• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Dontero

Banned
I'm a complete noob when it comes to modding. Tell me where I can check that and I'll let you know. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Got it working. Like i though SOL is incompatibile with some version of Custom Shaders patch. Had to change CSP to different version.

unknown.png

Great Hair

Banned
Assetto Corsa's brand new windscreen rain effects "à la Driveclub". This is nuts.

Same shit all over again. First in Forza 7, now here ... puddles are the dumbest shit that have been ever created. In reality the track would be closed, as nowhere on this planet would anyone let you race on a track this wet, with puddles so deep that birds could go fishing, if they had a tiny boat and knew how to fish.

What´s next? perfect emulated snow flakes on the wind screen? Where are the deers jumping across the road? I want me some fauna interaction with my windscreen, while im battling for nr1 at 300Km/h.

Looks nice, but it´s dumb af. Online must be tiresome under these conditions. One nudge from your opponent off you go.

Dontero

Banned
Same shit all over again. First in Forza 7, now here ... puddles are the dumbest shit that have been ever created. In reality the track would be closed, as nowhere on this planet would anyone let you race on a track this wet, with puddles so deep that birds could go fishing, if they had a tiny boat and knew how to fish.

What´s next? perfect emulated snow flakes on the wind screen? Where are the deers jumping across the road? I want me some fauna interaction with my windscreen, while im battling for nr1 at 300Km/h.

Looks nice, but it´s dumb af. Online must be tiresome under these conditions. One nudge from your opponent off you go.

First you are arguing about someone in their private time doing something on their own.

Second Assetto Corsa is simulator of not just DTM series simulator or F1 Simulator. There are plenty of rally tracks made by community to play with and a lot of people would like to see proper rain there.

Third you are wrong about rules. Yes there are leagues where no one will start race when there is heavy rain and puddles but if something like this happens while race is going on it is decided on spot based on conditions. No one will stop race if you have 2-3 laps to end and puddles are small.

Fourth. It is video game not real life maybe someone likes to test their skills when they hit puddles, i personally had plenty enough cases of hitting such puddles in real life and maybe if i could train for it in simulator i could actually be better prepared to what comes after. My mother crashed her car because she hit such puddle without knowledge what puddle does to car.

Here is me driving in Asseto Corsa with standard old E30. As someone who actually lives in Poland in rural area and does plenty of driving in such dirt roads AC handling model which wasn't made for rally still works remarkably well and yo uget same softness feeling i get when i drive/race on such dirt roads in poland irl:

FukuDaruma

This is a test for show. You can customize everything you want, the level of rain, wetness, etc. And not everything in Assetto Corsa are tracks.

Not in the windscreen, but bird flocks and jumping rabbits were amazing in Codemasters past games. :messenger_beaming:

estagiarioo

Neo Member

I don't see the tracks closed here :)

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned

I don't see the tracks closed here :)

They did delay it (green hell race few times since 2015+ due rain, hailstorm etc.). Then again, one is the real deal and the other is not. Remember SPA F1 accident? Do you want to have perma fog? while racing. We dont need to emulate real life.

It´s still a video game, one where you want to have fun with. I dont see the fun of a slippery road, getting punted by 10y online because they pushed you over a 3 feet deep puddle or driving thru a thick fogginess.

Fourth. It is video game not real life maybe someone likes to test their skills when they hit puddles, i personally had plenty enough cases of hitting such puddles in real life and maybe if i could train for it in simulator i could actually be better prepared to what comes after. My mother crashed her car because she hit such puddle without knowledge what puddle does to car.

I had a 360º with my dad´s car on a serpentine track, wet not soaked and don´t remember anything but the final position of the car ("parked uphill/incline"). Lost 3s of conscious? during that ballerina move.

It´s better to race on a dry, sunny day where you can smell ya own sweaty arse and other types of smells. Puddles in "sim games" are like the banana peels in mario kart. ;)

Also, online races with rain look bad as a replay. One of the reason why Gran Turismo does not have them, you wouldnt see any cars.

Let´s just agree that having puddles in simcades like Forza make no sense. I don´t wanna take a shower in Cyberpunk 2077, take a dump ... c´mon :)

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

Can't embed.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Drops resolution is better than Driveclub, which was a bit "oily" specially in dashcam view. But, of course, this is 6 years later on a PC:

This actually looks like real rain drops hitting the windshield, while in Driveclub the jelly effect is overdone (maybe on purpose to make it look more dramatic) and is low resolution as you said. But its just amazing that modders can make a better weather effects than most AAA devs. I don't even expect next gen racing games to have rain effects like in your video's, i hope im wrong tho.
Assetto Corsa's brand new windscreen rain effects "à la Driveclub". This is nuts.

This is just insane, the way the rain moves when the car is fully stopped and the way the windows get steamed.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Some Forza Motorsport screengrabs, soo glad its next gen only. You can see the improvements in the environments fully 3D trees (still not finished), shaders, car models, RT reflections, lighting and shadows. Its shitty that they didn't show any gameplay yet and they stated that it was stil in its early state. Looks like the big boys will go head to head in 2021 GT7 VS FM.
50145174277_459819795f_o.png

50145166987_33758d9978_o.png

50144930196_de264a1ca3_o.png

50144387628_b7c0843037_o.png

50144389478_1ef262bb2c_o.png

50144937271_f62451b51a_o.png

50144445993_01693c5811_o.png

Stuart360

So Forza still seems to be early. I guess they have been spending time upgrading the engine, or making a new one.
You would think with the power of XSX, they could just lazer scan cars to get an instant 3d model, instread of spending weeks modelling one.

Its in engine, hense why cgi trailers like Fable didnt have 'in engine' on the trailer. Its not actual gameplay no, but its obviously graphics.
Yeah but in engine it is not what you see in gameplay,it's like the cutscenes in uncharted 4 where characters looks almost real while in gameplay the models are swapped with aless detailed one...Let's wait for the full gameplay...
Anyway the lighting seems the same cartoonish one like the other forza games,also the smoke animation it's horrible

Zannrebel

Yeah but in engine it is not what you see in gameplay,it's like the cutscenes in uncharted 4 where characters looks almost real while in gameplay the models are swapped with aless detailed one...Let's wait for the full gameplay...
Anyway the lighting seems the same cartoonish one like the other forza games,also the smoke animation it's horrible
Cartoony lightning? Is this post from 2015?

FukuDaruma

^^
TBH they would red flag it as that is definitely not safe racing conditions. lol.

There is no reason not to have those gfx on consoles . DC already did it years ago at 30fps

Yes, even with all its faults (30fps, bad AA, being too "arcadey"...) Driveclub did in 2014 one of the best visuals and the best weather in a racing game. GTS many years later did something much worse, and FM7 and Forza Horizon too.
What they showed of GT7 was pretty disappointing. And that "in engine" trailer of the new Forza is almost like showing a CGI trailer or just nothing. As B Bunta_Fujiwara pointed out "in engine" is just a tag for some credulous fans to expect gameplay of that quality, which simply is a false expectation.
I think the best one in 2021 is gonna be Assetto Corsa + Mods.

Last edited:

Sebmugi

"It's obviously graphics". What does it even mean?

Let me demonstrate why you shouldn't get too excited until you see true gameplay:

IN ENGINE
oSJia1n.jpg

GAMEPLAY
0FkOB4R.png

WOW at this level we don't even talk about a downgrade anymore.
this is false advertising oO

I will also wait to see some gameplay from FM (8) other than with the "in-engine" mention which has become very, very doubtful since yesterday .. I am unsuspecting from the MS conference ..

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
FM8 will look fantastic there is no doubt about it. The bigger problem is that Phil said that it is "early" shot in developement. Which means no FM8 on launch maybe not even in 2021. IT would be first Forza M series game that took longer than 2 years (4 year to be exact).

I honestly don't understand what is going on, Turn10 took extra year to be ready at launch. Maybe coronavirus is what happened ?

Yes, even with all its faults (30fps, bad AA, being too "arcadey"...) Driveclub did in 2014 one of the best visuals and the best weather in a racing game. GTS many years later did something much worse, and FM7 and Forza Horizon too.
What they showed of GT7 was pretty disappointing. And that "in engine" trailer of the new Forza is almost like showing a CGI trailer or just nothing. As B Bunta_Fujiwara pointed out "in engine" is just a tag for some credulous fans to expect gameplay of that quality, which simply is a false expectation.
I think the best one in 2021 is gonna be Assetto Corsa + Mods.

Regarding GT7 yeah the gameplay part was quite disappointing (while the first part of the trailer was amazing in my opinion), i admit that, but honestly i have hope that they will show something better in the months to come since we know how they work. They always show an unfinished version of the game when they show it for the first time,example look at the first gameplay trailer of GTS how bloody awful it was :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

LokusAbriss

Regarding GT7 yeah the gameplay part was quite disappointing (while the first part of the trailer was amazing in my opinion), i admit that, but honestly i have hope that they will show something better in the months to come since we know how they wor. They always show an unfinished version of the game when they show it for the first time,example look at the first gameplay trailer of GTS how bloody awful it was :messenger_grinning_sweat:
PD always change a lot within a certain time. Like GT5: Prologue to GT5. I also think, while the track shown brought memories back, that it was not a good showcase for the graphics. Nürburgring Nordschleife will be a showcase on another level!

