• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naoki Yoshida addresses Final Fantasy 16's lack of diversity

Status
Not open for further replies.
A movie, TV show or game with exclusively minority characters is seen as the second coming of Christ, but something with too many white people is automatically evil, racist and wrong. It makes no sense to me. Apparently even Snow White is latina now...

I read it and wish I didn't. Latina Snow white, black Ariel, indian velma, etc. Always gets people who going who never planned on seeing these films anyway. Discussion on diversity doesn't mean we are in a worse place. Its always been bad but if you arent affected by it you just had a better ability to ignore it.

Making an awful lot of assumptions there.

Swapping the race of a character in an existing story and calling it 'diversity' is an absolute joke. Pointing that out does not mean you're automatically against the idea of representation.

It saddens me to see how many people are apparently willing to die on the hill of a billion dollar corporation's marketing stratagy. It's nothing more than advertisement through controversy.

Representation means that different kinds of people see themselves represented, and that requires some form of authenticity. Taking something that already exists and presenting it again in a different shade is not it. It's just a company playing it safe whilst pretending it's doing something groundbreaking.

Besides, representation means there is a seat at the table for everyone, so anyone going off because there's too many people with X skin color in it is already missing the point by about a mile and a half.

And I vehemently disagree that it's always been bad, that just sounds like utter nonsense to me. Our society has changed drastically over the last 80 years. We have seen literally decades of iconic diversity, representation and socio-economic progress all across the board. Most young people's childhood memories are filled with a vast, diverse landscape of people of every color and creed, and probably their parents as well.

A group of ideologues deciding oh well, that's not good enough, then pretending as if no progress was ever made, and then stoking the flames of racial tensions every chance they get is not having a conversation.

I would describe it more as experiencing an unwanted disruption of what seemed to be a pretty natural expansion of equality and diversity.

Clearly it's not working out so well.

killatopak

The "it's a fantasy world, you can do whatever" is a dumb excuse, that I don't agree with, and as you can see from reading this thread, neither do most posters here. Also, this isn't about representation. I'm not white, and I very much dislike how western media handles diversity/representation and would rather I not be represented at all than be represented by the bullshit they are peddling.
I'm just saying fantasy at the very least should hold itself to the rules that it is establishing, having all the middle eastern-like people, be European-like in appearance, names, etc. is just as dumb as Netflix having a show about vikings where the last king of the vikings is a black woman.
This isn’t middle east. This isn’t europe. This isn’t earth. This is fantasy

The vikings is about people who originated in Scandinavia. It is europe. It is earth. Vikings isn’t fantasy.

What rule are you talking about? Where is this supposed rule from? Fantasy? There is only one rule in fantasy. There are no rules.

Fuz

Banned
Representation means that different kinds of people see themselves represented, and that requires some form of authenticity. Taking something that already exists and presenting it again in a different shade is not it. It's just a company playing it safe whilst pretending it's doing something groundbreaking.
Stick Around Bob Ross GIF by Originals

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
People should be insulted that companies do this.

But instead, they've been so marketed to; to be shallow, they celebrate hollow virtue.

Elysion

Banned
The real issue here is that this is yet another FF game where we only get to see a fraction of the world. One of the best parts of the earlier games was the ability to travel across the whole world, be it with airships, chocobos, or other vehicles. But starting with FF12, their worlds became more restricted, and we only got to see a small part of the planet.

I just wanna fly around with an airship and discover secret locations again; is that too much to ask?

Raonak

Banned
Would be cool to have more diversity, or to visit these lands where there are other types of people.

But whatever, i'm gonna enjoy the game anyway. As long as they don't do that annoying trope of making the "evil species" all be brown people lol.

Last edited:

Honey Bunny

Sad that he felt he had to. I'm sure the woke racists are a tiny part of the game's audience, but I suppose they are a disproportionate part of the western press.

Last edited:
Not on earth, so it doesn’t matter.
It’s not jarring and unrealistic to have people that turn into giant powerful monsters and use magic, but it’s jarring and unrealistic to have people with different skin colors and tones? Are you reading what you’re writing? 😂
Like I said: lame excuse. They can do whatever they want and I’m buying the game, since I don’t ex..pect this from them anyway and the lack of diversity is not a thing that will make me not play a game. There’s nothing else to discuss.
Uh huh ...right ..

ZiZ

This isn’t middle east. This isn’t europe. This isn’t earth. This is fantasy

The vikings is about people who originated in Scandinavia. It is europe. It is earth. Vikings isn’t fantasy.

Fine, a more apt example would have been to say Amazon making the queen of the dwarves a black woman in LotR and all the other nonsensical pallet swaps they pulled on that show.

What rule are you talking about? Where is this supposed rule from? Fantasy? There is only one rule in fantasy. There are no rules.
The one Yoshi-P said himself. He said it's inspired by mideval Europe so the characters should look European because it's based on reality. So if there is an area inspired by the Middle east, by that very same logic the people there should be somewhat based on Middle Eastern people.

killatopak

Fine, a more apt example would have been to say Amazon making the queen of the dwarves a black woman in LotR and all the other nonsensical pallet swaps they pulled on that show.

The one Yoshi-P said himself. He said it's inspired by mideval Europe so the characters should look European because it's based on reality. So if there is an area inspired by the Middle east, by that very same logic the people there should be somewhat based on Middle Eastern people.
Like I said earlier, inspired is different from copying every single facet of a culture or demographic.

One piece was inspired by Dragonball but you never see saiyans, namekians or whatever. You can however infer the Gear ability its protagonist has is similar to the ability to turn Super Saiyan in function but not in terms of lore. A middle eastern architecture does not pigeonhole a storyteller to only using those of middle eastern descent in said area.

Based on reality but is still fantasy and he laid out his reasons why he used a non-diverse population. The moment magic and magical creatures are shown, you should already know whatever preconceived notions of reality you see will be bended in this game.

I can make my own story, use medieval European architecture and put a completely East Asian cast and still call my story inspired by medieval Europe simply because I used medieval European architecture. Why use European instead of Asian? Simply because I like the look of buildings of that look. Extending it further, I can even use Sultanate rules of royalty, military and government and still I can effectively say that I am inspired by these based on reality and I can confidently say it as long as I do each of them justice.

The only reason a black dwarf in RoP was ever been seen as a problem is because there was no such thing in all the literature before it. You can do whatever you want in fantasy but once the lore is established, following it should be a priority to make it consistently believable.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Because the 'indentity quotas' that these people usually promote are representative of US's demographic, not the west.

Where were these "indentity quotas" in the question IGN asked? It was a spectacularly fair question given the audience SE wants and expects to sale this game to.

Guilty_AI

Where were these "indentity quotas" in the question IGN asked?
It was the question.

It was a spectacularly fair question given the audience SE wants and expects to sale this game to.
What audience? REEEEEtards? I wouldn't be surprised if they start boycoting this game like they did Cyberpunk just because of this question. Can't really call an audience that has no intention of buying the game an audience right?

ZiZ

Like I said earlier, inspired is different from copying every single facet of a culture or demographic.

One piece was inspired by Dragonball but you never see saiyans, namekians or whatever. You can however infer the Gear ability its protagonist has is similar to the ability to turn Super Saiyan in function but not in terms of lore. A middle eastern architecture does not pigeonhole a storyteller to only using those of middle eastern descent in said area.

Based on reality but is still fantasy and he laid out his reasons why he used a non-diverse population. The moment magic and magical creatures are shown, you should already know whatever preconceived notions of reality you see will be bended in this game.

I can make my own story, use medieval European architecture and put a completely East Asian cast and still call my story inspired by medieval Europe simply because I used medieval European architecture. Why use European instead of Asian? Simply because I like the look of buildings of that look. Extending it further, I can even use Sultanate rules of royalty, military and government and still I can effectively say that I am inspired by these based on reality and I can confidently say it as long as I do each of them justice.

The only reason a black dwarf in RoP was ever been seen as a problem is because there was no such thing in all the literature before it. You can do whatever you want in fantasy but once the lore is established, following it should be a priority to make it consistently believable.

My dude, I'm just saying that based on the context, and the arguments the director of the game made and the arguments many people in this thread and elsewhere have made AGAINST including POC in a European like setting, it makes much more sense to have middle eastern like people in a middle eastern-like setting than it does to have European like people. I'm not saying he MUST do it, just that it makes more sense by every metric. And yes you could make it a mideval European setting with Asian people or you could make it an ancient japanese-like setting with an all black cast, I'm not saying you can't, but fantasy and storytelling do have rules, things need to make sense within the context of the story and to the sensibilities of the reader. Technically there is nothing stopping G.R.R.Martin from having a character in Game of Thrones driving around in a 2006 Mazda Zoom, but it would be bad storytelling.

Batiman

Banned
I like when the cast gets a all made up of different races/ sex/ or creatures in Final fantasy. FF7 and ff9 had the best parties. Compare those to FF8 or FF15. I don’t care what they choose to do and I have no problem with it besides the cast looking boring and uninteresting. Haven’t really seen most of the characters in 16 yet but hopefully they’re more diverse than ff15 as that cast was boring as shit.

killatopak

My dude, I'm just saying that based on the context, and the arguments the director of the game made and the arguments many people in this thread and elsewhere have made AGAINST including POC in a European like setting, it makes much more sense to have middle eastern like people in a middle eastern-like setting than it does to have European like people. I'm not saying he MUST do it, just that it makes more sense by every metric. And yes you could make it a mideval European setting with Asian people or you could make it an ancient japanese-like setting with an all black cast, I'm not saying you can't, but fantasy and storytelling do have rules, things need to make sense within the context of the story and to the sensibilities of the reader. Technically there is nothing stopping G.R.R.Martin from having a character in Game of Thrones driving around in a 2006 Mazda Zoom, but it would be bad storytelling.
That only makes sense if you’re looking through the lens of Earth. Why is it so hard for you to think that this isn’t Earth, isn’t Europe or the Middle East? Monsters and magic doesn’t make sense either.

What establishes who lives in whatever part of the place FFXVI takes place into is entirely dependent on lore. You fail to recognize that the game takes place in a single landmass and in all likelihood have a homogenous race living in it. There are other landmasses on the planet with possibility of a far more diverse showing but that is not within the scope of the game.

There is something stopping that happening in GoT. It’s called the lore. If he made GoT set in modern times on Earth at the beginning, then it’s possible. Sure it would still be bad but at least it’s believable. Getting Jon Snow to drive a Mazda in current GoT lore will never be believable.

What is a Middle Eastern setting? A desert? Dorne has those yet they more closely resemble Mediterraneans. In fact, Dorne was filmed in a Spanish palace. The architecture? South East Asia has European forts and architecture due to the colonizations. South East Asia also has Middle Eastern architecture due to the spread of Islam. Ask yourself why FFXVI having Middle Eastern architecture isn’t as believable than those.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Another topic where those who have no short coming of representation will be saying "why does representation matter..." Yippie.

Tired Bed GIF

Right on que...
Is this the same as “ you don’t know the black community! “ . Because no one person knows every community and communities are not dependent on race. It’s a dump illogical argument that a lot of people eat up.

To put it simply there is no one BLACK. Community. And just being black doesn’t mean you know what every black person wants or needs.

Western gaming media think everyone should follow their rules, for fuck sake let the devs make what they want to make.

LOL yall only saying that now because these devs making what you wanna see. The minute they start making something you dont like they got some kinda agenda.

Brigandier

I hope FF17 is set in a very modern world looking environment and every single character is white male, just so I can see how offended these fucking idiots will be.

I couldn't give a fuck about the colour of fictional pixelated characters in a video game... What is wrong with people.

Rykan

The real issue here is that this is yet another FF game where we only get to see a fraction of the world. One of the best parts of the earlier games was the ability to travel across the whole world, be it with airships, chocobos, or other vehicles. But starting with FF12, their worlds became more restricted, and we only got to see a small part of the planet.

I just wanna fly around with an airship and discover secret locations again; is that too much to ask?
Those whole worlds are generally like 5 or 6 towns each. I thought it was always implied that every FF just takes place in one part of whatever world they take place in, regardless of world map.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
LOL yall only saying that now because these devs making what you wanna see. The minute they start making something you dont like they got some kinda agenda.
I think you saying this to the wrong person, check my post history I never say stuff like this. Even games like TLOU2 the reason I don’t liked the story has nothing to do with “agenda” or “woke”.

I get much more pissed off over these Western media insulting devs because they don’t follow their rule, like how George Kamitani called “pedo” for his design in Dragon Crown or some people expected Bayonetta be “gay” because that was their head canon.

Doom85

Those whole worlds are generally like 5 or 6 towns each. I thought it was always implied that every FF just takes place in one part of whatever world they take place in, regardless of world map.

Pretty sure in FFIX they refer to each major land mass as a continent. So I saw no reason not to believe it wasn’t meant to be the whole planet.

ZiZ

That only makes sense if you’re looking through the lens of Earth. Why is it so hard for you to think that this isn’t Earth, isn’t Europe or the Middle East? Monsters and magic doesn’t make sense either.

What establishes who lives in whatever part of the place FFXVI takes place into is entirely dependent on lore. You fail to recognize that the game takes place in a single landmass and in all likelihood have a homogenous race living in it. There are other landmasses on the planet with possibility of a far more diverse showing but that is not within the scope of the game.

There is something stopping that happening in GoT. It’s called the lore. If he made GoT set in modern times on Earth at the beginning, then it’s possible. Sure it would still be bad but at least it’s believable. Getting Jon Snow to drive a Mazda in current GoT lore will never be believable.

What is a Middle Eastern setting? A desert? Dorne has those yet they more closely resemble Mediterraneans. In fact, Dorne was filmed in a Spanish palace. The architecture? South East Asia has European forts and architecture due to the colonizations. South East Asia also has Middle Eastern architecture due to the spread of Islam.
Once again, all I'm saying is sense and logic need to have a place in the equation for good storytelling. I'm giving you reasons why this change makes much more sense given all of what we know. You have not given me one good reason why it shouldn't be like that, or why it being like that benefits the game more.

We are going in circles here, your argument is that they can do it. I'm not saying they can't, the question is why? As far as we know there is nothing in the story that prevents them from having a different culture/skintone, logically the people living there should have darker skin because they live in a desert. Yes the story does not take place on earth, but it is made by and sold to earthlings, Yoshi-P said that it is based in reality, so it is bound by human logic and sense,bthe more it resembles reality the more sense it makes to us, to enjoy fantasy we suspend disbelief for some aspects that are made clear to us and we accept them, like the existence of magic and Eikons, but that doesn't mean everything automatically makes sense. You mentioned different types of architecture in places other than their land of origin, but you also had to justify why they are there. That's all I want. If they're all from the same race, speak the same language and have the same background, then it does not make sense that the architecture is middle eastern based. It can still be in a desert environment but have European designs like the rest of the cities. It makes less sense to have their cities be diverse but not have their cultures be diverse too, saying it's one landmass does not go against that. Asia is one landmass and has many cultures and races. Yes they can throw logic out the window and do what they want, they can make everyone purple skinned with two heads, but unless they can show me how that benefits the story, then I will continue to belive that it would have been better if they hadn't made it like that.

killatopak

You have not given me one good reason why it shouldn't be like that, or why it being like that benefits the game more.
So I don‘t have to deal with race issues in a fucking game. I’m sure Yoshida is thinking the same and just want to tell a cool story with cool looking building and shit.

ZiZ

So I don‘t have to deal with race issues in a fucking game. I’m sure Yoshida is thinking the same and just want to tell a cool story with cool looking building and shit.
But that's exactly what he's doing. He chose to put people, who by his own admission are, based on Europeans in a city clearly based on the middle east. If he didn't want to deal with race issues why not make the people in the middle eastern like area, middle eastern like.
Because its their game and they can what they want? I dont know why some people dont get this simple logic.
My dude, don't just read two words from a multi post thread then jump into the conversation ass first. Go back and read the whole thing.

Last edited:

killatopak

But that's exactly what he's doing. He chose to put people, who by his own admission are, based on Europeans in what is clearly based on middle eastern. If he didn't want to deal with race issues why not make the people in the middle eastern like area, middle eastern like.
In the game.

In the real world, you will get asked race questions by the west either you like it or not.

Imagine a swarm of Japanese people asking why there aren’t any Japanese people in a Japanese game made in Japan in a Japanese company by a Japanese Person. That’s right, it sounds ridiculous because that’s exactly how the media sounds like right now.

Oh my god, there’s not even a Japanese architecture in it? Are you even Japanese Yoshida?

Rykan

But it is, at end of the day it their game, can do whatever they want. I personally dont like the fact Kojima put celebrities as characters in Death Stranding but he has every god damn right to do it "just because" that his game.
I don't think anybody is debating that developers can't do whatever they want, but obviously "we" are free to ask what the thought process was behind that and voice displeasure about it if it's something we disagree with.

I share your feelings regarding celebrity characters in games and I'm glad to find someone likeminded,

Larxia

It saddens me to see how many people are apparently willing to die on the hill of a billion dollar corporation's marketing stratagy. It's nothing more than advertisement through controversy.
This so, so much. It's always driving me crazy and super confused, how people don't realize this is just poor marketing and nothing else, and make their whole ideology, way of life and thinking, around such distorted views.

Not long ago I learned about the "ESG Score" (Environmental, Social, and Governance), which clearly explains the whole situation, and why companies go for woke points, but people still refuse to believe it for some reason.

Investors look for companies with a high ESG score in priority, and if companies have a low score because of bad measurements in the environmental aspect and such, they can pick the easy way of just boosting their social score by doing all this woke stuff, and suddenly they have a high enough score to be in the clear.

This video is of course comedy, but it's honestly not that far from the truth sadly.

Doom85

Once again, all I'm saying is sense and logic need to have a place in the equation for good storytelling. I'm giving you reasons why this change makes much more sense given all of what we know. You have not given me one good reason why it shouldn't be like that, or why it being like that benefits the game more.

We are going in circles here, your argument is that they can do it. I'm not saying they can't, the question is why? As far as we know there is nothing in the story that prevents them from having a different culture/skintone, logically the people living there should have darker skin because they live in a desert. Yes the story does not take place on earth, but it is made by and sold to earthlings, Yoshi-P said that it is based in reality, so it is bound by human logic and sense,bthe more it resembles reality the more sense it makes to us, to enjoy fantasy we suspend disbelief for some aspects that are made clear to us and we accept them, like the existence of magic and Eikons, but that doesn't mean everything automatically makes sense. You mentioned different types of architecture in places other than their land of origin, but you also had to justify why they are there. That's all I want. If they're all from the same race, speak the same language and have the same background, then it does not make sense that the architecture is middle eastern based. It can still be in a desert environment but have European designs like the rest of the cities. It makes less sense to have their cities be diverse but not have their cultures be diverse too, saying it's one landmass does not go against that. Asia is one landmass and has many cultures and races. Yes they can throw logic out the window and do what they want, they can make everyone purple skinned with two heads, but unless they can show me how that benefits the story, then I will continue to belive that it would have been better if they hadn't made it like that.

If You Say So Wow GIF by Barstool Sports

A normal person playing Dark Souls 3: Oh, I picked up a Katana?! Cool, let’s try it out!
ZiZ: Wait, how does this make sense?! A completely fantasy world that has weapons inspired by European and Asian cultures! Just mashed together?! Why, this is most unorthodox!

You know, Star Wars fans didn‘t collapse in confusion due to Padme/Amidala’s outfits taking inspiration from a bunch of different cultures. When the STAR WARS fandom of all things is being more chill in comparison to some of the fantasy fandom, I’m rapidly losing respect for the latter.

Geezus Christ, I’m glad my friends don’t get hung up on this dumb shit. If I was running a D&D campaign and the starting town was mostly humans but there was like a dwarf running an inn and a tiefling working at the general store, and one of my players started asking about where the hell they came from and how long they’ve lived there and if they were born there where are the other family members and how far is the nearest dwarf or tiefling civilization that they would be in this small town, and my patience would slowly decrease until I consider breaking my “no grudge monsters” rule.

Like, fuck, I guarantee you 99.9% of people would actually not be confused by the shit you’re claiming they would be. Because they do not give a shit about these irrelevant details. Naruto was one of the best selling manga of the 2000’s, a series where despite everyone being ninjas, they also apparently have access to computer monitors to some degree. Also, one village has black people in it despite historically in our world ninjas never or rarely being black to my knowledge. Somehow the Naruto fandom was able to comprehend these details without getting a headache or complaining about it because they were sensible enough to understand that THIS IS NOT OUR REALITY IN ANY SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT and thus all was cool. Your claims that people would be baffled by this small shit are flimsy at best when applied to the vast majority of people.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I don't think anybody is debating that developers can't do whatever they want, but obviously "we" are free to ask what the thought process was behind that and voice displeasure about it if it's something we disagree with.
You mean like this......
Hi71FuH.png

We already had this thread and it got locked
Either way I'll say the same thing I said back then. It's a Japanese game made in japan, I find it funny how these woke Americans who are supposedly so open minded can't comprehend that the USA isn't the entire world and not everything has to account for social issues and racial tension in america. Imagine a Japanese publication went to pester all american devs about the lack of Japanese minorities in their games: "why aren't there ainu people in God of War Ragnarok?"
Very true....

This one of the question in polygon's interview on Astral Chain.
vefpJ4Z.png

Last edited:
If You Say So Wow GIF by Barstool Sports

A normal person playing Dark Souls 3: Oh, I picked up a Katana?! Cool, let’s try it out!
ZiZ: Wait, how does this make sense?! A completely fantasy world that has weapons inspired by European and Asian cultures! Just mashed together?! Why, this is most unorthodox!

You know, Star Wars fans didn‘t collapse in confusion due to Padme/Amidala’s outfits taking inspiration from a bunch of different cultures. When the STAR WARS fandom of all things is being more chill in comparison to some of the fantasy fandom, I’m rapidly losing respect for the latter.

Geezus Christ, I’m glad my friends don’t get hung up on this dumb shit. If I was running a D&D campaign and the starting town was mostly humans but there was like a dwarf running an inn and a tiefling working at the general store, and one of my players started asking about where the hell they came from and how long they’ve lived there and if they were born there where are the other family members and how far is the nearest dwarf or tiefling civilization that they would be in this small town, and my patience would slowly decrease until I consider breaking my “no grudge monsters” rule.

Like, fuck, I guarantee you 99.9% of people would actually not be confused by the shit you’re claiming they would be. Because they do not give a shit about these irrelevant details. Naruto was one of the best selling manga of the 2000’s, a series where despite everyone being ninjas, they also apparently have access to computer monitors to some degree. Also, one village has black people in it despite historically in our world ninjas never or rarely being black to my knowledge. Somehow the Naruto fandom was able to comprehend these details without getting a headache or complaining about it because they were sensible enough to understand that THIS IS NOT OUR REALITY IN ANY SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT and thus all was cool. Your claims that people would be baffled by this small shit are flimsy at best when applied to the vast majority of people.

The best thing about Naruto manga/anime is that even the diverse characters are badass

Killer B is one of my favorites

And his Village are full of awesome Ninjas

ZiZ

The world of dark souls is varied and diverse, a katana does not seem out of place.

Have you seen the Phantom Menace? Padme's wardrobe is the least of it's problems and the star wars fandom had a lot to say about that movie.

This is more like going into what is clearly an Elven village but finding only Dwarves. Even the most brain dead players would stop and wonder why.

Like, fuck, I guarantee you 99.9% of people would actually not be confused by the shit you’re claiming they would be. Because they do not give a shit about these irrelevant details. Naruto was one of the best selling manga of the 2000’s, a series where despite everyone being ninjas, they also apparently have access to computer monitors to some degree. Also, one village has black people in it despite historically in our world ninjas never or rarely being black to my knowledge. Somehow the Naruto fandom was able to comprehend these details without getting a headache or complaining about it because they were sensible enough to understand that THIS IS NOT OUR REALITY IN ANY SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT and thus all was cool.
Like I said before, there is a certain level of suspension of disbelief, in naruto it's pretty high, they pull all kinds of bullshit every 5 minutes. Naruto could be playing pokemon Go and nobody would bat an eye. But if someone pulled out an iPhone in game of thrones people would lose their minds.

according to the game director in the same interview we are debating now "The story we are telling is fantasy, yes, but it is also rooted in reality."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom