• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 16 producer Naoki Yoshida has reportedly said it would be better for developers and players alike if there was just a single game platfo

Draugoth

Gold Member
Final-Fantasy-16-12-1280x720.jpg

According to an IGN translation of an interview with a Taiwanese YouTube channel, Yoshida said it would be better for developers and players alike if there weren’t competing console platforms.

“Game platforms… I probably shouldn’t say this, but I wish there was only one,” he reportedly said. “It would be better for both the developers and the players.”

Sony and Microsoft have both secured a number of third-party titles as console exclusives over the years. One of the most notable examples of this is the PlayStation maker’s ties with Square Enix, which in recent years have seen Final Fantasy 7 Remake and Final Fantasy 16 excluded from Xbox.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Sometimes I think he's a little too transparent to the point he sucks at PR.
  • July 28th - We are so happy to announce that we're putting as many games as possible on Xbox. Let's publicly shake hands and announce this to all the Xbox gamers to reassure them and show that we're enthusiastic about it and reliable.
  • August 14th - Honestly though, making games for more than one console kinda sucks. Wish the other consoles didn't even exist if I'm being honest.
Okayyyy lol.

Cyberpunkd

competition is a good thing, if we only had one we gamers would be doomed.
Not really. You would still compete as a 3rd party to make sure you release the best games and make people spend money on your product, not the competitor’s.

Right now platform holders do not offer any meaningful hardware advantage.

Xbox “power of the cloud” = lies
PlayStation “SSD magic” = lies

So what happened is you are left with them moneyhatting different games. You as a customer have no say.

Last edited:

Fredrik

How about no?

Without competition the hardware advancements would halt because why change hardware and make it difficult for devs to learn new hardware and force players to buy new boxes and start over with a new userbase? Would be better to still make games for NES.

competition is good. wonder what be a good name for a mixed micro sony platform - xstation Quatro ? playbox 360 ? PlayXS1 ? Microsony - but yeah it would be awesome to actually get one console like that for a generation. would be interesting.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Not really. You would still compete as a 3rd party to make sure you release the best games and make people spend money on your product, not the competitor’s.

PlayStation “SAD magic” = lies

So what happened is you are left with them moneyhatting different games. You as a customer have no say.
Oh my summer child. If you had no competition, you'd have very little hardware innovation or any push to do anything more than iterate on things. We've seen through all of corporate history, even in the gaming area, companies with no compitition sit back and rest.

Third parties would do their best to optimize to the tech at hand, but tech progress would be set back extremely far.

Puscifer

I strongly disagree. Then we’d have a landscape ruled ONLY by one of the shitty big 3.
You aren't wrong. Even on PC we see where this laziness has gotten us, Vulkan on Linux and it's shader handling has eliminated the stutter struggle of DX12 but you can't say that without starting a fight.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

PlayStation “SAD magic” = lies

This post is a lie...

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I would agree with it as long as they get rid of cell phone gaming.

nikos

It's time to start developing for PC and porting to consoles again. PC version should be definitive considering hardware is far superior. Things are ass backwards now.

cireza

It would help having better competition between third parties, this would be good for the quality of the games.

However it would be bad for the pricing.

I see his point, but with the greed and anti-consumerism of the games industry, one platform would probably be a nightmare and even monopolistic with no genuine competition imo. $100 broken games? Where you gonna go if you wanna play? Mobile? Retro?

Also I know exclusives are rare, but I feel that all games on one platform would cut into sales of each other because there would be too many games all competing for the same dollar and audience. Imagine Mario, Zelda, TLOU3, Spider-Man, Gears of War 6, Uncharted 5, Starfield 2, FF17, Baldurs Gate 4, Resident Evil 9, Forza 8 all coming out in the same month in one platform? Some game sales would inevitably eat into other game sales imo. Did I mention no hardware innovation?

Last edited:

Knightime_X

• July 28th - We are so happy to announce that we're putting as many games as possible on Xbox. Let's publicly shake hands and announce this to all the Xbox gamers to reassure them and show that we're enthusiastic about it and reliable.
  • August 14th - Honestly though, making games for more than one console kinda sucks. Wish the other consoles didn't even exist if I'm being honest.
Okayyyy lol.
Name one person who wishes to work even harder for their paycheck?
Porting isn't free.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Name one person who wishes to work even harder for their paycheck?
Porting isn't free.
If you're a public figure and can't factor anything more into your statements beyond telegraphing your own laziness, then you're probably not fit for PR. They literally just made a public statement with two CEOs 2 weeks ago about this exact topic.

Knightime_X

If you're a public figure and can't factor anything more into your statements beyond telegraphing your own laziness, then you're probably not fit for PR. They literally just made a public statement with two CEOs 2 weeks ago about this exact topic.
He's still not wrong though.
1 platform would be significantly easier, for everyone.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

PlayStation “SSD magic” = lies

This is a pure lie and a half. You act as if Nintendo doesn't exist. Plus their philosophies matter. MS views the gaming sector differently than Sony does. And Nintendo is different too. This is GOOD!

Either we’d have 10 different operating systems or an operating system controlled by 1 company.

best case would be for Linux to overtake Windows and each publisher distributed games through their own stores. Can’t just put it on Steam cause then Valve has control.

And on PC you need to develop for all sorts of hardware configurations. If developers struggle with consoles then what chance do you have?

PC would be the best shot at it buts not gonna happen.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Okayyyy lol.

Seriously, Yoshi-P should just step away from the spotlight now before he talks himself into a corner. If he already haven't done it. So many strange things he says these days.

nikeboy94

We'd have zero first-party innovation if there was only one platform. So, hard "no" from me.

Atleast it's a lot easier to develop for multi-platform than it used to be. Plus the increasing number of games supporting cross-platform online play softens the blow of friends having different consoles.

Bridges

With one platform, we would not have Game Pass, we would not have hybrid consoles, we would not have the dual sense. We would maybe have one of them, but definitely not all of them. Now, we have the choice.

Maybe for developers, sure. One platform to focus on. For players? No. No way.

It's time to start developing for PC and porting to consoles again. PC version should be definitive considering hardware is far superior. Things are ass backwards now.
That's a pretty uninformed take.

So what exact PC configuration should be the blueprint then?

Having consoles in X86 architecture pretty much assures porting to PC later on should be quite streamlined. And you have to hit a very baseline spec target, otherwise it happens what Larian is facing with the Xbox Series Potato when trying to run Baldur's Gate in split screen.

Basically it's easier to start low and go high than aim at the moon and then have to run on shit hardware.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Ah, they should make their games on PC and take advantage of PC hardware... Or is he referring to another specific platform?

Mr Moose

Didn't Todd Howard or someone else from Bethesda say something similar now that they don't need to do a PS5 version of Starfield?
Edit:

Last edited:
Top Bottom