• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mystery Science Theater 3000: On April 14th, We've Got Movie Sign

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah.....

If it gets funded I'll watch it but I'm not donating as is. I'm happy with Rifftrax. I have no interest in giving all this money to Joel without any other notable talent to back him up.

The MST3K brand isnt what really matters to me. It's the people behind it. The show was just an excuse to get people to make fun of movies. The new cast might be funny but I'm really not sold on this

bengraven

I have to admit, I'm a Joel guy. I like Mike though and hope he shows up, but I'm assuming it's a "no".

Either way, having Joel makes me happy as long as he shows up often.

But Jonah Ray, if it is him, I think is actually a pretty good choice as a continuation of that same style of host.

Yeah, he's pretty good with improv and I've been a fan of his for years. Fan as in I enjoy his comedy, but ignore his podcast because he's so damn hipster. ha.

I just tweeted him to see if it's the case, but whether he's a stand in or the real host it's obviously him in the trailer I think.

Sanjuro

I'd be fine with an entire new cast if that was the deal. For anyone who has been to Cinematic Titanic or Rifftrax events, while great, the dialog and banter for the most part has become very scripted to the point where sometimes the comradery feels very sterile.

These guys have been doing it for a while now. Bringing energy to the project while keeping an open door for anyone involved sounds like the best move in marketing this to fans of old and new.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
If only 90s Mike Nelson could travel forward in time and see the number of people who don't consider it MST3K without him.

Well technically the "robots" were with Cinematic Titanic too, as the original Servo and Crow were on CT, though Kevin Murphy is probably the definitive Servo for a lot of folks and he was with Rifftrax. Bill Corbett only voiced Crow for 2 seasons, Trace had done the voice of Crow for most of the run.

Bill was Crow for 3 seasons.

Joel did an interview with Entertainment Weekly about the KickStarter.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/11/10/mystery-science-theater-3000-reboot

The most interesting bit from the interview is this bit on casting/writers:

That part from Joel about past cast members being able to do cameos as their mad scientist characters sounds like a bit of a "fuck you" to the Rifftrax crew, since the only mad scientist characters were Frank, Trace, and *shudder* Josh.

If only 90s Mike Nelson could travel forward in time and see the number of people who don't consider it MST3K without him.

I obviously can't speak for everyone, but even though I'd love to see Mike in front of the camera for this, the fact that he was head writer for most of the series' run is huge. If he's not there, it's not MST3K.

SimleuqiR

That sounds like Jonah Ray as the "host" in the intro video. I'm actually almost 100% sure it's him.

I would be okay with this.

HOLY shit, yes, and get Matt Mira to do one of the robot voices...and hell, bring in what's his fucking face, because kids love him and he's done voices in the past and we need more support through his massive Nerd network.

I do like Jonah from the nerdist podcast.

morningbus

I obviously can't speak for everyone, but even though I'd love to see Mike in front of the camera for this, the fact that he was head writer for most of the series' run is huge. If he's not there, it's not MST3K.

I prefer Mike and Mike-era episodes, but his role as head writer is a little overstated. He didn't write the majority of the jokes.

bengraven

I do like Jonah from the nerdist podcast.

I love him there and his comedy is great (some of my first YT videos ever were the Jonah Ray "Freeloader's Guide to Easy Living") but his personal podcast Jonah Raydio is really hipster. It's like "BandYouDon'tKnow, BandYouDon'tKnow, sound like BandThatWasOneHitWondersNowAreCultFavorites".

Frenden

Banned
Someone in the MST3K thread suggested Jon Benjamin, which would have been amazing in a way very different from Joel or Mike.

But Jonah Ray, if it is him, I think is actually a pretty good choice as a continuation of that same style of host.

I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I've gotten to work on the relaunch for a couple of years. Joel has amazing ideas for where the show can go. I was just coming to post in Off Topic about the Kickstarter and saw this thread.

Here are some thoughts from the inside: http://frenden.com/post/132948914097/joel-hodgson-reached-out-to-me-a-couple-of-years

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
I prefer Mike and Mike-era episodes, but his role as head writer is a little overstated. He didn't write the majority of the jokes.

And when he did (Rifftrax), it was not a pretty scene. Anything like that needs several writers to keep each other in check. "Head writer" is just another word for "boss" a lot of times.

Yeah, Cinematic Titanic felt suspiciously just like Classic MST3K, and that had no Mike either.

Mike's role was probably largely just "the guy who had final say on which jokes were used or not".

And when he did (Rifftrax), it was not a pretty scene. Anything like that needs several writers to keep each other in check.

Exactly. I like Mike a lot, but any one riffer's style can get stale a little too quickly.

Tobor

What percentage of the jokes would you say he wrote?

I'd like to know what percentage of disappointment is appropriate. :p

Someone asked if it was a hatfield/McCoy type feud and he said not at all, he just has no ownership or financial interest in the show.

I've gotten to work on the relaunch for a couple of years. Joel has amazing ideas for where the show can go. I was just coming to post in Off Topic about the Kickstarter and saw this thread.

Here are some thoughts from the inside: http://frenden.com/post/132948914097/joel-hodgson-reached-out-to-me-a-couple-of-years

Wow! An insider! That sounds like a dream come true.

Get me on the show.

TedHub

Banned

morningbus

Very cool and congratulations! Looking forward to some more updates about the project on Kickstarter.

What percentage of the jokes would you say he wrote?

I'd like to know what percentage of disappointment is appropriate. :p

We'll probably never know, but Mike, Kevin, and Bill don't even exclusively write their own riffs for Rifftrax. These things are team efforts.

I've heard Mike's job as head writer be jokingly called "head typist" in interviews, though. I'm sure that's an understatement, but it still underscores how this show was created.

Frenden

Banned
I'm pretty hands-off now. My participation is largely done unless it gets funded, more or less, so I'm excited to see those updates too!

I hope it makes it.

Sanjuro

That part from Joel about past cast members being able to do cameos as their mad scientist characters sounds like a bit of a "fuck you" to the Rifftrax crew, since the only mad scientist characters were Frank, Trace, and *shudder* Josh.

...and Kevin, Bill.

Mike can always come back as Torgo. The pizza is still warm.

...and Kevin, Bill.

Mike can always come back as Torgo. The pizza is still warm.

Mike was a mad too...once.

latest

Frenden

Banned
you're involved? well, now I have some hype back.

Yeah. I did a lot of the early visual development and all the character designs over the last couple of years-ish. I posted a bunch to Twitter about it, but I haven't been able to share any of the work yet, understandably.

Sanjuro

Yeah. I did a lot of the early visual development and all the character designs over the last couple of years-ish. I posted a bunch to Twitter about it, but I haven't been able to share any of the work yet, understandably.

Did you get to decide who lives and who dies?

thanks for sharing. not that I was planning on withdrawing my pledge, but I trust that Joel can build up the right staff around himself, just as he did originally.

edit: on this Jonah Ray speculation, he has tweeted that he has backed this project and retweeted the kickstarter... so maybe. I don't know him, so I'm going to check out some of his stuff to see if he is a good fit. Any suggestions?

I like the characters, but honestly Rifftrax is doing a fine job and I'm not sure there's a need to revive the show in it's original incarnation.

I'd love for them to work a deal where they teamed up, even if it's just for one episode.

We'll probably never know, but Mike, Kevin, and Bill don't even exclusively write their own riffs for Rifftrax. These things are team efforts.

I've heard Mike's job as head writer be jokingly called "head typist" in interviews, though. I'm sure that's an understatement, but it still underscores how this show was created.

They have a very different flavor from MST3K at this point, though...one obviously influenced by their own styles. I watched the....3rd(?) TransFormer movie w/ Rifftrax and had to turn it off halfway. The riffing had actually stopped at that point. Done to make way for the Mike/Kevin/Bill "characters" to have emotional breakdowns into tears when the movie wasn't even that ridiculous at that point; but it felt like they had really just run out of jokes. Adopting this YouTube approach of emotional overkill for comedic effect felt fake and overdone and not at all what I was there for.

Also, man, Rifftrax can make way ickier jokes than MST3K ever did....

They have a very different flavor from MST3K at this point, though...one obviously influenced by their own styles. I watched the....3rd(?) TransFormer movie w/ Rifftrax and had to turn it off halfway. The riffing had actually stopped at that point. Done to make way for the Mike/Kevin/Bill "characters" to have emotional breakdowns into tears when the movie wasn't even that ridiculous at that point; but it felt like they had really just run out of jokes. Adopting this YouTube approach of emotional overkill for comedic effect felt fake and overdone and not at all what I was there for.

Also, man, Rifftrax can make way ickier jokes than MST3K ever did....

Invasion of the Neptune Men did that, and it's one of my favorite episodes of MST3K. Not that I've seen their Transformers Rifftrax. Generally I prefer the live Rifftrax of terrible movies than the riffs of big budget blockbusters. Rifftrax Live has never not been worth the money.

I'd hope for some of the more creative stuff that goes on during the movies from time to time in MST3K that you really don't get in Rifftrax. Stuff like Mike's brother going off for a smoke, or Crow becoming a balerian... etc. You wouldn't want it every week, sure, but it's part of what gave MST3K it's own flavour.

The thing regarding the cast is so strange. Literally everyone related to MST3K is still doing what they originally did in the show (riffing), but not as a single entity.

I can't find the quote at the moment, but I'm pretty sure Mike has said in the past that "Head Writer" basically meant he was responsible for collecting and organizing the entire writing staff's riffs. I love the man (well, if I ignore his politics) as much as the next guy, but it's not like he was the sole defining voice behind MST3K.

I just assumed those voices were placeholders. It always took awhile for new cast members to find their groove, but if those are the actual voices... it might take longer than usual.

Invasion of the Neptune Men

...is a much, much more unwatchable movie than TransFormers 3 or whatever it was. It really served the commentary well then. Here it rang hollow and I was able to just finish watching the movie just fine without the Rifftrax, even if it was kind of dumb. I couldn't do that with IotNM.

I like RiffTrax, depending on how on-the-ball they are. The Batman and Robin shorts I saw were great (in spite of the dirtier jokes they peppered them with), and their shorts in general are pretty good from my experience. But, on average, it's not as funny as MST3K.

...is a much, much more unwatchable movie than TransFormers 3 or whatever it was. It really served the commentary well then. Here it rang hollow and I was able to just finish watching the movie just fine without the Rifftrax, even if it was kind of dumb. I couldn't do that with IotNM.

I like RiffTrax, depending on how on-the-ball they are. The Batman and Robin shorts I saw were great (in spite of the dirtier jokes they peppered them with), and their shorts in general are pretty good from my experience. But, on average, it's not as funny as MST3K.

The mistake you made was watching Rifftrax episodes with big budget movies. Their bread and butter is exactly where it was with MST3K: in shitty, lower budget movies.

And I disagree about it being less funny on average. Just like with MST3K, some episodes are misses, but they've got plenty of hits under their belts too.

The thing regarding the cast is so strange. Literally everyone related to MST3K is still doing what they originally did in the show (riffing), but not as a single entity.

I love Doctor Who. It was never the work of a single creative (like say, Twin Peaks). What allowed it to continue for as long as it did, was turn over. It's been going strong for ten more years because people who loved it as fans, are now making it.

MST3K was no different. It wouldn't have survived as long as it did without new people coming in and replacing those who left as things went on... and we all now agree that the show was still 'MST3K' in its later years.

Having the guy that started it oversee a new group of enthusiastic talents (who also happen to be fans) coming on board to carry things on... is wonderful. If the show had never been cancelled I very much doubt we'd still have Mike, Bill and Kevin all on the show, and maybe they'd all have left.

This feels right to me.

I love Doctor Who. It was never the work of a single creative (like say, Twin Peaks). What allowed it to continue for as long as it did, was turn over. It's been going strong for ten more years because people who loved it as fans, are now making it.

MST3K was no different. It wouldn't have survived as long as it did without new people coming in and replacing those who left as things went on... and we all now agree that the show was still 'MST3K' in its later years.

Having the guy that started it oversee a new group of enthusiastic talents (who also happen to be fans) coming on board to carry things on... is wonderful. If the show had never been cancelled I very much doubt we'd still have Mike, Bill and Kevin all on the show, and maybe they'd all have left.

This feels right to me.

That's well said. Ever since Joel teased the reboot he had said there would be a new cast, so I'm not disappointed.

morningbus

I didn't think the Crow voice in the pitch video was too bad, really. It had traces of Trace in it.

Tom Servo, though. You could get Patrick Warburton and it wouldn't be good enough.

Tobor

All that is fine, but not for backing sight unseen.

Like I said, if this new cast is good and the writing is good, I'm in. But I can't pledge given the unknowns.

You guys are all entitled to your own opinions about Rifftrax, which is fine. Their jokes are still way more NSFW than MST3K was (I only remember one, maybe two blatant masturbation jokes in MST3K's entire run and they're all over in Rifftrax), and that has been a real deterrent for me.

And despite being a Joel-era kind of guy, I have absolutely no qualms about recasting on the new version. Bring it on!

Fast approaching 25% of the way there. Looks like it's going to be a question of how many episodes, not whether or not this happens.

Blader

You guys are all entitled to your own opinions about Rifftrax, which is fine. Their jokes are still way more NSFW than MST3K was (I only remember one, maybe two blatant masturbation jokes in MST3K's entire run and they're all over in Rifftrax), and that has been a real deterrent for me.

And despite being a Joel-era kind of guy, I have absolutely no qualms about recasting on the new version. Bring it on!

Are you blasting Rifftrax at work? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom