• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 'Star Trek' TV series planned for 2017, streaming on CBS All Access platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

TedMilk

I can't really have an opinion about this until we get more details.

It should be set after DS9/Voyager. We've had enough of prequels and reboots. The tech doesn't have to advance much in order to advance the story.

My 2 pence.

EDIT: And being in the UK I won't even be able to watch it?!?

The piracy rate is going to be so high since most fans probably wont be willing to pay for this service. I can't see this lasting long.

Why would anyone want the alternate reality? They had a chance to do something daring and different with classic characters and all they really did was make Spock a violent asshole. It's basically the same thing except that Vulcan is gone and the Enterprise can go underwater (I still can't believe this happened). Oh and death is cured, removing any and all tension from the series. Just send an Enterprise H to an unexplored section of the galaxy. Boom. Something new, and you've got 40 years of lore to call back to if and when you need it, instead of just two terrible movies.
I love the new movies. I think the original movies are alright.

Also the new universe downplays the sci-fi super hard and as someone who hates sci-fi, that makes me very happy! :)

I can't really have an opinion about this until we get more details.

It should be set after DS9/Voyager. We've had enough of prequels and reboots. The tech doesn't have to advance much in order to advance the story.

My 2 pence.

EDIT: And being in the UK I won't even be able to watch it?!?

My assumption is that UK bidding rights will be HIGH for uk broadcasters. I'd be shocked if Sky aren't already in talks with CBS.

Jag

The piracy rate is going to be so high since most fans probably wont be willing to pay for this service. I can't see this lasting long.

Yeah, I'm not sure I'm understanding this. Is it only going to be available on CBS streaming, because that will be pirated to hell. If it is shown first on CBS streaming, but available for syndication in subsequent weeks, that might be more tolerable.

Matt

I don't understand the CBS All Access thing, but I guess if they're gong to push a digital only show, might as well be something like Star Trek.

I really don't get why they don't just hope on the Hulu train and get equity like ABC did.

Hyun Sai

JJ-verse is a good idea. I also want to see the Universe Class:

UniverseClass_USS_Enterprise01.jpg

This is indeed the ugliest ship of the universe. Impressive...

Maybe the rights issues they were facing with paramount forced them to do it on their streaming service as a loophole?

There is no rights issue. Paramount leases the licence from CBS, but CBS could easily withdraw that licence once the contract is up (they wont). The only thing we know for sure is that Abbrams demanded no tv show to aitr as long as he was directing the films, and since he is gone, well... Here we are.

I love the new movies. I think the original movies are alright.

Also the new universe downplays the sci-fi super hard and as someone who hates sci-fi, that makes me very happy! :)

That's fine. I like "science fantasy" too. We can get that other places though. Star Trek should be more like... Star Trek. I understand that we'll never get anything as "slow" and as "boring" as TNG or TOS again. I'm not even sure I want that, really. I just want something that respects the universe and the viewer. Not fucking Transformers. Not lowest common denominator stuff. There's got to be something in between.

CMDBob

My assumption is that UK bidding rights will be HIGH for uk broadcasters. I'd be shocked if Sky aren't already in talks with CBS.

I'm not so sure, as CBS has it's own channels here in the UK. It might appear on their CBS Action channel. (Might not of course, but still...)

Still, my hype levels are set to a bare minimum, really.

Par Score

That's fine. I like "science fantasy" too. We can get that other places though. Star Trek should be more like... Star Trek. I understand that we'll never get anything as "slow" and as "boring" as TNG or TOS again. I'm not even sure I want that, really. I just want something that respects the universe and the viewer. Not fucking Transformers. Not lowest common denominator stuff. There's got to be something in between.

I'd be happy with even a BSG style half-way house.

Zips

If they don't have them connected to the new movies at all (I.e. by being set in the same universe), people would be left scratching their heads.

Old fans would be happy, sure, but wasn't one of the purposes of new trek to bring in new fans?

Best I can imagine is being set farther in the future, to where they can slide by with minimal reference to either universe.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So they're trying to push their new platform with a Star Trek show, just like Paramount tried to use Trek to push UPN?

Goo

I want to see more gamma quadrant stories. After the dominion war have the dominion planets in a civil war. Romulan refugees and romulan terrorists working against the federation. Have the federation recover from the dominion war in a way that mimics the USA after Soviet collapse.

Show case the difficulties of having all the power in the alpha quadrant with the lack of a balancing power like the romulan empire. Internal struggles in the federation with shifting philosophies in regards to the prime directive.

Keep humanity civilized and life good for humans, star trek requires the optimistic future.

While "not related to Beyond" *seems* to imply it's not set in the Abramsverse, that's too vague to say for sure. Could just mean it won't spin out of the film's plot or feature any of its cast.

Mudcrab

While "not related to Beyond" *seems* to imply it's not set in the Abramsverse, that's too vague to say for sure. Could just mean it won't spin out of the film's plot or feature any of its cast.

Definitely not getting my hopes up until I know this doesn't have anything to to with Abramverse bullshit.

RPGCrazied

And did I read this right, first episode on CBS, then the rest on CBS all access? Man, I don't want to get a service just for one show, but damn it I will if the premise is cool.

I'm a huge Star Trek nerd.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
lol

I really didn't expect this. So the only way a Star Trek series works is if they try to build a network around it. Well, that's fine.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
And did I read this right, first episode on CBS, then the rest on CBS all access? Man, I don't want to get a service just for one show, but damn it I will if the premise is cool.

I'm a huge Star Trek nerd.
A "preview" screening. Clearly this is their "House of Cards" or "Orange is the New Black" though.

kess

Less plucky starfleet cadets and more aliens PLZ

Might be a good time for the producers to go back and revisit what gave the original series some cachet. The original series, even with all its cheese, had a lot of class and good writing.

Tevious

I'm on board. Please be good and please don't be JJ-verse crap!

A post DS9/Voyager show is my hope, or even something set even further into the future by another 100 years or more. Maybe even a show on the first Federation Timeship, if done right... but maybe that would be better suited for a spin-off show, if successful.

butalala

I'm cautiously optimistic at most about this. My hope is that a new Star Trek would break as many overt ties to existing Star Trek properties as possible, in hopes of attracting an audience that doesn't know the intricate details of the political aftermath of The Dominion War or the destruction of Romulus and creation of a new timeline.

I hope that they focus on a small core of likable, grounded characters and put them in a universe that is full of strange and unexpected things. I don't expect a high level of serialization, but subtle through-threads would be good.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't understand the CBS All Access thing, but I guess if they're gong to push a digital only show, might as well be something like Star Trek.
Yeah, I mean it doesn't make sense as a CBS show - I bet it would do worse than Supergirl for example - but as a flagship show for a network no one will otherwise care about? Why not. And if it bombs, they can just dump CSI reruns on it or whatever else they own.

WTF is that abomination?
I believe that's the janky design they came up with for the Enteprise-J. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom