• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PlayStation Plus is live in the US | Sony’s classic PlayStation games on PS Plus are 60hz in North America

Meicyn

Gold Member
Did you test it?

FVJU589VEAAb7-p
I paid the $150 and it worked. It would have cost $240 at normal price, and I already am getting my money’s worth since there’s a ridiculous amount of games I was considering but didn’t buy yet. Demon’s Souls and Returnal were two of those games.

I should have stacked PS Plus even more like you had back when the Black Friday sale was going on CDKeys.

TLZ

Banned
There are no Vita games. And only one PSP game.

The classics section has:
24 PS2 games (all previously available on PS4/PS5)
12 PSX games
1 PSP game
Knew this would happen. 400+ streaming PS3 games, which means us in Deluxe tier countries (no PS3 streaming) will only have a handful of classics.
Gravity Rush and Wipeout 2048 are Vita games.
They are included there remastered/remade in Gravity Rush an Wipeout Omega Collection.
And there also many remastered/remade PSP (plus PS1 or PS2) games more there, like the Patapon or Loco Roco series to name a few.

We were promised over 400 classic games from pre PS4 platforms. In the list there are 450 and they will keep adding every month.
400+ of them are streaming PS3 games. That's a huge bloat imo.

Katajx

Gold Member
I had 10 month of ps now and 10 month of ps plus, now they someone just made it i have 10 month of ps plus premium. I trry chatting with support in how i end up with just 10 month. They jus say read the converion table and cut me off.
Iirc on the PS blog I think they explained this as the conversion would have to do with the price of what you were redeeming.

I could be mistaken, but I think they gave the example of Ps+(1 year) = $60 became essential, and PS+ and PSNow(1 year at $60?) together would get you at 1 year of Premium.

The playstation classic mini had a better collection of old school games and it only had 20 games on it. This is a major letdown. On top of that, you have to pay extra for these "classics" and all you really get is Syphon Filter.

The PS2 was a legendary console and you're getting nothing.

We need the Metal Gear Solid games. Once a cornerstone of the playstation universe has been relegated to something you have to play on a 15 year old machine.

Give me some 989 sports games. Give me the Cool Boarders games. Give me Gran Turismo.

Would it kill them to put GTA IV on there? They have Red Dead 1.

I have no idea why they pushed the top tier as a way to play classic games when they didn't have the library. They should be basing this service on providing current AAA games because the classic offering is hot garbage.

legacy24

I had like 110 days left on my ps+ and spent $17 to upgrade to premium, but want to turn off auto-renew. I can’t find it anywhere, I know it used to be under subscription management. Did they get rid of it? all it says is cancel or change plans. this is so shady

Last edited:

Agent X

where are all these supposed PSP games??? I saw Echochrome but pretty sure thats a ps4 port because it was already on PS Now

The version of Echochrome that's available now is the PSP version of the game, emulated on PS4. The version that was previously available on PS Now was the PS3 version, only available through streaming.

Aside from the graphical differences (mostly having to do with the PS3's higher resolution), I believe both versions of the game have different levels.

I wish they would have offered more PSP games, too. We know that Super Stardust Portable is coming (it was originally announced for the initial batch), and Resistance: Retribution is supposedly in the pipeline. I hope they bring over a lot more PSP games, because many of the PSP's finest and most memorable games aen't available now on any contemporary systems.

sachos

Man i really hope they improve the emulators. We need an option to disable dithering and perspective correction feature found on DuckStation to truly make PS1 games look good in high res, otherwise it looks weird imo. At least i know Digital Foundry and MVG care a lot about this stuff so they wont go easy on them.

Rayderism

I had like 110 days left on my ps+ and spent $17 to upgrade to premium, but want to turn off auto-renew. I can’t find it anywhere, I know it used to be under subscription management. Did they get rid of it? all it says is cancel or change plans. this is so shady

The "cancel subscription" is the same as turning off auto-renew. It won't actually remove any of the PS+ time you have left. They just worded it weird.

The playstation classic mini had a better collection of old school games and it only had 20 games on it. This is a major letdown. On top of that, you have to pay extra for these "classics" and all you really get is Syphon Filter.

The PS2 was a legendary console and you're getting nothing.

We need the Metal Gear Solid games. Once a cornerstone of the playstation universe has been relegated to something you have to play on a 15 year old machine.