What I like in the Forza trailer is the new lighting. That looks a lot better. And the gritty, used and abused look of the Mazda race car. Racing cars look dirty and abused in and after real races, it ads anlot to immersion. Even when you only do some tourist drives on the Nordschleife in real, you will find some rubber on the fenders. An area where GT needs a bit more dirtyness. But they have the lighting spot on.

Last edited:

drotahorror

I'm gonna crosspost this from dirt 5 thread. Maybe I'm just delusional. I will say those AC videos with the rain look fuckin sick and I hope I can get my AC looking like that. At the moment it looks stale and shit just like almost every other racing game.

Looks good to me. Dirt Rally 2.0 is great looking as well. What other games would you compare Dirt 5 to? Really hard to be wow'd by racing games for me. Having recently played Automobillista 2, Assetto Corsa Comptezione, Grid 2019, all maxed out basically @120hz, everything looks so boring and dull compared to say the more detailed environments of Dirt Rally 2.0, Driveclub, Forza Horizon 3 and 4, and a few other racers.

Take this video for example -

Comparing Project CARS 1 2 and 3.

I get it, there's a bit better of everything as you move through the generations. But holy fuck is it boring and not visually appealing (to me atleast, obviously I'm not speaking from an objective opinion, this is purely subjective when discussing graphics/artstyle and what appeals to me).

I guess ACC looks the best to me, when it comes to just pure automotive motorsports. Put AMS2 and ACC next to each other and it's hard to tell the difference though. Nothing has wow'd me more than Driveclub still. It's not the best looking racer in photomode but when driving and in motion at a measly 30fps, the game looks absolutely amazing still and nothing comes close when in motion.

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
New night dynamic shadows for Assetto Corsa with mods. The dudes behind custom shader mod are fucking nuts. Someone or few people work probably for some big publisher and he is channeling his furious anger because they can't make good games and he is spending all dat passion on AC.

This looks fucking nuts:

drotahorror

New night dynamic shadows for Assetto Corsa with mods. The dudes behind custom shader mod are fucking nuts. Someone or few people work probably for some big publisher and he is channeling his furious anger because they can't make good games and he is spending all dat passion on AC.

This looks fucking nuts:

That one guy has pretty much added 2 of Driveclubs best features...the rain and wipers and now the dynamic night shadows. Why more games don't budget for night shadows blows my mind a bit. It's so much more realistic and cool looking.

FukuDaruma

This looks fucking nuts:

That one guy has pretty much added 2 of Driveclubs best features...the rain and wipers and now the dynamic night shadows. Why more games don't budget for night shadows blows my mind a bit. It's so much more realistic and cool looking.

And there's many more stuff to come, he's not gonna stop any time soon. Been chatting with him this afternoon and he will try to improve the shadows softening with distance, which would be applicable to the sun shadows too. We discussed some other interesting stuff like applying some sort of DLSS-like tech to improve performance and doing a better TAA to be able to get rid of MSAA.
AC is gonna get really nuts for the 2021 race.

drotahorror

And there's many more stuff to come, he's not gonna stop any time soon. Been chatting with him this afternoon and he will try to improve the shadows softening with distance, which would be applicable to the sun shadows too. We discussed some other interesting stuff like applying some sort of DLSS-like tech to improve performance and doing a better TAA to be able to get rid of MSAA.
AC is gonna get really nuts for the 2021 race.

Awesome. I just recently became a Patreon of his because I had to have that wiper/windscreen effect. I had never modded AC yet, although I had already donated a buck back when I first got the game so I could get the Content Manager. Can't wait for everything that's in store.

FukuDaruma

Why is F8 taking so long ? don't they churn out a new one every 2 years ?

What is more sad is Forza Horizon, with more than 12 million players, skipping its 2 year release cycle for the first time since its initial release in 2012... because Playground is busy doing a fucking Fable. 🤦‍♂️

Hope at least when it comes out is set in Japan and really amazing...

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Why is F8 taking so long ? don't they churn out a new one every 2 years ?
Its been 3 years since last one but maybe its XSX only.
Edit - its actually not far off 4 years. Forza 7 came out October 2017.

Last edited:
Top Bottom