• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Generation Xbox early details have leaked - Release planned for 2028, Cloud-Hybrid games, Looking into the possibility of switching to ARM

Audiophile

If MS stick with this, putting out a revised system with the same performance at $499 and digital-only w/ no disc drive; while Sony put out a Pro at roughly the same price, a "Slim" a good bit cheaper & maintain the option of discs (perhaps in the form of a universal, slot-in add-on drive for both new systems). Then Sony will garner considerable good will from the gaming community.

Kokoloko85

I'm 50/50 when it comes to online only. Enjoyed both The Crew and The Division. You get some shit maintenance here and there but overall it's good. It all depends on the game.
I dont mind it for a few games. But overall would prefer an offline mode. A whole console/platform where everything would have to be always online would suck

lmao remember when the xBone was centered around cable television everyone hated, came bundled with an always-on camera nobody wanted, and tried to limit physical game sharing? I'm getting those vibes again

Senua

lmao remember when the xBone was centered around cable television everyone hated, came bundled with an always-on camera nobody wanted, and tried to limit physical game sharing? I'm getting those vibes again
They were just ahead of their time tbh lol

Reactions: Isa

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
This stuff is interesting, but a lot of it is pretty old documents, considering that "game release" doc is from FY2020.

So I wouldn't count on all of this stuff coming true.

Sony is so solid at just producing awesome hardware that I find it more interesting that MS is trying something new.

But in the end the cloud/hybrid shit will probably not work well, so they better put a powerful ARM processor in that next machine if that's the direction they are going.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

No matter how good it is, there is always going to be a performance loss, and that’s bad for gaming especially when you consider that the hardware is already relatively weak.

Their ARM efforts are very poor so far, especially compared to Apple… now, if Apple said this I’d be more excited, but hopefully they stick to AMD.
A performance costs vs native hardware compatibility, but that doesn't matter if it still can be played at the games targeted framerate.

IntentionalPun

No matter how good it is, there is always going to be a performance loss, and that’s bad for gaming especially when you consider that the hardware is already relatively weak.

Their ARM efforts are very poor so far, especially compared to Apple… now, if Apple said this I’d be more excited, but hopefully they stick to AMD.
It's only a perf lost relative to a native ARM version running on the same hardware.

You can increase perf compared to Xbox Series X w/ emulation on a competent ARM CPU. Keep in mind much of the work is done by the GPU anyways, not like they have to do full DirectX emulation like they have to on Apple hardware.

The real question is whether they can get away with nearly "Full BC" w/ a setup like that, or if it will have to be selective w/ games like the Xbox 360 emu on the Xbox One.

Last edited:

Bry0

Fake.

There is virtually no reason to go with a balance of big.little cores for a CPU of a non-mobile platform that doesn't have to run off battery power.
Tell Microsoft their slides are fake then, lol. Also tell intel their pc architecture is wrong I guess.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

No? Oh. I thought they were trying to implement something like that. I know DLSS itself is not an online/cloud based thing. So... better keep our consoles... home consoles. :p
Massive server farms are used to develop the "data models" that help DLSS run, and those servers are maybe in the cloud... But those data models are downloaded to your machine locally, so that would have nothing to do with a "hybrid console" design.

Massive server farms are used to develop the "data models" that help DLSS run, and those servers are maybe in the cloud... But those data models are downloaded to your machine locally, so that would have nothing to do with a "hybrid console" design.
Yeah I know, so in this case they're basically coming back with the 'games running on the cloud with better framerates, better physics and so on' stuff?

Tell Microsoft their slides are fake then, lol. Also tell intel their pc architecture is wrong I guess.

These slides are alleged to be from a leak. They could be a plant.

Also, Intel doesn't supply CPUs to any console. Big.little cores on a discrete CPU sold into markets where power consumption matters (e.g. data centres) makes sense. For a console, it doesn't.

It different kind of brain or think space for computer box. Apple computer box recently now Arm brain, no more intel. It very successful.

Computer box need stories to be written in different words for Arm brain to understand quickly but it still understand stories written for other brains with help but it take longer which mean slower flashing on light box.

😂😂😂

IntentionalPun

These slides are alleged to be from a leak. They could be a plant.

Also, Intel doesn't supply CPUs to any console. Big.little cores on a discrete CPU sold into markets where power consumption matters (e.g. data centres) makes sense. For a console, it doesn't.
Power consumption matters for home consoles as well though. They are all targeting lower power consumption if possible. Less heat, greater reliability, more compact designs...

MS uploaded these documents as part of a legal process BTW, this isn't some typical "leak."

PeteBull

If next gen xbox launches holiday 2028 and ps5pr0 launches in a year that means sony machine will have clear power advantage for 2nd half of the gen- 4 long years, its gonna be a bloodbath for MS :p

Banjo64

cumsessed
Couldn't ms sue the ftc for all of these confidential docs? This could cost them damages that are hard to quantify.
Microsoft have released this information themselves, which makes it infinitely more funny.

Maybe they should sue themselves?

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I don't know how much he knows but he's credible. Maybe his info is outdated.

Earlier than 2028... earlier than PS6... that's also what HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 said here a few times before. After all plans do change.
Interesting that Kepler is hearing that as some have laughed at me for saying Xbox was thinking about jump starting the next gen much earlier than the PS6

Apple will come with, what ? M5 or 6... I just can't wait to see MS crush by Apple's ARM tech! It's gonna be good, especially watching Digital Foundry crying!

And no, ARM Is not the furtur, it is very real right now... on Apple side at least!

Chittagong

Gold Member
image.png

Safety & Toxicity

MEGATON

RIP PS6 & Switch 2, MS wins next gen

Top Bottom