• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo & Sony : next gen console together - just do it

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Nintendo coming out and mentioning in the investors meeting that they will be looking more into M&A's, this could come true in some way with Sony you never know.

Iwata said that the current market for home consoles simply isn't very profitable anymore for them. Why not join up with Sony who is accustomed to losing tons on their consoles while making some back with software? Then Nintendo would be a lot more free to make cash in other ways like that QOL *thing*.

The QOL strategy by Nintendo might just be a trick on words for an excuse to release their new console invention early to offset the damage the Wiii U has caused, ala the DS experiment that ended up taking over the traditional handheld space that the Gameboy brand was using.
It's really hard to tell with Nintendo since they like to do the unpredictable.

Taker666

I'd be fine with it..provided Sony drop their online subscription fees. If not I'd sooner Nintendo kept to their own hardware.

Drek

Why would they make a console together when Nintendo could just make software for the Sony Console? Wouldn't that just be easier?

That would also be the only way this would ever happen.

Why would Sony enter a partnership with Nintendo, implying a split on software royalties, when Nintendo does nothing to help bring in or move 3rd party software? They aren't even a lock to help move more systems, as the PS1 and PS2 did just fine with zero help from Nintendo's software library and the last few years the PS3 has been doing well globally.

Nintendo doesn't offer enough as a partner to make this idea even remotely feasible. I could see a deal where they bring titles to the PlayStation family of platforms with no royalties attached as part of an exclusivity arrangement, but not a scenario where Sony would share royalties with Nintendo from 3rd parties in any way since that's all Sony's pie right now and Nintendo won't grow it.

J-Rzez

I agree it would be wise of ninty to join Sony. Ninty can just focus on software and call it a day, since they are incapable of understanding the hardware and online structure gamers want. This would obviously bolster Sony to new heights, and would be wise of them to let the past go. Sony's handheld business would prosper, and honestly it would transition them into the without a doubt status of being the king of consoles.

One negative effect would be MS getting completely crushed. But a positive could be that there would be an opening in the console market for a more competent, more liked competitor to enter possibly. And the only reason I say possibly is that to be honest, a Sony/ninty venture or absorption would be an intimidating force to overcome, possibly unstoppable.

Fredrik

It's a novel thought but lol it's never gonna happen, only reason Sony would do that is if they could somehow backstab Nintendo in the middle of the collaboration like Nintendo did with Sony, just to get even.

KillGore

I agree it would be wise of ninty to join Sony. Ninty can just focus on software and call it a day, since they are incapable of understanding the hardware and online structure gamers want. This would obviously bolster Sony to new heights, and would be wise of them to let the past go. Sony's handheld business would prosper, and honestly it would transition them into the without a doubt status of being the king of consoles.

One negative effect would be MS getting completely crushed. But a positive could be that there would be an opening in the console market for a more competent, more liked competitor to enter possibly. And the only reason I say possibly is that to be honest, a Sony/ninty venture or absorption would be an intimidating force to overcome, possibly unstoppable.

Samsung. Believe.

But we all know the only one that can enter such a bloodbath would be Apple.

Sponge

Banned
I wish! Nintendo and Sony together would honestly be perfect.

Dunno how Smash Brothers would work though. I doubt we'd have characters from Killzone and Twisted Metal alongside Kirby and Pokemon. That just doesn't seem like a smart move.

PaRappa and Sir Dan would fit perfectly though. Maybe they could do a Nintendo vs Sony kind of Smash Bros. Kinda like how the Capcom vs series works.

Urko

Neo Member
Laughable idea. Nothing in it for Nintendo. Nintendo wouldn't give up the profits they make from their handheld hardware when they just trounced Sony yet again.

J-Rzez

Samsung. Believe.

But we all know the only one that can enter such a bloodbath would be Apple.

Samsung would have the capital to throw around, that's for sure, and I've said before that if MS would bail out of this market, or ninty, I think they maybe the first to try and break into it. They would have the monies, perhaps the tech, but it would be interesting to see how they'd tackle the software side besides throwing money to buy studios I guess.

Apple could enter, and carve a niche, but outside of that, I don't think they'd be able to walk in and directly compete. A great console with established online and content delivery, with Sony and ninty games? A hardware designer that can compete with Apple's aesthetics? I think this would be a hellacious battle for them to overcome.

There is no evidence to back that up.

I beg to differ.

facesofevil.jpg

Urko

Neo Member
How about no. Why give them a second chance to fuck them over?

People actually think corporations hold grudges? Sony would jump at the chance to have Nintendo games on their system. Business are about making money. No one gives a fuck about what happened 20 years ago.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
It will never happen due to the bad blood between companies over the failed partnership for the SNES add-on.

It would be great for gamers though. Having Sony and Nintendo first party games all on one console would be fantastic. And it would be great having Nintendo franchises on true next gen hardware for the first time since the GC.

Even better would be to have Sony handle the console and Nintendo the portable since that's each of their respective market strengths.

But it's a pipe dream. I lean more toward just doing without Nintendo after the 3DS and Wii U myself, as it's just to a point of not being worth buying their hardware for the 10 or so first party games a generation from them that personally interest me.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
With Nintendo coming out and mentioning in the investors meeting that they will be looking more into M&A's, this could come true in some way with Sony you never know.

Iwata said that the current market for home consoles simply isn't very profitable anymore for them. Why not join up with Sony who is accustomed to losing tons on their consoles while making some back with software? Then Nintendo would be a lot more free to make cash in other ways like that QOL *thing*.

The QOL strategy by Nintendo might just be a trick on words for an excuse to release their new console invention early to offset the damage the Wiii U has caused, ala the DS experiment that ended up taking over the traditional handheld space that the Gameboy brand was using.
It's really hard to tell with Nintendo since they like to do the unpredictable.

rHbJHhe.gif

Yaoibot

Eecch, no! What a ghastly idea. Mario and Co. need to be quarantined off and contained within the walls of their own hardware. I have a DS and 3DS but not a single piece of 1st party software for any of them aside from FE. Different strokes for different folks. Nintendo's mascots and IPs do absolutely nothing for me. And let's face it, they make rubbish hardware. People only tolerate it for the games.

It will never happen due to the bad blood between companies over the failed partnership for the SNES add-on.

It would be great for gamers though. Having Sony and Nintendo first party games all on one console would be fantastic. And it would be great having Nintendo franchises on true next gen hardware for the first time since the GC.

Even better would be to have Sony handle the console and Nintendo the portable since that's each of their respective market strengths.

But it's a pipe dream. I lean more toward just doing without Nintendo after the 3DS and Wii U myself, as it's just to a point of not being worth buying their hardware for the 10 or so first party games a generation from them that personally interest me.

Corporations aren't people, my friend. Most of the people that were really involved in that bad blood (Ohga, Kutaragi and Yamauchi) are retired or deceased, so I doubt there's much bad blood between the two these days.

Anyway, I can't remember if I commented in this thread when it first popped up but the idea of Nintendo being involved in the development of a Sony system, console or handheld, makes me shudder. I don't want them touching the hardware, operating system, online network, controller or anything really. Games and peripherals would be fine but I'd prefer it if Sony's systems didn't go backwards.

Nintendo should simply sign with Sony an exclusive publishing contract for their games on Playstation, for a lot of money. Pratically become an "independent second party".

I have no problem with that. Nintendo games benefitting from decent hardware upgrade and Sony benefitting from gaining incredible first party games.

Never going to happen. The guys at Nintendo want to get out of gaming, not get further entrenched.

Iwata and pals got a taste of mega profits with the Wii/DS, selling high margin stuff to an expanded crowd at furious pace. Once you get accustomed to making billions, you won't settle for mere millions. That's the reason he's going after this health/lifestyle market, because it is much, much more lucrative than AAA games. Only problem is that his company won't be able to compete even in the slightest fashion, and he will burn through all their cash trying to. But it's nice to want things I guess.

Eecch, no! What a ghastly idea. Mario and Co. need to be quarantined off and contained within the walls of their own hardware. I have a DS and 3DS but not a single piece of 1st party software for any of them aside from FE. Different strokes for different folks. Nintendo's mascots and IPs do absolutely nothing for me. And let's face it, they make rubbish hardware. People only tolerate it for the games.

Games(Nintendo) + Hardware(Sony) = this threads suggestion.

I'd be very interested in seeing this done, but I don't ever see it happening.

desbrisay

Neo Member
All I want are Nintendo games.

I don't care what platform I play them on. And they can keep their peripherals too. I say this with love.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
As long as Nintendo stays the Hell away from anything involving the hardware, the OS and the online services and sticks exclusively to making games, then sure, why not.

I never understood this Sony + Nintendo fantasies. If any two consoles need to have a baby it's PlayStation and Xbox. They're basically two different shades of the same color.

neptunes

couldn't see this happening, their philosophies are completely different, I am almost certain their respective hierarchies and approaches to software would not complement each other well.

IvorB

Oh god please no. Sony is doing just fine on all fronts without Nintendo. Keep Nintendo out of my Sony please. For the love of god.

ShadyJ

Nintendo runs the handheld division.
Sony runs the console division.

Megaton.

All them IPs under one roof. One Japanese company to rule them all..

Would be great, but won't happen. If nintendo did stop making consoles why wouldn't they just have their games on both consoles? Their library is way to big to just move to all Sony exclusives. My biggest fear would be them selling the exclusive rights to their games on a title by title basis. But either way I don't see them leaving the console market, I think they need to refocus and realize where their market is and move away from the gimmicks.

I beg to differ.

That's irrelevant because Nintendo didn't develop that. It's just their IP licensed to another developer. Nintendo could make games of the same or better quality on something like the PS4. The reason they can make something like 3D World look so nice on hardware as underpowered (comparatively to PS4 and XBO) as the Wii U is because they're developing for one system. That's why you don't see multiplatform games that look as nice as Halo 4 or The Last Of Us. They're focusing on one piece of hardware. Now imagine what Nintendo could do with the most powerful console hardware this generation by using the PS4.

Oh god please no. Sony is doing just fine on all fronts without Nintendo. Keep Nintendo out of my Sony please. For the love of god.

I'm thinking more of Nintendo being a big second party studio like Japan Studio. Sony already has the hardware and their sales have practically passed the Wii U's already. If Nintendo said at E3 "This fall, we're going to start developing for Sony's PS4, starting with our new Zelda title" you're telling me that wouldn't be a great business move for both of them in the long run? Yeah their stock will take a hit at the start, but the fact that they no longer have to manage home console hardware would save them a ton of money.

FiggyCal

Banned
Imagine Nintendo games that ran on better hardware. That's all it is. It wouldn't be the downfall of Nintendo - it would just be that Nintendo had more funds available to make software- rather than being preoccupied developing the hardware.

Yonafunu

I recall reading that the reason the SNES-CD didn't work out was because Sony basically wanted control over the entire thing, to which Nintendo said "fuck no" and went to Philips.
I don't see them going at it again.

Yaoibot

Games(Nintendo) + Hardware(Sony) = this threads suggestion.

I'd be very interested in seeing this done, but I don't ever see it happening.

I addressed that. Not everyone - including me - likes Nintendo's IPs. So that's a no-no to the idea right off the bat. Also I just don't see the two every working together as they have diametrically opposed views on hardware. It wouldn't be as simple as Sony - hardware - and Nintendo - software. They each have their own engineers and studios with differing philosophies. It would never work and it would be a disaster. Commercially and otherwise.

IvorB

That's irrelevant because Nintendo didn't develop that. It's just their IP licensed to another developer. Nintendo could make games of the same or better quality on something like the PS4. The reason they can make something like 3D World look so nice on hardware as underpowered (comparatively to PS4 and XBO) as the Wii U is because they're developing for one system. That's why you don't see multiplatform games that look as nice as Halo 4 or The Last Of Us. They're focusing on one piece of hardware. Now imagine what Nintendo could do with the most powerful console hardware this generation by using the PS4.

I'm thinking more of Nintendo being a big second party studio like Japan Studio. Sony already has the hardware and their sales have practically passed the Wii U's already. If Nintendo said at E3 "This fall, we're going to start developing for Sony's PS4, starting with our new Zelda title" you're telling me that wouldn't be a great business move for both of them in the long run? Yeah their stock will take a hit at the start, but the fact that they no longer have to manage home console hardware would save them a ton of money.

You mean just releasing games for PS4? Yeah why not? The more games the better. But that's as far as it needs to go.

I don't really know how great of a business decision that would be though...

RELIGHT

Banned
From a gaming standpoint I can understand it but it wouldn't make sense for Sony from a business standpoint given the negativity Nintendo has garnered this gen. I mean let's be honest here, the only benefit Sony would get would be less than a handful of franchises that some consider well past their prime.

Salex_

Nintendo runs the handheld division.
Sony runs the console division.

Megaton.

All them IPs under one roof. One Japanese company to rule them all..

Sounds good to me. I don't understand why people are so scared of this. I wonder if people seriously think Sony is going to try to control what they do? They would have all the freedom in the world and get treated even better than Japan Studios (they skipped pretty much the entire last gen), David Cage's team (his team makes risky creative new IPs all the time), and Naughty Dog.

Nintendo will have a huge console install base to work with filled with people who are willing to pay $60 for their quality retail games. They'll still have the 3DS on the side as well. Nintendo is also looking into other departments with their IPs, so they'll have more money making opportunities.

reezoo

Sony should just offer some share on hardware side for ps4 and get all ninty games as exclusive (MS can do same for xbone).This will settle next gen war pretty quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom