• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf GOTY 2018 |OT| Results

Airbus Jr

Banned
This list proves that gaf members have some really bad taste in games.

No it doesn't

For at least the top three goty list doesn't differ much from any other website

Some gaf member can stop acting surprised and pretend that this result is an anomaly because it isnt

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Anybody hating GoW in first is just kidding, no?

It was the overall and deserved GOTY 2018 outside GAF.

The game is really amazing.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I approve Astro Bot in the top 10 :)

Still haven't played RDR 2 or dad of War yet. I was talked out of the latter by my cousin, who was a bit underwhelmed after the hype. I don't care at all about spiderman so that won't work for me.

If you like Astrobot, I highly, HIGHLY suggest you try Deracine. It has quickly become one of my favorite games of all time thanks to its story, music, and world/atmosphere.

hecatomb

Banned
No it doesn't

For at least the top three goty list doesn't differ much from any other website

Some gaf member can stop acting surprised and pretend that this result is an anomaly because it isnt
I love the hive mind mentality of some members here. You know what they say, if everyone would jump off a cliff would you? Red dead and assassins creed have to be some of the most over-rated games in 2018

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I love the hive mind mentality of some members here. You know what they say, if everyone would jump off a cliff would you? Red dead and assassins creed have to be some of the most over-rated games in 2018

Just make sure you're not standing too close to the edgy.

:messenger_squinting_tongue:

Greedings

Fuck I forgot MH:World came out this year. My vote would have been different.

Oh well GoW win is well deserved.

Ark switch? lmao that little lad got trolled.
Rough year though, Mario Tennis Aces was my only buy, simple mode was fantastic online but it's a wasteland now.

Looks like "Story" won out over "gameplay" this year. Interesting top ten, not quite in line with my own, but everybody has different tastes.

Wonder how the Vidya Gaem awards will look in comparisson.

ruvikx

Banned
Looks like "Story" won out over "gameplay" this year. Interesting top ten, not quite in line with my own, but everybody has different tastes.

I'd even question the "story" merits of many of those titles. Many moons ago, MGS1 on ps1 was absolutely a story driven game (literal espionage action thriller with unpredictable plot twists & memorable quotes... even the cheesy stuff), but that story was served by exemplary gameplay mechanisms (at the time) & a memorable adventure. What's so memorable about (I won't even name the game anymore because some people get their panties in a twist) listening to a brat kid whilst I run with a ball of light for 10 seconds & unlock yet another chest containing piece of pointless armor/enchantment/rune etc?

I had to pinch myself & ask "is this what people enjoy these days?". I won't even mention the abhorrent game maps which feature literal waypoints pinpointing the exact position of every collectable/quest. Far too much of the so-called "AAA gaming" has become a checklist of chores & busywork, basically, with pretences at storytelling which fall flat when compared to the actual cinematic genre they're attempting to emulate.

That's just my opinion. Not all fall into those traps (fortunately), but too much of the praised stuff does.

I'd even question the "story" merits of many of those titles. Many moons ago, MGS1 on ps1 was absolutely a story driven game (literal espionage action thriller with unpredictable plot twists & memorable quotes... even the cheesy stuff), but that story was served by exemplary gameplay mechanisms (at the time) & a memorable adventure. What's so memorable about (I won't even name the game anymore because some people get their panties in a twist) listening to a brat kid whilst I run with a ball of light for 10 seconds & unlock yet another chest containing piece of pointless armor/enchantment/rune etc?

I had to pinch myself & ask "is this what people enjoy these days?". I won't even mention the abhorrent game maps which feature literal waypoints pinpointing the exact position of every collectable/quest. Far too much of the so-called "AAA gaming" has become a checklist of chores & busywork, basically, with pretences at storytelling which fall flat when compared to the actual cinematic genre they're attempting to emulate.

That's just my opinion. Not all fall into those traps (fortunately), but too much of the praised stuff does.

I get where you're coming from and agree with your points, I think we might have similar tastes. Waypoints, QTEs, cinematic based gameplay and fetch questing are good examples catering to a casual market that has seeped into the very core of gaming. That's the consumer base that is deciding who sits on top. You just have to realize one man's glass of festering piss is another man's lemonade. Just accept that what you like =/= what the masses like and your life will be much better. I wouldn't have put Detroit in the top 25, but obviously a lot of people really enjoyed walking around doing quick-time events several times in different orders. Shadow of the Colossus is a refreshed 2005 game with dated gameplay, but again, enough people really liked playing the game again. I'm a little over halfway through Hollow Knight right now and so far I think it's pretty dull to the point I kind of wish I hadn't started it. That all said. I'm sure there are people that would disagree with my own top ten.

People voted, these were the results. It gives you perspective into where the game market currently sits.

Bryank75

Banned
Fighting the Valkyrie queen is definitely the greatest gaming memory of the year and probably generation. Thankfully I spent the time earlier to get the rune that slows time and the best special attacks...
In an industry constantly trying to take away ownership of your games, pushing always online and forcing loot boxes and dlc to be relevant, GOW was hammerblow to those forces.

Airbus Jr

Banned

Not a hive mind

The results are already out and and people have voted

If you're still complaining about/can't accept the results than that's your problem not mine

Three

I am looking at the amount of votes, and a Sony title vastly outvoted most other things.

I also do not think citing a result from 12 years ago has any prevalence on the industry today. If anything, Console Wars have changed ever so rapidly.

You may say its nonsense, but its boilerplate logic that people with an axe to grind see those results and make their conclusions there.

Sure the industry today is not the same as it was before and neither are preferences. That's the point.

Neogaf is an enthusiast gaming site. Back then a lot of people on GAF owned 360s and MS weren't concentrating on the casual crowd. Those were the GOTY results back then. Nobody called neogaf MSgaf though.

As I said, the games you see on the list today vastly outvoted most other things because a lot of people played and enjoyed those games. This isn't indicative of some skew on GAF it is indicative of the gaming landscape today even on any other site. It's not like God of War hasn't been winning GOTY almost everywhere.

If somebody has an axe to grind then they are not being logical and therefore I would still call the claim that this place skews towards a company rather than what the enthusiast crowd prefers and plays a specific year in time nonsense.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned

What AAA game doesn't have story these days?

Just because God of war and Red Dead Redemption 2 have story it doesn't mean the gameplay automatically sucks

I'd like to hear your own version of GOTY award

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
I'm triggered, because God of War @ number 1 is offensively wrong. Rendez-vous in a near-future once the hype machine has died down & people realize its flaws outweigh the positives. Constant repetitive environmental puzzles, backtracking over the same environment again, again & again, excessive pointless loot in a never-ending collectathon marathon which leads nowhere because most of the RPG elements/items are superfluous & repetitive arena battles against samey enemies from beginning until end.

2018 wasn't vintage, but God of War shouldn't be anywhere near the top. If that is the future of AAA gaming, I quit.
Nope.

;)

Relax, Boi.

Last edited:

demigod

Sure the industry today is not the same as it was before and neither are preferences. That's the point.

Neogaf is an enthusiast gaming site. Back then a lot of people on GAF owned 360s and MS weren't concentrating on the casual crowd. Those were the GOTY results back then. Nobody called neogaf MSgaf though.

As I said, the games you see on the list today vastly outvoted most other things because a lot of people played and enjoyed those games. This isn't indicative of some skew on GAF it is indicative of the gaming landscape today even on any other site. It's not like God of War hasn't been winning GOTY almost everywhere.

If somebody has an axe to grind then they are not being logical and therefore I would still call the claim that this place skews towards a company rather than what the enthusiast crowd prefers and plays a specific year in time nonsense.

Yep, gaf was pro MS last gen due to the 360 and you wouldn’t be hearing any of the sony fans saying msgaf. Now that the tables have turned all the xbox fans are salty so they call it sonygaf.

rəddəM

The Kratos' slap is hurting XBots faces over here.
Relax everybody, it's just a GOTY...
Let people like whatever they want to.

What AAA game doesn't have story these days?

Just because God of war and Red Dead Redemption 2 have story it doesn't mean the gameplay automatically sucks

I'd like to hear your own version of GOTY award

Sports games, racing games (although Horizon 4 kind of tries to have one). I never said GoW3 or RDR2 gameplay sucks, where did you get that from? I haven't even played either game. I'm talking about the word image that appears for each game in the category. The word "story" appears much more prominently than "gameplay" does, that was all.

TLZ

Banned
I'm happy DQXI made it on the list :D

This list proves that gaf members have some really bad taste in games.
Thank you. I'd rather have 'bad taste' in games then if these types win every year :)

Both story and gameplay were fun.

Nymphae

Banned
Of the games on that list that I played, which is like the top 3 and then Farcry, I would put Spiderman at #1. I'm already over Red Dead, it was great but, I'm just done with it. I want more Spider-Man though, I'm actually finding myself hoping that they release some more DLC. Didn't care for GoW at all.

dirthead

Banned
No Man's Sky: 66
Nier: Automata: 63
Sea of Thieves: 43

So two late PS4 ports beat out the exclusive and much hyped SoT? Wow...

The odd thing is that when I hear something's made by Rare, I actually expect it to be shit. It's like anti-hype.

No, its because, as impressive its level of detail is, its controls are below-average and many find the moment-to-moment gameplay "boring".

But the main reason RDR2 "lost" (got second place) is even simpler - God of War is better.

Bingo. It's even hard to pass off as subjective opinion. GOW is simply a better made video game. The moment to moment gameplay in RDR2 is actually embarrassing. It's like they haven't progressed at all since 2003 or something.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
The odd thing is that when I hear something's made by Rare, I actually expect it to be shit. It's like anti-hype.
There is nothing odd about Sea of Thieves. The only thing odd is you being inherently negative on anything that either is not on PC or is part of a company you deem as shit.

Why would Sea of Thieves be here scoring so high when its anti-hype? Perhaps its just a proper game, despite initial setbacks?

Acestanley

Neo Member
Solid list. I wouldve had smash and octopath higher, but every game on there is good. It sure wouldve been stupid if something like a reskinned tetris was #1 (and i own it)

Redneckerz

I would find that hard to believe. It might have been less prevalent, but non-existing i doubt.

There is no such thing as a logical troll. Which is why i made my point to begin with.

Yep, gaf was pro MS last gen due to the 360 and you wouldn’t be hearing any of the sony fans saying msgaf. Now that the tables have turned all the xbox fans are salty so they call it sonygaf.
I am not calling it SonyGAF for that reason though. I am just saying that the results will be translated to this site being pro-Sony.

I am not calling it SonyGAF for that reason though. I am just saying that the results will be translated to this site being pro-Sony.

Yeah I don't know man, since I've been on GAF it has always mostly been SonyGAF. Maybe it's because Sony fans are more, hum, "vocal".

Vawn

Banned
Yeah I don't know man, since I've been on GAF it has always mostly been SonyGAF. Maybe it's because Sony fans are more, hum, "vocal".

Or there are twice as many in general. Or that PS4 had like 5 or 6 GOTY list contenders compared to maybe the normal annualized racing game on Xbox?

Last edited:

Evilms

Banned
God Of War is the GOTY 2018 and by far, the number of awards he has won speaks for itself. GoW could have been the most successful game in history even in front of the witcher 3 if RDR2 hadn't been released this year, it's really amazing.

For the moment on gotypicks :

God of War - 164

Red Dead Redemption 2 - 117

Marvel's Spider-Man - 16

https://gotypicks.blogspot.com/

Last edited:
Or there are twice as many in general. Or that PS4 had like 5 or 6 GOTY list contenders compared to maybe the normal annualized racing game on Xbox?

LOL you keep fighting that good fight my man. I'm not sure there's much getting around the fact that a David Cage simulator being in a top 5 list of any kind either means the industry is hopelessly broken or people really care about muh exclusives.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
LOL you keep fighting that good fight my man. I'm not sure there's much getting around the fact that a David Cage simulator being in a top 5 list of any kind either means the industry is hopelessly broken or people really care about muh exclusives.

Or the game was enjoyable? Is that really that hard for you think believe that people enjoy games you don't?

Redneckerz

Well, that too.. Bish provided a lot of the Sony star power back then imo.

Detroit was an interesting title from a philosophical perspective, and story wise it was actually quite descent.

Or the game was enjoyable? Is that really that hard for you think believe that people enjoy games you don't?

Likewise, is it that hard for you to believe that people might overestimate games because they're exclusives and amateur astroturfing is a thing for whatever reason?

Detroit was an interesting title from a philosophical perspective, and story wise it was actually quite descent.

I have absolutely no problem with people enjoying Detroit. I was answering to a snarky comment about Sony having "5-6 GOTY contenders" per year which I guess it's easier to do when stuff like Detroit is one of those.

Vawn

Banned

Sounds like you're the one "fighting the good fight". I'm just stating facts.

Detroit Become Human is a great game, by the way. Just because you're not shooting a gun or driving a car doesn't make it less of a game.

Redneckerz

I have absolutely no problem with people enjoying Detroit. I was answering to a snarky comment about Sony having "5-6 GOTY contenders" per year which I guess it's easier to do when stuff like Detroit is one of those.
Yeah but its more that you speak with the tone of one implying that a David Cage simulator is a bad thing. I don't think it is. In fact, because its a different take on the medium of games, ill happily would trade a more traditional Sony exclusive in in favor of Detroit.

Sounds like you're the one "fighting the good fight". I'm just stating facts.

Detroit Become Human is a great game, by the way. Just because you're not shooting a gun or driving a car doesn't make it less of a game.

You're not stating facts, you're stating opinions just as I am.

Yeah but its more that you speak with the tone of one implying that a David Cage simulator is a bad thing. I don't think it is. In fact, because its a different take on the medium of games, ill happily would trade a more traditional Sony exclusive in in favor of Detroit.

I definitely think a David Cage simulator is a bad thing, he's a hack writer and his games are 100% devoid of any interesting gameplay mechanics. I fail to see the point with his games.

Dude, your console warring is just getting old. Get over it.

I'm confused, who am I warring for?

ethomaz

Banned
Detroit is GOTY content imo.

You can’t not like it and that is fine but it is really that great.

Last edited:

YayNJ

Banned
Sony Gaf is alive and well.

God Of War and likewise Spiderman.. Yeah, let's revisit this in a few years.

Redneckerz

I definitely think a David Cage simulator is a bad thing, he's a hack writer and his games are 100% devoid of any interesting gameplay mechanics.
I humbly disagree. By that stance, i reckon The Walking Dead and Firewatch are not your cup of tea either?

I fail to see the point with his games.
Its a take on the interactive movie, much like how the Black Mirror Bandersnatch episode is a take on it but the other way around. Its heavily narrative driven, reminscent of adventure games of old. Its something you dig or you don't.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Great job man, thanks for doing this. Hardly any surprises, except one.

How the fuck did A Way Out do so well? I get that it's a neat "game to play with my partner who doesn't play games" but it was hilariously poor on almost every level. Like Heat written by a 12 year old.

Top Bottom