• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 'Star Trek' TV series planned for 2017, streaming on CBS All Access platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overlee

I'm not upset about anything. He was a shrewd businessman, and I wasn't even alive when he was in the prime of his creating the cult of personality that still exists to this day. It's not like it negatively affects me somehow or anything.

But if Roddenberry had managed to secure any sort of real purchase in the industry outside of Star Trek, he'd have taken it. He stuck with Star Trek mostly because nothing else he tossed out actually landed, Star Trek still made him money, and Star Trek fans were more than eager to tell him how genius he was to have made what he did in the first place. I'm not saying that negates the fact he inspired people at all.

What "purchase power" does a writer have when his TV show only runs for 3 seasons and doesn't gain a cult following until later? He owned the rights and fought for as much creative control as he could during the creation of TNG before his death. You're focusing on the business side of Trek which is the last thing Trek is about.

They don't even use money in the future!

Morts

I'm tentatively hyped.

My hopes:
  • Set in the Prime Universe
  • Around or Post TNG-era
  • Picard Cameo in pilot
  • Kurtzman staying the fuck away from the actual making of the show
  • CBS giving this a fair shot
  • Set on the Enterprise, hopefully
  • Bonus: Taking the STO continunity into account

I don't see any of this happening except maybe set on an Enterprise.

Whats your point? We shouldn't like Star Trek?

No, that's not the point. Like Star Trek. Like Star Trek all you want. But don't misrepresent what it is and how it came to be. It doesn't do the show any favors. Acting like the series is some sort of altruistic gift from science itself doesn't do the show any favors, either. It's a good way to stay dissatisfied with whatever incarnation of Star Trek you actually do get, which is bound to be dissatisfying if the bar you're holding the show to is a bar it only ever rarely hit, and mostly never tried to.

What "purchase power" does a writer have when his TV show only runs for 3 seasons and doesn't gain a cult following until later

I'm not sure I understand your question. I think you might be misunderstanding my phrase "Secure purchase" actually, which means "find a foothold" as opposed to anything regarding the actual buying of product.

Lots of people work on shows, and then go on to work on other shows. To make other shows. He'd already done this before Star Trek as well.

The Roddenberry who worked on Next Generation doesn't have much in common with the Roddenberry who created the Original Series, and neither of those Roddenberry's had much of anything in common with the guy who got sidelined in a Paramount office while the movies were succeeding beyond anyone's wildest dreams.

The truth is that Roddenberry in creative control isn't what made the Original Series great, it's what hindered Next Gen from finding its own voice, and its what caused The Motion Picture to play the way it did. Roddenberry in creative control is not an aesthetic Star Trek should aspire to. It makes for bad Star Trek.

Exclusivity on All-Access is going to be a tough sell for a lot of people. CBS has easily the least attractive lineup of shows, so paying $6 a month for one program will seem like a weak deal.

Hope it's good. Will be interesting to see who they get on board for the project.

Huh? Lucasfilm already has a Star Wars TV presence in animation. Star Wars is a tv franchise as well as a movie franchise (and comic franchise and book franchise...)

As far as live action goes theyve only announced 3 new movies and a spinoff. Thats a lot of Star Wars. They dont seem interested in doing anything on TV.

pants

I want this.....
tumblr_mn7vmlFiK41s67vyfo10_250.gif
NtqyKYB.gif

Not this....
startrek-into-darkness-51-surprised-patrick.gif
wEb1PGs.gif

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Slightly off topic, but do people consider Deep Space Nine worth watching? It's the only Star Trek series I haven't watched but I hear good things.

more "worth watching" than Voyager is, and about equal to TNG's good episodes on average IMO.

there aren't very many terrible episodes of Deep Space Nine, as long as you are on board with the general idea of the show, it should be enjoyable

As far as live action goes theyve only announced 3 new movies and a spinoff. Thats a lot of Star Wars. They dont seem interested in doing anything on TV.
Eh, give it time. Marvel didn't establish a TV presence until after The Avengers. Wouldn't be shocked if Disney greenlights something once TFA opens.

Jag

Are you kidding?

Deep Space Nine is absolutely worth watching. Bit of a bumpy start, but the latter seasons are the best Trek has ever been for me.

I agree. Dominion War was epic. It starts slow and some episodes are head shaking campy, but it's really good Trek and the last few seasons are well worth the payoff. Also has some of the best fx of any Trek yet. Unless you don't like big giant space battles.

It makes sense they brought Trek back. With Marvel, DC and Star Wars kicking ass, on the big and little screens, there is no reason to let the Trek license gather dust. The movies alone just don't have enough momentum to keep it in the public eye.

Busty

Banned
Knowing CBS it will probably be procedural, like an NCIS spin off, loosely disguised as a new Trek show. I can just see it now.

"Starfleet Captain Jack Patriot works for Starfleet...., in their Florida office as a PI. Together with his sexy alien secretary Suk-Yu 'Aff they derp-derp-derp-derp....,"

Only on CBS All Access..., or whatever.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I've been expecting them to make a new show for a while given the brand reboot, so that part isn't too surprising.

My main question is whether it's Star Trek or Abrams Star Trek.

Busty

Banned
I've been expecting them to make a new show for a while given the brand reboot, so that part isn't too surprising.

Star Trek.

Nothing to do with Paramount so nothing to do with Abrams/Bad Robot.

Overlee

No, that's not the point. Like Star Trek. Like Star Trek all you want. But don't misrepresent what it is and how it came to be. It doesn't do the show any favors. Acting like the series is some sort of altruistic gift from science itself doesn't do the show any favors, either. It's a good way to stay dissatisfied with whatever incarnation of Star Trek you actually do get, which is bound to be dissatisfying if the bar you're holding the show to is a bar it only ever rarely hit, and mostly never tried to.

I'm not sure I understand your question. I think you might be misunderstanding my phrase "Secure purchase" actually, which means "find a foothold" as opposed to anything regarding the actual buying of product.

Lots of people work on shows, and then go on to work on other shows. To make other shows. He'd already done this before Star Trek as well.

The Roddenberry who worked on Next Generation doesn't have much in common with the Roddenberry who created the Original Series, and neither of those Roddenberry's had much of anything in common with the guy who got sidelined in a Paramount office while the movies were succeeding beyond anyone's wildest dreams.

The truth is that Roddenberry in creative control isn't what made the Original Series great, it's what hindered Next Gen from finding its own voice, and its what caused The Motion Picture to play the way it did. Roddenberry in creative control is not an aesthetic Star Trek should aspire to. It makes for bad Star Trek.

Roddenberry in his old age didn't write the best episodes but he laid the groundwork for what Trek should be. The show runner's along with great writers like Ron Moore understood and embrace that and built on that legacy. And fans of the show should demand a similar level of love and devotion to it.

Kurtzman does not have a record of being true to the shows roots nor a record for imagination. If you want to make some cookie-cutter action-filled world in space, don't call it Star Trek. Call it Star Wars.

I've always wanted a post-Dominion War trek series, since that was never covered in canon (I assume there's novels about it, but every ST novel I've read has been sort of garbage). The Federation trying to return to its utopian ideals after a war where billions died and Earth itself was attacked would've been super interesting if done well.

But we're getting Kurtzman so there you go

pants

There are people asking for stuff in the Prime universe? Give it a rest; bring all new stuff.

Yes, because the new timeline of rehashed old timeline stories is the way to go over continuing past where the prime series ended off when you want to get new stuff.

This show needs to deal with the aftermath of the destruction of Romulus in the Prime Universe. It just must.

Also, remember only what is on television or film is canon in Star Trek. NOTHING else is canon, ever.

WillyFive

Can't it be both Prime universe AND new stuff?

That could be incredibly convoluted.

Yes, because the new timeline of rehashed old timeline stories is the way to go over continuing past where the prime series ended off when you want to get new stuff.

There are only two stories in the new timeline. Two. They happen to have some ideas from the old one, but it's not like it's a requirement or anything. You have far better potential to do new stuff in the new universe because you don't have to worry about baggage and worrying about contradicting 40 years worth of stories.

So looking at kurtzman's biography, he's written lots of terrible movies (including the nutrek ones that didn't get what star trek is), but he's written for tons of really enjoyable tv series

I don't know what to think

Slightly off topic, but do people consider Deep Space Nine worth watching? It's the only Star Trek series I haven't watched but I hear good things.

most consistently good trek series. sisko is the only captain I like as much as shatner-kirk too. incredible ensemble cast, with semi-regulars better then anyone on voyager, enterprise and most of the TNG crew.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I can understand people preferring the Prime universe but how can you look at this announcement and think that it's in any way possible that's what you're going to get?

And even if it was, these aren't the people you'd want fucking around with that.

Let them do something new in the new universe that hopefully at least tries to be what Star Trek should be, a procedural show where any thing can happen week to week because it's fucking space and we have no idea what's out there.

Cool. Was hoping this would happen around the 50th.

The obvious set up is set in on another ship in the Abramsverse. Or TNG it and set in on a future Enterprise if they really want to keep that Enterprise name on it.

I hope it keeps the tonal authenticity of the new timeline! I don't have any interest in hard sci-fi, but yeah I'm down for a new universe show!

I see no reason for this to not be in the Abrams timeline. Give the TV cast a cameo in the next movie, and follow the typical 'expanded universe' formula.

Doing a series far in the future of their current movie franchise might also creatively limit the team behind the films.

Roddenberry in his old age didn't write the best episodes but he laid the groundwork for what Trek should be.

Kinda. More like Gene Coon & D.C. Fontana did that.

Really, so far as large swaths of people are concerned, Harve Bennett & Nicholas Meyer are probably better representatives of what people want Star Trek to be. Or Ira Stephen Behr/Michael Piller/Ron Moore

ivysaur12

Banned
I don't understand the CBS All Access thing, but I guess if they're gong to push a digital only show, might as well be something like Star Trek.

teiresias

Yeah people forget that TNG immediately airing in syndication was a crazy move for the day.

Yeah, but the syndication model is the complete opposite of this exclusive streaming service model. Syndication immediately increased the number of places you could potentially see the content, their All Access model immediately restricts it to one place.

Why would anyone want the alternate reality? They had a chance to do something daring and different with classic characters and all they really did was make Spock a violent asshole. It's basically the same thing except that Vulcan is gone and the Enterprise can go underwater (I still can't believe this happened). Oh and death is cured, removing any and all tension from the series. Just send an Enterprise H to an unexplored section of the galaxy. Boom. Something new, and you've got 40 years of lore to call back to if and when you need it, instead of just two terrible movies.

You know, people who want it to be in the new JJ timeline say they want it that way so it can be a "fresh start", but it'll have exactly the opposite effect.

If it's set in the Prime Universe, there's no way to use existing characters outside of occasional callbacks or cameos, etc. The actors have aged out, the story lines wouldn't work. It will, in all likelihood, be set a century or two past where we left off. Now and then Spock or Picard or whoever gets referenced as a historical figure.

If it's in the JJ verse, I guarantee reboot versions of Picard and Sisko, etc WILL happen. Guarantee it. Some season finale will come along and that boy in the academy will turn out to be that universe's Riker. Or Dr Noonien Soon is a young man building Data in his lab.

If you want a fresh start, the Prime Universe is the place to get it. JJ Verse is built to be a rehash. In fact, that has been its purpose all along.

Why would anyone want the alternate reality? They had a chance to do something daring and different with classic characters and all they really did was make Spock a violent asshole. It's basically the same thing except that Vulcan is gone and the Enterprise can go underwater (I still can't believe this happened). Oh and death is cured, removing any all tension from the series. Just send an Enterprise H to an unexplored section of the galaxy. Boom. Something new, and you've got 40 years of lore to call back to if and when you need it, instead of just two terrible movies.

don't forget they can teleport from Earth to Qo'noS too lol

federation == iconians in the nutrekverse

Par Score

I can understand people preferring the Prime universe but how can you look at this announcement and think that it's in any way possible that's what you're going to get?

Because the only specific about the new show in the whole thing is that it won't be related to the new movie, which gives hope it won't be connected to JJ Trek at all.

Also, CBS has no reason to link up with a Paramount property other than brand synergy, they're just as likely to want to stick with their own IP (as they did with TNG, Voyager, DS9, Enterprise).

It won't.

I can't get my head around them showing the first episode for free on CBS broadcast.

hook people on the show for free and get them to pay for the rest. Also, if people don't think hardcore star trek fans wont subscribe in droves for one show, you clearly haven't seen the price of Star Trek DVD's.

I can't get my head around them showing the first episode for free on CBS broadcast.

Will it even be the first episode? The press release is kind of vague ("special preview broadcast"):

The new series will blast off with a special preview broadcast on the CBS Television Network. The premiere episode and all subsequent first-run episodes will then be available exclusively in the United States on CBS All Access...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom