• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

scalman

Tried gts now couple cars and how bad it looks cockpit at least R33 maybe not that bad but subaru wrx is just terrible bad looking cockpit and so many weird shadows that doesnt let you see rev numbers at all. So bad.
Then ran horizon 3 and thats where cockpits looks great with real time shadows that changes real time with you turning the car.

scalman

how come ? how many people do moding stuff around world and now many time they have for that vs how many devs have time for game .
and how rain looks in there doesnt matter at all, more important is it dynamic from sky , does it make puddles of water on track, does it changes your car handling and such .... just visual thing is nothing rly, its just nice to look in pic and video when you not playing game. most time when you trying to play mods they just boring no matter how good that looks.

Last edited:

FukuDaruma

how come ? how many people do moding stuff around world and now many time they have for that vs how many devs have time for game .
and how rain looks in there doesnt matter at all, more important is it dynamic from sky , does it make puddles of water on track, does it changes your car handling and such .... just visual thing is nothing rly, its just nice to look in pic and video when you not playing game. most time when you trying to play mods they just boring no matter how good that looks.

This is all ONE guy, at home, without the source code or the devs tools. The original developers thought it would not be possible to do any of the features he's making for the game.

And yes, ALL the things you listed are featured in this new rain system, of course it's not "just visual thing".

scalman

AC still has for me best model of mclaren P1 and best inide cockpit of it and best sound that i ever heard in any racing game that has this car in. and now i need to try it with all those new mods. i didint liked that much new ACC , so maybe i need to go back to AC

Senua

WwMmjV6.jpg

Sebmugi

Those pictures look amazing apart from the drivers shoes in the last pic haha
yes the zones with fot contrasts seem to suffer a little in photo mode. ^^
I don't remember this game having raytracing, or just in photo mode?
even in photo mode and on XSX it does not seem to me that the RT is activated .. I think it is only SSR ;)

I will post some gameplay :messenger_beermugs:

Last edited:

benzy

This is all ONE guy, at home, without the source code or the devs tools. The original developers thought it would not be possible to do any of the features he's making for the game.

And yes, ALL the things you listed are featured in this new rain system, of course it's not "just visual thing".

Amazing, I supported him on patreon.

Also, guess what game this is, still a looker. :p

AZxm8Ag.gif

SFC7R8R.gif

HOLY SHIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 fucking guy did that ?!

Mostly, he's worked with a few others on some features but X4fab does the vast majority of stuff on his own. He has basically re-written Assetto Corsa. Steffano, the dev that originally coded the game, describes the game's code as being "raped beyond all recognition".

Take a look at some of the stuff he's been able to add to the game; Complete lighting overhaul, Volumetrics, HBAO+, TAA, motion blur, SSGI, Day/Night cycle, variable weather, all those rain effects you see, procedurally generated grass, new AI behavior... the list is absolutely massive. Here's 4 screens of some of those settings and the detail they go into - look at the size of the tab list on the left, note that there's scroll bars, I can't even fit all the additional features on one screen, and then take note that actually, there's more tabs up at the top left which open up as many settings as you see here. Crazy!

9urB4K2.jpg

MIKQwiR.jpg

vG2JXkE.jpg
H6JDrLc.jpg

scalman

GTS on PS5 , no patch just support , so same 4k/60fps as Ps4 Pro just much faster load times. wonder if devs will even bother with special PS5 patch for this game, maybe add 120fps mode for ps5 until GT7 comes out

is this next gen then ?

some thingss looks good there like mud and water effects i guess but then that flat cockpit and bad shadows inside doesnt compare to Horizon 4 at all even 3rd part for that matter.

Last edited:

scalman

XSX takes old game goes up to 4k just stays on locked 30fps, and adds auto HDR . looks like great console to replay those older racing games that wasnt released on pc. even better for those older games to choose cheaper $300 series S model.

for me though Forza 7 still best gran tursimo game to this day, GT i mean my style of buying cars , no online just offline events for me thank you. maybe GT7 will fix that though and become real GT game that i wanted, as GTS i play only arcade events nothing more there. so like using only small portion of game.

GTS VR new car, imagine how much better GT7 on PS5 Vr will look...

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
gts on ps pro has 1800checerboard resolution with blurry antialiasing as far as I know.
native 4k would be much better
1800 CB yes, but the antialiasing is not blurry, it's very effective in covering specular aliasing....Looks very sharp on a 4K screen and the HDR really pops...

But yes, native 4K 60fps. CB 1800p 120fps would be a nice patch for GTS to receive.......

Also for the love of Crom, Sony please patch Driveclub to 4k 60fps with 16xAF and a harder TAA pass.....You do that and I can play some next gen racers now, because these two games looks so good already....

carsar

but the antialiasing is not blurry, it's very effective in covering specular aliasing....
in my test 1800c was even blurrier than 1080p native. Yes, 1800c reduces aliasing, but it covers all the scene by cloudy coatings.
Looks very sharp on a 4K screen and the HDR really pops..
sadly, most of modern TVs can't deliver very sharp look cause of hdt 10bot 422 limit and low quality sharpness algoritms emplemented to 422 comprassed sygnal. The best way to get maximum sharpness from the game is set pc mode(sdr 444 rgb 8 bit) and raise pc-sharpness to 53-55% from 50%(default) in tv settings to make image even clearer. In my case that works.

scalman

looks pretty sharp in quality mode on sony bravia KDL series hdtv. tv in game mode and then more settings made for better image for my taste, not too sharp though,i lowerd it . and supersampled to 1080p, just those reflections all over are so bad looking su jaggy lines .
i mean that reflection on that screen there , and it follows you trough all race , you just cant stop looking how bad it gets these, better those effects would be off there , dont reflect that if its so bad i mean. and its not photo mode its just captured how it is in game, otherwise great model great details in cockpit, though then you have those bad things there too. and thats on ps4 pro quality mode supersampled to 1080p, not just PS4.
EnB5N3oXIAEofHG

again great details sure, but those lines all over

EnB5ULPWMAAzYcZ

Last edited:
looks pretty sharp in quality mode on sony bravia KDL series hdtv. tv in game mode and then more settings made for better image for my taste, not too sharp though,i lowerd it . and supersampled to 1080p, just those reflections all over are so bad looking su jaggy lines .
i mean that reflection on that screen there , and it follows you trough all race , you just cant stop looking how bad it gets these, better those effects would be off there , dont reflect that if its so bad i mean. and its not photo mode its just captured how it is in game, otherwise great model great details in cockpit, though then you have those bad things there too. and thats on ps4 pro quality mode supersampled to 1080p, not just PS4.
EnB5N3oXIAEofHG

again great details sure, but those lines all over

EnB5ULPWMAAzYcZ
These look like ass to be brutally honest.

Modded Assetto Corsa is GOAT in graphics department. Also, that rain is crazy.

FukuDaruma

Also for the love of Crom, Sony please patch Driveclub to 4k 60fps with 16xAF and a harder TAA pass.....You do that and I can play some next gen racers now, because these two games looks so good already....

Sadly, I think we can totally forget about that. The situation on Driveclub is even worse than Bloodborne, which is working in PS5 with the exact same problems as in the PS4 version.
Driveclub's framerate wasn't unlocked, so forget about 60fps, and forget even more about any improvement on antialiasing or anything else. There's *nobody* left to patch Driveclub. Sony just closed Evolution studio for good, and as far as I know, nothing was done with their amazing engine afterwards. One of the stupidest moves by Sony ever. A good Driveclub remaster could have been a truly amazing PS5 launch title now. :messenger_sad_relieved:

Last edited:

scalman

now remember some older times , PS3 could do adpative tesselation back then ... most car models looks outside even better then newer PS4 GTS models ... i mean how PS3 could do that , and then PS4 couldnt anymore ?

i mean i know .. but real time ... cmon

and now i saw so bad things in GTS cars

scalman

cyberpunk 2077 ,not so much racing as exploring city and outbacks on cars and motorcycles, but man how everything is detailed, for car lovers for interiors lovers , those are some of best car models outside and inside iv ever saw
mnpZgsz.png

LdFJkKG.png

cockpits this beats horizon 4 for my taste for sure, just looks better
lZ05oxb.png

yWoD2EG.png

what abourt drivetrain game like this dont need those details does it , well it does have all
7j9ptLr.png

1yhYgt6.png

Is a next gen remaster of Split Second too much to ask for? That was by far the most fun I've ever had with a racing game. Still no problem to find a lobby on ps3 after all these years.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
As much as DIRT 5 does not look as hot as some of these games, the controls at least on XSX is tight as fuck. Playing on 60hz mode, it certainly has a really low input lag compared to games I am used to (pretty much just FH)...

Top Bottom