• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PlayStation Plus is live in the US | Sony’s classic PlayStation games on PS Plus are 60hz in North America

Umbasaborne

Banned
Streaming works fine enough, for me at least, but man i really wish sony would take a few of these ps3 games and natively port them to the ps5 with support for higher resolutions and frame rates like ms does. Like a crack in time still looks really good, but imagine how great it would look at native 4k with hdr

The Fartist

Gold Member
Correct. The game will get a lock icon and prompt you to buy it.
giphy.gif

Salvatron

just looked over the library... zero metal gear, none of the OGs, no remasters, no psp titles... only konami title i can see is castlevania lord of shadows 2

nullpoynter

My PS Plus subscription is paid until 2024. With the new model is there anyway to upgrade to the Premium level for just a month or two? When PS Now was its own service it was easy to subscribe for a month or two at a time. I'm assuming there is no way to do this now but figured I would ask.

Swift_Star

Banned
My PS Plus subscription is paid until 2024. With the new model is there anyway to upgrade to the Premium level for just a month or two? When PS Now was its own service it was easy to subscribe for a month or two at a time. I'm assuming there is no way to do this now but figured I would ask.
I don’t think so.

As long as they improve it sure, but you never know with Sony.
This is a service that will be built from this first month. Sony will want people to subscribe to their top tier. This time they have everything riding on their catalog games and trials for that to be successful.

Being good with their legacy will be crucial for that. I'm sure once all countries are using this new service they will start giving us more games.

This is a service that will be built from this first month. Sony will want people to subscribe to their top tier. This time they have everything riding on their catalog games and trials for that to be successful.

Being good with their legacy will be crucial for that. I'm sure once all countries are using this new service they will start giving us more games.
That is what I'm hoping for, Extra is pretty good already, Deluxe and Premium not so much.

That is what I'm hoping for, Extra is pretty good already, Deluxe and Premium not so much.
You can tell they rushed the premium tier. But at the same time it's the one that includes games not yet on these platforms. I'm sure they have long term plans for it.
I remember Jim Ryan mentioning they were in contact with over 200 developers that were on board for this new PS Plus service. I'm sure the best is yet to come.

Just yesterday I read news that Sony is more than doubling Brazil's servers for streaming which Brazil still doesn't have.

There's a lot of work to be done for sure but this is where they make the most money so I'm sure they won't drop the ball here. In typical Sony fashion we will be the beta testers for this and they will eventually hear most criticisms people have so far.

Well, they need a constant stream of content to justify a monthly subscription. At least there is this incentive.

But a lot of those PSX games....play like ass.
Plenty of them aged fine as long as Sony provides proper emulation and good filters.

You can tell they rushed the premium tier. But at the same time it's the one that includes games not yet on these platforms. I'm sure they have long term plans for it.
I remember Jim Ryan mentioning they were in contact with over 200 developers that were on board for this new PS Plus service. I'm sure the best is yet to come.

Just yesterday I read news that Sony is more than doubling Brazil's servers for streaming which Brazil still doesn't have.

There's a lot of work to be done for sure but this is where they make the most money so I'm sure they won't drop the ball here. In typical Sony fashion we will be the beta testers for this and they will eventually hear most criticisms people have so far.
Where did you get that info from? PS3 streaming does interest me, despite not being the ideal way to play those games. I'm still curious as to how they are emulating PS3 on their servers, it can't be PS3 blades at this point can it?

Last edited:
Plenty of them aged fine as long as Sony provides proper emulation and good filters.

Where did you get that info from? PS3 streaming does interest me, despite not being the ideal way to play those games. I'm still curious as to how they are emulating PS3 on their servers, it can't be PS3 blades at this point can it?
Oh you're from Brazil? If so read here .
It's in Portuguese.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Strange about Director's Cut not avaiable for individual... is this some temporary PSPlus exclusive?
I think it's just a Capcom thing like they took the money up front to include it there but honestly I think they'd be better served just offering both options. I haven't increased my sub and won't to premium but I've bought two games already and will happily pay $10-20 for classics in the future.

So... have there been any hints that there will be more PS1 and PSP (I have no faith they will bother with more PS2 games) games released in the future?
I don't want to assume that they will release any more... People assumed that the pitiful amount of releases for PS1 and PSP classics announced over a month or so ago were just a preview of the final list, but those assumptions were dead wrong.
I'm extremely pessimistic about this service and the "Premium option."

Belthazar

People assumed that the pitiful amount of releases for PS1 and PSP classics announced over a month or so ago were just a preview of the final list, but those assumptions were dead wrong.

They weren't wrong though, the service was released with a few more games than was announced.

The games originally announced to the service:

Ape Escape | PS1
Hot Shots Golf | PS1
I.Q. Intelligent Qube | PS1
Jumping Flash! | PS1
Syphon Filter | PS1
Super Stardust Portable | PSP
Mr. Driller | PS1
Tekken 2 | PS1
Worms World Party | PS1
Worms Armageddon | PS1

On top of those the service launched with:

Resident Evil: Director’s Cut |PS1
Wild Arms | PS1
Toy Story 2 | PS1
Echochrome | PSP
Oddworld: Abe's Odyssey | PS1

So, it was announced with 10 games and was released with 15... A 50% increase is not bad, at all.

And yes, they said each tier of the service will refresh monthly, which includes the classics.

Last edited:

yurinka

Strange about Director's Cut not avaiable for individual... is this some temporary PSPlus exclusive?
Maybe it's only a human mistake, they uploaded a gazillion games the system and changed a lot of stuff, so there may be some mistakes here and there. Like when they did put Tekken 2 with $9,999 as pricing instead of $9.99. I assume that if there is some issues there these, when noticed and reported they'll fix it asap.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
NeonGhost NeonGhost asked me how I could possibly not know how PS+ services work.

The joke is that I don't have time to research and figure out how PS+ works because I'm an adult that works and pays taxes. Don't get bent out of shape, though, it's just banter. I am on NeoGaf almost everyday.
Do you really needs to do research that every subscription service out there rotates content in and out

The Fartist

Gold Member
Do you really needs to do research that every subscription service out there rotates content in and out
I knew about rotation, I didn't know an installed game gets locked when it's no longer in the catalog, I just thought it was like the three monthly games we would get in the regular PS+, once you download it, it's yours to keep. Calm down, dude.

Agent X

PS3 streaming does interest me, despite not being the ideal way to play those games. I'm still curious as to how they are emulating PS3 on their servers, it can't be PS3 blades at this point can it?

As far as we know, they are still using modified PS3-based hardware for streaming.

TLZ

Banned
PS+ already has like 800 games at launch. What did you expect, to put there 5000? They already did a big effort putting there most of their main PS4 and PS5 games. Be patient, they'll keep adding.
Where did I say I expect 5000? And what's PS4/5 games have to do with what I'm saying? I'm clearly talking about PS1/2/P games. And I clearly said their first party games for each of them shouldn't be hard, especially PS1, so we should've had more than what we have now as a start. I don't know what you're arguing here.

T-Cake

That'll be why there have been no PS3 additions to PS Now for as long as I can remember. They'll gradually start removing those games as their licence contracts expire. I suspect by the end of this decade the PS3 and all its associated servers and software will be a distant memory. Unless they actually work on an emulator for PS6.

LQX

Is there a link to access just the monthly PS+ games for the poor people? I hate that I now have to scroll through a bunch of shit not available to my subscription.

jaysius

Banned
Nah, it ain't like that, Sony has tried making the PS1 library available multiple times already and every time they quickly lost interest in improving it. I really hope they are committed this time and keep refining it and getting the essential games there.
They also made Game Trials a perk at the inception of PS Plus almost 10 years ago too.
It too shall be dropped after floundering for a while AGAIN.

Top Bottom