• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mystery Science Theater 3000: On April 14th, We've Got Movie Sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanjuro

So the update is backers only? I'm going to donate, but still trying to determine which tier.

What's the news?

Nothing big. It was just congratulating the progress. I also donated because I forgot they don't charge until late December. I'm giving a decent amount right now, going to up it with more news and when I start my new job.

Blader

If this succeeds and money gets offered, wonder if some of the old guys will come back in some capacity (cameos, writing, etc). They are not involved now in this project, but once money is offered, do we think they aren't going to jump on board?

I could see Mike maybe making a video cameo at some point (and maybe Bill and Kevin do voice cameos as Mike's own handmade Crow and Servo?), but I can't imagine at least the Rifftrax guys ever making a serious contribution to the show. They have their own thing going on, which they can do on their time and at the most ROI for them.

Not sure what Trace and Frank's deal is, though.

opoth

Banned
I'm actually a little surprised at how well the KS is going even as we're heading into the slower period now.

I hope they play it right and feed us some more information between now and Turkey Day to keep people interested. I think once it hits $3.3mil, you'll start to see things pick up again as the return on investment becomes greater for contributors.

I could see Mike maybe making a video cameo at some point (and maybe Bill and Kevin do voice cameos as Mike's own handmade Crow and Servo?), but I can't imagine at least the Rifftrax guys ever making a serious contribution to the show. They have their own thing going on, which they can do on their time and at the most ROI for them.

Not sure what Trace and Frank's deal is, though.
They either get $0 (Frank) or very little (Trace) from their time on MST3K. They are interested in doing work that will mean they get to reap the benefits. No different from the Rifftrax folks.

Joel is involved because he stands to benefit from MST3K.

Blader

Just randomly found this Joel tweet from last year, to add more fuel to the Jonah Ray fire:

https://twitter.com/joelghodgson/status/533466653020151808

They either get $0 (Frank) or very little (Trace) from their time on MST3K. They are interested in doing work that will mean they get to reap the benefits. No different from the Rifftrax folks.

Joel is involved because he stands to benefit from MST3K.

Oh I get that. I suppose my real question was a little more mean-spirited. :lol What I meant was more, what exactly do Trace and Frank have going on? I know they're doing "Return of the Mads" riffing, and I forgot Trace is on Joel's Yahoo space series, but I can't imagine that the former is anywhere near as lucrative as Rifftrax is for Mike/Bill/Kevin?

Oh I get that. I suppose my real question was a little more mean-spirited. :lol What I meant was more, what exactly do Trace and Frank have going on? I know they're doing "Return of the Mads" riffing, and I forgot Trace is on Joel's Yahoo space series, but I can't imagine that the former is anywhere near as lucrative as Rifftrax is for Mike/Bill/Kevin?
Trace has his books that he writes and is doing the convention circuit every now and then. I don't know about other than that.

Frank is on a radio show with John Fugelsang very regularly and does his own Podhouse 90 thing.

So yeah, they're pretty busy with doing things that pay the bills.

And no, it's nowhere near the Rifftrax level, but Mike at least has a major ownership of Rifftrax and I'd guess that Bill and Kevin do as well. And Rifftrax puts out so much content. So it's an apples and oranges comparison.

Kickstarter Update 2.0 just went out.

Joel really gets into cost and original cast situation.

And it's a public update for everyone to see. He lays it all bare here as to why things are the way they are, AND makes it clear that he's going to ask everyone if they want to come back (while simultaneously trying to offer a better wage than before).

Maybe no one else will come back. Maybe everyone will. Either way, I think it makes sense... but I also think he's right to want the focus to mainly be on the new talent, with the old talent sort of being like training wheels for them.

He compares it to Doctor Who and Saturday Night Live... and I think it's an apt comparison.

Sanjuro

Yes he is, by virtue of appeals to Nostalgia. It may not be aimed at the old fans, but they're certainly going to make up the majority of people paying for it.

That could be said of anything that ever existed. I don't think he is saying, 'Hey, new people. This is only for the old dudes. Sorry!'

gabbo

That could be said of anything that ever existed. I don't think he is saying, 'Hey, new people. This is only for the old dudes. Sorry!'

We agree - I think the new episodes will be aimed at a new audience as much as the old one, as he makes clear. But this kickstarter is aimed squarely at people who know what the show is and are willing to fork over money for more, with the hopes of growing the audience.

Sanjuro

We agree - I think the new episodes will be aimed at a new audience as much as the old one, as he makes clear. But this kickstarter is aimed squarely at people who know what the show is and are willing to fork over money for more, with the hopes of growing the audience.

I get that. Kickstarter alone targets a wider demo outside of old fans of the program alone. Nowhere is he attempting to leave newcomers out of the experience.

Abounder

Banned
The new voices will be jarring for a while especially if they aren't as polished as their veteran counterparts, but I'm game for more MST3K. I think just by bringing it back it'll attract a new audience, might be a hard sell to the smart phone generation though

The problem is that MST3K got canceled after just two hosts, and instead of becoming a proud tradition, some audiences started to see it as a competition between "Team Joel" and "Team Mike." I think that if MST3K had lasted long enough to have a third host, this wouldn't have happened. It makes me sad that it did.

I would back a "Team Joel" vs "Team Mike" episode lol

Exactly right, of course he's asking the old fans to fund them these are his last words in the pitch video: "Okay die-hard Mistys, you have all the information you need. I don't expect anyone to get this but I know the right people will."

That's exactly why some people are leery of supporting this with their money. MST3K fans are attracted to the idea, but when you look past the pitch video and read into the campaign you see that it's most likely not going to be the MST3K they remember or expect for their money.

gabbo

The new voices will be jarring for a while especially if they aren't as polished as their veteran counterparts, but I'm game for more MST3K. I think just by bringing it back it'll attract a new audience, might be a hard sell to the smart phone generation though

I would back a "Team Joel" vs "Team Mike" episode lol

Would Kevin have to fight himself?

Sanjuro

Kevin was getting money off MST3K apparently, Mike was not.

Also, some people seem a bit too invested in legacy and other meaningless garbo. Everything about this has screamed fun to me. *shrugs*

DiscoJer

Also, some people seem a bit too invested in legacy and other meaningless garbo. Everything about this has screamed fun to me. *shrugs*

Eh. I just don't get internet hipster humor. I don't use Uber, II don't know what Cards against Humanity is (other than an allegedly funny card game). don't listen to podcasts, I don't especially like Felicia Day or Wil Wheaton or all the other online nerd stuff that this seems to be catering to.

I liked the humor on the old MST3K. B movies. Science Fiction jokes - has any other show joked about Isaac Asimov?. Progressive rock.

It might be occasionally funny like Riff Trax. But that uses a lot of popular references I don't get, not to mention dirty jokes and bathroom humor.

Eh. I just don't get internet hipster humor. I don't use Uber, II don't know what Cards against Humanity is (other than an allegedly funny card game). don't listen to podcasts, I don't especially like Felicia Day or Wil Wheaton or all the other online nerd stuff that this seems to be catering to.

I liked the humor on the old MST3K. B movies. Science Fiction jokes - has any other show joked about Isaac Asimov?. Progressive rock.

It might be occasionally funny like Riff Trax. But that uses a lot of popular references I don't get, not to mention dirty jokes and bathroom humor.

Please, if it's between your AARP membership and this Kickstarter, don't put your life in jeopardy. Me, I watched MST3K when it was on and I think I can forgo a few weeks worth of Centrum Silver to see my old pals back on the teevee again. Definitely not if they bring out the "rude humor" that's all the rage these days. Of course MST3K was the height of dignified, sensible chuckles in its time.

Spaghetti

the public update yesterday is a really, really great example of how to deal with a.) people questioning kickstarter cost, b.) bringing back an old property people have nostalgia for, and c.) rebuilding a few old burned bridges

hope they get the maximum amount for a full season.

Tom_Cody

the public update yesterday is a really, really great example of how to deal with a.) people questioning kickstarter cost, b.) bringing back an old property people have nostalgia for, and c.) rebuilding a few old burned bridges

hope they get the maximum amount for a full season.
The update was great. Having read his AMA, there wasn't much new for me, but I think he did a really good job of framing his positions on the common complains. This isn't a cast reunion, it's a reboot from the original creator, and it will hopefully get more of the original talent involved if they can get enough money.

daveo42

Banned
Thought the asking cost was a bit on the high side, but I've still dropped enough to get the show on Blu-Ray. Hoping we hit the full season.

Edit: Cost explanation was solid. Joel on point with this stuff. I do hope we can get the old cast back for this as well, even if it is just to pass the torch over to the new cast.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Can anyone tell me if 25% for gifts/shipping is standard KS practice?

You mean their estimate for how much the rewards will cost to produce/ship out? I mean, there's no hard and fast KS rule for that, it's just their estimate. But it sounds relatively fair. Hell, at this point, they're already going to be making and shipping out thousands of t-shirts, mugs, USB drives, posters, keychains, stickers, etc. And that number is only gonna get bigger by the time the KS ends. Seems pretty fair to me.

butalala

I'm not really asking if it's fair (i'm sure that Joel and his team have their facts figured out), but does the average Kickstarter campaign spend 25% of their intake on gifts and things? It seems somewhat wasteful to me.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Feeling smug....

LIVmaE7.jpg

Why not have new robots? They could bring on the old cast for the first episode to show Mike going back to Earth and a new villain (possibly Joel) launching a new human with new robots so that the new cast can freely shape their own identities.

Sanjuro

Because people would prefer Crow and Servo to Beeper and Carl.

They should be able to shape the characters as they see fit if they are given the duration.

Cheesemeister no! Don't leave me as the one hold out! :(

I want MST3K to come back more than anything. Watching the pitch video for the first time? Those feels. It's probably what seeing your best friend come back to life feels like. This show has had a profound impact on my life at a deeply personal level, second only to Super Mario Bros. among works of media.

While the top tier of rewards are impractical due to budget and my living in Japan, I had to support this effort to the greatest extent possible. I'd be buying the Blu-Rays and other merch anyway. The risk is also acceptably low enough for me. I do expect the show to become self-sustainable, however, and do not anticipate doing crowd funding ever again. Annual subscriptions? Sign me up.

Tobor

Having read Joel's update, and most importantly his thoughts on the new and old cast, I'm leaning towards acceptance here.

I'm still not backing as I have no idea who the new cast is yet. Once he announces the new cast and hopefully has a clip or something, I might be back in.

What still baffles me is that he didnt think ahead about what a completely new cast would mean to fans and that it would require this kind of explanation. It's obvious to me, but he seems like he was surprised by the feedback.

gabbo

Why not have new robots? They could bring on the old cast for the first episode to show Mike going back to Earth and a new villain (possibly Joel) launching a new human with new robots so that the new cast can freely shape their own identities.

Technically, Mike and the bots are already on earth.

From reddit comes supposed news from the print version of Entertainment Weekley about the new cast

https://www.reddit.com/r/MST3K/comments/3sqrqx/entertainment_weekly_magazine_article_reveals/

Felicia Day will be a Mad, and Jonah Ray, Baron Vaughn, and Hampton Yount will be the crew, as human, Servo and Crow, respectively.

Well, now we wait for confirmation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom