• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naoki Yoshida addresses Final Fantasy 16's lack of diversity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
"We simply want the focus to be less on the outward appearance of our characters and more on who they are as people."

Speaking to IGN, Yoshida was asked to comment on responses to the latest trailer that features mostly white characters.

Yoshida admitted it was a difficult question to answer, but that the lack of diversity fits the "isolated nature of this realm" - Valisthea, where the game takes place.

"This is a difficult question, but not one that was unexpected, seeing as diversity in entertainment media has become a much-discussed topic as of late. The answer I have, however, may end up being disappointing to some depending on individual expectations," he said.

The game's design has heavily featured medieval Europe and Yoshida felt "rather than create something on a global scale, it was necessary to limit the scope to a single landmass - one geographically and culturally isolated from the rest of the world in an age without airplanes, television, or telephones".

mQbS5by.jpg

The face of the character 😆

😶😶😶😶😶😶

Last edited:

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
This would have been my PR strategy:

Journo: what about Inclusion, diversity and representation in FFXVI?

Yoshida: What do you mean with I, D, and R?

Journo: blah blah blah blah blah.

Yoshida: oh that is very interesting, how do you define yourself then?

Journo: blah blah blah blah blah.

Yoshida: that is very insightful. Well, I think that is fair to say that whatever you defined yourself as, at the end of the day we are human beings. We are representing the human condition. And human condition is universal.

If you can't empathize with that, I think it says more about you that anything else

Mic drop queue the sigma male music meme.

YukiOnna

That was a gotcha question by IGN, they knew what they were doing.
And then people who only read headlines and live on extremes went at it. Everyone ignored the main body of his statement which only proved his point.

Conversely, the Final Fantasy series of games have always inherently dealt with conflict and struggle, especially between the empowered and those used and/or exploited by those privileged few — a prominent trend in human history. In a game that, by design, allows players to experience that conflict and struggle first- hand through dynamic, realistic battles, it can be challenging to assign distinctive ethnicities to either antagonist or protagonist without triggering audience preconceptions, inviting unwarranted speculation, and ultimately stoking flames of controversy. The best part of pulling inspiration directly from history, however, is that it allows us to revisit and re-examine our own pasts, while also allowing us to create something new.

In the end, we simply want the focus to be less on the outward appearance of our characters and more on who they are as people — people who are complex and diverse in their natures, backgrounds, beliefs, personalities, and motivations. People whose stories we can resonate with. There is diversity in Valisthea. Diversity that, while not all-encompassing, is synergistic with the setting we’ve created and is true to the inspirations from which we are drawing.

mortal

Gold Member
Man I wish these sorts of people would fuck off already.

If you want more so called "diversity" then buckle down and make it yourself or collaborate with those that do, instead of demanding other creators conform their vision to your sensibilities and ideology.
If they cant manage that then they should invest and promote the actual creators that already do that in their own original work, but those choices take time, money, and effort. So it's easier fo them to just complain and make demands.

We have absolutely regressed as a society when it comes to the topic of race, especially when compared to a decade ago.

Instead of normalizing racial differences, we've become obsessed about it. Race is no longer one aspect of a person, but the only aspect of a person that matters.

Instead of sharing and accepting each other's cultures, we are segregating ourselves.

Instead of a more diverse marketplace with more options for everyone, attempts are made to destroy anything that doesn't fit a certain quota or level of political correctness.

And as people have surely noticed, we are not treating each other as equals at all. A movie, TV show or game with exclusively minority characters is seen as the second coming of Christ, but something with too many white people is automatically evil, racist and wrong. It makes no sense to me. Apparently even Snow White is latina now...

It's a sad state of affairs if you ask me. Is being kind to each other based on our shared humanity really too much to ask for? Is everyone really better off this way?

Last edited:
Another topic where those who have no short coming of representation will be saying "why does representation matter..." Yippie.

Tired Bed GIF

We have absolutely regressed as a society when it comes to the topic of race, especially when compared to a decade ago.

Instead of normalizing racial differences, we've become obsessed about it. Race is no longer one aspect of a person, but the only aspect of a person that matters.

Instead of sharing and accepting each other's cultures, we are segregating ourselves.

Instead of a more diverse marketplace with more options for everyone, attempts are made to destroy anything that doesn't fit a certain quota or level of political correctness.

And as people have surely noticed, we are not treating each other as equals at all. A movie, TV show or game with exclusively minority characters is seen as the second coming of Christ, but something with too many white people is automatically evil, racist and wrong. It makes no sense to me. Apparently even Snow White is latina now...

It's a sad state of affairs if you ask me. Is being kind to each other based on our shared humanity really too much to ask for? Is everyone really better off this way?

Right on que...

Last edited:
Except he didnt

He explained, but there's no problem with it.

In fact it's quite good, because he gave them such an eloquent answer that it should be copy and pasted to all developers moving foward
It doesn't matter if your answer is logically sound, undeniably true or whatever. You are not talking to normal, sane human beings here. You don't explain yourself to lunatics. Waste of time.

Swift_Star

Banned
It’s a very lame excuse for not having diversity but honestly I don’t expect Japanese games to have diversity anyway, so… 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’d like to add some info tidbits here:
FF7 has a nice set of diverse characters and I like it a lot but you know what is funny? ERA hates Barret characterization because he’s angry all the time (and he has reasons for it)… so sometimes it’s damned if you do damned if you don’t. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I still don’t expect diversity from Japanese games anyway.

Last edited:

Hugare

It doesn't matter if your answer is logically sound, undeniably true or whatever. You are not talking to normal, sane human beings here. You don't explain yourself to lunatics. Waste of time.
Ignoring them and letting them live inside their own bubble doesnt help either

Inaction is what causes the vocal minority to be this much relevant. Because people arent being as vocal as those minorities.

I sure as hell wont ever shut up about how ridiculous opinions like those are.

So I'm glad that a big developer as Yoshida isnt shutting up about it either

Last edited:

hyperbertha

It’s a very lame excuse for not having diversity but honestly I don’t expect Japanese games to have diversity anyway, so… 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’d like to add some info tidbits here:
FF7 has a nice set of diverse characters and I like it a lot but you know what is funny? ERA hates Barret characterization because he’s angry all the time (and he has reasons for it)… so sometimes it’s damned if you do damned if you don’t. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I still don’t expect diversity from Japanese games anyway.
How the fuck is a european setting a lame excuse for not having diversity? Diversity is not an obligation. It should always be a creative decision that suits the game.

Swift_Star

Banned
How the fuck is a european setting a lame excuse for not having diversity? Diversity is not an obligation. It should always be a creative decision that suits the game.
The game is not set on Earth, hence, it’s not an “European setting”.

Last edited:

By trying to avoid white supremacy, we have fallen into the very ideology behind it, that race matters above all else. Fucking idiots, anyone who thinks this is progressive.

Swift_Star

Banned
It was set in a medieval non globalized landmass. Its jarring and unrealistic to have multiple races in such a setting. Very immersion breaking.
Not on earth, so it doesn’t matter.
It’s not jarring and unrealistic to have people that turn into giant powerful monsters and use magic, but it’s jarring and unrealistic to have people with different skin colors and tones? Are you reading what you’re writing? 😂
Like I said: lame excuse. They can do whatever they want and I’m buying the game, since I don’t expect this from them anyway and the lack of diversity is not a thing that will make me not play a game. There’s nothing else to discuss.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom