• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 'Star Trek' TV series planned for 2017, streaming on CBS All Access platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobor

I'm not paying $6 a month for one show, though.

Especially when the rest of CBS's content is a dumpster fire.

FTFY

11 was an incredible film, but I dare not call it my fav because it's only half of a whole; I absolutely refuse to separate it from Countdown. It is part 2 to a 2-part tale, so I cannot treat it as a standalone. As for 12, critics agree that the film was solid, and as far as stand-alone films, it's my favorite of the 12.

giphy.gif

Gene Roddenberry wanted Trek to be about diversity and pushing mankind beyond their imagination and he was consistently fighting with the studios about this

Nah, Roddenberry was mostly about exploiting the show as hard as he could, and then exploiting a fanbase all-too-willing to deify him as some sort of visionary. And then later, he started believing the shit they were shoveling at him when it became obvious he was never going to do anything but Star Trek for the rest of his life if he wanted to keep making money.

Blader

The new Star Trek TV series would continue Kurtzman's relationship with the beloved franchise. He produced the Star Trek feature film series, writing 2013's Star Trek Into Darkness and 2009's franchise revival. The fourth in the franchise set for 2019, though Kurtzman is not attached.

Huh. Was that known before?

You finally get another show.

Alex Kurtzman is running it.

BUT: They showran Fringe and it turned out okay. So who knows.

At least it's Kurtzman alone and he's not bringing Orci with him. I always got the impression that Bob was the crazier one and that Alex fared a little better.
Then again, this is still Alex Kertzman. Well, we'll see how that works out.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
You finally get another show.

Alex Kurtzman is running it.

BUT: They showran Fringe and it turned out okay. So who knows.
Kurtzman was not a showrunner on Fringe. He, and Orci, were heavily involved in the first half of S1, you know, the weakest stuff of the series with all that awful nonsense with The Pattern and Olivia's former partner and lover. Wyman and Pinkner ran Fringe.

Jinkies

I've just started watching Star Trek (series) through Voyager on Netflix. I've been imagining what it would be like with today's production techniques. Maybe something like Battlestar Galactica, but smarter.

If Netflix or HBO isn't doing a show, I don't pay much attention until feedback on most of the first season has been collected.

Matt

CBS using this to push CBS All Access is about as stupid as the whole UPN thing was with Voyager.

I'd give this more of a chance if it was backed by Netflix, as their stuff has been quality. But I don't trust this to be anything but cheapo network crap that they just happen to be streaming instead (and that probably is one more way for them to rationalize cheaping out on it).

Yeah, I'm worried about the budget...

Kurtzman was not a showrunner on Fringe. He, and Orci, were heavily involved in the first half of S1,

Yeah, I already got corrected on this, I thought they had more to do w/ S1 than they did.

Still though, if one is inclined to look for any sort of bright side - Kurtzman isn't Orci, and Orci seems to be the origin point of a lot of negative feelings regarding Into Darkness. And showrunning isn't exactly the same as banging out a script for a single big-budget movie.

I now expect a competitive Star Wars TV announcement for Netflix within the week.

If a Star Wars TV announcement comes, it's not going to be due to this. Lucasfilm isn't competing with Paramount.

ultron87

So this:

“This new series will premiere to the national CBS audience, then boldly go where no first-run Star Trek series has gone before – directly to its millions of fans through CBS All Access

means like the first episode will be on TV then the rest is just on streaming?

BFIB

Excellent idea in bringing Star Trek back.

Terrible idea to make it streaming only. If your going to go that route, you need it on Netflix.

pants

Please dear lord jesus christ in a manger set it in the prime universe post dominion war and get some decent fucking writers.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Captain, sensors are detecting remnants of disappointment particles and uncertainty gasses. I do not believe it is wise to engage the hype drive at this time.

Overlee

Nah, Roddenberry was mostly about exploiting the show as hard as he could, and then exploiting a fanbase all-too-willing to deify him as some sort of visionary. And then later, he started believing the shit they were shoveling at him when it became obvious he was never going to do anything but Star Trek for the rest of his life if he wanted to keep making money.

What's wrong with only creating a world as imaginative and aspiring as Star Trek? That's ridiculous. It's rare for a person to inspire a handful of people, what he created has inspired generations. I would be happy if I only did something like that in my lifetime.

And your upset he wanted to make money off it? The studio didn't want female cast members or even Patrick Stewart as Captain because he was bald.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Gene Roddenberry wanted Trek to be about diversity and pushing mankind beyond their imagination and he was consistently fighting with the studios about this.

Now that he's gone and there's no one left to carry that torch I see little reason for hope.

Ironically, this post shows a distinct lack of imagination.

So this:

When I read it I thought it meant that the series would be aired on CBS but each new episode would be immediately available for streaming afterward.

But I think you actually may be right, maybe just the first episode. I hope that's not the case though. I'm not paying a monthly fee to watch one show. I'd rather wait for it to be available through other means, perhaps after the whole season is released on bluray or something.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I enjoyed the newer Star Trek films for what they are but I hope they can reign that shit in for the series.

I recently watched the TNG episode "The Drumhead", and I had forgotten how engaging that episode was without having any action. I hope they understand that Star Trek is more than just starships shooting each other.

What's wrong with only creating a world as imaginative and aspiring as Star Trek? That's ridiculous. It's rare for a person to ispitre a handful of people, what he createtd has inspired generations. I would be happy if I only did something like that in my lifetime.

And your upset he wanted to make money off it? The studio didn't want female cast members or even Patrick Stewart as Captain because he was bald.

I'm not upset about anything. He was a shrewd businessman, and I wasn't even alive when he was in the prime of his creating the cult of personality that still exists to this day. It's not like it negatively affects me somehow or anything.

But if Roddenberry had managed to secure any sort of real purchase in the industry outside of Star Trek, he'd have taken it. He stuck with Star Trek mostly because nothing else he tossed out actually landed, Star Trek still made him money, and Star Trek fans were more than eager to tell him how genius he was to have made what he did in the first place. I'm not saying that negates the fact he inspired people at all.

mcrommert

Banned
I was so happy and now that's over...this thing is doa if it is streaming only...no one will watch

So its going to be small budget garbage...CBS /paramount seems to be incapable of leading this franchise properly

Busty

Banned
Again, the fact that Paramount have nothing to do with this is very telling. LIke having Nolan do a Batman trilogy at Warner Bros and then separately produce a Batman TV show for Sony Pictures* at the same time.

Just an exaggerated example. Relax.

Evidently so.

Weird, I know.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Yeah, I already got corrected on this, I thought they had more to do w/ S1 than they did.

Still though, if one is inclined to look for any sort of bright side - Kurtzman isn't Orci, and Orci seems to be the origin point of a lot of negative feelings regarding Into Darkness. And showrunning isn't exactly the same as banging out a script for a single big-budget movie.
It doesn't sound like Kurtzman will run this either, but he'll be heavily involved with the pilot and establishing the basic foundation of the show. I think that's negative enough considering his history.

Deep Space 9 and Voyager came out of the cable boom (as did Stargate for that matter), so people crying foul of this being streaming only have to realise trek has always taken advantage of these kind of media expasions... In fact I'd argue it's the only way it's going to survive.

I'm not upset about anything. He was a shrewd businessman, and I wasn't even alive when he was in the prime of his creating the cult of personality that still exists to this day. It's not like it negatively affects me somehow or anything.

But if Roddenberry had managed to secure any sort of real purchase in the industry outside of Star Trek, he'd have taken it. He stuck with Star Trek mostly because nothing else he tossed out actually landed, Star Trek still made him money, and Star Trek fans were more than eager to tell him how genius he was to have made what he did in the first place. I'm not saying that negates the fact he inspired people at all.

Whats your point? We shouldn't like Star Trek?

Is this show Michael Dorn was talking about - the continuing adventures of Worf or whatnot?
Did some catching up on Worf and according to an Official comic book prequel to the 2009 movie Worf is a General in the Klingon Empire and Data is a Capt. Would watch a show about either or both.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Unless it's on Netflix or Hulu or maybe Amazon Prime it's not going to work. No one will pay for another streaming service just for CBS shows. Did they not learn from Yahoo! Screen's complete failure? And they even had Community. Take it to Netflix if not normal TV. (Points for embracing a streaming TV future. Minus points for locking it to yet a new service. Networks never learn. Everyone needs to be a "me too!") I look forward to the press release a year later where they cancel it because not enough people watched it and it was pirated more than people paid for the service.

That said, I hope it doesn't suck. But come on, Netflix would be the best bet.

Par Score

The new television series is not related to the upcoming feature film Star Trek Beyond which is scheduled to be distributed by Paramount Pictures in summer 2016.

Here's hoping it's not connected to the other two JJ Treks either. They're good summer pop-corn flicks, but I'd hate to see them become a part of the larger Trek pantheon.

I'd like something set in the existing time-line, post-Dominion War, post-destruction of Romulus. A new Enterprise, -F, first of her class, sets out on her maiden voyage to explore the unknowns of the formerly Romulan territories.

Fuchsdh

Deep Space 9 and Voyager came out of the cable boom (as did Stargate for that matter), so people crying foul of this being streaming only have to realise trek has always taken advantage of these kind of media expasions... In fact I'd argue it's the only way it's going to survive.

Yeah people forget that TNG immediately airing in syndication was a crazy move for the day.

I'm tentatively hyped.

My hopes:
  • Set in the Prime Universe
  • Around or Post TNG-era
  • Picard Cameo in pilot
  • Kurtzman staying the fuck away from the actual making of the show
  • CBS giving this a fair shot
  • Set on the Enterprise, hopefully
  • Bonus: Taking the STO continunity into account

SpaceWolf

Banned
Slightly off topic, but do people consider Deep Space Nine worth watching? It's the only Star Trek series I haven't watched but I hear good things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom