• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mystery Science Theater 3000: On April 14th, We've Got Movie Sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
You know what they need to do to really sell people who are on the fence? Just go ahead and do a quick little 5-10 minute short to give people an idea of what the reboot's gonna be like.

I remember the complaints about Bill. We'll get through this I'm sure :) Hopefully new Tom will settle into the role a bit. I can't imagine he wouldn't.

I'm in for 25 so far. I didn't get into MST3K until a few years ago when they started showing up on digital platforms, so I don't really have any nostalgia based on a certain era. I'm also used to the robots sounding different from episode to episode. So all in all, I'm excited for it to be back! Worst case scenario, I keep enjoying rifftrax, and if it takes off I get a second dun riff series to follow!

I own a ton of the DVDs but very rarely find the time to watch them anymore, and I'm not so certain I'll be able to find the time to sit and watch these new episodes when they come out, but I'm in for at least $100. These people have already given me enough over my life.

I'm fine with a new cast.

I have my old Mike and Joel already and while I would love more, I think it's best to just leave it as good memories. I look forward to what is coming. Just fix Servo's voice...

Not

Banned
5.5 million fucking dollars?!

I'm sure they did it for way less back in 1991. Probably to the benefit of the show

Sanjuro

I'm sure they did it for way less back in 1991. Probably to the benefit of the show

The Veronica Mars and Reading Rainbow were both over $5M.

This is for 12 feature length film releases. Pretty reasonable if you are going by the graph Joel posted.

fester

Banned
No Mike, Bill, or Kevin? No deal.

Needs Trace and Frank, too. It's a total let-down to be attempting MST3K without some/most/all of the original cast (minus Jim, he can go fuck himself.) They don't even need to be doing the same roles, just being a part of this would give me confidence that the show would have the same heart/soul as the original.

Rights to release a movie and sell it online as part of another show are not the same as the rights to broadcast one, and I'm sure that in the olden days they had access to certain film libraries the networks already owned or could get for cheap.

I mean maybe it'll all be public domain stuff, but something is telling me otherwise. But hey, support or don't. 5.5 million is only a stretch goal.

Nif

I really want to back, but $35 for one episode sounds like a lot. The new actors all seem to have the same voice as well. I think that would drive me crazy. Hopefully they get some of that straightened out before the end.

I really want to back, but $35 for one episode sounds like a lot. The new actors all seem to have the same voice as well. I think that would drive me crazy. Hopefully they get some of that straightened out before the end.
Pledge rewards are just rewards, but if you want to wait to see what episodes go for when they are finished I doubt you'll have to wait long to find out. This thing is getting kickstarted.

heyf00L

Joel's talking like it's MST3K season 11. He needs to say that it's MST3K The Next Generation. Also I'd do away with Crow and Tom and get new bots. Using new voices for the old bots is a mistake. Just go ahead and make it a whole new cast with the same premise (like TNG).

Also about not writing in the same room, RiffTrax is rarely if ever done in the same room and it's great. Obviously you'd prefer to be in the same room, but more important is having the best talent writing.

OnPoint

Wow. The Servo voice IS really that bad. I thought everyone was just salty for no reason.

The other two are fine though.

Actually, the middle guy should do Servo if I had to swap some around. He's a better Servo without trying.

border

Joel's talking like it's MST3K season 11. He needs to say that it's MST3K The Next Generation. Also I'd do away with Crow and Tom and get new bots. Using new voices for the old bots is a mistake. Just go ahead and make it a whole new cast with the same premise (like TNG).

Yeah, I said something similar and people were quick to correct me that the robots will not be redesigned (which I was indeed not correct about, mea culpa).

But the real problem is not the look of the robots, it's the voice acting. People will immediately hear the new Crow or Servo voice, decide it's not as good as the old one, and be turned off.

If they can't get the original voices, then they really oughtta just introduce some new bots. IMO this isn't Bugs Bunny or Kermit the Frog where they absolutely have to carry the old characters forward to a new generation. People liked those characters, but if your jokes are good you won't need them. If your jokes are bad, then it won't matter that they're coming from Crow & Tom.

I dunno, maybe Joel is just concerned that changing out the entire cast completely would be too frustrating for the audience, and at least wants to have the old robots available. But they should work to phase out Crow & Tom completely. Shit, they could even have Joel build some new robots and send them to the new host on the Satellite of Love. Crow & Tom can can hop on an escape pod, fall to earth, and become roommates with Joel to live out the rest of their days.

Yeah, I said something similar and people were quick to correct me that the robots will not be redesigned (which I was indeed not correct about, mea culpa).

But the real problem is not the look of the robots, it's the voice acting. People will immediately hear the new Crow or Servo voice, decide it's not as good as the old one, and be turned off.

If they can't get the original voices, then they really oughtta just introduce some new bots. IMO this isn't Bugs Bunny or Kermit the Frog where they absolutely have to carry the old characters forward to a new generation. People liked those characters, but if your jokes are good you won't need them. If your jokes are bad, then it won't matter that they're coming from Crow & Tom.

I dunno, maybe Joel is just concerned that changing out the entire cast completely would be too frustrating for the audience, and at least wants to have the old robots available. But they should work to phase out Crow & Tom completely. Shit, they could even have Joel build some new robots and send them to the new host on the Satellite of Love. Crow & Tom can can hop on an escape pod, fall to earth, and become roommates with Joel to live out the rest of their days.

I'm very glad we got Bill Corbett Crow instead of some random new robot. I see no reason to phase out the robots, when all the robots went through actor changes just fine already.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Josh sucked as Servo, Kevin was awesome!

Oddly enough, I've never cared who as voicing Crow (Trace or Bill). I think they both did excellent jobs, and really don't have a preference between them.

As seen at the end of Diabolik, Crow and Tom live with Mike. As far as I'm concerned, that's where their story ends. These new ones will be Crow and Tom V2.0.

I'm very glad we got Bill Corbett Crow instead of some random new robot. I see no reason to phase out the robots, when all the robots went through actor changes just fine already.

When Josh left, Trace was still there. When Trace left, Kevin was still there. There hasn't been a switch in voices for both characters at the same time. One new voice is jarring enough. Two is...ew.

As seen at the end of Diabolik, Crow and Tom live with Mike. As far as I'm concerned, that's where their story ends. These new ones will be Crow and Tom V2.0.

When Josh left, Trace was still there. When Trace left, Kevin was still there. There hasn't been a switch in voices for both characters at the same time. One new voice is jarring enough. Two is...ew.

It's been 16 years. It took 9 years from the KTMA days until there had been a complete turn over of the cast. New Crow seems good. Hopefully new Servo can work out the kinks.

I wish it had never gone off the air, but something tells me if it hadn't we'd be looking at a completely different cast right now, and there'd be a bunch of people proclaiming any change to that cast would be the end of the show or what have you.

The new series is happening, under the watchful eye of the guy who got the original band together in the first place. I trust Joel to assemble the right team and he's going to have a much wider field of talent to pick from this time around I don't doubt.

Here's what Joel said in 2014:

Even avid viewers sometimes don’t realize that every major role in the show had been swapped out over time. So in my mind, the show is built to be refreshed with new people and new ideas. It’s like Heisenberg’s uncertainty principle as it applies to ‘MST3K’: If it doesn’t change, it’s not the same show. And fortunately for us, as long as there are movies, there are always going to be cheesy movies.

I have zero reasons to think he's wrong and that this is a bad idea.

border

That was a time in the show's history when they weren't directly dependent on fan support. Comedy Central/SciFi were going to pay for full seasons even if ratings took a dip because they needed content for their networks and the show was pretty cheap to produce. If Joel needs everybody watching to cough up $20, I think it's a better creative decision to go in a direction that does not immediately invite comparisons with golden-age MST3K. People are already upset that Trace, Bill, and Mike aren't involved with the project and recasting the robots only compounds that gripe.

But hey, I don't know everything. Maybe new robots would be just as irritating and abrasive to old fans.

Joel isn't going to be the new host. Has it occurred to you that you might also prefer the new host over Joel? I personally prefer Mike too. It was Joel who handed the reigns over to him in the first place. If no-one had been open to a new host... we wouldn't have Mike.

This has occurred to me, but that's a risk I'm not willing to put money on. I'm sure it'll get made with or without me, and I'll be seeing it with or without paying. No investment, whether hit or flop.

border

Why couldn't Joel strike a deal with Netflix? It seems like a no-brainer. Netflix already has streaming rights for hundreds of terrible movies that nobody is going to watch. The cost of acquiring movies for the show is already taken care of, so all they'd have to do is pay pretty meager production costs for the puppet live-action segments and the bluescreen riffing.

I know MST3K has kind of a niche audience, but I don't see how it is any more niche than Mr. Show, Arrested Development, or Wet Hot American Summer -- three shows that were way more expensive to produce than MST3K, and they all got greenlighted.

That was a time in the show's history when they weren't directly dependent on fan support. Comedy Central/SciFi were going to pay for full seasons even if ratings took a dip because they needed content for their networks and the show was pretty cheap to produce.

That is not how I remember things. The show was absolutely dependent on fan support after Comedy Central cancelled it.

If Joel needs everybody watching to cough up $20, I think it's a better creative decision to go in a direction that does not immediately invite comparisons with golden-age MST3K. People are already upset that Trace, Bill, and Mike aren't involved with the project and recasting the robots only compounds that gripe.

But hey, I don't know everything. Maybe new robots would be just as irritating and abrasive to old fans.
I think you'd have the comparisons either way. We'll see how these new episodes turn out (which is a complete YAY feeling) compared to 'golden-age' MST3K (which is when exactly? season 8 in 97? season 5 in 93/94?

I'm optimistic obviously. I think Joel is going to be able to assemble the best writing team yet for the show, even if they won't all be in the same room. I won't miss Mike, Bill and Kevin too much every time I watch Rifftrax live. And so long as Other Space gets another season, I'll have Joel and Trace back on my TV.

And I remember the flame wars of old. The whole Joel / Mike thing was a taboo topic back in the day. Here we are now and not only does everyone seem to accept both, but many more people love Mike than used to. So some negativity is expected... and frankly this is nothing compared to the negativity you used to see back then whenever it came up.

So while I'm encouraging optimism, I understand the doubters... and you're all being perfectly reasonable, which is really all I think I can ask for.

DiscoJer

Josh sucked as Servo, Kevin was awesome!

Oddly enough, I've never cared who as voicing Crow (Trace or Bill). I think they both did excellent jobs, and really don't have a preference between them.

To me, Bill never sounded like Crow. He always sounded like Bill. Especially in the last season he completely seemed to be playing a person, not a robot.

He's funny at times, but he never felt like a character the way Trace did Crow. I never though of him as being the same guy as Dr. F.

Why couldn't Joel strike a deal with Netflix? It seems like a no-brainer. Netflix already has streaming rights for hundreds of terrible movies that nobody is going to watch. The cost of acquiring movies for the show is already taken care of, so all they'd have to do is pay pretty meager production costs for the puppet live-action segments and the bluescreen riffing.

I know MST3K has kind of a niche audience, but I don't see how it is any more niche than Mr. Show, Arrested Development, or Wet Hot American Summer -- three shows that were way more expensive to produce than MST3K, and they all got greenlighted.

I think we have every reason to believe that he already tried and failed. Part of the gambit here is demonstrating to a network or to a major streaming service that there is still a market for the show. We know he's been trying to get the new version off the ground for a while anyways.

But yeah, it's clearly cheaper for someone that already has movie rights to do this than it is for Joel to do this independently. I hope the master plan comes to fruition and we do end up getting another 100 episodes off the back of this.

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
I'm willing to give the new cast a chance. It's looking more and more like this will reach funding with no problem, so we'll be seeing either way. I'll probably throw in a few dollars too, just gotta figure out which tier I want.

gabbo

Definitely soured a little that seemingly only Joel will be back to sail the Goodship Satellite of Love, but if the old guys are out but in favour of what Joel's doing, then by all means go forward.

Still think Tom's voice should go for more cynical midwest academic or however one would describe Kevin's take, without just being an immitation (Crow however sounds oddly similar to Trace's and it works).

Will be holding out a bit longer to see the host/mad reveal before jumping in though. And from there, we'll see just how much wallet sign i've got.

Daigoro

more MST3k is good MST3k in my book. im excited.

To me, Bill never sounded like Crow. He always sounded like Bill. Especially in the last season he completely seemed to be playing a person, not a robot.

He's funny at times, but he never felt like a character the way Trace did Crow. I never though of him as being the same guy as Dr. F.

same. Bill was good, but Trace was great. He is Crow, like Kevin is Tom for me.

Tom_Cody

I think we have every reason to believe that he already tried and failed. Part of the gambit here is demonstrating to a network or to a major streaming service that there is still a market for the show. We know he's been trying to get the new version off the ground for a while anyways.

But yeah, it's clearly cheaper for someone that already has movie rights to do this than it is for Joel to do this independently. I hope the master plan comes to fruition and we do end up getting another 100 episodes off the back of this.
This. The artist mentioned that he has been working on it for 2 years, which signals to me that they have been trying to pitch this to traditional traditional channels for a while.

I'm still fighting the urge to support because Kickstarter goes against my core principles, but I hope this succeeds wildly and Netflix/Hulu can get a deal with them going. It would be great if Netflix put an MST3K clause in the movies they get so they can do riffs on them where desired.

You'd think that would be a major win for Netflix: pay the MST group (can't be that expensive), get tons of cheap old movies through public domain or same way KTMA/CC/Sci Fi got their movies, and have regular releases to encourage people to subscribe to Netflix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom