• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Gestault

The previous vs thread for Forza/Gran Turismo seemed to do a good job of keeping other discussion threads a little neater, and made a heck of a fun "Reader's Digest" of the best of the genre. Screenshots, gifs and webms are all good.

The only rules I'd like to see adhered to are as follows:

(1) Please name the game. In the title, in the post, whichever. Yes, it may be obvious to a lot of us, but it just keeps things simpler for everyone.
(2) Specify if it's from a photo mode or real-time.
(3) Please be careful with quoting long/large image-posts. It's gonna be choppy enough in here for mobile users as it is.

The format's down to whatever the person contributing them wants to use. That being said, things like the Lynda.com tutorial for how to easily produce WebM content might be worth a look for those of you thinking about contributing media.

Imgur has a very good WebM converter, though in my experience it can have extended down-time. Whatever your url result is, you can add ".gifv" or just ".gif" to get the webm or gif version, respectively. Saving those files to your own hosting is recommended, because eventually they recycle the links if they don't get traffic.

Edit: FasTRapid gave the following format structure:

(URL=WebMURL)(IMG)GIFURL(/IMG)(/URL)
Switch out the parentheses for brackets, and the code will work. You halve the load times, since WebM users only see WebMs and GIF users only see GIFs.

If this thread continues on, can we advance beyond and retire the gifs and standardize the use of webm videos for fully captured framerate and truer-to-source visuals?

Piggus

Forza would look a lot better than it does now if it had some decent AA. The aliasing totally ruins the IQ.

viveks86

Thank goodness for this thread. Let all the wars happen here so that the individual game threads don't get derailed :)

LilJoka

Qz4WJM8.jpg

Assetto Corsa gameplay

Forza is best the 60fps racer, and DriveClub is the best 30fps racer, right now.

I'll be surprised if Forza Horizon 2 (if announced) gives DriveClub a real run for the money in terms of 30fps visuals, but I think it could offer up far more content.

And I do expect pCars to impress across the board, but we'll see how the final handling model and AI works.

If anything I think people dismiss Forza's visuals too easily. Its a gorgeous game, and runs like a dream too. Take a superfast muscle car to Bathurst, or an F1 to Spa and Le Mans or Long Beach and try not to be impressed.

I think the Crew, like Test Drive Unlimited 1 and 2 will impress for its sheer scale - driving for hours and hours across varied terrain and conditions. Hopefully they've improved the driving model significantly from those games though.

Sipheren

Banned
I can't understand the hate for Froza, it looks and runs awesome. Sure it has some aliasing, but when your racing the main thing that matters is the high frame rate.

In my opinion it looks just as good as what I have seen of DriveClub, the impressive thing DriveClub has going for it is the lighting system, which you get in exchange for the frame rate.

As a person who loves sim racing, I would take the frame rate over the lighting.

indosmoke

Forza is best the 60fps racer, and DriveClub is the best 30fps racer, right now.

I'll be surprised if Forza Horizon 2 (if announced) gives DriveClub a real run for the money in terms of 30fps visuals, but I think it could offer up far more content.

And I do expect pCars to impress across the board, but we'll see how the final handling model and AI works.

If anything I think people dismiss Forza's visuals too easily. Its a gorgeous game, and runs like a dream too. Take a superfast muscle car to Bathurst, or an F1 to Spa and Le Mans or Long Beach and try not to be impressed.

Totally agree.

I can't wait for Forza Horizon 2 (it will come for sure, I just hope we'll see a bit more than an announcement/CGI at E3).
PG made a fantastic job with the first one. It will be very, very interesting to see it side by side with Driveclub (although the genres are not identical).

Yes. Could you some better lighting too.

The lighting is generally fine, couple of tracks it looks rough.

The over saturated cars stand out a bit but it looks good, yeah it's static and the shadows are cheap but they are going for a lens view rather than the human eye and it's done really well.

TrueGrime

Hm. Might be better to put these two against Horizon. Forza has some amazing graphics and it hits 60FPS. It's also a launch game that didn't have the benefit of an 11 month delay for tweaking like Driveclub and PCars hasn't even released yet.

Tjat would be a good idea. Too much advantage to games with crappy framerates otherwise.

Well, if we're going to continue to place so much importance upon native resolution, post-process effects, and general texture detail with these graphics comparisons which invite obsessive-compulsive graphics whores to scrutinize every single pixel, webm is also far and away better for preserving that detail, too.

Hm. Might be better to put these two against Horizon. Forza has some amazing graphics and it hits 60FPS. It's also a launch game that didn't have the benefit of an 11 month delay for tweaking like Driveclub and PCars hasn't even released yet.
Which means Forza 6 is going to come out swinging. And it'll be that much better when we see the comparisons between Forza 8 and GT7.

GameSeeker

At the moment it's not much of a contest.

30 fps racers:
DriveClub is so far ahead of the competition it's not even funny. The competition is NFS:Rivals (EA) and The Crew (Ubisoft). Microsoft will throw their hat into the ring when they announce Forza Horizon 2, but DriveClub has set a very high bar for them to hurdle.

60 fps racers:
Project Cars looks to be the winner over Forza 5.

Comparing 60fps racers to 30fps racers is a bit silly as the 30fps racer should win and DriveClub does on the strengths of it's environments (Car models are close between DriveClub, Project Cars and Forza 5).

TrueGrime

Which means Forza 6 is going to come out swinging. And it'll be that much better when we see the comparisons between Forza 8 and GT7.

I sure hope so! How far away do you think we are from the next Forza? 2 years? I have high hopes for Horizon 2 though. I think they'll go for 30fps with more flash and less mechanics. I totally agree with you that Forza and Gran Turismo should be put head to head though when they release.

Yeah... PCars and Driveclub are pretty much a generation above the competition.
Between the two I'd give it to Driveclub because the environments are just much more impressive than the ones in PCars.

MauroNL

Interesting to see what Playground Games will push out of the Xbox One with Forza Horizon 2 considering this was already nice on 360 hardware

ib2BPL3gKHtPDu.gif

Top Bottom