that got it back about 1/10 of the time but I have no idea what that was, and googling wasn't a help.

I believe its a perk/skill/stat thing on some gear called Auto Grave Recovery iirc but I could be wrong. I've had it on some gear and it can stack its percentage chance which is nice, I was using it a great deal until I switched to different gear for set bonuses.

TheTurboFD

What weapons is everyone running? I run the Odachi for high stance heavy attacks and when I need to move fast I quick switch to Kursarigama in low stance.

tassletine

I believe its a perk/skill/stat thing on some gear called Auto Grave Recovery iirc but I could be wrong. I've had it on some gear and it can stack its percentage chance which is nice, I was using it a great deal until I switched to different gear for set bonuses.

I found it. It's on one of the soul cores.

Now I'm stuck on the bloody snake boss. I may give up here as I'm really levelled up and doing little damage.

I'm annoyed as I didn't know this game was going to turn into bloody monster hunter. I enjoy reaction based fighting, not bosses that try and bore you to death, I had enough of that with Sekiro.
I'm a bit annoyed as I was loving the game.

Edit.

Actually, it doesn't seem to be on the core either. Damn this cryptic game!

I have found out a good tip for the snake though that I haven't seen mentioned, so I'll carry on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Spent a lot more time with it and my position has changed quite a bit. It's no longer the disappointment I was feeling at the beginning. I think the biggest thing was to have the Yokai abilities that I actually liked. I also now better understand and appreciate the tradeoff in the dark zones where you're trading stamina for being almost able to spam Yokai abilities due to how quickly you accumulate Anima. I think there's a good chance that a lot of you know which Yokai abilitiy that I'm enjoying using and I'm unrepentantly abusing it right now. I highly suspect that they're going to nerf it in the near future.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The game is superb. Does anyone know what the stat is for getting your beast back randomly after death. Is it luck?
I once had a piece of equipment that got it back about 1/10 of the time but I have no idea what that was, and googling wasn't a help.

Not sure if I know, but I know the blade shines on the loading screen and it’s back. I always thought it came back if you died too many times. Your Amirite is all gone though. Maybe I’m confused with something else.

I really like the monster designs in this. Sure, there’s a few familiar things, but it’s gotten better. The devil lady in the 4th area with a knifeYamanba is the monsters name.

Shinra94

Neo Member
Does the game ever get surprising or switch it up a bit? I'm just about done with region 2 and everything just feels EXACTLY like Nioh 1. Feels more like a mission pack than a sequel. Getting a bit jaded with the samey-ness of it. :messenger_sad_relieved: There's only so much Gaki you can keep killing alongside Enkis.

splattered

Man I REALLY want to pick this up but not sure whether to get physical vanilla edition or digital deluxe... i'm reading lots and lots of more "meh" type impressions and complaints though, maybe I will wait for some balance patching or something? I dunno

I've torn through Dark Souls 1-3 and Bloodborn and Nioh but I see a lot of people complaining about Nioh 2... wondering how it ranks among all the other similar titles.

isual

enjoying it so far - but with grad school, personal books to read and trying to live healthy, it is very much nioh 1.75 for me.

i've reached 'way of the nioh' in the first game, and my experience so far carries over to this game.

i'm not too fond of the yokai realm - but that's something they needed to implement so that nioh 2 doesn't just become a nioh 1.5.

sloth talismans are useful and helps a lot, also barrier talismans too. axe is still king in damage per hit, KI, and breaking down defenses.

can't wait for the DLC and for the next higher difficulties to unlock that comes with it. if anything, nioh 2 will have 5 difficulties.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Man I REALLY want to pick this up but not sure whether to get physical vanilla edition or digital deluxe... i'm reading lots and lots of more "meh" type impressions and complaints though, maybe I will wait for some balance patching or something? I dunno

I've torn through Dark Souls 1-3 and Bloodborn and Nioh but I see a lot of people complaining about Nioh 2... wondering how it ranks among all the other similar titles.

Nioh mitigates its difficulty through its wide variety of systems and mechanics as much as old fashioned "git gud" at playing. The end result being that the initial learning curve is pretty steep, the bosses particularly can pose a significant difficulty in progressing.

Get past these initial hurdles and things get a lot smoother, although at no point will the game lack challenge for even the most skilled of players.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

I like it a lot more than NiOh 1. I would say there’s nothing wrong with it. Sure, you could find complaints from people who know their stuff. If you’re looking for a game to continue the FromSoftware game design approach then I believe there’s nothing directly wrong with NiOh 2. There are similar monsters on each map, but I really enjoy the level design in NiOh 2. I like the level design more than the original. Honestly, I’d stick to the vanilla version in case you find a handful of issues with it. I have honestly enjoyed NiOh 2, but I took a break from it for DOOM. I do plan on going back. Code Vein was a great game IMO even with its issues.

I will say the same type of monsters was an issue with Code Vein too. It throws a wild card in there once in a while. A new enemy appears or something else gets added. I won’t say NiOh2 is perfect, but I am not regretting my purchase.

Last edited:

JTCx

Nioh 2 is just flatout better than Nioh. The added burst counters and soul core is just great. Nioh 2 is just a more refined version of Nioh. Better pacing, bosses, enemies, refined system mechanics, new weapons, etc. Overall it isnt too different in terms of structure. Just more Nioh goodness.

Last edited:

bronk

Banned
Here is the best Nioh player on the planet! I found him when I was having trouble with Nioh 1. I did not understand how to use stance switching and other aspects of combat. I was playing it more like a Souls game. Inspirational just watching XLH play.

This mofo is playing Ninja Gaiden.

Here is the best Nioh player on the planet! I found him when I was having trouble with Nioh 1. I did not understand how to use stance switching and other aspects of combat. I was playing it more like a Souls game. Inspirational just watching XLH play.

This guy is on another level he may as well be playing a different game. Gonna check out more of his content.

I wish the Japanese would be more enthusiastic with their history and culture. Sometimes seems they shy away or like Europeans (Germany etc) have been guilt tripped into hiding it or being ashamed? Like, who doesnt love samurai and ninjas? Im sure its like the one thing the entire planet would agree is straight up bad ass-ery.

Oh, I really want some Samurai Jack character models/skins DLC for this game.

bronk

Banned
otb8iDh.jpg

Amazon Nioh 2 review haha. Thanks for the heads up bro.

NT80

He's the one that really opened my eyes to how amazing Nioh could be in the original Nioh 1 Alpha. That was one of the hardest versions of the game but he was pulling off some amazing things, especially with the sword draw. Some of that got toned down by final release.

Kamina

Golden Boy
I am really torn. On one hand i am really interested in playing the Switchglaive. On the other i am preferring the traditional Japanese weaponry.
The switchglaive scaling of magic doesn’t make the decision any easier.

Any1 got op switchglaive builds?
Ckeck youtube by searching Swichglaive midgame build. I saw some insane stuff.

Last edited:

Mriverz

I am really torn. On one hand i am really interested in playing the Switchglaive. On the other i am preferring the traditional Japanese weaponry.
The switchglaive scaling of magic doesn’t make the decision any easier.

S.g is so much fun! I put the change stances on the r2 and the combos/ changing are so fluid. Havnt gotten any magic yet though just started.

Kamina

Golden Boy
S.g is so much fun! I put the change stances on the r2 and the combos/ changing are so fluid. Havnt gotten any magic yet though just started.
Yeah i might give it a go.

Check out the youtube channel RPG Devision, he has many builds, early to late game.

The Shepard

Finally completed the game x2 and got the platinum, was excellent, loved every second of it, my fave soulsborne game of this gen.

Last edited:

iHaunter

I liked the first one overall, but I HATE the mission style of this game. It takes all the immersion out of it IMHO.

Shinra94

Neo Member
Anyone know a good levelling spot on NG? I'm on the final mission at lv 110 and my ninjitsu just doesn't melt faces in the way I was expecting it to even though it's at level 60! Bigger Yokai can take 5 or so kunai and I only have like 10! Obviously have the shurikens and some other bits, but they don't hit hard. Got full Fuma gear and tempered in all the buffs I could. Are all classes just weaker overall than before?

I was trying the twilight with the owl boss (prison island) over and over, but you don't get enough xp for the effort.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Watchin that Dunkey video... damn, he really doesn't get how all new Yokai systems interllnk and make all the difference in the combat.