Give me some 989 sports games. Give me the Cool Boarders games. Give me Gran Turismo.

Would it kill them to put GTA IV on there? They have Red Dead 1.

I have no idea why they pushed the top tier as a way to play classic games when they didn't have the library. They should be basing this service on providing current AAA games because the classic offering is hot garbage.

Jesus Christ have some patience lol. These services take a bit to get everything up to par. GamePass 2022 is a lot different from GamePass 2017.

Also to the bolded, well apparently that option is not viable for most AAA games and even the service that's been sold on that as its mantra has had a lot of problems living up to it (and has virtually no 3P AAA games in it Day 1).

Completely forgot about settings.

UJqPQyV.jpg

6edEn84.jpg

s2UH921.jpg

CRT filter option looks good, wish they had a curved edges option for it as well though to complete the look.

It might be a bit much to do and require a lot of extra programming on Sony's part but adding bezels along the edges of the CRT filter option that had soft-light reflections of the game content the way some CRT monitors/television would in a dark room.

That would probably require some tricky RT calculations though on the emulator side being able to sample the frame content of the current game playing, don't know if it's doable or what amount of manpower & costs would be associated with it (plus they'd have to do it with all emulated games including PS3 titles even if those are streaming-only).

I just checked my expiration date for PS Premium.......5/8/2029 lol
Me stupidly buying a year of PS+ every time it went on sale was not so stupid. 😁

Damn the stacking some of you are getting is insane. That's like a decade worth of stacks. I'm guessing an absolute minority of people actually did it tho let alone knew of it otherwise they'd probably have a cutoff.

Last edited:

AGRacing

Why wouldn't they include the option to keep the boot animations / logos / sound effects for classic games when they start up. This is such an obvious no brainer. They do know who are buying these games right ? Can someone please wake the hell up the team responsible for bringing these games to the platform!? GIVE US THE NOSTALGIA!

Speaking of NOSTALGIA. PS1 Year 1 and 2. The die hard fans. The first PlayStation owners. The people who were there in the beginning (me) and still want an excuse to be there today. You can't throw us Ridge Racer? Wip3out? Destruction Derby? Cyber Sled? Would it have been so hard to give us as close to the PS1 launch lineup as possible?

What are you going to tell me? "OH Namco didn't want the money.."

Come on.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Why wouldn't they include the option to keep the boot animations / logos / sound effects for classic games when they start up. This is such an obvious no brainer. They do know who are buying these games right ? Can someone please wake the hell up the team responsible for bringing these games to the platform!? GIVE US THE NOSTALGIA!

Speaking of NOSTALGIA. PS1 Year 1 and 2. The die hard fans. The first PlayStation owners. The people who were there in the beginning (me) and still want an excuse to be there today. You can't throw us Ridge Racer? Wip3out? Destruction Derby? Cyber Sled? Would it have been so hard to give us as close to the PS1 launch lineup as possible?

What are you going to tell me? "OH Namco didn't want the money.."

Come on.
I think it would be ok if they had some kind of rollout road map. Something so we can look forward to stuff.

I kind of expected ff7 would be on there with some things like faster load times

Last edited:
If Sony was serious about competing with GP they would've had a decent sized selection of BC games at 60 fps available on the new PS plus which would include games from ps1/ps2/PS3/ps4 and ps5 available not just to stream but download...

I got excited for a minute because they have ps3 games listed in the "classics" section on the store and it doesn't say "only via streaming" but there's no way ps3 games are available to DL, right? Cause THAT would be great and make Gow Ascension, motorstorm, etc much more enjoyable to play than through streaming only ....

Varteras

Gold Member
The Extra catalogue is pretty solid. The Premium catalogue needs more to it. I was pleasantly surprised to see the original Resident Evil on there and Tekken 2 was my fighting game jam back in the day. But I wanna see a lot more of the games I loved on the earlier platforms. Xenogears. Legend of Dragoon. Parasite Eve. Metal Gear Solid. The current offerings for PS1, PS2, and PSP games are very anemic. I'm sure it'll grow over time but the best part of Premium are the remasters, which frankly I think is a little shitty that they took remasters released on PS4 and separated them from PS4 games in the Extra catalogue. But, it's not some deal breaker for me and they probably needed to do that because they knew they wouldn't have many downloadable games in that package early on.

bender

What time is it?
If Sony was serious about competing with GP they would've had a decent sized selection of BC games at 60 fps available on the new PS plus which would include games from ps1/ps2/PS3/ps4 and ps5 available not just to stream but download...

I got excited for a minute because they have ps3 games listed in the "classics" section on the store and it doesn't say "only via streaming" but there's no way ps3 games are available to DL, right? Cause THAT would be great and make Gow Ascension, motorstorm, etc much more enjoyable to play than through streaming only ....

Sadly, I think the below is probably the majority view when it comes to backwards compatibility (no offense Kagero Kagero ), It's a great feature but I doubt it moves the needle much for selling a system or service. PS3 games are streaming only. And speaking of that, this is my first experience with Sony streaming. I'm playing Ico and haven't run into any issues yet. Starting up games does tend to take a little longer than I'd expect though.

Absolute zero interest in playing old games. My backlog is way too crazy and it’s only getting bigger :(

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
My only disappointments are that not all PS1 and PS2 games have trophy lists. I would love to get the platinum on Toy Story 2. Oh and Streaming games is fucking cancer. Fix your shit, Sony. Let me play PS3 games like I would any other.

Last edited:

Robbinhood

Banned
I have Now til June 22 and Plus til 2026, I've been upgraded to Premium but on the phone app it still shows my Now sub that will bill 12.99 on June 22. Do I need to hit that cancel button? Or will that remove me from Plus. I'm scared to mess with it, curious what happens on the 22nd.

Leonidas

It sucks that I can't download Tekken 2, bought it for $0.96 on PS3 during a Flash Sale years ago, back when PS3 had sales, and refuse to enter Sony's Premium subscription service.

Glad I don't have PS+ and won't get PS Premium. My PS3 digital games collection kicks the ass of PlayStation Premium classic games.

Rayderism

Posted this in one of the other PS+ threads, but that "cancel subscription" thing is basically just turning off auto-renew. It won't wipe out any of the PS+ time you have left. Basically, they're calling auto-renew a "subscription" now.

Anyway, I went ahead and upgraded to Premium. My "essential" sub was good until Oct. 2024. To go to Premium cost $150 including tax. Did it mostly so I don't have to have PSN telling me "no" to anything.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I completely forgot about Syphon Filter's wonky ass controls. Still have memories of that first level though.

I hope they bring Logan's Shadow and Dark Mirror from the PSP over.

Last edited:

Rea

Wow US market has more games compare to my country. And there's alot of game that I want to play. PS plus extra is a steal. Time to sub my US account.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Can someone show me how to stream these games on my PC? Or am i mistaken. Thanks in advance.
You'll need to have PS+ Premium, then download the new app from here...

Last edited:

Katajx

Gold Member
I feel a little bit better about this. Upgrading from the monthly gives you a prorated fee for upgrading on my son’s account, but so far it doesn’t work the same for the yearly.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I completely forgot about Syphon Filter's wonky ass controls. Still have memories of that first level though.

I hope they bring Logan's Shadow and Dark Mirror from the PSP over.
Years ago I’d just go around stunning people and setting them on fire. I never got very far. It’s like controlling a boat on water. You’ll bump into something whenever you turn around. I’d like to see them bring ONE because that’s a fun shooter.

leo-j

Lucky to have the grandfathered $9.99 ps now sub. Rather have a month to month than commit to a whole year.

hollams

Gold Member
So I have Premium plus, I'm logged in, and maybe im really blind, but i cant find the button to download for window's PC.

It's at the bottom of the page. Somehow I finally found it last night at 11:30 so I only got to try 2 games.

God of War. The first level is still one of the bests in gaming.

Resistance 3. I wanted to see how well the service was with streaming an FPS game and I was pleasantly surprised. I didn't notice any lag at all and somehow it felt better than when I first played it.

MScarpa

[/URL]

It's at the bottom of the page. Somehow I finally found it last night at 11:30 so I only got to try 2 games.

God of War. The first level is still one of the bests in gaming.

Resistance 3. I wanted to see how well the service was with streaming an FPS game and I was pleasantly surprised. I didn't notice any lag at all and somehow it felt better than when I first played it.
Thank you!! So i think maybe it wasn't there during the day yesterday cause I swear I would have seen it there. Thanks again.

Top Bottom