• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 'Star Trek' TV series planned for 2017, streaming on CBS All Access platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotSelf

Finally! Trek back on TV!

tumblr_n6o7iwJbZR1tbhzz6o1_400.gif

lol

They should bring back Data as the captain with a new updated body.

Fox Mulder

I love the new movies. I think the original movies are alright.

Also the new universe downplays the sci-fi super hard and as someone who hates sci-fi, that makes me very happy! :)

But that's not star trek. The new movies are shit and I won't watch a show done the same.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ok, I'm getting excited then. Lets hope it has a good budget. Surely they wouldn't fuck up Star Trek. Its a cash cow.
Is it though? No one cares about Star Trek any more... and they can't even milk the whole "liberal" angle anymore since the idea of an interracial kiss being revolutionary is just quaint in 2015.

RPGCrazied

Into Darkness would like to have a word with you.

Is it though? No one cares about Star Trek any more... and they can't even milk the whole "liberal" angle anymore since the idea of an interracial kiss being revolutionary is just quaint in 2015.

Yeah, it being streaming only does scare me a little bit. And I have high hopes for it to be successful like Next Generation. Who are we kidding though, it'll probably be set during the recent movie timeline, which I don't want.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, it being streaming only does scare me a little bit. And I have high hopes for it to be successfull like Next Generation. Who are we kidding though, it'll probably be set during the recent movie timeline, which I don't want.
Well, if they wanted to cheap out, they could at least reuse all the movie sets and designs.

I guess Star Trek fans should be grateful that CBS is trying to make their own streaming service. This definitely wouldn't make any sense otherwise.

Especially since they fucking whitewashed Khan.
The one great "shame" about Star Trek was that it was oddly homophobic. So maybe they can play up that angle by having a canon major gay character or something similar.

Star Trek is a huge cash cow. The movies are successful again, the old shows make a shit load in syndication and international licensing and the recent tng blu-Ray's were extremely expensive.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Star Trek is a huge cash cow. The movies are successful again, the old shows make a shit load in syndication and international licensing and the recent tng blu-Ray's were extremely expensive.
If the BDs were a huge success, you'd think a DS9 HD release would have happened already.

I feel like Star Trek is this thing that no one knows what to do with, particularly because the type of science fiction it represents is seen as old fashioned and quaint. Hell, even all the people who wrote for the show "grew up" to make more complex shows reflective of the current TV landscape.

I guess if the TV series is basically Star Wars with a Star Trek skin like the movies, it'll be fine. Every week they can have a space battle and shoot phasers at things because that's cool looking.

WillyFive

No, I'm not saying use both universes, I'm just saying new stuff set in the prime universe.

But that's not good, for the same reason the new timeline exists in the first place. You don't want to have to write around 40 years of baggage. It's also the same reason Star Wars ejected it's entire EU, you bring a clean slate that makes it more approachable.

As long as it does a decent job with the "new life and new civilizations" premise, does it really matter which continuity it's set in?

TheFatOne

I want something closer to DS9 in tone. Not a huge fan of Rodenburys humans are perfect and can do no wrong. Now I need to go freeze myself like Cartman.

Especially since they fucking whitewashed Khan.

To be fair, they've never once actually got that right.

Khan Singh: Ricardo Montalban
Khan Singh: Benedict Cumberbatch

For as different as their mannerisms and appearance might be, the one thing both actors have in common is that neither of them come from the region of the world that Khan is supposed to come from.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Well, if they wanted to cheap out, they could at least reuse all the movie sets and designs.

I guess Star Trek fans should be grateful that CBS is trying to make their own streaming service. This definitely wouldn't make any sense otherwise.

The one great "shame" about Star Trek was that it was oddly homophobic.
So maybe they can play up that angle by having a canon major gay character or something similar.

What!? Have you ever watched Star Trek?

There was a Deep Space Nine episode that basically tacked the issue head on.

So you believe that there are zero social and moral issues to explore in 2015?

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
My bet, it is going to be one of two ideas, both of which are fucking terrible.

The Federation is gone or dying.
A bunch of teens, possibly at the academy.

Barf.

If we're talking cameos, it doesn't matter how far into the future they set it, there's one character that can return at any moment with no additional explanation.

93c88fea5da21f3ad2b9b33f3e3bd926.jpg

To be fair, they've never once actually got that right.

Khan Singh: Ricardo Montalban
Khan Singh: Benedict Cumberbatch

For as different as their mannerisms and appearance might be, the one thing both actors have in common is that neither of them come from the region of the world that Khan is supposed to come from.
True, but TOS Khan was casted in 1966. Abrams Khan was cast in 2012. There is no excuse.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What!? Have you ever watched Star Trek?

There was a Deep Space Nine episode that basically tacked the issue head on.
Well, they had to basically fall back on the trope that all queer relationships are doomed to fail. The interesting thing was that Terry Farrel was extremely uncomfortable making that episode, because of her beliefs.

The books retconned a gay character into Star Trek First Contact - Hawke is gay in a prequel book - but the only real representation is only in novels. And some of it borders on slash fiction, like the books about the mirror universe where half the female cast have sex with each other. lol

So you believe that there are zero social and moral issues to explore in 2015?
I don't think you can make preachy scifi in 2015 anymore, no. Even Enterprise felt extremely dated and old fashioned at the time, and that was only ten years ago.

MoxManiac

Do people not like Orci and Kurtzman? I tend to be optimistic about them since Fringe is one of my favorite shows of all time.

Please don't be shit.
Please don't have a crew of supermodel 20-somethings running the ship.
Please don't bring back Vic Fontaine.
Please don't feature Grand Admiral Janeway.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Do people not like Orci and Kurtzman? I tend to be optimistic about them since Fringe is one of my favorite shows of all time.
It depends if you like Into Darkness or not.

Please don't be shit.
What if it's an anthology series based on holodeck adventures hosted by Vic Fontaine? lol

foxtrot3d

Banned
Besides, Data is dead, remember? lol

But B4 is alive!
Who is basically Data because the writers didn't want to commit to killing of Data.

I don't think you can make preachy scifi in 2015 anymore, no. Even Enterprise felt extremely dated and old fashioned at the time, and that was only ten years ago.

I don't believe that at all. Hell, we had "The West Wing" during the height of the War on Terror and that show was nothing but optimism and preaching the liberal agenda. People are more than okay with a "preachy" show in 2015, they just don't want a bad preachy show. Also, Terry Farell is a homophobe?

Can J. Michael Straczynski head up the series?
Oh god why would you suggest that. Ever read his idiotic pitch for a Trek series back in the day? He's made mostly crap TV since the original B5. The B5 spinoffs were junk. Jeremiah was ok-ish but the themes and speeches were pretty much recycled from B5. Sense8 is just junk. Please keep JMS far away from Trek.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Please don't be shit.

What do you have against Vic? TELL ME!

Oh god why would you suggest that. Ever read his idiotic pitch for a Trek series back in the day? He's made mostly crap TV since the original B5. The B5 spinoffs were junk. Jeremiah was ok-ish but the themes and speeches were pretty much recycled from B5. Sense8 is just junk. Please keep JMS far away from Trek.

Truth.

Hell, I love B5 but Deep Space Nine is far better, imo.

A reminder to everyone that every Trek series after the original had a rocky start and it took a few seasons to start getting consistently good. A weak first season for this wouldn't necessarily reflect much on the rest of the series, though there is a question of whether a new Trek series could even survive after a weak first season in this day and age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom