• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PlayStation Plus is live in the US | Sony’s classic PlayStation games on PS Plus are 60hz in North America

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Check out how PlayStation Classic games look on the All-New PlayStation Plus compared to the original hardware! Note: This is an updated comparison featuring the 60Hz games that were released with the NA version of PS+!

0:00 Full-Scale Comparison
6:11 Half-Scale Comparison

Upgraded to extra for 20 bucks for the rest of the year to play Deliver us the moon and Stray next month. Will see if they add meaningful games these first few months if not, back to essential.

yurinka

Is this all it is for good now? Or are they going to be adding more? Where is Metal Gear and Silent Hill?
where are all these supposed PSP games??? I saw Echochrome but pretty sure thats a ps4 port because it was already on PS Now
Knew this would happen. 400+ streaming PS3 games, which means us in Deluxe tier countries (no PS3 streaming) will only have a handful of classics.

400+ of them are streaming PS3 games. That's a huge bloat imo.
The global release still isn't complete, they still have to release it in Europe, so they may add more games next week for the final global release. After that they'll keep adding games every month and removing others, as happened in PS Now and GP.

We know they are working on adding more games because we saw some of them rated, including PS1 emulated games like Syphon Filter 2 and 3 or PSP emulated games like Resistance Retribution or Ridge Racers 2.

There should be way less than 400 PS3 streaming games, because in addition to the native PS3 games and the thirty something PS1/PS2/PSP emulated games the "classics catalog" has many PS1, PS2, PSP, Vita and PS3 games are under its "remasters" tab of the "classics collection", which includes PS4/PS5 remasters or remakes of these games. From PSP there are the Loco Roco series, Patapon series, Wipeout Omega Collecton etc. Unlike the native PS3 games, the remasters/remakes of PS3 or Vita games like Uncharted Nathan Drake Collection or Gravity Rush Remastered are native PS4 or PS5 games so they can be downloaded and played offline.

Not sure if they are also included in that remasters folder, but I know that as exceptons a few remasters or remakes of PS1 and PS3 games are also available in Extra: Demon's Souls remake, Shadow of the Colossus remake, the Final Fantasy ones or any PS3 games included in Ubisoft+.

Last edited:

yurinka

I'd bet the image in the right is also emulated footage from PS3 or PC and not original footage captured from PSX because it doesn't feature the dithering of the original version, which is noticiable in the lights of Syphon Filter.

Question, I have regular tier but won’t renew until December; I plan on upgrading to the highest Premium tier, will I only have to pay the difference? Or will it charge full price?
While your subscription is still active, you can migrate your remaining months to a higher tier paying the difference. Example: let's say you have exactly a year remaining of the old PS+ (now renamed to PS+Essential) and a year osts $60/year and you want to migrate it to Premium ($120/year). The difference is $60, so you'll have to pay that to upgrade your remaining year.

I don't know what is the pricing when there are several months and days, it may use the monthly fee prices instead of yearly fee prices.

Once you run out of the remaining sub and renew (o expand your current one) you'll be charged the normal full price (let's say after upgrading to Premium you want to get 2 years more of additional PS Premium, it would be $120x2=$240 more).

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
The global release still isn't complete, they still have to release it in Europe, so they may add more games next week for the final global release. After that they'll keep adding games every month and removing others, as happened in PS Now and GP.

We know they are working on adding more games because we saw some of them rated, including PS1 emulated games like Syphon Filter 2 and 3 or PSP emulated games like Resistance Retribution or Ridge Racers 2.

There should be way less than 400 PS3 streaming games, because in addition to the native PS3 games and the thirty something PS1/PS2/PSP emulated games the "classics catalog" has many PS1, PS2, PSP, Vita and PS3 games are under its "remasters" tab of the "classics collection", which includes PS4/PS5 remasters or remakes of these games. From PSP there are the Loco Roco series, Patapon series, Wipeout Omega Collecton etc. Unlike the native PS3 games, the remasters/remakes of PS3 or Vita games like Uncharted Nathan Drake Collection or Gravity Rush Remastered are native PS4 or PS5 games so they can be downloaded and played offline.

Not sure if they are also included in that remasters folder, but I know that as exceptons a few remasters or remakes of PS1 and PS3 games are also available in Extra: Demon's Souls remake, Shadow of the Colossus remake, the Final Fantasy ones or any PS3 games included in Ubisoft+.
They shouldn't remove any of the PS1/2/P games. They're very little as they are and these should only grow. They should've started with at least 30-50 games for each of these classic consoles given their huge library. 38 over 3 consoles as a start really is nothing.

I counted the PS3 games yesterday and I think they're around 380 games. 380 from just one console while 3 others that are easier to emulate only have 38... This is a huge disappointment imo.

Also those 380 PS3 are actually 0 playable for me since I'm in Australia and can't play them. I'd also rather play them locally anyway. I hope that does happen this generation somehow.

Chronicle

I upgraded to Extra for the remainder of the year. I gotta admit (I'm a subscription naysayer) it's a good service for me at the moment. I get Demons Souls, Returnal and Miles Morales for like 20 bucks. Probably another game I'm not thinking of at the moment too. That's not too bad. However there is a lot of bloat for someone of my game tastes. I'm sure it's the same on gamepass. Time will tell.

scydrex

Subscribed to extra. Downloaded Demon Souls, Returnal, Death Stranding, Miles an Ghost. So to me is already worth it. Those games on Amazon new was a total of $294. Paid like $3 because my Plus ends this July 2nd but will subscribe again of course.

Also you can upgrade or buy the Spiderman remaster for $20 if you select upgrase Miles to ultimate. The one they give is the PS4 GOTY and they shouls have included the remaster for PS5 users. IDK if i will buy the remaster maybe...

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I upgraded to Extra for the remainder of the year. I gotta admit (I'm a subscription naysayer) it's a good service for me at the moment. I get Demons Souls, Returnal and Miles Morales for like 20 bucks. Probably another game I'm not thinking of at the moment too. That's not too bad. However there is a lot of bloat for someone of my game tastes. I'm sure it's the same on gamepass. Time will tell.

Yeah I got one year of PS+ Deluxe. They have one year to prove to me that this sub is worth it. So far at launch, it is. But I'm going to need more games like Stray to make me renew next year.

mckmas8808

Upgraded to extra for 20 bucks for the rest of the year to play Deliver us the moon and Stray next month. Will see if they add meaningful games these first few months if not, back to essential.

I thought Deliver us the moon was only on GamePass......

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Subscribed to extra. Downloaded Demon Souls, Returnal, Death Stranding, Miles an Ghost. So to me is already worth it. Those games on Amazon new was a total of $294. Paid like $3 because my Plus ends this July 2nd but will subscribe again of course.

Also you can upgrade or buy the Spiderman remaster for $20 if you select upgrase Miles to ultimate. The one they give is the PS4 GOTY and they shouls have included the remaster for PS5 users. IDK if i will buy the remaster maybe...
Awesome.

Yup. Sub plans are awesome value. It's your money and if you think it's a good deal do it. Dont let any purists on the board try to convince you otherwise with their junk like: "you dont own the game" or "you'd help studios more if you buy the game" or "if you sub, game studios will make worse games" or "you're not a real gamer if you sub". Let those gamers buy them for $70.

As long as you arent a day one gamer itching to buy every game at $70, just wait it out for sub plans. And if it looks like it wont come on sub plan, then buy it a year later for $30. A lot gamers just dont like it they cant help, but buy day one for full price and then see someone else play the same game for dirt cheap Because it makes them feel like idiots they couldnt help themselves.

Let head office at Sony or MS figure out their balance sheets. I'm pretty sure theyre doing fine as Sony makes $12 billion profit per year, and MS is around $70 billion.

Last edited:

scydrex

Awesome.

Yup. Sub plans are awesome value. It's your money and if you think it's a good deal do it. Dont let any purists on the board try to convince you otherwise with their junk like: "you dont own the game" or "you'd help studios more if you buy the game" or "if you sub, game studios will make worse games" or "you're not a real gamer if you sub". Let those gamers buy them for $70.

As long as you arent a day one gamer itching to buy every game at $70, just wait it out for sub plans. And if it looks like it wont come on sub plan, then buy it a year later for $30. A lot gamers just dont like it they cant help, but buy day one for full price and then see someone else play the same game for dirt cheap Because it makes them feel like idiots they couldnt help themselves.

Let head office at Sony or MS figure out their balance sheets. I'm pretty sure theyre doing fine as Sony makes $12 billion profit per year, and MS is around $70 billion.

Yeah. I'm not a day one gamer anymore. Also i don't pay $60-70 for a game anymore. I live outside the USA and sadly is more expensive than 5 or 10 years ago to own games. I prefer physical or disc but honestly you know what? If i can save money like i did now with Plus Extra then i will choose that and forget about ownership. If i want to own one then i will buy it physical when it gets cheaper. The total for me to own those game would have been $302 in total so if i pay 1 year of extra $100 i save $202.

bender

What time is it?
Playing through Ico which is my first experience with streaming on PlayStation (PSNow?) and it seems to work well. I also finished Mafia Definitive Edition last night. The amount of love and care that went into the remake is impressive. I haven't played since the original and even with the update controls and mechanics, I can't say it has aged all that well.

Up next is either Assassin's Creed Valhalla or Ghost of Tsushima DE. The download sizes for those games are insane though.

Chronicle

Yeah I got one year of PS+ Deluxe. They have one year to prove to me that this sub is worth it. So far at launch, it is. But I'm going to need more games like Stray to make me renew next year.
Yeah I almost went with premium but didn't think I'd really play any classics so Extra it is.

It's really a gamble - On one hand you can stay subbed and hope games you wish to play eventually get released on the service; which they may not or could take far too long.
Or unsub and just get the games you wish full pop or on sale.

So far so good though. As I get older I buy less games. So an extra one or two with the service is a real plus for me.

G-Bus

Banned
Booted up the ps5 last night and was greeted with the new PSN service prompt. Checking it out and I see it was only an extra $30 for like 300 days of the "extra" tier.

They got me. Ideally ill keep the sub for the remaining year and see how that goes but I'll probably forget and auto renew will do it's thing

The catalogue doesn't look bad either. Only flipped through half but found quite a few games I'm interested in checking out so I'm happy.

Tiny bit curious how it compares to game pass.

Last edited:
Playing through Ico which is my first experience with streaming on PlayStation (PSNow?) and it seems to work well. I also finished Mafia Definitive Edition last night. The amount of love and care that went into the remake is impressive. I haven't played since the original and even with the update controls and mechanics, I can't say it has aged all that well.

Up next is either Assassin's Creed Valhalla or Ghost of Tsushima DE. The download sizes for those games are insane though.
ive noticed some crossgen games, they seem to combine the download size of both PS5 & PS4? because when i went to download HFW...it was some insane number. like 155gb. but wasn't that big when it actually downloaded

mckmas8808

Yeah I almost went with premium but didn't think I'd really play any classics so Extra it is.

It's really a gamble - On one hand you can stay subbed and hope games you wish to play eventually get released on the service; which they may not or could take far too long.
Or unsub and just get the games you wish full pop or on sale.

So far so good though. As I get older I buy less games. So an extra one or two with the service is a real plus for me.

You're not interested in the Game Trials that are coming up?

The Fartist

Gold Member
Upgraded to premium for $16 USD. Are the games added to my catalogue after I download so I can redownload in the future if I delete them at some point?

bender

What time is it?
ive noticed some crossgen games, they seem to combine the download size of both PS5 & PS4? because when i went to download HFW...it was some insane number. like 155gb. but wasn't that big when it actually downloaded

Interesting. Both AC and GOT showed north of 100GB.

ManaByte

Gold Member
10 million dollars.
Sad Amber Heard GIF by xponentialdesign

yurinka

They shouldn't remove any of the PS1/2/P games. They're very little as they are and these should only grow. They should've started with at least 30-50 games for each of these classic consoles given their huge library. 38 over 3 consoles as a start really is nothing.

I counted the PS3 games yesterday and I think they're around 380 games. 380 from just one console while 3 others that are easier to emulate only have 38... This is a huge disappointment imo.

Also those 380 PS3 are actually 0 playable for me since I'm in Australia and can't play them. I'd also rather play them locally anyway. I hope that does happen this generation somehow.
I assume it will be like in PS Now, Gamepass or Apple Arcade: the game publisher signs with the platform holder to include their game there during X months or years and after this time they negotiate if they want to continue having the game there or not. If they agree to keep the game there, then the platform holder pays again the publisher a certain amount of money.

Regarding PS3 games included in PS+ a good much of them will be streamed only native PS3 games so you won't be able to play them from Australia. But many other PS3 games will be crossgen ports, remasters or remakes for PS4 or PS5 included in the PS+ Premium (and Deluxe) 'Classics catalog'.

Regarding streaming, from time to time they support more countries. With this PS+ relaunch they'll support 11 countries more and now they'll support a total of 11 countries. Unfortunately Australia still isn't one of them. So instead of having PS+ Premium you'll have at a reduced price PS+ Deluxe instead, which will be like Premium but without the cloud gaming (which also means not having access to the PS3 games that aren't ports/remasters/remakes for PS4 or PS5).

With the release in each country they added more games, and still have to release it in Europe and Australia, so maybe they add more games next week. And after that they'll add more games every month.

Wait, so they've locked those 'PS2' games behind the higher tier even though they're all PS4 ports?
Yes, the highest tier features the normal PS+, the over 400 PS4 and PS5 games from the Extra tier and on top of that adds cloud gaming, game trials and over 300 games more which are remakes, remasters, ports or emulated PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP or Vita games. A small portion of these over 700 or 800 games are PS2 games (some of them emulated, some of them remastered or remade).

Last edited:

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
I'm not subbing but I did download SiFi and bought Ape Escape and Buzz Lightyear. Won't support Capcom trying to force people to sub to have their game. May try the remake though as I can buy that individually

bender

What time is it?

You are on the money. When I went to download AC, it gave me an option for the PS5 version (80GB+) or the PS4 version (40GB+).

skit_data

Is God of War Ascension and the PSP GoW games on Premium? I saw Jaffe tweeting about it being there but can’t find them in the lists of available games? I hope they’ll be there in Europe as well.

TLZ

Banned
I assume it will be like in PS Now, Gamepass or Apple Arcade: the game publisher signs with the platform holder to include their game there during X months or years and after this time they negotiate if they want to continue having the game there or not. If they agree to keep the game there, then the platform holder pays again the publisher a certain amount of money.
I understand. But what about their many first party games from the PS1/2/P? There are plenty they could've added day one and would stay in the Catalog indefinitely. Even if you say they might be added later, no one knows when and what, it still disappoints me at this moment the list we have. Just the first party at the very least to start with.

Slaylock

I understand. But what about their many first party games from the PS1/2/P? There are plenty they could've added day one and would stay in the Catalog indefinitely. Even if you say they might be added later, no one knows when and what, it still disappoints me at this moment the list we have. Just the first party at the very least to start with.
PS1 Games on Day One:
  • Worms Armageddon
  • Worms World Party
  • Oddworld
  • Tekken 2
  • Mr Driller
  • HotShots Golf
  • I.Q Intelligent Qube
  • Ape Escape
  • Echochrome
  • Jumping Flash
  • Syphon Filter
  • Wild Arms
  • Resident Evil Director’s Cut
Nintendo Switch Online NES Games on Day One:
  • Soccer
  • Super Mario Bros.
  • The Legend of Zelda
  • Ghosts ‘n Goblins
  • Excitebike
  • Tennis
  • Balloon Fight
  • Super Mario Bros. 3
  • Techmo Bowl
  • Yoshi
  • Donkey Kong
  • Ice Climber
  • Double Dragon
  • Gradius
  • Ice Hockey
  • Mario Bros.
  • Dr. Mario
  • River City Ransom
  • Pro Wrestling
  • Baseball
The list of NES games started pretty small but has grown steadily. I would imagine the PS1 list would grow similarly.

ManaByte

Gold Member
PS1 Games on Day One:
  • Worms Armageddon
  • Worms World Party
  • Oddworld
  • Tekken 2
  • Mr Driller
  • HotShots Golf
  • I.Q Intelligent Qube
  • Ape Escape
  • Echochrome
  • Jumping Flash
  • Syphon Filter
  • Wild Arms
  • Soccer
  • Super Mario Bros.
  • The Legend of Zelda
  • Ghosts ‘n Goblins
  • Excitebike
  • Tennis
  • Balloon Fight
  • Super Mario Bros. 3
  • Techmo Bowl
  • Yoshi
  • Donkey Kong
  • Ice Climber
  • Double Dragon
  • Gradius
  • Ice Hockey
  • Mario Bros.
  • Dr. Mario
  • River City Ransom
  • Pro Wrestling
  • Baseball
The list of NES games started pretty small but has grown steadily. I would imagine the PS1 list would grow similarly.

Compare the NES games to what we got. Mario and Mario 3, Zelda, Excitebike, Double Dragon, Gradius, Dr. Mario. Pretty big hitters. The PS1 selection is almost a joke in comparison.

Reactions: TLZ

DaGwaphics

If anyone still hasn't played RE DC, you should. Great game. The first encounter with both zombies and dogs were so well done.

Great news about the 60fps

TLZ

Banned
PS1 Games on Day One:
  • Worms Armageddon
  • Worms World Party
  • Oddworld
  • Tekken 2
  • Mr Driller
  • HotShots Golf
  • I.Q Intelligent Qube
  • Ape Escape
  • Echochrome
  • Jumping Flash
  • Syphon Filter
  • Wild Arms
  • Soccer
  • Super Mario Bros.
  • The Legend of Zelda
  • Ghosts ‘n Goblins
  • Excitebike
  • Tennis
  • Balloon Fight
  • Super Mario Bros. 3
  • Techmo Bowl
  • Yoshi
  • Donkey Kong
  • Ice Climber
  • Double Dragon
  • Gradius
  • Ice Hockey
  • Mario Bros.
  • Dr. Mario
  • River City Ransom
  • Pro Wrestling
  • Baseball

Compare the NES games to what we got. Mario and Mario 3, Zelda, Excitebike, Double Dragon, Gradius, Dr. Mario. Pretty big hitters. The PS1 selection is almost a joke in comparison.
What he said ^.

Also, we know Nintendo are stingy. We don't want to be comparing to them.

yurinka

PS+ already has like 800 games at launch. What did you expect, to put there 5000? They already did a big effort putting there most of their main PS4 and PS5 games. Be patient, they'll keep adding.

Last edited:
Top Bottom