You need to know when and how to use the burst counter, how powerful certain yokai skills are as straight attacks and as critical counters, and most of all how to maintain and replenish anima. Scampuss' aren't just cute companions that do a bit of extra damage, their primary use is as anima batteries allowing you to really abuse your yokai powers.

It took me awhile to figure out why playing the game in the same way as the first Nioh was so ineffective, but once I realized that all the new systems are connected to one-another, it got a lot easier.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Watchin that Dunkey video... damn, he really doesn't get how all new Yokai systems interllnk and make all the difference in the combat.

You need to know when and how to use the burst counter, how powerful certain yokai skills are as straight attacks and as critical counters, and most of all how to maintain and replenish anima. Scampuss' aren't just cute companions that do a bit of extra damage, their primary use is as anima batteries allowing you to really abuse your yokai powers.

It took me awhile to figure out why playing the game in the same way as the first Nioh was so ineffective, but once I realized that all the new systems are connected to one-another, it got a lot easier.
For sure. People should just laugh. He's not very good at the game, clearly lol.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I'm using the Lord's Tonfa and an Odachi from now on. Are the levels accurate for each mission? I notice you can go in a couple levels under (eg: 43 and the recommended is 50). Gear > Level? I finished Mission 7 due to other games, but I'm riding that slow burn on this. More enjoyable that way IMO.

Last edited:

Azaroth

How is a person supposed to know any of this? I’ve been playing with a couple friends, were towards the end of the second map area, and the Yokai abilities feel completely underwhelming. The tutorials related to Yokai stuff are so dead simple and teach you almost nothing. And yeah, the cat feels like a little thing that is cute and takes off tiny amounts of health for a few minutes. If there’s more to it than that, I have no idea how anyone would know that.

TheTurboFD

Bro I dont even know this lmao

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I found these awesome Tonfas, but is my build ass? I’m doing just fine. I just wonder if I’m creating a disaster at this point.
HlVXR2c.jpg

bronk

Banned
Once you start getting good you really feel like a bad ass. Been using Regular sword and Odachi. Probably my favorite game so far this year.

Shinra94

Neo Member
Took until NG+ to realize that my dex 65 build was good for more than just ninjitsu! I was pairing with mid-stance odachi with 20 in that stat and felt like I was hitting with a bread stick! Switched to high-stance kusa and it scales with the dex and shatters everything... :messenger_grinning:

Amaranty

I'm almost at the end of my first playthrough and for some reason I enjoyed the first game more. Throughout the whole game I have had the urge to compare it to Sekiro. Although they are both quite different games, I still can't shake off the feeling that having so many weapons and skills actually hampers the gameplay. You only have one melee weapon in Sekiro and only a handful of skills that you can use, but the combat was so well done since devs only had to focus enemy design around your only melee weapon and small moveset. You can't take the same approach in Nioh unfortunately.

Last edited:

Shinra94

Neo Member
I couldn't get on with Sekiro. Felt like you had to take it on one way and no other. I just lost interest at the point where there's monks and a monastery. Nioh for it's bloat does at least cater to every play style under the sun. I'm crap and got through it solo. :messenger_dizzy:

iHaunter

I really wanted to like the first Nioh, but the whole mission styles really breaks any kind of immersion for me.

draliko

Guys may I ask a quick question? How mp works in nioh 2? A la souls or similar to nioh1? I mean do I have to complete a level before asking for help or I can summon "freely"? Sorry if I didn't explain myself so well, not a native speaker.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Guys may I ask a quick question? How mp works in nioh 2? A la souls or similar to nioh1? I mean do I have to complete a level before asking for help or I can summon "freely"? Sorry if I didn't explain myself so well, not a native speaker.

You can always ask for help. The only restriction is you cant get invited to play a mission you have yet to unlock.

draliko

You can always ask for help. The only restriction is you cant get invited to play a mission you have yet to unlock.
Thanks, I was a bit on the fence after playing sekiro (I didn't enjoyed it and abandoned it pretty soon) and surge 2 (I'm really liking it, very fun to play), so before committing to another souls like it's nice knowing I could find a bit of help if needed :)

Top Bottom